| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Upcoming Cookbooks 2013
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:58 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Shukriyya wrote:
This seems to be her website: http://mouthwateringvegan.com/

Oh, she's from the UK! Now I feel like a right idiot that I didn't know about it sooner.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:05 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Shukriyya wrote:

Wow, never having heard of this author and having a fair number of cookbook pre-orders already placed, I have been completely ignoring the Mouthwatering Vegan's listing on Amazon. The recipe for Fruit & Nut Chocolate Truffle Slices posted on the authors website sure looks good, though!

Does anyone here know more about this one?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:15 am 

I've never heard of her either, but having just scrolled through her blog archives and read the replies I may have to pre-order her book. Everyone has nothing but good to say about her recipes. I read her facebook page as well.

All in all she seems promising. We don't often get a good UK vegan author so I feel like I should support her.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:00 am 
Saggy Butt

I was just catching up on Celine Steen's blog and was reading about how she just finished photographing for Bake and Destroy: Good Food for Bad Vegans (http://www.amazon.com/Bake-Destroy-Good ... nd+destroy).

I went to have a poke round the Bake & Destroy website, I think I may have to buy this book Celine's recommendation aside, because anybody who makes Jason/Friday the 13th cupcakes is my hero.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:56 am 
Nailed to the V

Brian Patton has a new book coming out in May:

Sexy Vegan's Happy Hour Home: http://www.amazon.com/Sexy-Vegans-Happy ... rds=vegan$

(I really should cook stuff from the first one before I pre-order this)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:53 am 
WRETCHED

weaver wrote:
Shukriyya wrote:

Wow, never having heard of this author and having a fair number of cookbook pre-orders already placed, I have been completely ignoring the Mouthwatering Vegan's listing on Amazon. The recipe for Fruit & Nut Chocolate Truffle Slices posted on the authors website sure looks good, though!

Does anyone here know more about this one?

The steak and mushroom sandwich looks good but looking at the recipes, it seems that a lot of vegan subs are used? Not sure if the book is the same way but I try to avoid books that focus a lot on those. I'd like to hear more when someone gets it.

Although I have a personal issue (triggers a gag reflex) with the cover so I'd buy this on kindle if I did.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:22 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Gah! We had our monthly budget meeting today and I decided to splurge on a new cookbook, but I really can't decide what to get since so many good ones are coming out. I'm thinking about Tami and Celine's sandwich book, Color Me Vegan (how is that book anyway?), or waiting for the bean book to come out.

HA. Remember when we had like five cookbooks to choose from?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:31 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

pickledtreats wrote:
Remember when we had like five cookbooks to choose from?

haha, exactly. that may be the root of our cookbook hoarding tendencies. back in 2004-05 i bought every decent-looking vegan book i could find, and it still wasn't nearly enough to fill one shelf.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:45 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

pickledtreats wrote:
Gah! We had our monthly budget meeting today and I decided to splurge on a new cookbook, but I really can't decide what to get since so many good ones are coming out. I'm thinking about Tami and Celine's sandwich book, Color Me Vegan (how is that book anyway?), or waiting for the bean book to come out.

I've had Color Me Vegan since it was newish and have only made a couple recipes from it. It's more interesting in concept, I think. I'd have a flip through it before you commit to that one.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:49 am 
Chard Martyr

I don't really like Color Me Vegan. I actually reviewed it for a magazine so I tried a bunch of stuff. Nothing was horrible, but nothing managed to be memorable. The sandwich book is a much more interesting/innovative one.

That Mouthwatering Vegan book looks neat. I like veganized UK recipes like nut roasts and the like.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:03 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

pickledtreats wrote:

I have tami and celine's sandwich book, vegan sandwiches save the day, i ♥ it. i've made several things and they've all been winners. i have not tried any of their seitan recipes yet, working my way up to that ;) a couple of the recipes, like the retro KFC sandwich, i subbed xtra firm tofu and it was still freakin' awesome. 'vegan sandwiches' is one of my fave cookbooks, highly recommend!

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:09 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Thanks, guys! I had a feeling it would be the sandwich one ;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:03 pm 

creep wrote:

I've had Color Me Vegan since it was newish and have only made a couple recipes from it. It's more interesting in concept, I think. I'd have a flip through it before you commit to that one.

Yes, conceptually, I think Color Me Vegan is an intriguing idea but the book's format is a stumbling block for me. Who decides to make, say, an orange (or brown or green or....) dish or meal? I have enjoyed great success when using Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's other cookbooks and use them a lot. Unhappily, Color Me Vegan doesn't see much in the way of action in our home.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:22 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

weaver wrote:
creep wrote:

Yes, conceptually, I think Color Me Vegan is an intriguing idea but the book's format is a stumbling block for me. Who decides to make, say, an orange (or brown or green or....) dish or meal? I have enjoyed great success when using Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's other cookbooks and use them a lot. Unhappily, Color Me Vegan doesn't see much in the way of action in our home.

