| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cream of tartar?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:54 am 
Bathes in Braggs

This morning, I wanted to buy some cream of tartar to experiment with Miyoko's/loomi's flax meringue. I went to our local Asian shop because I remembered seeing it there before. I bought a small jar, but when I got home, I noticed it has a distinct vanilla smell.

I looked at the Indonesian ingredient list and it says: lactosa, vaneli, citric acid. So probably: lactose, vanilla, citric acid. What the fizzle, that's not normal cream of tartar right? The real stuff is supposed be vegan at least?

I looked up the brand online (it's called Koepoe-koepoe), and people seem to use is as regular cream of tartar. I'm confused, is this some kind of cheap substitute for the real thing? Why does it have lactose and vanilla?

Any Dutchies who know where I can get REAL cream or tartar?

Post subject: Re: Cream of tartar?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:43 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm not at home right now, but I think I have an American jar of cream of tartar sitting neglected and unopened in my kitchen cupboard. You can have it if you want! (Assuming it hasn't expired.) I'll be back home on Friday evening and can check if that's indeed what it is, and we can arrange a handoff.

If you can't wait that long, I'm pretty sure you can get it at Eickholtz on the Leidsestraat!

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:14 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Thanks lepelaar! I really want to try and make some of that meringue, so I might take you up on that if I can't find real cream of tartar in the shops here.

Be careful what you're giving away though, you might want to make some of this stuff yourself sometime. It's not very hard to do at all.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:00 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I might try my hand at that stuff someday, but I don't expect it to be anytime soon. I'll be happy to see it go to use before then! Besides, I get to N. America usually about once a year, so I can always pick up some more when I'm there if I decide to give it a go. (Or order online, as I'll probably be doing with a lot more stuff soon.)

Just let me know what'll work for you with a hand off. I can bring it to the den Haag meetup, or I can bring it to work one weekend if you want it before then.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:41 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Is wijnsteenzuurbakpoeder the same thing or am I way off base?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:52 am 
Bathes in Braggs

No, I don't think it is. The wijnsteenzuurbakpoeder I found at our local health food store was a mixture of cream of tartar/wijnsteenzuur and baking soda (50/50 or something). So that wouldn't work for the meringue.

I read up on it a little, and I think it is possible to sub powdered citric adic for the cream of tartar/wijnsteenzuur. That's probably why there is citric acid in the little jar I bought. To bad it also had lactose and vanilla...

I think I'll buy some pure citric acid (which is also sold at the Asian shop) and try making the meringue with that. Then I can compare it to lepelaar's cream of tartar if she brings it to the meetup for me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:14 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'll definitely bring it to the meet up. I just checked, though, and the "best by date" on the jar I've got is October 2012. Don't know how quickly it loses its effectiveness. It hasn't been opened, so it hasn't be exposed to air or moisture, so that might help. Hope it's still good.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:21 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I'll give it a try. Thanks :-)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:42 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I have no idea if this is actually helpful at all, but this place is supposed to sell it http://www.britishstore.nl/ at least according to this site http://www.expatica.com/nl/leisure/dining_cuisine/where-to-find-food-from-home--856_12617.html and this one http://www.amsterdam-mamas.nl/stories/craft-chaos/craft-chaos-homemade-playdough

I had no idea cream of tartar is not used much in Europe. But then, i don't really know what it's mainly used for here. Probably play-dough. In fact mine came with a play-dough recipe on the tub.

The citric acid as a substitute sounds like a good idea to me. I think it's got a somewhat stronger flavour, but i don't think it would matter too much if you're just using 'pinches'. A pinch of salt might help too. Sometimes vinegar or lemon juice is used, but i think the powdered acid is probably a better option.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:10 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Hey, Cornelie, happy to send you some if Lepelaar's doesn't work out! Or to any of you lovelies, should you want <3 It's easy to come by here and would be cheap to send!

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:02 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Thanks! I'll see how it goes with the citric acid first.