| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45612 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1315, 1316, 1317, 1318, 1319, 1320, 1321 ... 1825  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:21 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

so Oscars(/Twitter) drama: http://newsone.com/2247018/the-onion-quvenzhane-wallis/

but I'm actually curious about the outrage. is the problem with the word croissant? or saying something negative about a 9yo? or is it because of both together? or do you think it's internet-groupthink 'activism' responsible for the volume of outrage? (I mean sure, it's not in good taste, but it seems kind of like it's been taken out of proportion)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:01 am 
Chard Martyr

Holy. There are a lot of people who go on the internet to crepe on people who enjoy the Oscars. (Not aimed at you, Josh, as I have not clicked on the link).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:21 am 
Level 7 Vegan

joshua wrote:
so Oscars(/Twitter) drama: http://newsone.com/2247018/the-onion-quvenzhane-wallis/

but I'm actually curious about the outrage. is the problem with the word croissant? or saying something negative about a 9yo? or is it because of both together? or do you think it's internet-groupthink 'activism' responsible for the volume of outrage? (I mean sure, it's not in good taste, but it seems kind of like it's been taken out of proportion)

Both. I'm not as mad about it as some people are, but I'm very disappointed in the Onion and I don't think it's being taken out of proportion at all. It's not okay to call someone a croissant. What could she have done to "deserve" that kind of remark, anyway?

ETA: The comment from the Onion is probably being considered especially annoying because of Seth MacWhatshisface's comment about how Quvenzhane will be too young for George Clooney in sixteen years.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

Last edited by Jigglypuff on Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:22 am 

heh, I don't care about the Oscars, nor do I care if others like/hate it.. but Twitter-rage makes me curious :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:27 am 
Level 7 Vegan

joshua wrote:
heh, I don't care about the Oscars, nor do I care if others like/hate it.. but Twitter-rage makes me curious :)

What makes you think it's rage? I don't have any strong feelings about the whole thing, but I wholeheartedly agree with the tweets. I think they express mild indignation at most.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:41 am 

Jigglypuff wrote:
What makes you think it's rage? I don't have any strong feelings about the whole thing, but I wholeheartedly agree with the tweets. I think they express mild indignation at most.

it was RT'd a lot as opposed to people making their own comments

maybe 'rage' isn't the most apt term, but people were encourage people to never visit The Onion again, email the site/board, etc. pretty extreme to me..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:57 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I got put on medication today, and I forgot to ask about non-gel caps (or veg-based gel caps). So of course they gave me regular gel caps. Gross.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:56 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tired of feeling so tense in my own house. Roommate's boyfriend is visiting again, so I texted them well in advance last night to let him know we were having friends over and would need the kitchen until "around 7:15." He told me they were grilling hot dogs outside, so I wasn't particularly worried about being done at a certain time, but even if I was... he comes in at like 7:25, and I'm doing like the last 10 minutes or so of work on our meal, and he's like "We're making pasta. You said 7:15!" And they then continue to work around me in our tiny kitchen, making it as uncomfortable as possible for the last few minutes I'm in there AND ask me for more olive oil, which we've bought like 3 times since we stopped sharing groceries.

Suck a giant pile of dicks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:06 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I had a dream in which I ordered a hamburger and milkshake. I don't understand. I have not dreampt about meat since going vegan (5 or so years ago) and I am actually sort of disgusted right now.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:35 pm 
Dead by dawn

There is an older intoxicated gentleman on my bus singing Bangles songs at the top of his lungs.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:37 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

monkeytoes wrote:
There is an older intoxicated gentleman on my bus singing Bangles songs at the top of his lungs.

I love him <3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:41 pm 
Dead by dawn

Moon wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:

I love him <3

I probably would too if he smelled better.

There is also someone in the back of the bus asking if anyone wants to rub his femoral artery.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:46 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

My dad just came home and shoved a shopping bag at me, saying "happy birthday". I said, "My birthday is next week," and he said "Well, close enough." It was an Ove-Glove (I did need a new ove-glove) and a pillowcase that is shaped like a dog. I don't even know. I got zero birthday or christmas gifts from him when I was a kid, and then there were a random few years when he got me expensive gifts (ipod, new tv) and then no acknowledgement of my birthday for the last several years. I guess suddenly he remembered I had a birthday but not what day it was.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:51 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Ove glove!!! I'm sorry if that makes you feel weird about your how your dad is with birthdays and Christmas gifts.

