| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What's on your garden agenda for 2013?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:39 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

i don't think it can. the roots are pretty shallow, and they need all the nutrients they can get for next year's harvest. HOWEVER, maybe beans or peas wouldn't be so terrible? seeing as they fix nitrogen? (make sure you plant short ones to allow the fronds you didn't harvest to capture as much light as they can. and now that i am thinking of it, don't plant climbing varieties, cause they'll strangle the delicate fronds. bush type would be good, cause then they'd support them, which would be a good thing.)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:27 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

My housing place originally allowed gardening...and that's why I moved in.

Now, you are only allowed pretty flowers in pots...that they approve. Things that senesce in winter are a no-go. I put some fake lilies in a pot, since they don't understand seasons. We shall see if that works.

However, I have to finish grad school...so I will try and find somewhere to live that will allow me to garden after grad school. This is Asheville, yo, just let me garden!

But, I might get my gardening fix in because my girlfriend just got offered 3 greenhouses and 1/2 acre on a farm that she can take over, just giving 1/3 of the net to the owner, so when I'm visiting her (2hrs away) I will get to help her be a farmer!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:22 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I'm going to try to not let my garden go completely overgrown.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:32 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Im planning on chinese kale, pakchoi, swiss chard, twilight chillis and jalapenos. Maybe some kinda squash, maybe onion squash?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:14 pm 
Tofu Pup

This is the first year I've been able to garden since I was a little kid, and I'm super excited. My kitchen table is currently unusable because of all the seeds I have started in little cups. I'm trying to grow lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, sunflowers and bell peppers. I started them about two weeks ago, and so far the sunflowers and lettuce are growing like crazy, the spinach has just started to come up. I also put a cutting off a peppermint(my favorite herb!) plant in a pot outside, and it's doing really well.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:56 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Torque, yes, you can share space with asparagus. It will need its own bed and the soil should be around ph 7, but you can also pair it with other things if you direct seed them or plant them when their still small.

If you're into companion planting, asparagus is helped by dill, coriander, parsely, basil, and tomatoes. You could have tomatoes, asparagus and one of the herbs like dill that may need protection from elements by taller plants. Basil attracts ladybugs to eat aphids too.

Last year I planted tomatoes with mine and it worked well, I couldn't tell if it actually improved the tomato plants at all, they were about as productive as the tomatoes throughout the rest of the garden areas.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:10 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i'll have to investigate what else asparagus will take, and where i can stick it in the yard. not to mention if we can actually get asparagus starts here or if i will have to smuggle them in with the rest of the seed haul.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:44 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

we're getting to the end of summer in my part of the world. this year for summer, we have grown heirloom tomatoes, corn, lebanese cucumbers, climbing beans and butter beans, zucchini, pak choy, lettuce, red kale, strawberries, eggplant, chard and cilantro. i am still waiting for my capsicums (bell peppers) to fruit! i can't wait for the cooler months so i can plant broccoli, cabbage and brussel sprouts :D

i will post pics of our summer veges soon :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:33 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Stuff is starting to sprout in my garden! I planted a first round of things almost 3 weeks ago (snap peas, lettuce, garlic (to supposedly keep aphids off the lettuce), and carrots) and everything's started sprouting except the carrots. Next we'll start some things indoors, including hot peppers and some other things I don't remember.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:51 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

My broccoli is raging! It's the best! My parsley is going strong too but the cilantro is bolting left and right. My bed of Brussels sprouts, spinach, and strawberries never happened because the dogs got into the bed too many times. Now I think I'm going to put in just tons of basil and tomatoes. First I need a fence I guess.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:54 am 
Seagull of the PPK

❀madam dahlia❀ wrote:
i am still waiting for my capsicums (bell peppers) to fruit!

mine have fruited, but i'm waiting for them to turn red (hungarian red peppers).

my tomatoes were a wash, but i've planted more. my eggplants became fodder for the Great Striped Grasshopper-a-looza in my garden this year, I don't mind feeding them. But okra has been awesome, any leafy green i planted has been a total success, i have more shiso than i know what to do with, green beans and onions were good, rhubarb and cukes were successful and OH!
The chickpeas! They grew, beautiful foliage, but no flowers yet. I will keep you all posted.

Amazingly, my chard never bolted this summer, it yielded through the hottest weather and is still going.

CAn't wait for weather to cool so i can plant a new portuguese chard, and i miss parsley. the cilantro came back but the parsley just gave up the ghost.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:57 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

New to the garden this year will be: mizuna, rainbow chard, peppers (skipped last year) edamame, delicata squash, possibly cantaloupe, slow bolting cilantro, chives, borage.

Returning: broccoli, eggplant, kale, arugula, mesclun, radishes (new type though), tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, some beans and the usual herbs.

Not returning: strawberries (might put them in a pot instead), collards (i skip them every other year), cauliflower, carrots (skipping a year) and spinach (never does well).

I know i'm forgetting some stuff. Was just walking around in the garden and am getting really excited. The last two years were sorta so-so mostly because of being pregnant and having a baby ...oh..and the damn groundhog who learned to JUMP the garden fence...so I'm determined to get my garden producing as well as it did 3-4 years ago.

