| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13009 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150 ... 521  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:45 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Desdemona wrote:
The stupid forking Wendy's ad for the "Baconator" and - wait for it - "SON of Baconator" that aired not once, not twice, but three times while I was puttering around the kitchen waiting for the damn weather report to tell me how much crummy snow/slush I'll be commuting in today. This might be funny if it was a Simpsons reference, but since it actually exists it's just gross. And am I the only one who sees a certain, um, cognitive dissonance in the implication that "Baconator" is capable of reproduction?

I haven't seen the ads, but it certainly sounds like it.

Last nite on a Red Lobster (?) ad, they were advertising a sandwich and on the bottom it said "51% lobster". I was like what's the other 49%, and my bf goes chemical filler.

And people think my tofu is "fake"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:50 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

probably other fish, really. red lobster is gross, but maybe a little classier than 49% chemical filler.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:51 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

My great grandma used to pour milky coffee on a slice of bread and butter (in a shallow bowl) and add a little sugar. I've never heard of crackers though!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:10 pm 
Grandfathered In

ndpittman wrote:
I've never heard of crackers though!

They're like flat, unsweetened, salted cookies.

You should try them!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:14 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I think this could be an Irish thing but hot milk with sugar and then bread put in it. Yummy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:27 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

daisychain wrote:
I think this could be an Irish thing but hot milk with sugar and then bread put in it. Yummy.

That used to be sick food here. I don't think it's very common anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:31 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

Going back to the cheddar daiya wedge=velveeta thing: I melted it into pasta and made the simplest crappy kind of mac and cheese. it was fabulous.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:39 pm 

joyfulgirl wrote:
Going back to the cheddar daiya wedge=velveeta thing: I melted it into pasta and made the simplest crappy kind of mac and cheese. it was fabulous.

that actually sounds good. share!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:39 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

So, basically someone I know wanted to get me into selling this weight-loss product line to earn extra money. I'm not into gimmicky fad things like that and when I done my research it turns out that the company had commissioned animal testing and a whole lot of covering up and denial was done about it.

The person messaged me today to make sure I was going to the meeting about it and I replied that I was really sorry but I couldn't support the product because of animal testing so I won't be going. I arrived home to a message denying that there was testing by the company and at the meeting any questions I have could be answered and could I send her the links so she can forward it to the company.

Now I feel like the world's worst person because I'm sticking to my beliefs.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:59 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

daisychain wrote:
So, basically someone I know wanted to get me into selling this weight-loss product line to earn extra money. I'm not into gimmicky fad things like that and when I done my research it turns out that the company had commissioned animal testing and a whole lot of covering up and denial was done about it.

The person messaged me today to make sure I was going to the meeting about it and I replied that I was really sorry but I couldn't support the product because of animal testing so I won't be going. I arrived home to a message denying that there was testing by the company and at the meeting any questions I have could be answered and could I send her the links so she can forward it to the company.

Everything you wrote about the situation screams pyramid scheme to me. I think you're best of steering WAY clear of that even if the company was completely animal testing free.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:59 pm 
WRETCHED

So I am a bit spoiled, I'll admit it. I rarely shop in chain grocery stores but today, I needed to grab something quickly on my way home from the doctor. So I go to a chain that has been vegan friendly in the past including tofu, soyrizo, tofutti ice cream & pizza, other vegan ice creams, etc. I go today, they have none of that. They did have almond milk on sale but it looks like they got rid of a lot of their vegan stuff. Granted, their vegan stuff was overpriced and cheaper to go to Whole Foods but it was still there if you needed something close to home.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:21 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

lepelaar wrote:
daisychain wrote:

Everything you wrote about the situation screams pyramid scheme to me. I think you're best of steering WAY clear of that even if the company was completely animal testing free.

