| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bye bye house
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:17 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

My mom has lived in her house for 39 years, and while she's been talking about moving for a few years now, she keeps putting it off and saying "five more years." Well, I talked to her on the phone today and she said that she's been packing up the house and that she's called organizations to come pick everything up. She wants a fresh start and wants to get rid of everything. I had a hard time even getting words out of my mouth. She could be out of the house in a month. It always feels so nice coming into town and staying in the only house I ever called home, filled with all my stuff and memories. Now all gone. She's going to be moving into a tiny apartment, one without a guest room, so I'll have to find some other place to stay when I'm in town. This sucks. A lot sucks right now.

Post subject: Re: Bye bye house
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:24 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I am so sorry to hear that.
Hugs

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:26 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Bastah, I'm so sorry. I live with my parents and we've been in the same house for all of my twenty four years, and I can imagine how strange it would be if my parents sold the house later in my life. When everything sucks, a sense of home is sometimes all that keeps us grounded. I hope that her new apartment, despite being tiny, can become another sort of second home to you, too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:34 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm so sorry, that has to bring up a lot of feelings...

Writing!
"personal journey" blog

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:49 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

My mom was selling her house/house I grew up in some years ago (the market tanked and she didn't end up selling it), but I was sad...but it's silly, because she's older and wants to move out of the desert and the house was (and unfortunately still is) trapping her there.

On one hand, it's always sad to leave a place with a lot of memories, but on the other hand new adventures await your mom, and that must be exciting! Moving can be fun!

Blog: http://blogthejerk.blogspot.com/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mikedesert
Band: http://www.myspace.com/hornssf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:19 pm 
Bought a wardrobe full of Affliction t-shirts

(((((hugs))))) i went through that when dad died. it's sad to see the house and know i can't go inside (even though i still have a key :P)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:28 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

aww! i'm so sorry! my mom recently moved out of the house i grew up in, but luckily my sister took the place over. However, I've been super bummed out this thanksgiving because I realized we are never going to have a family thanksgiving in my house the way I remember it. My mom is getting remarried (my dad died almost 5 years ago) and we'll probably never be able to have a thanksgiving with just my family at our house again. this shiitake is hard even if we know it's making our parents happy, it's just depressing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:35 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I'm sorry, but I know how you feel a little. This was the first year I've spent with my where-I-live-house being my real f'real no other home, because my mom moved out of her house and in with her boyfriend. It's weird. I'm still not completely adjusted. I always felt like where she lived was homebase, but homebase can't be some guy's house I barely know.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:53 pm 
ugh

My stepdad died at the beginning of this month, and my mom wants to move. It's going to be weird.

ETA: I didn't mean to jump in and just talk about myself! Sorry, bastah, it's a difficult thing to deal with.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:25 pm 
Impressive boner

I'm sorry. That must be really saddening.

My parents live in the only house they've ever owned, which they bought shortly before I was born. I don't think that either of them will move while they still have each other or unless something necessitates it.

From 2007 to 2009 I lived in a tiny 2 bedroom house which was the first place that had really been my own (even though it was rented) - I decorated it, had my own furniture (donated and Freecycled), painted Miss Van girls on the walls upstairs. I've missed it since I left. This is going to sound really hippyish, but I gave part of the kitchen wall a hug before I left. It felt like the house didn't want me to leave it. It was home.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:42 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

That must be very sad - I'm so sorry :(

My parents never stayed put so the closest I have is the house I was in from birth to 10 and I still miss that one.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:03 pm 
Bought $40 worth of Stonewall's Jerquee

Sorry to hear that bastah. When we moved back here, we lived in her home for a few months and then her granny suddenly decided she wanted to move for whatever reason (it's too boring to go into). So everyone including her father had to find a new home, like a month later. It really upset her but it was best for us to start afresh. It's gonna suck for a bit then it will get easier.

b.vicious, sorry to hear about your stepdad.

Hugs to both

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:40 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Aw, sorry to hear you're going through this.

My parents announced last year that in three years they are going to sell their house and move to a retirement community. I know it will be difficult for me to have to say goodbye to a place that has been part of my entire life (they bought the house shortly before I was born). It will be weird to not be able to go there anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:01 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Tomorrow the new owner gets the keys to the house. I wonder if that will make my nightmares stop or increase? In all of them, I've been displaced and am living in a hotel or a dorm or some other place. Lately I've been having them every night. They started when I found out that the house was going to be sold. Then they stopped for a bit, and then they came back.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:43 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Oh bastaha, I'm sorry, and I can relate. My parents still live in the apartment they started renting when I was in kindergarten. For a while they were talking about buying a condo, which didn't work out, and my siblings and I were selfishly relieved because we said home would be gone if they moved out of that place. But they are getting older and at some point they are probably going to give that place up, and then home will be gone. I've started a new home of my own with my partner, but this is not going to be our forever home, so I don't know. There is something comforting about that place that has always been home. But I guess we have to learn to let go and find comfort elsewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:35 am 
Saggy Butt

I'm so so sorry that you have to go through this. I can't say that I can relate because the longest I’ve ever lived in a house was 6 years (we moved a lot when I was a kid). But I don’t doubt for a second that this must be really difficult for you.

Not sure if this will help, but right now I’m dealing with the flip side of this situation, which is that my grandma can no longer function in the house she’s lived in for over 50 years and has no choice but to move. We’ve known this was coming for nearly a decade but she was just in total denial and refused to even consider moving until she literally couldn’t go up and down stairs anymore. Now that she has to move she’s having a very hard time with it, and it’s frustrating knowing that if she’d chosen to move a few years ago she would have been able to do it on her terms, and had more time to adjust to the change.

I’m not trying to say you shouldn’t be upset, because leaving your childhood home behind must be incredibly sad and difficult. But I hope you can take some comfort knowing that your mom is getting to do this at a time when she’s in control of the decision. Because, as my family is discovering, the alternative is pretty heartbreaking.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:52 am 
Asked Santa for a pony

I'm sorry! I know how you feel. My parents up and moved with only a months warning earlier this year. I'm happy for them, but its strange.