That being said, my grandma got me an ove glove for Christmas, and I really do like it. She's getting me one for the other hand next year according to my dad.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:50 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I am pretty excited about the ove-glove. I had one years ago, but a mouse chewed the end of thumb off and I didn't notice and burned my poor thumb.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:40 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I am doing my taxes...and I feel like I should be getting more back. Then I feel greedy. Then I remember I'm poor as fork, get no financial aid for school, am not supported by my parents like the government believes all people under 24 are, and actually need every damn dollar I can get back.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:10 pm 
WELFARIST!

Thanks to everyone upthread who helped me with my printer cartridge thingie. The store up the street from me has it in stock and it took me like two minutes to find that out online. I'm getting too late a start with work to go up there today, but at least I know how to find out when and where it's in stock.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:18 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

joshua wrote:
Jigglypuff wrote:

maybe 'rage' isn't the most apt term, but people were encourage people to never visit The Onion again, email the site/board, etc. pretty extreme to me..

I definitely think it was in poor taste and they shouldn't have tweeted it because it's just sad to call a 9 year old a croissant. On the other hand, I get why it's funny - because obviously she's just a cute little girl and calling her a croissant is totally ridiculous. And that's what The Onion does sometimes, they say the most ridiculous thing that is funny because it's so obvious how ridiculous it is. I don't know if I'm making any sense, but I honestly thought it was kind of funny even if they shouldn't have done it.

Maybe it's just the kind of joke you should only make in the company of your friends, and not on the internet.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:23 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

ijustdiedinside wrote:
joshua wrote:
Jigglypuff wrote:

I definitely think it was in poor taste and they shouldn't have tweeted it because it's just sad to call a 9 year old a croissant. On the other hand, I get why it's funny - because obviously she's just a cute little girl and calling her a croissant is totally ridiculous. And that's what The Onion does sometimes, they say the most ridiculous thing that is funny because it's so obvious how ridiculous it is. I don't know if I'm making any sense, but I honestly thought it was kind of funny even if they shouldn't have done it.

Maybe it's just the kind of joke you should only make in the company of your friends, and not on the internet.

I have to agree that it is definitely one of those things that should be only in the company of friends. Text isn't going to convey how you are actually saying it. I still have that to learn myself!

I ate too much for dinner this evening. I'm going to end up dreaming weird crepe now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:36 pm 
Impressive boner

Delivery companies are trying to outbid each other for our impending house move. This is amusing!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:11 pm 
Semen Strong

ijustdiedinside wrote:
joshua wrote:
Jigglypuff wrote:

I think there are also problematic racial overtones. As others have pointed out, no one calls Dakota Fanning, Suri Cruise or other children names like that.

I thought this was a pretty insightful piece on that: http://www.forharriet.com/2013/02/for-q ... e-and.html

Just wanted to say that its pretty awesome that Quevenzhané is the the youngest actress ever to receive a nomination for the Academy Award for Best Actress. She is an amazing actress, and I hope we see a lot of her in the future.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:20 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Dude, google "Suri Cruise is a" cause i just did and the suggested search is "little bisque" "brat" "spoiled brat" "lipstick lady" and "mess"

And now I just feel bad for all the little girls ever.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:29 pm 
Semen Strong

Isn't the c-word considered one of the worst words you can use for a woman in the US? I know that its a pretty mild insult in Australia, but I thought it would be a magnitude worse than "bisque" or "brat."

But, I agree that its not nice to call anyone names. :)

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tofulish wrote:

I think there are also problematic racial overtones. As others have pointed out, no one calls Dakota Fanning, Suri Cruise or other children names like that.

When Dakota Fanning was 9, Twitter wasn't a thing. Neither was Facebook. Social Networking wasn't that much a thing. And I am pretty sure I myself have called Dakota Fanning that exact word. Because I hate her desperately for no real reason I can put my finger on, but also because that most hated of words is my absolute favourite. At least, it is as of late. I know this makes me a bad person, please don't spit on me.

But seriously, it was absolutely a terrible joke and in very bad taste and when I read the tweet (only because this thread directed me to it) I absolutely laughed out loud.

She's being called this because she's the youngest actress to ever be nominated and that puts her in a bit of a special spotlight. She could be white or green or purple polka dotted and The Onion would have come up with the same terrible joke. But the fact that a lot of people are saying this is a race issue really bother me because it wouldn't be mentioned at all if she was of a different race.

And that's all I have to say about that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:58 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I absolutely do not think that the Onion would have called Ms. Wallis a croissant if she were white. I read the implication as "holy shiitake, a young black girl who is proud of her ENORMOUS ACHIEVEMENT, how dare she be proud and confident and correct people on her name, what an uppity bisque."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45612 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1315, 1316, 1317, 1318, 1319, 1320, 1321 ... 1825  Next