| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89 ... 139  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:36 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:58 pm
Posts: 1035
Congratulations, Inceptisol and MT!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:03 am 
Offline
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:26 pm
Posts: 793
Location: Denver
Yay! Everyone is awesome!

_________________
Whoa Wren


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:58 pm 
Offline
Saggy Butt

Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:41 pm
Posts: 1156
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Well done MT, You ran a marathon!!! Hope you're feeling okay today.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:03 pm 
Offline
Chip Strong
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:13 pm
Posts: 952
Location: Seattle, WA
Awesome job guys!

Hope your legs are feeling okay today MT!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:31 pm 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:08 pm
Posts: 304
Location: Vienna
Super congratulations, monkeytoes! You finished! And with a great time. So awesome. When's the next?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:34 am 
Offline
Dead by dawn
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:54 pm
Posts: 8019
Location: Seattle
Thanks everyone! Next up is triathlon season, but I'd like a second crack at the 4:15-4:20 range. Maybe the Seattle marathon in November.

_________________
facebook
"The PPK: Come for the pie; stay for the croissants." - tinglepants!
"Cockblocked by Richard Branson- again!" - Erika Soyf*cker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:56 am 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry

Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:32 pm
Posts: 471
Congrats monkeytoes! So awesome that you made your B goal!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:31 pm 
Offline
Tofu Pup Forever

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:26 pm
Posts: 17
Training for the Lake Tahoe Relay in June.
Today I did 5.2 miles in an hour.
I'm happy since I haven't run a constant 5 miles in over a year. Whoop Whoop!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:06 pm 
Offline
Saggy Butt

Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:41 pm
Posts: 1156
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Nice one AlmondMJ.
I did a half hour cliff top run in a howling gale. I wore my new trail shoes for the first time so the wind didn't seem so bad!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:02 pm 
Offline
Chip Strong
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:13 pm
Posts: 952
Location: Seattle, WA
Trying to finally get back into running again after my stress fracture.. I've only run a handful of times since my half in November. Things just keep getting in the way, but this time I'm sticking to it god damn it.

Today was three slow miles. Plan is to do it again Wednesday and Friday. Maybe Sunday, too if my legs don't feel like death. I'm suppose to run a 7k with my sister in three weeks. Hopefully this will motivate me to keep it up this time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:14 am 
Offline
Wears Durian Helmet
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 pm
Posts: 846
Back at it...again. Hamstrings still touchy, but I'm going to ease through it. I started a loooong (six-month) run/walk training plan...today's run/walk was just 3.4 miles and included a lot of walking intervals, but it makes me happy. The moon rose to the east over the mountains as I was (slowly) heading home...and close to home I heard a screech owl calling.

When I've kept it up for a month, I will treat myself with a new pair of running shoes.

Congrats Monkeytoes on your first marathon. Sooo cool and *such* a great time! Triathlon or bust, eh?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:51 am 
Offline
Dead by dawn
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:54 pm
Posts: 8019
Location: Seattle
Yup! Last week I was off, this week is easy, next Monday all my workout says so far is "Giddy up!" I think I'm in for it. :)

_________________
facebook
"The PPK: Come for the pie; stay for the croissants." - tinglepants!
"Cockblocked by Richard Branson- again!" - Erika Soyf*cker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:07 pm 
Offline
Saggy Butt

Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:41 pm
Posts: 1156
Location: Yorkshire, UK
I had my first outdoor run before school today. It's finally light enough by 6am. It was a frosty morning & I nearly backed out but I'm so glad I went. It has just been a full moon so it was just starting to wane & was really low in the sky. 2 red deer stood watching me before running & leaping through the field & then as I ran round the corner towards the sea there was a stunning red sun emerging over the sea. Beautiful. I'm so glad I braved the minus 1 temperature. It was so spectacular I didn't really notice the cold!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:32 pm 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:33 pm
Posts: 726
Location: Sweden.
I'm having a hard time getting into a running routine. I go to a gym a couple of times a weeks on various classes and weight lifting, and I don't want to give that up to much, however, I want to run as well. Let's see how it will go! I do like running but never seem to get into the groove.

I was out running yesterday, below freezing as always but the sun was shining so it was really lovely. I ran 4 K. First downhill, then uphill. 30 minutes, felt like I was crawling uphill. I plan on running a 10 K in late summer here in town.

_________________
http://northernveg.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:51 am 
Offline
Lubes With Earth Balance
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:27 pm
Posts: 1616
Location: Sweden
pannkakan wrote:
I'm having a hard time getting into a running routine. I go to a gym a couple of times a weeks on various classes and weight lifting, and I don't want to give that up to much, however, I want to run as well. Let's see how it will go! I do like running but never seem to get into the groove.

I was out running yesterday, below freezing as always but the sun was shining so it was really lovely. I ran 4 K. First downhill, then uphill. 30 minutes, felt like I was crawling uphill. I plan on running a 10 K in late summer here in town.


Where do you run? I'm just asking because if I'm not mistaken you live in Örebro too, right? Where do you find hills around here? Where I live it's just flat all around.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:14 am 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:33 pm
Posts: 726
Location: Sweden.
Love Child wrote:
pannkakan wrote:
I'm having a hard time getting into a running routine. I go to a gym a couple of times a weeks on various classes and weight lifting, and I don't want to give that up to much, however, I want to run as well. Let's see how it will go! I do like running but never seem to get into the groove.

I was out running yesterday, below freezing as always but the sun was shining so it was really lovely. I ran 4 K. First downhill, then uphill. 30 minutes, felt like I was crawling uphill. I plan on running a 10 K in late summer here in town.


