| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14801 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 444, 445, 446, 447, 448, 449, 450 ... 593  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Thank you for the advice, j-dub and Freetahtah! I'm on day four and things are greatly improved. Still there, which is scary, but really diminished thanks to some medicated ear foam meds and ibuprofen. It's been exhausting but looking up.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:29 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

This is very minor in the grand scheme of things, but I can't shake a feeling of being annoyed...

I took three weeks of medical leave because my recovery was going very slowly. I'm now back at work part time. A coworker who works in a different office came in and said hi to me then told me I need to take care of my health because health is all you've got.

It was meant in a kind way (she is a very sweet woman) but, ugh! I KNOW I have to take care of my health! I eat very well. I exercise. I sleep 7-9 hours a night. I take my vitamins. I wear sunscreen. And yet I STILL GOT SICK. Because bodies are imperfect and at times impervious to even our best efforts.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:10 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I got dumped. Kind of out of the blue. Then had to deal with a too-drunk roommate on top of being sad enough to cry.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

missdelaney wrote:
I got dumped. Kind of out of the blue. Then had to deal with a too-drunk roommate on top of being sad enough to cry.

I'm so sorry, missdelaney...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:00 am 
Chard Martyr

Such a bummer. I'm sorry missdelaney.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:00 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Thanks, guys. I'm dealing now that the roommate has gone to sleep.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:32 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

That sucks, missdelaney. Breakups are never fun. If i possessed the ability to control magic i would totally be casting a happy "everything will be okay" spell in your direction. Since i can't i will just be sending some good vibes your way, which might not be much but it is better than nothing.
The worst thing about my day was waking up from a dream that involved saving a a puppy with my dog, Ringo, only to remember that Ringo is dead and i will never see him again. I know i should be grateful for the time i had with him but that doesn't make it hurt any less.
The second worst thing was that for some reason i thought my class started at 12:00 instead of 11:00, and i didn't even realize it until i walked in fifty minutes late in the middle of the lecture. My professor didn't really care, but i *hate* being late for class so much that it ruined what little possibilities of happiness i had today.
Oh well. I am off to make some salted caramel skillet cookie pie and drown my sadness in chocolate. Horray!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:34 am 

Sorry missdelaney :( *hugs*

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:39 am 
Married to the wolfman

Pouring another hour and a half into a problem that I've already spent several hours working on and making absolutely no genuine progress. If I'd known I wasn't going to get anywhere, I'd have stopped an hour and a half ago, before my eye strain kicked in, so I could still do something using my eyes to relax afterwards.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:56 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

coldandsleepy wrote:
Pouring another hour and a half into a problem that I've already spent several hours working on and making absolutely no genuine progress. If I'd known I wasn't going to get anywhere, I'd have stopped an hour and a half ago, before my eye strain kicked in, so I could still do something using my eyes to relax afterwards.

I did this in grad school more than once.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:00 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

People who live near me with small, barky dog - do not let your dog out to bark at 6 am. It makes my big dogs bark and that it is a whole other thing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:25 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

www.midwayfilm.com

The trailer is devastating. I can't believe birds on a middle-of-nowhere island are dying from eating plastic trash. :(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:53 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I got an email this morning letting me know that the "gluten-free" cookies I made for a retreat this weekend, and fed to people who are gluten-free, actually weren't gluten-free. I had no idea that spelt flour wasn't actually gluten-free. I don't think anybody actually got sick from the cookies, but I know they could have and I feel like the biggest crasshole ever right now. I emailed as many of the people who were there as I could to apologize, but that doesn't really make it okay. I could have seriously harmed somebody by giving them cookies that weren't gluten-free and telling them that they were. Ugh. I feel horrible. :(

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:05 am 

missdelaney: Big hugs to you!! I can imagine the felt like it came out of nowhere! I hope you can find some ways to treat yo'self, because you rock.

annabazoo: That dream sounds heartbreaking. I'm so sorry you had it. I hate being late and confused for things, too, but I htink all you can do is shake it off and try to do better next time. I spend a lot of time beating myself up about things, and it doesn't benefit anyway.

choirqueer: You are the biggest sweetheart ever. I wouldn't have known that either. I am sorry that you are feeling this way. I think all you can do is let people know; I know that they know your intentions were good.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:05 am 
Chard Martyr

Spelt flour doesn't usually seriously affect g/f people unless they are full-on celiac. I'm sure they are fine! We had an incident at a vegan bake sale a few years ago where someone got sick off some errant dairy in one of the goods. They did get sick, but were hugely forgiving and we all felt horrible. Don't worry about it--you weren't intentionally trying to feed them gluten!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:18 am 

