| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5556 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143 ... 223  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:31 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Alaina wrote:
Shy Mox wrote:
Alaina wrote:
I just finished The Sexual Politics of Meat: A Feminist-vegetarian Critical Theory by Carol J. Adams. I know it sounds like terrible, but I loved it. Just started The Seventeen Solutions by Ralph Nader.

I really want to finish The Sexual Politics of Meat! I found it surprisingly good, I thought it was just going to be about advertising. However I had to put it down when she was talking about how abusers use pets against their victims, it triggered me and I'll probably have to skip the rest of that chapter if I pick it up again.

I thought it was just going to be some men treat women like meat rant, but it totally wasn't. It also totally clarified for me why I feel the same way when I get put down for being a woman as when I get put down for not eating meat. I feel like I can stand up for myself a little better now. Finish it! I didn't get upset about the pets thing, maybe cause all I ever had was a goldfish.

I have a copy of this, and I always mean to read it, but other books always win over it. I'm reading the Book of Negroes right now (just started it last night and am 100 pages in - soooo good!). I think I'm going to read Wheat Belly next and then maybe the Carol Adams book?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:09 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

sigh, i am in such a reading funk.... i simply cannot find a good book to sit down and escape into.... it is making me cranky :(

i bought 'the unlikely pilgrimage of harold fry' and got 100 pages in, it is dreadfully boring. i can't imagine finishing the other 200+ pages so i will be returning it......

anyone have any good ideas for me? i try to avoid books with violence/sex/explicit language.... and horror themes.... here are some of my favorite books below. i like quirky fiction, some sci-fi, and overall, just a good story i can escape into.

my fave book is 'a tree grows in brooklyn' and i also enjoy ray bradbury and i swooned for the odyssey series by arthur c clarke & songs of a distant earth.....anne fadiman is awesome too.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:26 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

How about 2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson or Engines of the Gods by Jack McDevitt? (or Talent for War, the start of his other good series/ nothing to do with warfare)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:36 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Jigglypuff wrote:
I'm about to start East of Eden.

I loved this - one of my all time favourites.

I've just started The Magic of Reality by Richard Dawkins.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:12 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I just started The Dud Avocado, and I'm super excited to read it. I hope I like it as much as I expect I will. It has all of my favorite things!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:32 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:25 pm 
Nailed to the V

bookwormbethie wrote:
sigh, i am in such a reading funk.... i simply cannot find a good book to sit down and escape into.... it is making me cranky :(

i bought 'the unlikely pilgrimage of harold fry' and got 100 pages in, it is dreadfully boring. i can't imagine finishing the other 200+ pages so i will be returning it......

anyone have any good ideas for me? i try to avoid books with violence/sex/explicit language.... and horror themes.... here are some of my favorite books below. i like quirky fiction, some sci-fi, and overall, just a good story i can escape into.

my fave book is 'a tree grows in brooklyn' and i also enjoy ray bradbury and i swooned for the odyssey series by arthur c clarke & songs of a distant earth.....anne fadiman is awesome too.

Have you read The Help?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:51 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i have read 'the last unicorn' and 'the help.' both were very much enjoyed!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:58 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

bookwormbethie- I enjoyed Mr. Penumbra's 24 hour bookstore and Ready Player One recently. I think either of them would fit your qualifications!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:38 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Just finished Anna Karenina. Now I am starting Brideshead Revisited. I seem to be on a fancy rich people behaving badly kick. I blame Downton Abbey.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:30 pm 
WELFARIST!

Speak, Memory. Truth be told it's kind of boring in the telling (too many Russian names and dates and references to long-dead family members and ancestors that mean nothing to me) but Nabakov's prose is such a delight to read that every sin is forgiven. I'll even plow through reading about his great-great-grandfather's brother's mother's uncle's doings because he's boring me so STYLISHLY. He pins down notable characteristics of his fellow man so well that they're forever etched in my mind; I feel like if they walked in a room I'd know them for this one quirk he's gloriously detailed for me. He's a neverending marvel as a writer. So, in other words, I'm liking it overall.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

seitanicverses wrote:
Nabakov's prose is such a delight to read that every sin is forgiven. I'll even plow through reading about his great-great-grandfather's brother's mother's uncle's doings because he's boring me so STYLISHLY.