Where do you run? I'm just asking because if I'm not mistaken you live in Örebro too, right? Where do you find hills around here? Where I live it's just flat all around.


Brickebacken!

_________________
http://northernveg.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:10 am 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:20 pm
Posts: 1074
Location: Land of the First Kaiju
I let an IT band injury get the best of me this winter, and am just now trying to get back into running. 3 miles today with a short break at the 2-mile mark. I'm just worrying about doing too much, too fast. It's been a huge problem of mine in the past, so I want to get back into this the smart way.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:28 am 
Offline
The Real Hamburger Helper
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:03 pm
Posts: 2329
Location: I can't believe it's not England!
alice1drland wrote:
I let an IT band injury get the best of me this winter, and am just now trying to get back into running. 3 miles today with a short break at the 2-mile mark. I'm just worrying about doing too much, too fast. It's been a huge problem of mine in the past, so I want to get back into this the smart way.



I have the same trouble. I just throw myself into it and I go too fast too often. I've been trying to vaguely follow the guidelines I've seen for training for long races (a half marathon for me) by doing slightly increasingly long distance runs on either Saturday or sunday and then a run of somewhere between 2-5 miles a couple days later along with the regular training I do (hill running, stadium climbing). So far I've been achey and my foot has been complaining but over all it hasn't been too bad.

_________________
"Vegan to me means Oreos for breakfast." -Poopiebitch
"tl;dr: I quit working to drink beer paid for with gift cards" erikasoyf*cker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:51 am 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:20 pm
Posts: 1074
Location: Land of the First Kaiju
lillianp wrote:
alice1drland wrote:
I let an IT band injury get the best of me this winter, and am just now trying to get back into running. 3 miles today with a short break at the 2-mile mark. I'm just worrying about doing too much, too fast. It's been a huge problem of mine in the past, so I want to get back into this the smart way.



I have the same trouble. I just throw myself into it and I go too fast too often. I've been trying to vaguely follow the guidelines I've seen for training for long races (a half marathon for me) by doing slightly increasingly long distance runs on either Saturday or sunday and then a run of somewhere between 2-5 miles a couple days later along with the regular training I do (hill running, stadium climbing). So far I've been achey and my foot has been complaining but over all it hasn't been too bad.

Yeah, that seems wise. My issue is that mentally and cardiovascular...ly... I can totally run 5 miles or more, but my legs are all, "Really? Really? I don't think so," and become injured in some way, setting me back even further and driving me to sadness. I'll have to incorporate yoga and strength training to help make up for what I'm not yet able to accomplish on the greenway, but it's likely for the best.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:05 pm 
Offline
Wears Durian Helmet
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 pm
Posts: 846
alice1drland wrote:
lillianp wrote:
alice1drland wrote:
I let an IT band injury get the best of me this winter, and am just now trying to get back into running. 3 miles today with a short break at the 2-mile mark. I'm just worrying about doing too much, too fast. It's been a huge problem of mine in the past, so I want to get back into this the smart way.



I have the same trouble. I just throw myself into it and I go too fast too often. I've been trying to vaguely follow the guidelines I've seen for training for long races (a half marathon for me) by doing slightly increasingly long distance runs on either Saturday or sunday and then a run of somewhere between 2-5 miles a couple days later along with the regular training I do (hill running, stadium climbing). So far I've been achey and my foot has been complaining but over all it hasn't been too bad.


Yeah, that seems wise. My issue is that mentally and cardiovascular...ly... I can totally run 5 miles or more, but my legs are all, "Really? Really? I don't think so," and become injured in some way, setting me back even further and driving me to sadness. I'll have to incorporate yoga and strength training to help make up for what I'm not yet able to accomplish on the greenway, but it's likely for the best.


This is why I am forcing myself to follow a run/walk training program this year and building up only very slowly. The mind, heart and lungs are fine and have plenty of capacity, but the tendons are less forgiving. I have doubts that I'll ever be able run non-stop for long distances...but better to be out there doing something than doing nothing!

Be gentle with yourselves and respect your bodies!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:52 pm 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:33 pm
Posts: 726
Location: Sweden.
I signed up for runkeepers free training plan 10 k sub 65 minutes. I need to get myself into running and I think this will be a good way to do it. I have a friend who is doing something similar so I will tell him to nag on me. I run 4 k in 30 minutes now so I'm not starting from the beginning but almost. Looking forward to the first run tomorrow!

_________________
http://northernveg.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:31 pm 
Offline
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:26 pm
Posts: 793
Location: Denver
Ran a half marathon today in 2:06, which I was psyched about since the second half was uphill. C'mere under two hour half marathon time, I'm gonna get you!

_________________
Whoa Wren


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:34 pm 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:51 am
Posts: 1087
Location: Minnesota
luckyklutz wrote:
Ran a half marathon today in 2:06, which I was psyched about since the second half was uphill. C'mere under two hour half marathon time, I'm gonna get you!

Awesome job! That sub 2 hour half is my goal too. Maybe this year?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:32 pm 
Offline
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:26 pm
Posts: 793
Location: Denver
rohai wrote:
luckyklutz wrote:
Ran a half marathon today in 2:06, which I was psyched about since the second half was uphill. C'mere under two hour half marathon time, I'm gonna get you!

Awesome job! That sub 2 hour half is my goal too. Maybe this year?


Thanks! I'm signed up for a half in May, so maybe then!

_________________
Whoa Wren


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:17 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:20 pm
Posts: 1074
Location: Land of the First Kaiju
Dude, that is awesome! Well done!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89 ... 139  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer