| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Poor Service in Vegetarian Restaurants?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:42 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I didn't know about tipping housekeepers at hotels either! But i'm also one of those people who refuses service unless I have to. Like when Brian and I moved to Ft. Campbell, we got a free ten days at the hotel on base and they told me that I had to let someone into my room once a week. So I let them in that one day (and it was weird because I literally had no where to go so I just sat in the chair and continued watching some TLC show) to make the bed and empty trash and what not. And then when we had to stay in a hotel for a month while we waited for housing, we paid for the whole month and I believe that meant that they sent housekeeping around once a week.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:08 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

No one tips 100% of the time at every tippable opportunity. I'm always learning about people I've inadvertently shorted. Sorry, everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:35 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Moon wrote:
linanil wrote:
students aren't subject to the minimum wage? They are in the US.

It goes by province in Canada. In Ontario the minimum wage is $10.25 and the student wage (under 18 and working less than 28 hours a week) is... $9.60

I didn't know that! I looked it up and in NS, minimum wage is $10.15 and "inexperienced workers" (those who have only been working in the field of hire for three months or less) receive at minimum $9.65.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:43 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Add me to the list of people who didn't know that it was customary to tip hotel housekeeping. My parents definitely never did when I was growing up, so I never even thought of it. I'll make a mental note to tip next time :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:51 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I never knew about tipping anyone but servers until like...three years ago? It surprised me one day at the hair salon that the debit machine asked if I wanted to tip. I did, but I never knew!

Also didn't know that about tattoo artists til now (I haven't gotten one yet, but been planning to).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:52 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

I am (still) terrible at tipping. I know I should be more vigilant (as the staff are getting screwed on wages), but it's a struggle to make it second nature in every circumstance.

does anyone here tip their mailperson?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:04 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

You can't do it in the US. It's illegal for federal employees to accept tips or gifts of money, and that includes mail carriers. You can give them a non-monetary gift with a market value under $20, but not actual money in any form (cash/check/etc).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:24 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

people do it though..!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:28 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

My parents always gave the mail carrier a bottle of wine in the mail box at holiday times.:) A small gift is a nice gesture but mail carriers make a living wage (knock on wood--the postal service isn't privatized yet).

Jojo- you said you've heard to tip $1 - $2 on beers and $2 - $3 on mixed drinks at bars? I've always gone by the rule of $1 per drink. If I buy a round of shots, I tip $1 for each shot...and if I'm only getting one drink for the night, I tip $3 or $4.

But now I'm worried that I'm doing it wrong...am I supposed to tip more on a cocktail?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:28 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

for hotels it depends on the establishment on when they will take a tip. i think it may have something to do with the whole "there's money sitting there but if i take it i will be accused of stealing it" thing.

for smaller hotels or cottage type places ive found that a lot of times even if you leave money out for a tip they wont take it until you've checked out. even if there is a specific envelope for tips.

for large chain hotels usually if you leave a couple of bucks sitting out like in an obvious place they will take it each day.
we usually do $2 per day and try to remember every day (doesnt always happen) but we leave the room pretty much immaculate. if there is a way to decline service we do that. we never ask for anything and pretty much clean up after ourselves except for an unmade bed and used towels on the floor when we check out otherwise i hang them up to reuse them.

for tattoos i think it depends on the work involved. i have two very small very simple tattoos so i basically just rounded up a few bucks. one is literally a red hear the size of a quarter. so one color. i think i gave the guy $5 extra.

the other one is black lettering and the red outline of a heart (can you sense a theme) and again fairly small. a little less than the width of my arm. so again i just gave her like $5-$7 more i think.

for the mail carrier we give them some sort of coffee gift card at Xmas. usually Dunkin Donuts but i think i did starbucks one year. we've done $10 or $15. we used to get one for the trash collector people and tape it to the top of the trash can but this past year they got new trucks that have mechanical arms that reach out and grab the can and automatically dump the trash into the truck so there is no person that physically gets out so im not sure how they would ever see anything we left for them.
we always get a thank you note from the mail lady which i think is sweet. im guessing mail carrier is a pretty thankless job since everytime you physically go to a post office the people there are so cranky and then the ones actually delivering the mail have to deal with whatever weather you have in your area which here is completely unfun in a tiny mail truck.