It pretty much is. The stuff I've read online is pretty off-putting. I reckon they also have the money to chase up any negative things online and get them removed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:06 pm 
Nailed to the V

baps wrote:
oreos dunked in milk is the best thing ever. In fact, any biscuit dunked in milk (or tea) is awesome. Except when you buy cheapo shiitake digestives and you dunk quick but they still fall into your tea. Then at the end you get a gobful of biscuit crumbs that you forgot about.

Also, my favourite pregan thing was putting a load of maltesers into a cup of tea then when you get to the end you have a big blob of melty malty chocolate. I miss maltesers!

I used to do that at sleepovers as a kid! We'd have hot chocolate and tip a bag of chocolate buttons in and then at the end have this lovely gooey stuff. Hey I can still do that I guess! Chocolate buttons from tesco and hot chocolate..hmmm...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:52 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

joyfulgirl wrote:
Yessssss!!!! It's also pretty damn good sliced thin and made into grilled cheese sandwiches. It still sticks to your teeth a bit the way all Daiya does, but the wedges really do taste so much better to me than the shreds... in a crappy processed-cheese-food-substance nostalgic childhood way.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:22 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Right now, I'm very annoyed with other vegetarians and vegans. Not in general, really, but a particular group of them. Sorry in advance for the rant.

I thought it would be fun to join a vegetarian/vegan discussion group. When asked to introduce myself and explain why I was vegan, I dared mention the environmental and health impacts in addition to the ethical reasons. That, apparently, was a mistake. Literally everyone in the group started in about how I was less ethical than them because they do it purely as "harm reductionists". Keep in mind that most of the people in attendance were "ethical vegetarians" who consume eggs and dairy. I wanted to start yelling at them about the utter hypocrisy of a group of people espousing their moral superiority while completely ignoring the fact that there is absolutely nothing forking ethical about dairy production. The vegans in the group were as bad. And, two of them ate a vegan diet, but did not have a vegan lifestyle, otherwise. But, I guess, as long as you don't care about the environment or your health, you can stand on your pedestal and criticize others? I'm still confused.

It got worse when I said I eat a local whenever possible, organic, whole foods based diet and generally avoid processed foods. I was called an "extremist" and one woman took great pleasure in telling me that she would never eat like that because she is not an ascetic. Really? I don't consider processed foods one of the great joys in life and I have never felt like I am sacrificing anything by not eating Tofurky or Daiya, but, whatever. I don't eat any of the faux meats or cheeses because I think they're disgusting, but I know that a lot of people enjoy those things and I don't criticize them for eating them.

The fact that I make my own tofu, make my own soy/almond/rice/oat milks, grind my own flour, make homemade pasta, soak dried beans instead of using canned ones...basically, that I make anything from scratch rather than buying it already prepared at the store was also good reason for them to insult my lifestyle. Buying grains and spices in bulk also makes you a bad person, just FYI. And, oh my god, when I said I didn't drink Silk, for example, because I won't support a company like Dean Foods, that was just about more than they could handle. The same woman who is not an ascetic made barbs about how ridiculous I am for wasting my time because even Walmart has vegan items now. I don't know what that had to do with anything, but I live in a (stunningly beautiful) small town in the mountains in Idaho. She lives in a city in the midwest and assumes everyone live minutes from at least 5 different grocery chains. We don't have chain stores and the closest Walmart is 70 miles away, the closest Whole Foods or Trader Joes is about 4 hours away. Besides, I enjoy making my own food and don't consider the small investment of time to be a waste. Driving for hours to buy something that I can make more nutritious and better tasting myself, that would be a waste on many levels.

