| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Communism and punk rock
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:17 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I guess I don't understand what you are saying "we" (because we're all one big monolithic mass) are supposed to use as an alternative? 'Cause I'm pretty sure the right wing is dramatically lowering living conditions.

Wears Pleather Undies

kfad wrote:
So your article is actually what you posted above. And you are telling me that it is an in depth article... can I get some citations please...

The article is this:
http://www.academia.edu/1329946/Are_the ... th_Culture

Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I see a lot of paranoid delusions in what you've written, friend.

Drugs aren't for you, and hey, they aren't for me, either. I'm straight edge. But why is it your business how people chose to live their lives? It's not your place at all.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:20 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

DrakeRedcrest wrote:
I guess I don't understand what you are saying "we" (because we're all one big monolithic mass) are supposed to use as an alternative? 'Cause I'm pretty sure the right wing is dramatically lowering living conditions.

I would not consider the left or the punk rock world to be one monolithic mass. I am not saying that all punks are communists. But I think there is substantial overlap. Also there are many leftists who are not Communist, I have never been a Communist.

I do not think the right wing is the answer. I am not arguing in left versus right. I believe that there is more to life than politics. Capitalism is problematic, I don't know what to do about it. I care about the millions around the world stuck in horrible living conditions. I think about it often. But the answer is not authoritarianism. And the answer is not to simply stop caring about how to live a good life and just focus on politics. The answer to to try and live a good life and also consider how you can help others.

I do not think that the political right is the answer at all, but I am deeply disillusioned with the left and its approach to reducing all of life and all of philosophy to mere politics.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:23 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

paprikapapaya wrote:
I see a lot of paranoid delusions in what you've written, friend.

Drugs aren't for you, and hey, they aren't for me, either. I'm straight edge. But why is it your business how people chose to live their lives? It's not your place at all.

Where do you see paranoid delusions? How deeply have you gotten into left wing politics? How many serious leftists do you know? I have seen the stuff with my own eyes. The left thrives off youthful rebellion, off sexual promiscuity, off drug abuse. That is the culture of the 1960's and the philosophy of people like Herbert Marcuse. Study the Freudian-Marxists. Look around. How many people do you know that are politically to the left and use drugs or used to. It got that way as part of a cultural movement where people really thought through the demographics of how to spread politics quickly. How do you get young people out of Christianity, out of the culture of their parents and into the left wing secular culture? You draw them into through sexual immorality. Why do you think this is what all the music is about? Do you think it got that way by accident, that by accident people are all of a sudden so deep into politics. Of course people looked and they said "they will follow us if we turn the other way about the drugs and sex". And that is exactly what is going on. It is not paranoia, I have seen it with my own eyes.

It is absolutely my business to tell people what to do, you know why, because I forking care, that is why. I have been arrested twice, stolen from people, done heroin, been to many different psych wards, had all sorts of crazy shiitake.

It is absolutely my right to judge people and tell them if they live a certain way, it will fork them up. I wish someone had done the same for me. There is more to kindness than showing mercy.

Last edited by jstrodel on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:23 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Better places for you to rant:

http://www.revleft.com/vb/
http://www.politicsforum.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=12
http://www.reddit.com/r/Communism

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:28 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

vegimator wrote:

Why? Because you are a well-adjusted liberal vegan who has never used drugs, does that mean that it doesn't affect others when you are part of a nihilistic, communistic music scene? Of course it does.

I understand most of you are not as stupid as the people on revleft. I have many friends who are liberals or leftists who do not follow the authoritarian and violent fads that younger people do. But don't you care about the people that do? Don't you care about how the left thrives on the "black bloc" and it thrives on the punk scene and it gets its strength from drawing people into very questionable practices?

If you are such a well adjusted liberal vegan who has never done drugs, why do you even know what revleft is?

Last edited by jstrodel on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:28 pm 
Mediocre Tart

oh ffs. i didn't realise i was dealing with an undergrad politics/philosophy fanny.

Bedtime!

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:31 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

interrobang?! wrote:
oh ffs. i didn't realise i was dealing with an undergrad politics/philosophy fanny.

Bedtime!

Why can't you address the substance of what I wrote? Do you care that this almost killed me? Do you care that has almost killed many people that I know? What is so compassionate about being sarcastic? Why can't you respond to what I wrote?

