| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2870 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 115  Next
 Post subject: Re: the lactation station: share your breast feedin' stuff h
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:21 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I literally cried over spilled milk the other day...all over my desk.

We had a rough start--I wasn't even allowed to be alone with the babies for the first 36 hours because I was on magesium sulfate (thank goodness Carl slept in the hospital, or I wouldn't have been able to room with them until my last night), so it took almost a week for my milk to trickle in. We supplemented for the first month or so, but I gradually just started nursing on demand, even though some days it was every hour on the hour, and I'd pump in between. Those first few weeks, I almost quit. I honestly thought my kid's first word was going to be fork. It's funny because the babies have actually gained more weight exclusively breastfeeding. I had two containers of powder sitting on the counter, and finally just put them away. I've only used it when we were going out and hadn't pumped or didn't want to defrost anything.

I started work February 4, have been pumping during the day and nursing at night and on days off. So far, we haven't needed to supplement, but the amount I am able to pump sometimes seems to dwindle toward the end of the week. I'm still managing to exclusively breastfeed/pump, though there are days when I don't pump much and worry, and then things seem to balance themselves out.

It's crazy because my first day back at work, I pumped 10 ounces in 15 minutes, after nursing in the morning, and pumping only a few hours before, and I haven't been able to do it since. Also, how much I'm able to pump seems to be completely independent of how long it's been since the last time I pumped. Turning the pump up does seem to really help get a letdown, though it still takes FOREVER to get six ounces or so--up to 40 minute sometimes. Then, it's time to pump again an hour later.

I pump in my car on my way to and from work. I hope I never get pulled over and asked to get out of my car because that would be really awkward, but I try to get in 5-6 sessions a day.

At this point, I know I can nurse just fine, and if my freezer stash gets depleted and I have to supplement, it wouldn't be the end of the world, but it's just...I've made it so far, and I don't know why, but I'm really anxious about potentially supplementing again. I never thought I'd spend pretty much all day every day thinking about my boobs.

Anyway, sorry for the tl;dr. I just don't really have anyone else to talk to about this stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:53 pm 

"I never thought I'd spend pretty much all day every day thinking about my boobs."
Hah....this!

DTBK, you are freaking awesome! I can't imagine working and pumping with *two* babies! Seriously, I think parents of multiples should get some sort of award. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:33 pm 
Nooch of Earl

My MIL (very supportive of nursing, nursed her own babies to 1.5 and 2) was visiting and watching a nature documentary with Vi (I know, tv before 2, brain rot, etc) and suddenly from the other room I heard "look, Violet! The baby bear is having nur! See the bear having nur?" (nur = V's word for nursing, which she demands as a noun.. "Nuuuur?? NURRRRRR. NURRRR!!!")

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:25 pm 
Naked Under Apron

dtbk, I don't even know what to say but holy fork you are doing an amazing job!!
and I've experienced seemingly random fluctuations in the amount I'm able to pump and can only chalk it up to being stressed, or not drinking as much water as usual, or gosh, just anything. It seems so mysterious at times...
Glad you took a moment to let us know how it's going and yes, remember supplementing isn't the end of the world even though I too bust my asparagus to try not to. Oh, and we clearly need baby pix!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:11 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

dtbk, man, you are a freaking hero. HERO.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:22 pm 

You are amazing like others have posted. Pumping for one was so hard for me, I cannot imagine pumping enough for two.
designedtobekind wrote:

At this point, I know I can nurse just fine, and if my freezer stash gets depleted and I have to supplement, it wouldn't be the end of the world, but it's just...I've made it so far, and I don't know why, but I'm really anxious about potentially supplementing again. I never thought I'd spend pretty much all day every day thinking about my boobs.

Anyway, sorry for the tl;dr. I just don't really have anyone else to talk to about this stuff.

This was exactly how I felt when I first went back to work. I wish I had had someone to talk to about it, too. I don't really have anything helpful to say except take it easy on yourself.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:19 am 
Bathes in Braggs

i just read a freaking amazing article, http://hoydenabouttown.com/20090625.5497/gone-too-far/ i wasn't sure if i should put it here or create a new thread for it?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:07 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Thank you for posting that! Did you see the 'related article' "Salma Hayek “still” breastfeeding – world can’t decide whether to jerk off or prosecute"? http://hoydenabouttown.com/20081112.254 ... -cocktail/

This quote is in the article, but not by the author; it's quoted because it's so over-the-top kooky:
Quote:
As A Licensed Psychiatrist I agree that children should be weaned at about a year old. Beyond that breastfeeding is not necessary and is likely to be some form of child sexual abuse. Clearly once a child is able to eat solids and drink from a cup breastfeeding is not needed. I think some women use it as an excuse in order to fullfill some emotional void in their life or sexual void. Its a lack of maturity on the womans part. It tends to create emotionally damaged children. This children are clearly overly dependent on their mother. They have a lot of issues throughout their lives and require counseling and other things to try to get some normalacy back.