Just had pretty much the same experience with Pnin (which is, I must admit, rather more quirky than boring, but also very Russian in some respects).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:47 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Just finished reading Sure you must be joking, Mr. Feynman which I mostly enjoyed. The sexism was very upsetting.

Now I'm working my way through the last Wheel of Time book. Honestly, it could be total trash and I'd still love it to pieces. I'll be sad when I finish it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:10 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I finished Book of Negroes in 3 days, it was amazing! Reading Wheat Belly now, pretty interesting so far.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:31 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I last read Wild Grass by Ian Johnson which I loved. I'm currently reading Heinrich Harrer's Seven Years In Tibet, I'm about halfway through and really enjoying it. Next up will be Chavs: The Demonisation of the Working Class by Owen Jones.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:35 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Im rereading "catching fire" now. Needed something light after all the Norwegian novels. I would have reread Hunger Games but I only got the second and the 3rd book...

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:45 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I am so excited for Calculated in Death next week. JD Robb books are my favorite fluff. I'm listening to old ones on audio on my commutes now.

I'm thinking about reading Black Box finally. It's the new Connelly that I've been hoarding for a time I need a good read.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:37 pm 
WELFARIST!

seitanicverses wrote:
Speak, Memory. Truth be told it's kind of boring in the telling...

I take it all back! And what a ridiculous thing for me to say. This book's MARVELOUS. I'm loving it. The thing for me with the (two) Nabokov books I've read thus far is that his style is so dazzling and entertaining, the story hardly matters. I'm at that point with his book. It doesn't matter what he's saying, really, the entertainment lies in him telling it so well.

That said, he's moved away from the ancestral recollections and on to his own boyhood and that's when I really started to enjoy this book. Still not finished but I've kept reading and enjoying.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:11 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

About to finish "Consider the Lobster." I have to admit, I thought reading DFW was going to be a difficult, more dense experience. After this I'm ready for more of his work.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:19 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Phoenix wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:
Nabakov's prose is such a delight to read that every sin is forgiven. I'll even plow through reading about his great-great-grandfather's brother's mother's uncle's doings because he's boring me so STYLISHLY.

Just had pretty much the same experience with Pnin (which is, I must admit, rather more quirky than boring, but also very Russian in some respects).

Pnin didn't seem to be a highly stylish novel when I read it. The humor did seem very, well, Russian novel-ish. But there were a number of times I remember laughing at out during the reading of Pnin.

In contrast, I've often described Lolita as a very well written, 300 page book in which about 4 things actually happen during the narrators very elegant, neurotic confessional.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:50 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I finished Bad Pharma - so good! - and moved on to Why Have Kids? (I was interested before and the thread made me want to read it). It's a pretty quick read and is bringing up some good (and enraging) points. I just started yesterday and I'm already more than 2/3 of the way through.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:46 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I just finished Fingerprints of You by Kristen-Paige Madonia - a beautiful literary YA novel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:32 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Catalina wrote:
I've been rereading all the Laura Ingalls Wilder books. I'm on the fifth one and I don't know if I read this far as a child so it's all new now. I'm so glad for modern medicine.

Is that By the Shores of Silver Lake? That is one of my favourites. She captures the pull of the west so well in that one.

I recently finished Shirley Jackson short stories and Among the Truthers.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i am currently re-reading 'the debut' by anita brookner. it's been ages since i've read it so it's like reading it new all over again.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:20 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm reading Dave Eggers' A Hologram for the King on my Kindle and also The Orphan Master's Son, which is due back at the library tomorrow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5556 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143 ... 223  Next