I have not been in college in years.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:34 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Ok, but what about lesbian folk rock? Is that communist?

This, despite the name, isn't a punk board. I tend to listen to lesbian folk rock and 80's new wave.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:38 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

lycophyte wrote:
Ok, but what about lesbian folk rock? Is that communist?

This, despite the name, isn't a punk board. I tend to listen to lesbian folk rock and 80's new wave.

I have not listened to any lesbian folk rock. I used to really like Pete Seeger, I think he may be a communist or something like that though. He is a good musician though.

I used to like Joy Division a lot and also Wire. Lots of 80s music. The 80s were a good decade for music, very underrated.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:39 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yeah...I'm still not sure why I'm being lectured on the evils of communism. I'm not a communist and I don't listen to punk and I'm getting along just fine here.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:43 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Invictus wrote:
Yeah...I'm still not sure why I'm being lectured on the evils of communism. I'm not a communist and I don't listen to punk and I'm getting along just fine here.

If you want to reduce suffering in the world, wouldn't that lead you to want to reduce the suffering caused by Communism directly, by enslaving 1/5th of the population to totalitarianism?

I am not saying that all liberals are communists or something crazy like that. Do you think it is possible for people to have legitimate concern for the wellfare of others through caring if they are under communist tyranny? Or if they are being manipulated by communist propaganda? Why not?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:46 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Who are you talking about then and what is your purpose for posting?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:47 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

So as a grouchy old punk, I must say that I really don't agree with your logic either (and as others have mentioned, I have had very different experiences with anarcho-punk communities than you.) Here's what I will give you - Communists are doctrinaire and authoritative (man, especially the Maoists). Anarchism (in the "western" political sense) in fact developed roughly along side Marxism, specifically because of Marxism's authoritarian bent. I also find Christianity (actually, organized religion) to be authoritative and oppressive for the most part. I know people find great comfort and meaning on their religions - and that's forking rad. But judging other's deeply personal choices based on your religious code is pretty oppressive. You're decrying sexual promiscuity, for example, but I don't see sex (even with lots and lots of people!) as a problem, so long as there is consent, respect and honesty. I think that judging and shaming people for their sexuality is challenging their autonomy in a pretty major way and it is oppressive.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:48 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm just saying I wouldn't introduce myself to a new community by posting a political screed. Like, maybe say hi. Talk a little about veganism (the main point of this board). Something like that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:48 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

I...don't like communists, they killed my uncles, but, I guess I don't even know what you are calling communism anymore. No wonder you appreciated some 80's bands, because I think you are still living in the Cold War.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:51 pm 
Semen Strong

::backs away from thread slowly::

::runs::

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

jstrodel wrote:
[

It is absolutely my business to tell people what to do, you know why, because I forking care, that is why. I have been arrested twice, stolen from people, done heroin, been to many different psych wards, had all sorts of crazy shiitake.

I'm not really convinced that Communism had anything to do with whatever happened to you. I remember the 80's, Ronnie Reagan, Mrs. Thatch, and the fear of Commies. It wasn't all that and a bowl of greasy nooch noodles. I will straight up say that I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:52 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Tofulish wrote:

Communist!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:53 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Invictus wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

Communist!

When the domino effect causes this message board to fall, we will know who to blame!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:56 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

ndpittman wrote:
Who are you talking about then and what is your purpose for posting?

Read the other posters

Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Invictus wrote:
I'm just saying I wouldn't introduce myself to a new community by posting a political screed. Like, maybe say hi. Talk a little about veganism (the main point of this board). Something like that.

Everyone knows the best way to introduce yourself to a new forum is with a diatribe about *****LAZY****** servers and dipping crispy bacon and limp French fries in ranch.

Wears Pleather Undies

I think that people that have no fear of left wing totalitarianism have been brainwashed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:58 pm 
Mediocre Tart

jstrodel wrote:
interrobang?! wrote:

Bedtime!

Why can't you address the substance of what I wrote? Do you care that this almost killed me? Do you care that has almost killed many people that I know? What is so compassionate about being sarcastic? Why can't you respond to what I wrote?

I have not been in college in years.

What substance? Seriously. What did you write that actually qualifies as 'substance'? All I see is the kinda reactionary shiitake 17 year olds write on their elbows and I just can't take it seriously.

Oh, woe.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next