| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Poor Service in Vegetarian Restaurants?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:00 pm 
WRETCHED

strawberryrock wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:
I didn't know about tipping housekeepers at hotels either! But i'm also one of those people who refuses service unless I have to. Like when Brian and I moved to Ft. Campbell, we got a free ten days at the hotel on base and they told me that I had to let someone into my room once a week. So I let them in that one day (and it was weird because I literally had no where to go so I just sat in the chair and continued watching some TLC show) to make the bed and empty trash and what not. And then when we had to stay in a hotel for a month while we waited for housing, we paid for the whole month and I believe that meant that they sent housekeeping around once a week.

I never would have thought of this before I worked as a hotel housekeeper, but it's way easier for the housekeeping staff if they can keep your room pretty clean the whole time you're staying there, because the worst thing is when you get a room that hasn't been touched for a week or two and you still only have 25 minutes to get it done. Hotel rooms are generally pretty fast to clean because they're cleaned so frequently. Hotel housekeepers are often on a really strict schedule so it makes things complicated when bathrooms haven't been scrubbed in forever and dust has built up.

Not like you're a bad person if you put up the do not disturb sign...but if you do it's nice to leave a good tip at the end!

I would think it would even out somewhat? I mean unless you had a lot of people checking out the same day and all put up 'do not disturb' signs.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:04 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
also should I be leaving a tip every day? I have been just leaving my tip when I check out

Are they putting their butts on my toothbrush?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:07 pm 

linanil wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:

I never would have thought of this before I worked as a hotel housekeeper, but it's way easier for the housekeeping staff if they can keep your room pretty clean the whole time you're staying there, because the worst thing is when you get a room that hasn't been touched for a week or two and you still only have 25 minutes to get it done. Hotel rooms are generally pretty fast to clean because they're cleaned so frequently. Hotel housekeepers are often on a really strict schedule so it makes things complicated when bathrooms haven't been scrubbed in forever and dust has built up.

Not like you're a bad person if you put up the do not disturb sign...but if you do it's nice to leave a good tip at the end!

I would think it would even out somewhat? I mean unless you had a lot of people checking out the same day and all put up 'do not disturb' signs.

I dont know, Im always totally amazed at how messy people can be with their hotel rooms. Normally I'll tip even if I have had the do not disturb sign up for the whole stay but then again I just use the same towel and such for the whole stay. When I go into other peoples hotel rooms Im amazed at the forking mess. Towels everywhere, trash everywhere. Its like people turn into animals because theyre paying for a hotel for the night or something.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:07 pm 
WELFARIST!

Adam Crisis wrote:
also should I be leaving a tip every day? I have been just leaving my tip when I check out

I was wondering the same thing about hotel housekeepers, say you were staying a few days, because of this thread. Except I assumed they'd be cleaning the toilet with my toothbrush. You know what, I'd rather butts on my toothbrush than a toilet cleaning. A toilet cleaning is a bit more through and systematically demented.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:08 pm 
WELFARIST!

Some people go all Keith Moon in hotel rooms.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:09 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

linanil wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:
I didn't know about tipping housekeepers at hotels either! But i'm also one of those people who refuses service unless I have to. Like when Brian and I moved to Ft. Campbell, we got a free ten days at the hotel on base and they told me that I had to let someone into my room once a week. So I let them in that one day (and it was weird because I literally had no where to go so I just sat in the chair and continued watching some TLC show) to make the bed and empty trash and what not. And then when we had to stay in a hotel for a month while we waited for housing, we paid for the whole month and I believe that meant that they sent housekeeping around once a week.