That's a bummer. I really like the idea since food around here can sometimes be beige or bland looking. Oh well...sandwiches it is!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:42 am 
Saggy Butt

Skinny bisque Baking by Kim Barnouin???? While not a fan of the original, I saw Kim's first cookbook in a bookstore and had a flick through, it looked good. And I won't say no to more baking books.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:25 pm 
Saggy Butt

weaver wrote:

Yes, conceptually, I think Color Me Vegan is an intriguing idea but the book's format is a stumbling block for me. Who decides to make, say, an orange (or brown or green or....) dish or meal?

I do! I do! I made Purple Soup.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:34 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Not exactly a cookbook, but Ginny Messina has a new nutrition book coming out this year... Vegan for Her: http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Her-Womens-Healthy-Plant-Based/dp/0738216712/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361838694&sr=8-1&keywords=vegan+for+her

It doesn't look like it's going to cover a whole lot of ground that Vegan for Life didn't already cover, but some women may appreciate having a book that is really focused on them and their nutritional needs.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:57 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

pickledtreats wrote:
weaver wrote:
creep wrote:

That's a bummer. I really like the idea since food around here can sometimes be beige or bland looking. Oh well...sandwiches it is!

I've liked quite a lot of the recipes I made from Color Me Vegan, but I don't use it as much as I should! I think one problem for me is that many recipes are for side dishes, and I'm a one-pot-meal kind of person. So, if you make many meals that feature sides, you might want to take a second look at it. Here's the thread about it, by the way: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1171

Hmm, I think I'm gonna make the Thai coconut soup again soon!

I've always been intrigued by Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day, but I don't really eat a lot of sandwiches... I'll definitely get it sooner or later, though, because it looks so pretty!

I'll take a look at Mouthwatering Vegan when it comes out, but if it really is heavy on the subs, then it won't be the book for me. I've been meaning to cook some things from the author's website, though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:53 am 

Miss Jayme Kat wrote:
weaver wrote:

Yes, conceptually, I think Color Me Vegan is an intriguing idea but the book's format is a stumbling block for me. Who decides to make, say, an orange (or brown or green or....) dish or meal?

I do! I do! I made Purple Soup.

LOL!!! Her orange soup (Butternut Squash Orange Ginger Soup) is darn good, too! :-)

I do wish, though, that the recipes had been not only formatted by color but also by category. In my perfect world, the book's color info would be covered in the beginning pages of the book. Then, each category (Starters and Salads/ Desserts/ Sides, etc.) would include all the veggie colors showcased in the book in their respective category. For example, a "Soups and Stews" chapter would include all the various colored dishes/recipes, still color coded, in that category. This reformatting would make the world of difference to the usability of the book for me. I'll never get rid of my copy of Color Me Vegan because I truly do love Colleen's recipes. I just don't find this book's formatting to be as accessible as her other two cookbooks. As things stand now, if I want to, say, make a soup using Color Me Vegan, but am not pre-attached to a specific color of vegetable, I have to look in eight chapters.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:18 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

That would be a great categorisation, weaver!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:55 am 
Saggy Butt

I agree with that, Weaver. I think she had another book - The Vegan Table - that was formatted strangely, too. I think it was by number of servings. I'd rather just have them all sorted according to recipe type, and then do my own math.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:40 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Miss Jayme Kat wrote:
I agree with that, Weaver. I think she had another book - The Vegan Table - that was formatted strangely, too. I think it was by number of servings. I'd rather just have them all sorted according to recipe type, and then do my own math.

Yes! I almost never use The Vegan Table because of that.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:16 pm 
Nailed to the V

the seitan recipes are awesome in T/C's book. awesome. :)
it's not so much "sandwiches" but stuff you can... well stuff! heheehe (I didn't like the Carnitas though)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:43 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

If I had to choose one over the other, then I would definitely recommend getting the Sandwiches book over Color Me Vegan. Tami and Celene are so innovative, and every time I flip through the book I find new things I want to eat RIGHT NAOW! Color Me Vegan is good, despite the inconvenient formatting, and I have made quite a few things from it that I really liked... But if you already have quite a few cookbooks, T & C's book will add more to your collection IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:06 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

It's not a cookbook, but starting 2013, French/Belgian blog 100 % Végétal has a printable English version of every new recipe posted. The English recipes are at the end of each post. The pictures look scrumptious!
http://www.100-vegetal.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next