Yeah, I did try to tell everyone who ate the cookies what exactly was in them, just in case someone might be sensitive to something else, so I think most of the GF people did hear me say that they contained spelt flour, but I did leave them unattended with just a sign that said "vegan and gluten free" for long enough that someone could have eaten some. As far as I know, nobody actually got sick, and obviously it was completely an accident, but I still feel like I should have researched that more carefully and it was my responsibility to know what I was serving people.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:17 pm 

Not a big deal, but I hate when I start crying and can't get myself calmed down, especially at work.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:00 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

ndpittman wrote:
Not a big deal, but I hate when I start crying and can't get myself calmed down, especially at work.

Ugh, yeah, me too. It seems that once I start crying, I have a hair trigger and will start back up again just thinking about the thing that made me cry or something even remotely related to it.

Hugs to you for whatever it is that upset you!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:26 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I left my forking lights on all day, and now my forking battery is dead in the forking parking lot of my forking office. So I am here waiting for forking AAA. Fork.

I mean, it could have been worse. I could be stuck in some random parking lot or on the side of the road or something. But this is still laaaaaaaaaaaame.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:48 pm 
Semen Strong

choirqueer wrote:
Yeah, I did try to tell everyone who ate the cookies what exactly was in them, just in case someone might be sensitive to something else, so I think most of the GF people did hear me say that they contained spelt flour, but I did leave them unattended with just a sign that said "vegan and gluten free" for long enough that someone could have eaten some. As far as I know, nobody actually got sick, and obviously it was completely an accident, but I still feel like I should have researched that more carefully and it was my responsibility to know what I was serving people.

You are awesome for baking cookies, and maybe it would be easier to not feel bad if you could take it as a learning experience that next time you'll put out a sign with the ingredients so people can read them? We do that at all our bake sales. Also, the friends I have who are very gluten sensitive generally won't touch cookies unless they know the cookies were definitely made in a dedicated glutenfree oven. So probably the worst thing you did was give people some extra unintended farts.

I just want to say, please be nice to yourself.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:59 pm 

So this week, we have TELPAS (collecting of writing samples and rating of students who are English Language Learners) and Curriculum Assessments. The schedule is messed up due to assessments, so classes are all switched around. We're still expected to get TELPAS done. We couldn't start until Tuesday and the window closes Wednesday next week! I teach Special Education, who are also mostly ELL. They are also all mostly on a pre-K-2 reading level (7th grade kids).
Today, because 8th grade was all testing and only one part of 7th grade was testing (pre-AP), I ended up with the same 7th grade kids for three class periods. I got to teach them Math, Reading and my normal class of English. This is the group that regularly fights, bites, spits, tears stuff up and has temper tantrums. I got to handle 15 of them, by myself, with no aide and when I did call for help from the office, no one came. By that time I had two desks thrown and a book destroyed.
Friday I get the 8th grade group, which is thankfully smaller and mostly better behaved. But they're still a pill and a half. 11 + a few others that are not in the prevocational program. I am just wondering who I pissed off to get to have all the difficult kids for half the day both today and Friday.
I have a raging headache. And I ate two candy bars for dinner.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:09 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I'm sorry, missd.
Assilembob, that sounds dreadful. And totally worth eating a lot of candy bars over.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:17 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Apparently, I broke my knuckle 2 months ago without noticing it. Now I need to have an X-ray to confirm it, and worst case scenario they're going to break my hand again and put me up with a cast. I can't do any work like that - which means I won't get paid - and I am not allowed to play roller derby, which is the worst punishment of all.

GODDAMNIT.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:33 am 
Chard Martyr

ashley wrote:
I left my forking lights on all day, and now my forking battery is dead in the forking parking lot of my forking office. So I am here waiting for forking AAA. Fork.

I mean, it could have been worse. I could be stuck in some random parking lot or on the side of the road or something. But this is still laaaaaaaaaaaame.

I did that yesterday. It's so foggy (both literally and figuratively) in the mornings that I forgot my lights were on. Luckily I had a coworker on hand to give me a boost, but then I got home and locked my keys in my car. Really, all I could do is laugh because it was a shiitake day (for other reasons) all around.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:53 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Finding out the injured dog I helped return to it's owner on Monday is more than likely going to be put to sleep. The owner admitted to the vet that she ignored the injury and it has had it for a while and since hasn't called the vet about the operation even though they were willing to give her a steep discount.

Reply to topic  [ 14801 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 444, 445, 446, 447, 448, 449, 450 ... 593  Next