| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winter skin care, itchy skin, etc
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:38 pm 
WRETCHED

So this is the second year that my skin is not happy and regular lotions are not cutting it. I have some prescription lotion from my last visit to a dermatologist but I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations of things that are skim calming and moisturizing?

Post subject: Re: Winter skin care, itchy skin, etc
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:50 pm 
Impressive boner

I find aqueous cream is good to wash with when my skin is dry and itchy.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:59 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i have something called Bag Balm that i bought many moons ago to use on my pets.
it's really greasy like vasoline. ill have to get up and go see what it is but ive started using it on my legs on spots ive scratched bloody and raw because they are so dry and it works really well.

it's something i only use at home though cause it is greasy.
i believe it's original purpose was to use on cracked cow udders (hence the name)

it comes in a green tin and i found it at CVS.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:03 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

derp. nevermind. Bag Balm is made from lanolin and i dont remember exactly what lanolin is but i think it has something to do with sheep and is not vegan.

sorry im terribly unhelpful :-/

i would recommend something greasy if the Rx stuff isnt working.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:06 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I'll be following this thread closely! This winter has been especially bad on my skin. My hands and look visibly scaly and my knuckles are so rough! Regular lotion is not cutting it for me.
I tried some really nice hand repair cream at Body Shop because I was walking by and needed some lotion. I wish they weren't owned by Loreal :(

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:28 pm 
WRETCHED

I wouldn't worry about it Lisa :) I'm not sure Aqueous lotion is available in the US, there are some imports available on amazon.

I found this by googling to see what is in the repair cream by the bottom shop:
http://www.sephora.com/ultra-repair-cream-P248407

They don't test on animals and it seems other than beeswax in some products, their products are vegan. Independently owned.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:12 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

My hands tend to crack during winter and get super lizardy, but I found Booda Butter turns them back into real hands. I use it every day and try to remember to apply a little after each time I wash my hands and I don't have a problem with cracking and bleeding anymore. I don't know if it would be good replacement for a prescription, but I've been pretty happy with it.

http://www.boodaorganics.com/products-ingredients.html

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:11 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i make sure to dry-brush before every shower and i use cooler water when i shower as well. as soon as i step out of the shower (BEFORE i towel off) i rub on jojoba oil (i use a light colored jojoba oil that's just 100% jojoba - i get it in bulk @ my local natural food store). also, make sure you're drinking lots and lots of fluids. your skin is your body's largest organ and it's the last one to receive water. so drink extra water in the winter, fo 'sho!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:39 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Gentle exfoliating, even on your hands, will help a lot. If you can get to a Lush store, they have almond-based scrubs that are really gentle and moisturizing (if not, whatever scrub you have as long as you're really gentle and your hands are like, cracked and bleeding). Also putting on a really thick coat on your lotion or whatever and then gloves can help (I do this every time I do the dishes with my dish gloves).

I got this african black lotion on clearance at Target, and i've noticed since i've been using it that I use a lot less lotion overall. I used to have to buy a new bottle almost every month, but now I don't think i've bought a new bottle in six months? I have the african black lotion in the kitchen, one bottle in the bedroom, and one at work.

This is what I have:

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/b ... Sl81FdUp0A

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:48 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Plain Vaseline works pretty well, if you can tolerate the greasiness. When I can remember to put it on after showing and before bed, my dry skin is a lot better. I bought some cetaphil moisturizer hoping it would be comparable to Eucerin, but it doesn't really do much for me. It will probably be sufficient in the summer.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:21 am 
WRETCHED

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Gentle exfoliating, even on your hands, will help a lot. If you can get to a Lush store, they have almond-based scrubs that are really gentle and moisturizing (if not, whatever scrub you have as long as you're really gentle and your hands are like, cracked and bleeding). Also putting on a really thick coat on your lotion or whatever and then gloves can help (I do this every time I do the dishes with my dish gloves).

I got this african black lotion on clearance at Target, and i've noticed since i've been using it that I use a lot less lotion overall. I used to have to buy a new bottle almost every month, but now I don't think i've bought a new bottle in six months? I have the african black lotion in the kitchen, one bottle in the bedroom, and one at work.

This is what I have:

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/b ... Sl81FdUp0A

Total coincidence but I was at the store yesterday and bought the bar soap of the same brand/african black soap.

Also I should say that the prescription lotion was prescribed more for specifically dry spots and not all over, it was also crazy pricey. So I'm grateful for the OTC recommendations.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:28 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Coconut oil. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:06 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

I've been mixing and melting a bunch of oils together. I'm thinking of making all purpose one based on jojoba, argan and grapeseed, and melting in some coconut, shea and cocoa butter.

My hands have been way softer this winter using jojoba, followed by cocoa butter or shea butter, so I figured, combining them into one might be better. But my thought is that the jojoba is super well absorbed and then I seal it all in with the heavier stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:25 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

If the "winter skin" is eczema, you probably won't have much luck with most lotions. Vitamin E oil has been helping my hands a lot but the only thing that fixes it is steroid cream, but if I use the vitamin E, my hands won't hurt and they don't bleed. My hands are so bad right now, though, that I bought gloves to cover them up at my wedding.