Man, if I were a celebrity and everybody found out I breastfed my first kid until he was 4 and my second until he was 2-3/4 (and believe me, I did not breastfeed every day for nearly 5 years straight for *my* benefit; and man, I am glad I never had to see a psychiatrist like him, although we did get sent to a paediatrician who told me to stop tandem nursing (bless the dietitian he sent us to, who called the head lactation consultant in Glasgow and got us the OK)) they would flip their shiitakes.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:21 am 
Bathes in Braggs

oo the salma article is great too!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:55 am 
Semen Strong

I dunno how anyone could think that breastfeeding at 11 months is good, but at 12 months is fulfilling a sexual void. I am probably doing it wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:53 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Tofulish wrote:
I dunno how anyone could think that breastfeeding at 11 months is good, but at 12 months is fulfilling a sexual void. I am probably doing it wrong.

Me, too!
Yeah, children's milestones vary so much, but the line is drawn in the sand at breastfeeding after 1 year. ;D
(My MIL is totally pro-breastfeeding, but says the WHO recommendation of nursing to 2 and beyond is just for places with dirty water. She hasn't dissed my decision to do extended breastfeeding, but we can tell she is baffled by it.)

I think it's weird that once they are able to ask for it, they shouldn't get it. Congratulations, you can communicate your needs. Now you get to learn rejection.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:58 am 
Semen Strong

Hahahaha!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:15 am 

These people who think breastfeeding toddlers us a remotely sexual activity have clearly never had a nibbling, scratching acrobatic one year old attached to them only by the nipple.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:08 pm 
Nooch of Earl

<= Trudat. Honestly I've never really gotten any static from anybody about nursing V (except my parents, who are not really anti-nursing in theory, just think it should be done locked in a room somewhere), but anyone who wants me to wean her is the one who has to break the news to her. At this point, I'd love to wean her, but not enough to endure the scratching, biting, screaming fest that would be ALL THE DAYS AND NIGHTS if I tried.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:17 pm 
And you never will.

For real. I can't help but laugh when people try to sexualize breastfeeding a toddler. There is nothing in this world that makes me feel less sexy than nursing a 2 year old (just ask my husband).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:04 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

littlebird wrote:
dtbk, man, you are a freaking hero. HERO.

Seriously. Go you!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:25 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

What are you guys talking about? I loved not sleeping through the night for 2.5 years. I would be lying there nursing at 2am, 4am, 6am, and 6:30 am, thinking gawd, this is so hawt!! I am so sexy right now!

(not)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:29 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
What are you guys talking about? I loved not sleeping through the night for 2.5 years. I would be lying there nursing at 2am, 4am, 6am, and 6:30 am, thinking gawd, this is so hawt!! I am so sexy right now!

(not)

hahaha.

refinnej wrote:
These people who think breastfeeding toddlers us a remotely sexual activity have clearly never had a nibbling, scratching acrobatic one year old attached to them only by the nipple.

i know right? z stands up, dances, climbs upside down over me... soooo glamorous and sexy.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:35 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

In one of my breastfeeding books it said breastfeeding might make you feel sexy and I thought that was very weird.

Carlos, I think, is really starting to understand the milk sign. Three times today he signed it then nursed. Later, we were playing at home and he signed it, I started opening up my top and he laughed hard! Then he dove in for a short nursing session. I wish he had learned it earlier, it is very helpful.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:08 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:

(not)

oh ya, those were the best nights... *rolls eyes* And hey, while we're at it, add a newborn to the mix and tandem feed... wooo, theres your sexual desire back :p

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:40 pm 
Naked Under Apron

uhhh what.the.fork. I normally pump at work at around 12, 3 and 6. Today, I pumped from like 12:15-12:30 and got my usual just-under-2oz. But just now, I sat down again and NOTHING CAME OUT. This has literally never happened to me in 9 months. I'm not under any stress, I've been drinking an ok amount of water, and nothing is any different than it was yesterday. What the hell is going on here?
In general I'm a little worried that I"m drying up a bit but I'm not sure if it's because Sierra is a little less interested in nursing, or is she less interested in nursing because there's less milk? Hmm not sure how I feel, a little sad maybe, and wondering if it's worth it to start taking those MoreMilk things again...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:25 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

a visit from auntie flo soon??

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:33 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I don't think I would let 1 bad pumping session bother me too much. I mean if NOTHING came out wouldn't that mean you just didn't have a let down for whatever reason - I know you aren't new to pumping but are you sure the pump was working properly? I had some really bad pumping sessions when everything seemed fine with both me and my pump - but then I realized one of the membranes had the slightest tear that was affecting the suction so it looked like the suction was good, but it wasn't so much.

I hope it was just a little hiccup for the one session and you are back to normal today!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:03 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

oh yes, check the pump! Or maybe you were stressed or something and didnt get a letdown?? I really wouldnt worry about it unless it goes on like that for more than a day or two.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:19 am 
And you never will.

Ugh you guys, the last few days, every time poopiebaby latches onto my right breast, it hurts SO BAD. Like, it feels like burning hot needles are being inserted into my nipple. Usually I get some soreness on both breasts around my period, but it's not due for a while yet and this is only in the right one. What is going on?? I haven't had this much pain nursing since he was a newborn, and it's making me not want to nurse him on that side (it's his favorite side), which is upsetting him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2870 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 115  Next