I don't like being judged, so I'm pretty careful in conversations to not come across as being judgmental of others. However, I am entitled to my own ideas and opinions. Still, I never even implied that I thought everyone, or anyone, else should do as I do. They asked questions and I answered them, only to get bashed. Needless to say, I'm done with their little gang. They can sit around and giggle and congratulate one another on their epic awesomeness. I guess I'll just go back to my pathetic, joyless life and eat delicious, fresh, homemade food.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:37 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Sorry you got hit with such crassholery, njak. I'm sure most of the people on this forum would agree that making so many DIY foods is awesome, whether they eat processed food or not.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:40 pm 

^I'm jealous. I would love to have the time to make my own tofu and soymilk etc. I want to try it, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I think it's something I may not get in the habit of doing constantly, but should still try.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:59 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Alaina wrote:
^I'm jealous. I would love to have the time to make my own tofu and soymilk etc. I want to try it, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I think it's something I may not get in the habit of doing constantly, but should still try.

Definitely try it! Packaged tofu always just tastes "off" and seems slimy now that I'm so accustomed to eating fresh. In my situation, it takes over an hour to go to the store to buy tofu, then I'd have to come home and press the tofu for another hour to make it useable. There's two hours of my time. Plus, I can never get enough water out without causing at least some minor tofu crumbling, which annoys me much more than it should. Not including soaking the beans overnight, I can go from whole soy beans to giant block of fresh tofu in less than an hour and for a fraction of the cost. So, for me it's a huge time and money saver to make my own. I want to buy a soy milk machine, which will cut even more time off compared to using a blender and cooking the soy milk on the stove.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:17 pm 
WRETCHED

I make my own soy milk and it is surprisingly easy to do. Really, if I can do it, anyone can. I've looked into tofu and it looks easy too but I can also get really good store tofu so I'm not really inclined to do it.

I'm sure there are many people on the ppk who would say they would never follow a whole foods diet but they don't look down on those who do.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:52 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

joyfulgirl wrote:

we melted ours in a bowl and added salsa to make what we called queso.

i liked it, my husband was kinda meh on it. MORE FOR ME! the only thing is the consistancy was rubbery, it didnt taste rubbery or anything but it basically stuck to my spoon.

it made for some yummy nachos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:34 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

rhelune wrote:
Damn you all! Today I bought the only vegan Oreo imitation that can be found here (technically abroad), and I don't really like it that much.

ETA: This: http://www.gluten-free-on.net/en/gluten ... okies.html

It doesn't look black enough for Oreos... more like ordinary cream-filled chocolate cookies. It's too bad you can't have real ones.

Njak I feel sorry for you... what with whole food vegans being made fun of by processed-food vegans, and vice-versa, we vegans are making fools of ourselves.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:59 pm 
Semen Strong

An update on my chicken rant... I talked to my "veganish" friend about opposing proposed legislation in her towns to allow backyard chickens, and turns out she is in favor of it because "I will be able to give people eggs from rescue chickens so they don't have to support animal agriculture!" I explained about chicks being sent in boxes, males being destroyed, etc and she said "Oh no, I'm pretty sure everyone just uses rescue chickens." Argh.

I generally compartmentalize my real life from my vegan life, and I try not to be the preachy vegan, but I totally ended up having a conversation about how problematic backyard chickens are in the middle of a playdate with a bunch of omnis. I cut it short quickly, but I hate it when nice people look at me like I'm nuts.

My "veganish" friend is normally far more vocal than I am on animal ag issues - she'll post every video about cruelty and circulate petitions etc, but here she really feels like backyard chickens are an answer. At least she promised to read the UPC stuff and to consider it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:19 pm 
Inflexitarian

On the subject of dipping things: I basically dip everything and anything crunchy into my coffee. Cookies of all types, bread, crackers, etc. I sometimes (often) get weird looks but who cares, it makes my mouth happy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:29 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Tofulish wrote:
I explained about chicks being sent in boxes, males being destroyed, etc and she said "Oh no, I'm pretty sure everyone just uses rescue chickens."

This is confusing. Has she even looked into getting backyard chickens? Most people get chicks from feed stores, not adults!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:56 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Watching Not My Mama's Meal...see gf vegan brownies from Babycakes....seeing said brownies topped with dairy-cream cheese = sad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13009 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150 ... 521  Next