The main problem with this is that one person isn't doing a large enough number of rooms for it to actually even out and in a lot of hotels there is very high pressure to get rooms done quickly. Twenty-five minutes per room was the rule at the first place I worked, and it is really hard to do a room in 25 minutes if it hasn't been touched for a week. Some days you get do not disturb signs, some days you don't.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:12 pm 

Adam Crisis wrote:

If it's a big hotel different people probably clean your room every day so it's nice to leave a few bucks every day, though some hotels have rules against taking money left in a room when a person is still checked in because what if someone was just leaving their cash there or something? If you leave some money on a piece of paper that says "Thanks!" or something it makes it clearer. Generally hotel housekeepers are going to be excited to get tips at all (it doesn't happen a lot) so leaving one tip at the end is going to be appreciated as well.

And yes, probably.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:13 pm 

strawberryrock wrote:
Adam Crisis wrote:

If it's a big hotel different people probably clean your room every day so it's nice to leave a few bucks every day, though some hotels have rules against taking money left in a room when a person is still checked in because what if someone was just leaving their cash there or something? If you leave some money on a piece of paper that says "Thanks!" or something it makes it clearer. Generally hotel housekeepers are going to be excited to get tips at all (it doesn't happen a lot) so leaving one tip at the end is going to be appreciated as well.

And yes, probably.

Good to know, I'm just going to start leaving 3 or 4 bucks a day now with a "Thanks" note

Eugh, also I might start soaking my toothbrush in peroxide before each use

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:15 pm 

I also forgot to mention when tipping

Baristas get a dollar...even though Im normally upset about the hippy soy milk tax

Also what does everyone tip for getting a to go order? I have heard that its supposed to be 10%

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:21 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

Adam Crisis wrote:
I dont need someone to slather my butthole, I just need them to bring me tasty foods.

oh, adam.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:24 pm 

When I get an order to go I basically calculate 20% and round down, as opposed to when I eat in a restaurant and calculate 20% then round up. But I'm pretty sure it's fine to tip less.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:25 pm 
WRETCHED

We hardly ever get to go stuff, except at the falafel place. I don't think we normally tip there though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:45 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Adam Crisis wrote:
eugh, Im a tipping machine these days, its sort of annoying but it sort of helps me relieve any guilt I feel for making good money

5 bucks to the skycap at the airport
10-20 bucks for the cleaning people at the hotel (depending on stay length)
2-3 bucks for the dude who gets you a taxi
20% at restaurants
25% for cabs
1$ for all drinks at a bar (water included)

This is me, with the addition of $5 for the bell staff. When work puts you in a full service hotel it does sometimes get a little annoying to constantly have cash coming out of your pocket. but like you said I am lucky to make good money and be able to share. i think its more of the looking into your wallet and thinking heyyy, i just had 50$ this morning, what happened? The only time I haven't tipped at a hotel is once when the front desk staff tried to put the bite on me. I asked who was the tip for (thinking maybe they collect for housekeeping) and they confirmed it was for the front desk. This was at the Hilton in Cairns, Australia so I found this doubly weird considering that Aussies don't tip like Americans. Which is what I told them, that I am from the home of tipping, tipping and more tipping and I'd never heard of tipping the front desk. Concierge yes, front desk no.

Someone asked about room service tips earlier- check your receipt because often the service charge is already included on your room service bill. If you want to add a few bucks there's usually a tip line on the receipt so you don't have to awkwardly clutch the cash in your hand.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:46 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Adam Crisis wrote:
The people at Millennium could leave you alone a bit more. Every 5 minutes its a "how is everything? need anything? which I guess people like (god knows why)

The "how ya doin'" waitress! They annoy me more than being ignored.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:51 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

About 10 years ago I worked as a housekeeper at a fancy inn and we left tip envelopes in the room. Most people did tip us, which was really nice and helped make my measly wage bearable. Since then I have totally forgotten about this and I don't think I've ever tipped in a hotel I've stayed at. Luckily I don't stay in hotels often... but now I feel like a huge crasshole.

Dear Nora: My cat's advice column (really)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:59 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Adam Crisis wrote:
I have heard from a few hotel people that sometimes housekeepers flush the old half used soap bars, resulting in the occasional constantly clogging toilet...something I have run into a few times during hotel stays (and boy its annoying, because I refuse to have someone else plunge my gross clogged toilet). So any experience with this?

