| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Betty Goes Vegan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:15 pm 
Nailed to the V

is that something i've missed? (Maybe she meant the website).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:21 pm 
Saggy Butt

The copy I won from goodreads.com came today and I see what everyone says about the meat subs. I like Gardein and all, but it seems like a lot. And some other recipes call for brands I've never seen. For the chicken ones I'll probably use the no cluck cutlet recipe from Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day. The Beer Cheese Soup or the Lemon and Asparagus Soup are the list for this weekend, and I may have to figure out if I want take the time to make the Beignets or just start with the Raspberry Chocolate Chip Scones.

And what the heck is up with all the pink Himalayan salt?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:42 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

That's my one real question about the book. I actually do have Himalayan pink salt because it was pretty and Costco happened to have it in a big grinder when I needed salt. But, other than being pretty on the counter, what's the fuss? It seems like such a pretentious ingredient to continually call for.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:31 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I have generally found meat subs to be easily interchangeable. I am wondering why she didn't simply say to use your favourite brand or your favourite recipe for vegan chicken, beef, pepperoni, etc.? The thing is, someone new to vegan cooking might think there is a reason for naming a specific brand and they might shy away from recipes because they don't have access to that particular item.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:25 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

lavawitch wrote:
That's my one real question about the book. I actually do have Himalayan pink salt because it was pretty and Costco happened to have it in a big grinder when I needed salt. But, other than being pretty on the counter, what's the fuss? It seems like such a pretentious ingredient to continually call for.

I was curious about this, too. It's not addressed anywhere in the book. I even went to a spice store to taste it to see if it was different somehow. My guess is she's using it because it has more minerals than table salt and is considered healthier by some.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:23 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I asked about the salt too when I got the book in the thread...I am not sure. I assume my regular sea salt will work.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:10 pm 
Saggy Butt

Himalayan pink/black salt has a lot of sulphur in it, so it's supposed to make faux eggs taste more eggy. But I haven't seen the book, other than the preview on amazon, so I don't really know how many recipes call for it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:31 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Apparently the black salt really does add an eggy flavour to things, I have a friend who said she nearly cried when she realized she could have "egg salad" again.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:32 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

The pink Himalayan rock salt doesn't have any eggy taste. It's different for. The black Indian salt that is actually pink.

They call for it in nearly every single recipe. Anywhere a cookbook would just say "salt" or "sea salt," they say "Himalayan pink salt."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lavawitch wrote:
The pink Himalayan rock salt doesn't have any eggy taste. It's different for. The black Indian salt that is actually pink.

They call for it in nearly every single recipe. Anywhere a cookbook would just say "salt" or "sea salt," they say "Himalayan pink salt."

AH yes, that's right. Derp.

Odd that they're so specific on kind of salt then.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:56 pm 
WELFARIST!

vgnwitch wrote:
I have generally found meat subs to be easily interchangeable. I am wondering why she didn't simply say to use your favourite brand or your favourite recipe for vegan chicken, beef, pepperoni, etc.? The thing is, someone new to vegan cooking might think there is a reason for naming a specific brand and they might shy away from recipes because they don't have access to that particular item.

Maybe it's to help new vegans who don't realize that not all veggie meats are vegan?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:08 am 
WRETCHED

I use the himalayan salt and basically the theory is that it is 'sea salt' from seas that were pure at one time versus our polluted seas. Either way, it would be interchangeable with sea salt.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:41 am 
Semen Strong

Mr. Shankly wrote:
vgnwitch wrote:

Maybe it's to help new vegans who don't realize that not all veggie meats are vegan?

That is such a good point. I still remember the Ham Tube kerfuffle.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:26 am 
Chard Martyr

I mean, I guess she just wants people who use her books to get consistent results. Isn't Betty Crocker like that? Always using branded products?

I just wikipedia'd Betty Crocker and I am blown away that there was actually no "Betty Crocker". Just the creator and then an actress and then someone else.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:36 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've looked at the Amazon page a billion times and then closed it, so I went ahead and ordered this. My criteria for buying a new cookbook is pretty much "Look at it 1000 times, you can has it!"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:54 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

vijita wrote:
I mean, I guess she just wants people who use her books to get consistent results. Isn't Betty Crocker like that? Always using branded products?

