| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142 ... 477  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:00 am 
WELFARIST!

Moon wrote:
FootFace wrote:
chouettes crêpes wrote:
i was hanging out with some friends this weekend and one of them is due with her first child in a few weeks. she was joking that she'd like all of her friends to start having babies too and they suggested that i should be next. this was mostly a joke because they all know that while i love kids and i love working around children, i'm not interested in having any myself. but then my other friend goes on to say that raising a kid vegan would be unkind or inappropriate to the kid. i mean, i don't personally know what it'd be like to raise a kid to be vegan, but i think it's a perfectly reasonable assumption to want to raise your own kid vegan.... i just thought it was annoying that she was making all these assumptions about social and dietary repercussions when she's never considered the diet herself.

And that's when you have a spite baby.

Spite babies have the most vitamin b

B12 to be specific!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:10 am 
Chard Martyr

Efcliz wrote:

I often do a lot of sniffing of my husbands food. Mostly it is to try and get a sense of how to veganise it but it also just smells nice. I am so not one of those vegans that doesn't like the smell of meat or dairy.

I don't usually like the smell of meat and dairy, but I will totally think about veganizing it. A coworker was heating up a lamb curry the other day and it smelled amazing. I quizzed her on what went into it and I think she thought I was being judgmental, when really I just wanted to recreate it, vegan-style.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:11 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I often tell Brian that i'm going to eat his pizza. He picks them up and our whole car smells like a friggin' pizza! I probably wouldn't say that to anyone else though, because they might think i'm serious.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:21 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'll often be walking on the street and smell meat cooking or pizza, and I'll comment that it smells good. my bf doesn't seem to think it's unusual but I probably wouldn't say it around anyone else because I can imagine them thinking that it means I really miss meat and cheese and secretly want to eat it.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:23 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I'm glad I'm not the only one who still finds those smells "yummy," even if I don't want to eat the food. I'm not sure I'll ever be at a point where I'm repulsed by the smell. It smells good, I'd just never consider eating it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:29 am 
Chard Martyr

Oh man, when I pass a Subway and I'm hungry I positively salivate! Then I get a sandwich and totally regret it because man, those veggies are shiitake quality. The only exception is when I passed a Subway in Hiroshima. I had been walking for hours and was starving, but I was so tired of trying to figure out what did or did not have fish in it with Japanese food, and this Subway had everything in English and they even had avocado! That was the best sandwich ever. I bought two so I could eat one at my hostel later on.

Wait...what is this thread about again? Oops. Carry on.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:53 am 
WELFARIST!

Pizza is the only smell I still really love. Everything else makes me gag. I think it may be because vegan pizza and omni pizza smell the same whereas a veggie burger and a meat burger smell vastly different.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:06 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Pinko wrote:
Why is there no vegan toothpaste that is like those crazy, freshness-blasted, super sweet toothpastes turned out by P&G and whoever else? Every time I end up having to use toothpaste at someone else's house I'm like, "whoa!" And then I'm kind of sad to go back to my shitty hippie toothpaste.

Ha! I have the exact opposite reaction. Those toothpastes are so sweet, I can't imagine using one on a regular basis. Still, it took me a looooong time to get used to my shitty hippie toothpaste just because it wasn't so sweet. Weird what you get used to after awhile.

Already posted about this in the space to post things...topic, but re: Sriracha Lays, my friend brought me some because he is AWESOME, and then I read the ingredients and felt so bad. I hate having to turn down food gifts. I know I could have pretended and then given them away, but he specifically said something about them being vegan, so I checked, and also he would have asked me what I thought about them and I hate lying, even about dumb stuff like that. But then he was like, 'Just eat them, I won't tell anyone!' And I was like, 'Dude...it's my ethics.' And he called me 'hardcore'. Okaaaay.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:11 am 
Level 7 Vegan

ha ha, just the other day I was smelling some not-vegan chocolates that my husband had, and we had the most hilarious conversation about whether or not it was vegan of me to be enjoying the smells of non-vegan things!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:24 am 
Married to the wolfman

Vijita, I feel the same way about Subway. It does not matter where a Subway is, even if it's in a mall food court or something, they always smell so good. And yet the sandwiches are... Not good. It makes my brain hurt.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:31 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

There was a vegan restaurant featured on the news this morning. The annoying new anchor made that 'eww vegan' face when introducing it to try to get her 'funny' point across.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:55 pm 
Nailed to the V

News anchors are seriously the worst. (not just with vegan things, but like with all aspects of the "news" )

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:00 pm 
WELFARIST!

