| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 637 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Kitchen
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I FINALLY received a copy on loan from the library, it had a long wait list!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:02 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

lobsteriffic wrote:

What are you going to make first? Definitely try the country gravy before you return it!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:50 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

annamal wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:

What are you going to make first? Definitely try the country gravy before you return it!

SO MANY OPTIONS. I'll put the country gravy on my list!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:00 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

What have I made so far from this book...
I made the entire Caribbean dinner (the coconut rice, vegetables, beans, fried plantains). I liked how it was fast to put together...I like Chloe's really non-intimidating cookbook writing style. I usually feel intimidated to put multiple dishes together, but I didn't have much of a problem putting this all together. The only thing was that I ended up with different amounts of everything (for some reason, far less of the plaintains and beans than the rice).

I made the a la mode berry pie which was really, really good.

I also made the peanutty perfection noodles. I didn't eat any, but my family loved it. It was simple to put together.

Last but not least, I made the stuffed shells which were really good and which I will definitely make again.

All in all- great cookbook so far. I will probably buy Chloe's Vegan Dessert book as well. Soon.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:07 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I made the chow mien this evening. I was never a chow mien fan but I didn't mind this. I have leftovers for lunch for the next two days.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:14 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

The peanut noodles are truly amazing. I've also made the avocado pesto, which I was sceptical about, because warm avocado is just ew. But you can't taste it, it's just creamy bliss :) The Jalapeńo corn poppers weren't really something I'd go crazy about, but the cinnamon espresso cookies are amazing! Working through this book at full speed ;)

Please can you stop the noise, I'm trying to get some rest from all the unborn chicken voices in my head.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:37 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Did anyone make the meatloaf? I made it today, halved it according to Chloe's instructions, but had a disaster. I followed everything exactly, I think, but it was way too wet. When I turned it out it was more like a stew! It tasted delicious, and I loved the gravy, but there was no way earth I could have sliced it. Did I drop a bollock? Has anyone made it?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:19 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Last week I made the banana cupcakes (gluentous and gf) and they were really good but too dense, more like muffins than cupcakes. I recently had some vegan banana cupcakes from a bakery down the street that were light and fluffy and amazing so I know it's possible! I wonder if I use cake flour instead, if I will get better results...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:04 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Efcliz wrote:
Did anyone make the meatloaf? I made it today, halved it according to Chloe's instructions, but had a disaster. I followed everything exactly, I think, but it was way too wet. When I turned it out it was more like a stew! It tasted delicious, and I loved the gravy, but there was no way earth I could have sliced it. Did I drop a bollock? Has anyone made it?

My SO made it a while ago, also halving the recipe. It turned out fine, was sliceable and tasted good!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:10 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Shukriyya wrote:
Efcliz wrote:

My SO made it a while ago, also halving the recipe. It turned out fine, was sliceable and tasted good!

Hmm, I must have made a mistake then.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:44 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I've made the meatloaf too. It was kind of crumbly when I sliced it because I don't think I packed it down enough in the loaf pan, but it definitely wasn't like stew.

It's on the left of this picture (under the coagulated gravy) to give you an idea.

Could you maybe have forgotten to halve one of the liquid ingredients?

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:44 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I got this book yesterday, and there were a couple of recipes that caught my eye, but I'm definitely gonna have to cut back on the salt in most recipes. I think I'll try the Mongolian BBQ first!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:02 am 
ugh

couroupita wrote:
Last week I made the banana cupcakes (gluentous and gf) and they were really good but too dense, more like muffins than cupcakes. I recently had some vegan banana cupcakes from a bakery down the street that were light and fluffy and amazing so I know it's possible! I wonder if I use cake flour instead, if I will get better results...

Hmm, I've made these a couple times and didn't find them dense at all. There are tons of things that could cause that, though - leavening agent too old, oven too hot or too cold, overmixing, etc. Have you had this problems with other baking recipes recently?

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:57 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I don't have this book, buti made the Alfredo from it for dinner tonight. Pretty good! And I appreciate that it's not crazy involved like some other vegan alfreo recipes out there. It was a little bland, but seemed like a good base recipe for tweaking.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:04 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

does the book contain nutritional info?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:05 pm 
Nailed to the V

VeganinBerlin wrote:

No nutritional info, sadly. I've found that she does use a lot of oil in her recipes, so it makes them highly caloric and high fat. But in a lot of the recipes where there's excess oil, I think you can reduce it without affecting the recipe too much.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:55 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I brought the peanutty perfection noodles to a potluck today and everyone raved about them. They actually (unofficially) voted them the number one dish at the potluck!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:37 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

beethecookie wrote:
VeganinBerlin wrote:

No nutritional info, sadly. I've found that she does use a lot of oil in her recipes, so it makes them highly caloric and high fat. But in a lot of the recipes where there's excess oil, I think you can reduce it without affecting the recipe too much.

Yeah, it's usually like 2 tbsp for sauteing, which you could easily cut in half.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:09 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

beethecookie wrote:
VeganinBerlin wrote:

That is one thing I don't like about the cookbook- the oil amounts are insane! Very easy to cut in half or replace with other ingredients, though (applesauce in baking, water for sauteeing). Other than that, we really love the cookbook and use it at least once a week.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:48 am 
Nailed to the V

bree wrote:
That is one thing I don't like about the cookbook- the oil amounts are insane!

Yep, I actually followed a couple of recipes from this book the last two days and this morning I woke up to the first zit on my nose in about 10 years....food was damn yummy though!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:30 pm 
ugh

I think she was aiming for restaurant food with this book, which usually has loads of oil and salt and what have you. But like others said it is pretty easy to reduce the oil when it's just for sauteing or whatever.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:02 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I for one am so glad to see a cookbook that has regular amounts of sugar and oil that will appeal to "standard" taste buds, and as said above - are quite similar to what is used in restaurants. It's great transition stuff. Most of us have been around long enough to reduce the oil and sugar if necessary. And it's totally not billed as a health book, so at least it's not misleading.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:55 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

mattomic wrote:
I for one am so glad to see a cookbook that has regular amounts of sugar and oil that will appeal to "standard" taste buds, and as said above - are quite similar to what is used in restaurants. It's great transition stuff. Most of us have been around long enough to reduce the oil and sugar if necessary. And it's totally not billed as a health book, so at least it's not misleading.

I definetly agree. This book might be the only reason my husband went vegan and for that I'm eternally grateful. Her recipes are delicious, and I'm overly pleased we purchased it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:39 am 
Ninja Master

I agree, unless they're a low fat cookbook most cookbooks use more oil than I would. I just reduce it if I feel the need.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:33 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I made the Chana Masala the other night. It didn't blow me away. Today the leftovers where really good. I will probably make it again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 637 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 26  Next