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:29 am 
Dead by dawn

tinglepants! wrote:
My parents always gave the mail carrier a bottle of wine in the mail box at holiday times.:) A small gift is a nice gesture but mail carriers make a living wage (knock on wood--the postal service isn't privatized yet).

Jojo- you said you've heard to tip $1 - $2 on beers and $2 - $3 on mixed drinks at bars? I've always gone by the rule of $1 per drink. If I buy a round of shots, I tip $1 for each shot...and if I'm only getting one drink for the night, I tip $3 or $4.

But now I'm worried that I'm doing it wrong...am I supposed to tip more on a cocktail?

I tip on the low end of jojo's scale typically. $1 for most drinks, $2 for something fancy and, yeah, more if I'm just having one drink. I think the higher end of that scale would be appropriate in higher end establishments, though. Like if I'm at some place where a mixed drink is $14 vs $5 (which kind of sucks because you're already paying more for the same thing but makes sense from a percentage perspective.)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:40 am 
WRETCHED

See, that is why I don't drink. I get annoyed when I get charged $3 for an iced tea. I couldn't handle paying $5 or more for something to drink.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:15 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I already knew I saved money but not going out to and pretty much not doing anything, ever, but I'm saving even more since I'm not tipping on top of what I'm not spending! I never thought about it until looking at it all laid out in this thread.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:43 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

monkeytoes wrote:
tinglepants! wrote:

I tip on the low end of jojo's scale typically. $1 for most drinks, $2 for something fancy and, yeah, more if I'm just having one drink. I think the higher end of that scale would be appropriate in higher end establishments, though. Like if I'm at some place where a mixed drink is $14 vs $5 (which kind of sucks because you're already paying more for the same thing but makes sense from a percentage perspective.)

Yeah I'm sure we overtip a bit whilst we're travelling, partly because we don't want to perpetuate the cheap English people who don't know how to tip stereotype and partly because if we can afford to travel we can afford to tip generously.

Not-For-Profit Cupcakes: Operation Icing.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:17 pm 
Chard Martyr

joshua wrote:

In Canada I know that the mail deliverers get paid a shit-tonne (in relation to what I get paid), so no, I do not tip.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:22 pm 
WRETCHED

vijita wrote:
joshua wrote:

In Canada I know that the mail deliverers get paid a shit-tonne (in relation to what I get paid), so no, I do not tip.

I think postal workers in the US are paid fairly well and tend to get better benefits than most of the population due to being federal workers. I think it is a nice gesture but I've never done it and yes, federal employees are not allowed to accept gifts over a certain amount and they actually have a yearly limit I believe.

I've seen postal workers in certain areas who still walk door to door! In our area though, our group of homes has a central mailbox.

Sometimes I feel like I should tip our Fedex/UPS drivers like yesterday when I ordered 56 lbs of cat litter online (it was on sale and free shipping).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:06 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

actually i just thought of this. if you retire from working at the Post Office in the US you get a government pension.

my uncle has a PO pension, a military pension, and some other government pensions.
it's crazy.

the rest of us get nothing!

i still tip my mail carrier though :-)

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:27 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I usually tip a bartender $1 a drink, maybe more if it was a big order, or I'm getting drinks at the bar extremely quickly. And definitely more when free drinks are involved.

There's so many things here I would have never thought to tip for. I think I don't want to know, so I won't feel bad about not tipping for them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:29 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Someone mentioned tipping florists and I can say it's greatly appreciated when it happens! But I feel like the way most people receive flowers it would be very hard to make who the tip goes to work out right. So I wouldn't worry about tipping your florist unless you are in a situation where the person who arranged the design is the person you are giving the money too. Employees at most flower shops don't earn very much hourly, it's not a high paying job. A lot of shops though is mostly just ran by the owner in which case if their business is doing well, they can indeed make a good living... however from my experience most floral shops are rarely ever making much money, most floral shop owners I know can rarely pay themselves.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:35 pm 
Chard Martyr

Mars wrote:
Someone mentioned tipping florists and I can say it's greatly appreciated when it happens! But I feel like the way most people receive flowers it would be very hard to make who the tip goes to work out right. So I wouldn't worry about tipping your florist unless you are in a situation where the person who arranged the design is the person you are giving the money too. Employees at most flower shops don't earn very much hourly, it's not a high paying job. A lot of shops though is mostly just ran by the owner in which case if their business is doing well, they can indeed make a good living... however from my experience most floral shops are rarely ever making much money, most floral shop owners I know can rarely pay themselves.

