| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: intermittant acid reflux/indigestion/stomach pains
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:52 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

My husband has been experiencing mild stomach/abdomen area pains since about the summer of 2012. They are not that regular. Normally he is in excellent health and never gets sick. He had a physical in August 2012 and told the dr and the dr recommended he try some sort of regular antacid type thing (like prilosec) for 2 weeks. That helped and it went away. It comes back every now and then. It’s come back a few times lately and he has asked to take one of my zantac (I have wicked pregnancy acid reflux) and that usually helps.

So today I asked him if he remembered exactly when he started having these pains. We went to Yellowstone in June 2012 so I asked if it was before or after and he said after.
Guess what we talked about in Yellowstone? Having kids. Guess who’s pregnant now? Me.
I think it’s stress. Previously we had not planned on ever having kids. Now we are going to have one in May (ie 2 months from now!)

The thing is my husband is the most laid back, calm person on the face of the planet and doesn’t get stressed so when I tell him it’s stress he doesn’t fully believe me. this morning he was like “well I think it started before we found out you were pregnant” and im like “yeah but it happened AFTER we decided to even have kids!

I think it’s 100% stress/worry. He’s worried about becoming a father and also about all of a sudden becoming the sole income earner in our house (im quitting my job).
I understand how that could stress someone out!!!

Am I overlooking something else that could be causing it?
Is there anything he can do besides popping an acid reducer when he feels this way?

Post subject: Re: intermittant acid reflux/indigestion/stomach pains
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:58 pm 
WRETCHED

Is the pain truly in his stomach? Does it ever get really bad like he thinks he is having a heart attack? Does it occur on the right side? right shoulder? right back?

Gallstones are another option if any of the above is happening.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:13 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

It's probably stress. I've been battling stress related heartburn since around November. OTC meds were doing nothing for me, so I went to the health food store and was recommended papaya tablet enzymes - it was $8 for the large bottle so not too expensive of an investment. I had made the mistake of eating something spicy for lunch so I was in real dire straits and figured it was worth a shot, and they worked for me. They're chewables, taste like fruit, and if they don't work out like I said, it's not a ton of money.

I would also tell him to be mindful of what he eats, spicy foods, acidic foods, etc.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:48 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

linanil, it's definitely in his abdomen and it's not serious pain at all. i think it's like a mild annoyance. the acid reducers definitely help.

MBM, is the papaya tablet something he would need to take everyday or would it be in place of an acid reducer when he doesnt feel good?
i think it's a great idea but i dont envision him taking something daily. i can barely get him to remember to give the dog his meds.

he does like spicy food but it doesnt seem like if he eats spicy food he gets a pain. so i dunno if that is related or not.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:58 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

They're a 'take them when you have a problem or you know you're about to have a problem (like right before you eat)' type of thing, not something he would take every morning and then they would work all day.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:42 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Has he tried chewing fennel or drinking fennel tea? Fennel can help with stomach upset. It's certainly worth a try if you've already got fennel seeds on your spice rack anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:46 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

LisaPunk wrote:
My husband has been experiencing mild stomach/abdomen area pains since about the summer of 2012. They are not that regular. Normally he is in excellent health and never gets sick.

I don't know if you guys are, uh, a mixed marriage, but does he eat dairy stuff still? If not, never mind, but if so, you might find out if it lines up with eating milk-based stuff since you can develop lactose intolerance as you get older, especially if you eat less dairy for a long time (like if you're mostly vegetarian but are married to a vegan cook).

That might be totally irrelevant, but that was my experience...

Aside from that, I'd still go with stress.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:06 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Hahaha! “mixed marriage” I love it! at first I thought you were talking racially and I was thinking “where are we going with this?!?!?”

But yes we are a “mixed marriage.” My husband is still technically an omni. He eats primarily vegan at home because I love to cook and he doesn’t like to make decisions and likes when food magically appears in front of him. on nights I don’t feel like making a gourmet meal (seems rather frequent since I got pregnant :-P ) he is basically lacto-ovo veg so pizza or a frozen burrito, etc. take out he will often get veg food but it may have dairy in it. he eats dairy yogurt. At lunch every day during the work week I think he still eats chicken or tuna.

I actually said to him recently when he was complaining that I thought maybe he was lactose intolerant cause I went through the same thing myself around age 27. I was lacto-ovo and all of a sudden I was dog sick for months and months and I had horrible stomach pains, etc etc etc. my dr thought it was my gallbladder and I had an u/s and everything. Finally my husband looked on the internet at like webmd or something and was like “you’re lactose intolerant”

So when I told him the other night I thought that’s what it was he was like “but ive never had a problem before” and I was like “HELLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!”

I remember very specifically my dr originally kept asking me diet questions like if I ate X did I feel sick and I couldn’t pin it to diet because it wasn’t like “eat dairy feel sick immediately” but that’s what it ended up being.

I haven’t ruled that totally out so it’s a good suggestion. I may try to convince him to cut down on dairy for awhile (the vegan in me says SQUEEEEEEEE!!!!!) and see if it helps.

The acid reducers do seem to really help though which is why I think maybe it’s not lactose intolerance. Would that help alleviate symptoms of that?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:13 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

What kind of acid reducers is he taking? I think Tums and Pepto and ones like that can reduce gas, which is a symptom of lactose intolerance. So yes, probably.

But yeah, growing up I ate cheese and milk like a fiend but in my early 20s I started getting terrible stomach pains/gas from it. I would try to convince him to cut it out for a week or two and see if that helps, just to rule it out as a potential cause. From what it sounds like it's mainly being triggered by stress, but if his stomach is already warbly from the dairy or acidic foods or whatever the stress could send it into overdrive.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:27 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

it was a pill one rather than a Tums type one.
i forget what the first one he took was. it was literally a generic pill called "ACID REDUCER" that we had in the closet from when one of our dogs was sick.

now he's been asking for my (generic) zantac.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:12 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I don't know if this is helpful or not but just in case.... I was thrilled to finally narrow down my random heartburn to freshly ground black pepper. I have not had heartburn once since I stopped using it about a year ago.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:26 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

LisaPunk wrote:
The acid reducers do seem to really help though which is why I think maybe it’s not lactose intolerance. Would that help alleviate symptoms of that?

They did for me, too, back in the day. I went through a lot of them before figuring it out.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:26 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

In order for Prilosec to work, you generally have to keep taking it. Prilosec tends to be a stronger acid reducer than Zantac or others related to Zantac, but all of these medications only work on the day you take them.

If he hasn't been back to the doctor since August, it would be a good idea to check in since reflux can cause damage that can lead to esophageal cancer, which is preventable with proper treatment and surveillance. Other concerns would be an ulcer, gastritis or H. pylori infection, so just an all around good idea to revisit this issue with his doctor, both for treatment options and to make sure a serious problem isn't missed.