| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: monster calves and boot woes
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:39 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I think I have mutant calves. I cannot find high boots to accommodate them. There is a discontinued Earth boot that fit me but by the time I found it they were out of my size. Are there any large-calved ladies on the PPK who have found good vegan high boots? Or am I just a sad mutant forever doomed to ankle boots?

Post subject: Re: monster calves and boot woes
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:56 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I feel your pain! I also have monster calves, and I've pretty much given up on finding boots. In the process of doing that, I've lost interest in wearing them anyway.

However.....a long time ago a friend of mine had her (leather) boots fitted for her. She got a pair that she liked and took them to a cobbler who basically cut a wedge down the back and inserted more material, maybe something stretchy. Maybe you can look into this?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:19 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

If you can get Marco Tozzi boots there some are vegan and many have subtle elastic for wider calves, they're beautiful and very comfortable too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:31 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Oh, do I feel your pain. I am a boot addict (I have a problem, for real) with calves that are seemingly monstrous. Do you know your calf measurement? Mine are just over 16'' and over the last couple of years I've managed to find a bunch of boots that fit pretty well. So if you're around the same, I can definitely recommend some. I get most of my boots from endless.com and they very helpfully list the boot opening size and shaft heights, which makes shopping for boots slightly less frustrating.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:25 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

my friend has this problem and i have the opposite-all boots swim on my legs and look like i'm wearing gumboots :( funny thing is, if you saw my friend and i standing side by side, you would not point at her and say "OOOOO monster calves!" nor point at me and laugh at the stick legs. my friend is an omni and she still has trouble finding boots that fit!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:51 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I feel your pain, I got ridiculous soccer calves as well. Thin upper legs, ginormous calves, makes me feel really lady like I tell ya. I am always self conscious of wearing skirts. Anyway, I just found some boots at Payless that work. I may go back and get another pair in a different color.

http://www.payless.com/store/product/de ... ame=Womens

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:45 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

I have small calves however Torrid carries boots for wider calves..99% of the shoes they carry are synthetic!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:05 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

These may or may not work for others, depending on your particular monster calves, but here are a few that I've found.

Wanted Queen boots - these are only mid-calf, but they're really comfortable and pretty damn cute. The lacing makes them super adjustable and they're lined with this furry material that's really great for winter.

Rocket Dog Rideon boots - these just barely fit my calves when I got them, but have already stretched a bit. The material is nice and soft, with a cute contrasting plaid lining - you can fold the top over to show it if you want. They're kind of rugged-looking, which I dig, and comfortable to walk around all day in. The foot itself is pretty wide too, which I, as a wide-of-foot individual, always appreciate. I want to pick these up in black as well before too long.

Not Rated Paper Play boots - these are my fancy boots. I have them in grey (pictured) and tan. They were a smidge tight at first but have stretched a bit with wear. Not the most comfortable boots in the world (3'' heel), so definitely not a "walk all over the city" boot, but they look awesome.

I have another pair arriving tomorrow, I will report back if they pass muster.

P.S. Avenue (a plus-size retailer) has a ton of wide-calf boots.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:14 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I may order those paper play ones....super cute and cheap!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:27 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

They're pretty decent quality, too. The man-made leather is some of the nicest I've encountered, especially in the grey color.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:31 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

amandabear wrote:
They're pretty decent quality, too. The man-made leather is some of the nicest I've encountered, especially in the grey color.

The grey and the black look the same on the website. I want the black but I'm worried it may be shiny. Is the grey dark enough to wear with black?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:59 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yes! I think so, anyway. It's definitely more on the dark, charcoal grey end of the spectrum. I got the grey for that same reason - I don't dig shiny. The grey is really nice and matte.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:48 am 
Cranky

amandabear wrote:
These may or may not work for others, depending on your particular monster calves, but here are a few that I've found.

Wanted Queen boots - these are only mid-calf, but they're really comfortable and pretty damn cute. The lacing makes them super adjustable and they're lined with this furry material that's really great for winter.

I have these and love them. My calves aren't huge (14 inches around, so totally not skinny), but these will fit a variety of sizes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:55 pm 
Human Gravy

I once asked a girl on the bus where she got her boots and she said Kohl's, and that in general she found that Kohl's boots have pretty accommodating calf openings... I have yet to verify.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:10 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

The boots that came tonight fit great except for the stupid top cuff bit - it's always, always too just a little too tight. I wish they'd use elastic thread around the top or something. Ugh. I really like them so I'm going to wear them around the house a bit and see if they stretch at all, otherwise they will have to go back and I will be super sad.

It's these, for the record - the Rocket Dog Slinger boot.

I've been looking for a nice pair of black western-ish boots with a moderate heel and these are perfect, but unless miracles happen I wouldn't recommend them for the large-of-calf. First possible fail of boot season. Bummer.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:30 am 
Bathes in Braggs

There are some amazing high, non-leather boots at Common Era in Denver that I almost bought but didn't because they were too big on my calves, and my calves aren't that small. There's a Common Era on the Pearl Street Mall, right? They come in blue, black, and brown and they were really comfortable!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:11 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I have monster calves too. I went to buy rain boots for the first time last year and couldn't get the lady ones because they were too tight on my calves. I had to get size 6 boy boots that are so ugly. This year I went to the surplus and thought I might find a sturdy pair, but even the men's boots were a pain to get on and wouldn't come off without help. I almost got really sad, but my calves are pretty awesome, so maybe it is a waste to hide them in boots?

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:04 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Thanks for all the replies, everybody! I'm going to measure my calves and see what's up--there are def. some contenders here! <3 <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:00 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just picked up my first pair of boots (that arent for rain or snow) ever and I totally wasnt thinking about stuffing pants in them. They just barely fit over my calves and I really dont think jeans are goin in these babies. maybe theyll go to punksbay? ugh. MONSTER LEGS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:45 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Boot alert! I picked these up at Kohl's this afternoon and they are AMAZING.

They're called the Veronca Slouch boot, although they don't slouch on me. They've got a split shaft design with adjustable buckles, so I imagine they'd fit anyone pretty well, and they definitely fit my 16'' calves with some room to spare if I loosen the buckles. Plus they've got a nice manageable heel, no 4'' stiletto business. Basically, I love them.

I can't find them on the website anymore, but my Kohl's definitely had a bunch of sizes in stock. Oh, and they look a lot nicer in person.