It's two sisters. A super small business! They are the only ones who work there. They are so sweet and so excited about my wedding and its simplicity/focus on plants rather than exotic flowers. It is lovely. I totally want to invite them to come!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:02 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
I have eaten at vegan spots all over the US and I cant really think of any awful service I have received. Maybe a few places have been slow, but nothing springs to mind. But I dont know. I tend to think people can get a bit babyish with service speed. Just kick back and relax, mahalo brah or some shiitake.

The people at Millennium could leave you alone a bit more. Every 5 minutes its a "how is everything? need anything? which I guess people like (god knows why)

Pokez in San Diego is sort of known for spotty service, but really the waitstaff is just super casual. They forgot a side salad once and gave me a pepsi when I asked for water....but I just sort of laugh that off. I dont need someone to slather my butthole, I just need them to bring me tasty foods.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:06 pm 

eugh, Im a tipping machine these days, its sort of annoying but it sort of helps me relieve any guilt I feel for making good money

5 bucks to the skycap at the airport
10-20 bucks for the cleaning people at the hotel (depending on stay length)
2-3 bucks for the dude who gets you a taxi
20% at restaurants
25% for cabs
1$ for all drinks at a bar (water included)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:44 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

mrsbadmouth wrote:
I didn't know about tipping housekeepers at hotels either! But i'm also one of those people who refuses service unless I have to. Like when Brian and I moved to Ft. Campbell, we got a free ten days at the hotel on base and they told me that I had to let someone into my room once a week. So I let them in that one day (and it was weird because I literally had no where to go so I just sat in the chair and continued watching some TLC show) to make the bed and empty trash and what not. And then when we had to stay in a hotel for a month while we waited for housing, we paid for the whole month and I believe that meant that they sent housekeeping around once a week.

I never would have thought of this before I worked as a hotel housekeeper, but it's way easier for the housekeeping staff if they can keep your room pretty clean the whole time you're staying there, because the worst thing is when you get a room that hasn't been touched for a week or two and you still only have 25 minutes to get it done. Hotel rooms are generally pretty fast to clean because they're cleaned so frequently. Hotel housekeepers are often on a really strict schedule so it makes things complicated when bathrooms haven't been scrubbed in forever and dust has built up.

Not like you're a bad person if you put up the do not disturb sign...but if you do it's nice to leave a good tip at the end!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:50 pm 

strawberryrock wrote:
I never would have thought of this before I worked as a hotel housekeeper, but it's way easier for the housekeeping staff if they can keep your room pretty clean the whole time you're staying there, because the worst thing is when you get a room that hasn't been touched for a week or two and you still only have 25 minutes to get it done. Hotel rooms are generally pretty fast to clean because they're cleaned so frequently. Hotel housekeepers are often on a really strict schedule so it makes things complicated when bathrooms haven't been scrubbed in forever and dust has built up.

Not like you're a bad person if you put up the do not disturb sign...but if you do it's nice to leave a good tip at the end!

Since you were a housekeeper, I have a curious question.

I have heard from a few hotel people that sometimes housekeepers flush the old half used soap bars, resulting in the occasional constantly clogging toilet...something I have run into a few times during hotel stays (and boy its annoying, because I refuse to have someone else plunge my gross clogged toilet). So any experience with this?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:53 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Adam Crisis wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:

Since you were a housekeeper, I have a curious question.

I have heard from a few hotel people that sometimes housekeepers flush the old half used soap bars, resulting in the occasional constantly clogging toilet...something I have run into a few times during hotel stays (and boy its annoying, because I refuse to have someone else plunge my gross clogged toilet). So any experience with this?

I've never heard of that, seems weird when you can just throw it in the trash...

Reply to topic  [ 487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next