I have The Betty Crocker Cookbook. I just flipped through it and, no, it doesn't make a big deal about recommending specific brands. I think the only one I noticed was Bisquick.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:46 pm 
WELFARIST!

Weird. I remember a lot of old cookbooks like that using brand names in them. I'll have to see which ones I have here.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:44 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I've only made a few things out of this book, but the Beef(less) Stew is by far my favorite at this point. I also think it would make an excellent veggie soup, using mushrooms instead of the Beefless Tips for the 'meaty' texture. I might try that next time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:56 pm 
WRETCHED

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Weird. I remember a lot of old cookbooks like that using brand names in them. I'll have to see which ones I have here.

The 80s and possibly earlier had a lot of cookbooks created by food manufacturer's using their products.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

creep wrote:
I've looked at the Amazon page a billion times and then closed it, so I went ahead and ordered this. My criteria for buying a new cookbook is pretty much "Look at it 1000 times, you can has it!"

LOL, this is exactly what I do. I crush on cookbooks online and then finally cave and order them :)

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:19 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Holy shiitake, this book is massive. It's now my largest cookbook besides "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone," my first veg cookbook ever.

I don't know where to start! It all looks amazing though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:30 am 
Nailed to the V

I got this book from the library, and I dunno. So far I've flipped through the whole thing twice, but I haven't really made anything yet. I'm not sure what the problem is, maybe it's the semi-homemade thing? I know that's been hotly debated already, but I kinda agree that I can't connect with the book when it contains nothing but fake cheeze and meats. I will try some stuff before returning the book, and then make a better assessment. Any recommendations for dishes that don't contain a ton of fake food?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:22 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

beethecookie wrote:
I got this book from the library, and I dunno. So far I've flipped through the whole thing twice, but I haven't really made anything yet. I'm not sure what the problem is, maybe it's the semi-homemade thing? I know that's been hotly debated already, but I kinda agree that I can't connect with the book when it contains nothing but fake cheeze and meats. I will try some stuff before returning the book, and then make a better assessment. Any recommendations for dishes that don't contain a ton of fake food?

I did the same thing. I decided to return the book and give it a try at a later time. I did get another book from the library and one just came in the mail, so that could have lead to why this one really did not appeal to me. But I just not really care for all the fake products. The pink salt issue....I went through that book countless times looking for any detail on why it had to be pink salt and is regular sea salt ok. Glad that was cleared up here.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:35 pm 
Saggy Butt

If it's not for you, then so be it. Every book doesn't have to suit every person. This book is very clear about what it's doing, and it does it very well.

And please, enough with the "fake food" stuff. Colleen says it best:

Cheryl Angelina Koehler (CAK): I’ve always wondered why vegan and vegetarian diets embrace “fake meats” rather than simply standing proud for the deliciousness of plant-based foods prepared well. It seems to be a kind of play-acting to cover for living in a carnivorous culture. Why do you think these foods persist?

Colleen Patrick-Goudreau (CPG): Let’s back up for a second. The word “meat” originally meant “that which was eaten (solid food) to distinguish it from that which was drunk (beverages),” and we still use the word when we refer to such things as “nut meat” or “coconut meat.” I absolutely abhor such words as “fake” and “faux” and “alternative” and “substitute” to talk about plant-based foods. I don’t eat “fake” meat, but I do eat “grain-based” meat and “wheat-based” meat and “nut-based” meat, for instance. I just don’t eat “animal-based” meat. And let’s be clear here. When people stop eating animals, they don’t necessarily do so because they stop liking the taste. They stop doing so because they don’t want to contribute to violence against animals or because they want to be healthy. When you stop eating animals, you don’t stop having the desire to chew. And that’s what that’s all about. We don’t crave the flesh of animals (we’re not obligate carnivores), but we do crave texture. We crave fat, salt, flavor, and familiarity, and all of those things are found in plant foods.

http://www.ediblecommunities.com/eastba ... udreau.htm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:24 pm 
WRETCHED

I think we can agree that the book relies on store bought analogues which is what most people are talking about. If the book had recipes for cheese-like products and meat analogues and then had recipes that used those, then the argument would be moot. The store bought analogues also makes it less accessible for people as a whole so this book wouldn't necessarily have a wide appeal of other books. I don't think we need to argue about semantics when we say fake meat and understand what the person means.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next