Edited to add..I've been getting free burlap sacks from Fairway. I'm going to try growing potatoes in them!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:49 pm 
Tofu Pup

Last year I planted asparagus, strawberries and two cherry trees. I should be able to harvest asparagus and strawberries this year, but probably wont' get any cherries yet. I also built two raised garden beds. I just moved into this house last spring, haven't even been here a year yet! LOL.

I tried to plant blueberries bushes, but the summer heat killed them last summer. It gets REALLY hot here in the summer, and dry.

I started a bunch of seeds, but not many of them are growing. My basil and chamomile are the only things comming up. None of my tomato seeds sprouted. I think my house it too cool. I may try again in a couple of weeks, plant more seeds. I can't really plant anything outside until late April or early May anyway, before that there is still the chance of frost so it really is a little early for planting seeds anyway.

I want to plant some grape vines and raspeberry bushes this spring. Fruit is so darn expensive at the store, and my son is a regular monkey when it comes to fruit, he eats and eats and eats it! (so to I to tell the truth!)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

where's "here"? you might be able to get a blueberry cultivar that's suitable for your location. (and you can also plant it in a bit of shade, since they're really understory plants anyway.)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:29 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Excited for these:
Want to try broccoli rabe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:17 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i found asparagus seeds! have you ever seen such a thing?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:43 am 
Bathes in Braggs

here's a pic from the other day's pickings :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:33 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I moved into a new place this winter and we have a really big balcony where we will grow as much as possible.

We are growing a ridiculous 9 varieties of chili peppers (Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Yellow, Columbian Orange Lantern, Naga Viper, Aji Brazilian Red Pumpkin, Chocolate Scotch Bonnet, Mazaroni river, Jalapeno Herkules, Jalapeno Concho and one more that I can't remember the name of). We also have two over wintering Bhut Jolokias that are growing away like crazy on the windowsill already.

I will also try my hands on some bushy tomato varieties that do well in colder climates. Also, kale! And Basil!

Ooh and I've just sown some aloe polyphylla that I'm really excited for.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:00 am 
Tofu Pup

This will be the year of Montreal Melons and heirloom tomatoes! Just started my seeds yesterday:

I'm trying out toilet roll tubes for seed starter pots and have McGyver'd up a lighting set up out of a SAD lightbulb, an emergency blanket, and some cardboard. I'm determined to garden on the cheap!

What's your set up look like?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:30 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ingenious!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:45 pm 
protein lump

ha! i'm using a SAD light too. and a heating pad for my artichokes (which is all i've planted so far). no idea if it'll help, but it can't hurt.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:08 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

SAD lights are probably pretty good for seedlings, you should be able to put them up close too (a couple of inches even when they get going). Remember mylar emergency blankets are designed to reflect heat, so make sure the temperature under there is ok if you do this though.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:20 pm 
Tofu Pup

As it turns out, the emergency blanket's heat reflecting qualities were just the thing to sprout the seeds in my cold, shoebox of an old Montreal apartment. We've even added some plastic draping fashioned from an emergency poncho to keep in the heat and moisture. Only downside: we're sort of screwed if we fall into a freezing river or get caught in a freak typhoon. Such are the costs of urban cheap-ass gardening.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:35 pm 
Married to the wolfman

pannkakan wrote:
We are growing a ridiculous 9 varieties of chili peppers (Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Yellow, Columbian Orange Lantern, Naga Viper, Aji Brazilian Red Pumpkin, Chocolate Scotch Bonnet, Mazaroni river, Jalapeno Herkules, Jalapeno Concho and one more that I can't remember the name of). We also have two over wintering Bhut Jolokias that are growing away like crazy on the windowsill already.

High five on the peppers! I've planted 3 types of peppers, 2 hot varieties (Rooster Spur and Hungarian Black) and 1 bell (Garden Sunshine). Peppers just look so damn pretty. No one in my family even likes them but me, but I don't care. I sprouted them in plastic bags indoors and all my seeds germinated in less than a week. I planted the sprouts (since we're past frost dates and the soil is pretty warm here) and I've been so relieved that it's been hot this week because I'm now terrified that they'll all die from cold.

I had a whole map drawn up of how to maximize my garden space but then I got excited and just started planting shiitake in places. I've got one hill each for cucumbers and melons, two types of carrots (some in an area I think doesn't get a lot of sun, so they're... an experiment; others in a pot in the sun), two types of lettuce (some in the ground, some in a pot, because of snails and landlords' cat), hyssop, the above mentioned peppers (and since they all sprouted, I planted... a lot of them, some in the ground and some in containers), and oh yeah green beans. And garlic! I keep forgetting about the garlic but it's doing really well.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:41 am 
Seagull of the PPK

my hungarian red peppers turned red!! and even better, they are not hot, and my hot peppers stayed hot- i was worried about hybridization but they seem to have flowered at different times.
now considering how expensive red bell peppers are i have about $100 worth of them in my garden. score!

my chickpeas finally have teeny white flowers, like the size of a single lavender flower. i wonder what comes next?
i planted the newest kale and brussels sprouts but the remaining grasshoppers found the sprouts and ate them. goddamn hoppers.
so back to the drawing board.
the weather turned cold this week, very abruptly, so it's time to sprout out the winter chard/cabbage/greens etc.

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next