What? We never did that. You just toss them in the trash.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:04 pm 
Mediocre Tart

I worked as a chambermaid when i was 17 and no one ever left a tip. I regularly had to clean spunk/feces off the walls and got flashed every so often... and never a single tip. I've always thought you were meant to tip housekeeping in hotels if you took advantage of services, mind (but the longest I've ever stayed in a hotel was 3 nights, I think, and so never partook of that) I also get super annoyed when I'm out for dinner or whatever with people and they don't tip a thing. And then I get embarrassed if I'm obviously tipping and they're not. I know people here get paid minimum wage, but it's not a living wage and I'll always try and contribute something. People tend to not tip for drinks in bars here unless they're very drunk or it's NYE.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:11 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

rachell37 wrote:
Adam Crisis wrote:
The people at Millennium could leave you alone a bit more. Every 5 minutes its a "how is everything? need anything? which I guess people like (god knows why)

The "how ya doin'" waitress! They annoy me more than being ignored.

I know! I train my staff not to do table checks unless someone looks like they're trying to wave you down. I especially hate when servers do this when the food is mediocre, because I do not have the guts to say anything other than, "it's great!".

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

LisaPunk wrote:
actually i just thought of this. if you retire from working at the Post Office in the US you get a government pension.

my uncle has a PO pension, a military pension, and some other government pensions.
it's crazy.

the rest of us get nothing!

i still tip my mail carrier though :-)

Well, I have a pension or as it is labelled on my paycheck "deferred compensation." I pay into it every month in addition to what my employer pays.

I make far less than my sister in private industry makes but I get a pension when I retire. Anyone can seek out public sector work that includes a pension. Just don't expect to be rolling in big bucks because most of the people I know don't make it.

A pension is not a gift; it's part of your overall compensation. Employees with pensions earn them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:42 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Vantine wrote:
Well, I have a pension or as it is labelled on my paycheck "deferred compensation." I pay into it every month in addition to what my employer pays.

I make far less than my sister in private industry makes but I get a pension when I retire. Anyone can seek out public sector work that includes a pension. Just don't expect to be rolling in big bucks because most of the people I know don't make it.

A pension is not a gift; it's part of your overall compensation. Employees with pensions earn them.

Yep. I pay to a public sector pension. It's a lot of my wages. A lot to me, at any rate, seeing as I don't earn much at all. I too make a fork of a lot less than my sister makes in the private sector. It's barely above what the government calls a 'living wage'. And you know what a bastid right-wing government calls a 'living wage' is nowhere near that.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:11 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Vantine wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
actually i just thought of this. if you retire from working at the Post Office in the US you get a government pension.

my uncle has a PO pension, a military pension, and some other government pensions.
it's crazy.

Thank you! Yes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:16 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ok well obviously i just dont know what a pension is then.

i stand corrected

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:02 am 
WRETCHED

Vantine wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:

it's crazy.

That is how my mom's pension works. I'm not sure about postal workers. From what I remember, postal workers used to get paid really well which is why I made my comment. That doesn't mean you need to or don't need to tip mail carriers, just that they seem to have a decent wage and decent, federal government benefits. Most I've known aren't scraping by but I'm sure they appreciate what tips they get. Then again, they might also have an annual limit, I don't know.

Pensions are different depending though. I'm a private sector employee who has a pension that I don't pay into. I pay into a 401k though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:35 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I left my mailman a xmas card with $10 and I know he took it, but he never acknowledged it as in saying thank you or something. Now I feel awkward when I see him. Ugh.

I was under the impression too that postal workers had good salaries and good pension plans. The postal service is going under so that is all going to look entirely different in a few years.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:10 am 
Dead by dawn

Yeah, I have a 401k I pay into and a cash balance pension plan that I don't. Before you get all jealous, though, my company suspended the cbp when they merged with another company so it only has $2800 in it. When I retire, I can opt for monthly checks in the $11 range!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next