Actually, our local news has done a couple pieces about veganism and they've been really awesome about it. Open, receptive, non-judgmental and genuine.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:06 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Have you heard about LCHF? LCHF dieters troll vegetarian rooms on forums claiming that lard is the healthiest fat.
Yea right:
http://www.nutritionj.com/content/pdf/1 ... -11-40.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:19 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

julialegume wrote:
News anchors are seriously the worst. (not just with vegan things, but like with all aspects of the "news" )

off topic, but the worst is when the news anchors smile while they're talking about tragic events and natural disasters and stuff. I've noticed this more with the local news, not CNN or the BBC or anything like that, but it's really weird.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:44 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I've been more annoyed than necessary by this recent vegan obsession by vegans about not eating things you can't pronounce. I can't pronounce acai, Chai su bao, Kombucha and any number of other things but it doesnt mean I'm not going to a vegan version that turned up in front of me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:49 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Efcliz wrote:
I've been more annoyed than necessary by this recent vegan obsession by vegans about not eating things you can't pronounce.

Seriously, this is so getting on my wick too. It doesn't even make sense!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:59 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Man if I didn't eat things I couldn't pronounce, I would be eating like... bread, potatoes, and apples. That's it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:02 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Efcliz wrote:
not eating things you can't pronounce.

Huh. Maybe I'll go back to eating iggs.

Current pet peeve is the bottle of garlic mayo sauce stuff I found in a local shop that said vegan on the side. Excitement ensued! Then I read the ingredients. Contains iggs.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:25 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

mendelian wrote:
Efcliz wrote:
not eating things you can't pronounce.

Huh. Maybe I'll go back to eating iggs.

Current pet peeve is the bottle of garlic mayo sauce stuff I found in a local shop that said vegan on the side. Excitement ensued! Then I read the ingredients. Contains iggs.

I know this is so over said, but that did make me laugh OUT LOUD.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:53 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Efcliz wrote:
I've been more annoyed than necessary by this recent vegan obsession by vegans about not eating things you can't pronounce. I can't pronounce acai, Chai su bao, Kombucha and any number of other things but it doesnt mean I'm not going to a vegan version that turned up in front of me.

Reminds me of a website that listed "unpronounceable, therefore dangerous" ingredients in one facial moisturiser. They listed cyanocobalamin, too. I hope those vegans can pronounce cyanocobalamin.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:18 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

^ I can actually pronounce all those things. But I won't eat toxic chemicals even if I can pronounce them. Or rather, I won't buy toxic chemicals when I'm at the store and in control of everything. Not everything chemical sounding is necessarily a toxic chemical, nor is everything safe sounding actually safe.

So someone was asking me if I can eat chocolate (yet again), and I was like yes you have to read the ingredients. If it doesn't have any milk or dairy or by products of (because I know people that need to be told milk and dairy, if you say dairy they will hand you milk), then it's fine. and the person totally turned the other way and was like conversation over as soon as I said "read the ingredients"? Like is that such an out of the world concept, to read a freaking label?
Also why is it that when people find out I'm vegan they ask if I can eat chocolate? Of all the things to be actually concerned about, like calcium, CHOCOLATE, is what is most important. ugh their diets must be horrible if reading labels and passing up some chocolate are terrible things to them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:26 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

But come on, chocolate is MUCH more important than calcium! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:36 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Alaina wrote:
Like is that such an out of the world concept, to read a freaking label?

When I told my mother in law that the chocolate covered marzipan that they give out around Christmas was accidentally vegan and therefore she could give me as much as she wanted she said "How do you know it's vegan??!!"

I.... I read the ingredients, Mom!

LOL I do love her <3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:57 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

allularpunk wrote:
Pinko wrote:
Why is there no vegan toothpaste that is like those crazy, freshness-blasted, super sweet toothpastes turned out by P&G and whoever else? Every time I end up having to use toothpaste at someone else's house I'm like, "whoa!" And then I'm kind of sad to go back to my shitty hippie toothpaste.

Ha! I have the exact opposite reaction. Those toothpastes are so sweet, I can't imagine using one on a regular basis. Still, it took me a looooong time to get used to my shitty hippie toothpaste just because it wasn't so sweet. Weird what you get used to after awhile.

Argh there's this Green Beaver orange flavoured toothpaste that I bought that is waaaaaay too sweet. The mint taste isn't strong, but I feel like I'm brushing my teeth with icing.

And I'm peeved because the grocery store I usually shop at got rid of vegan toothpaste that has flouride. I know some people don't like flouride but I have crappy teeth :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142 ... 477  Next