| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Which Batman movie was better?
Batman Returns 61%  61%  [ 19 ]
The Dark Knight Rises 39%  39%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 31
 Post subject: Re: Which Batman movie was better?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:53 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
Youre all fair weather Bat fans

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:55 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

Yeah, I mean, it's definitely possible to hate, say, Starship Troopers despite loving the book. Personally, I hate the book, so I love the movie.

If there were a movie that was just two hours of Joel Schumacher shitting in Batman's mouth, a) I wouldn't expect a The Batman fan to enjoy it, b) why do I have an erection? and c) that movie would be called Batman & Robin.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:00 pm 

You know who would make a good Robin? Justin Beaver

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:17 pm 
WELFARIST!

mumbles wrote:
I agree that we can't compare these movies until we've established some evaluative criteria. For example, do you even like Batman?

Hmm...not really. I'm indifferent, really. No strong feelings either way.

I remember the 1989 movie where Jack Nicholson was The Joker and he says "This town needs an enema!" And Jack's face was a good joker face, like the make up complemented his naturally jokerish bone structure and expressiveness.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:40 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I really like both. But if you put Christian Bale's body in Batman Returns I'd probably die in orgasmic bliss. Keaton is a good actor, but I always felt he was too old and not hot enough for Batman.

George Clooney as Batman was the worst thing ever.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:57 pm 

As long as someone does that silly tough guy low voice. Otherwise I wont know who is the good guy and who is the bad guy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:35 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

mumbles wrote:
Yeah, I mean, it's definitely possible to hate, say, Starship Troopers despite loving the book. Personally, I hate the book, so I love the movie.

If there were a movie that was just two hours of Joel Schumacher shitting in Batman's mouth, a) I wouldn't expect a The Batman fan to enjoy it, b) why do I have an erection? and c) that movie would be called Batman & Robin.

See, when I told Brian to make a PPK poll and he resisted I told him, "Think of what mumbles is going to say." Thanks for not letting me down!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:56 pm 
WRETCHED

I think Batman movies are ok and I don't care much for Christian Bale. I asked my husband who is a Batman fan and he waffled a lot on this but I think he was slightly swayed to the side of Batman Returns.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:31 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm going with Greg Rucka on this that the new Batman movies seem utterly ashamed that its about Batman. I think Burton did a good job embracing the silliness of Batman along with the gloominess.

I also resent how since the Nolan films came out all the comics have to be DARK and BROODY and ANGSTY...I can't enjoy superhero comics anymore. I don't mind it so much with the Bat-book because that's really what you're into, but I don't see why Supergirl of all things need to be dark and broody.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:52 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

I'm also sick of grimdark superheros. It's not even just superheros! That shiitake infected Star Trek.

But I don't blame Nolan for that. I blame Frank Miller. I blame the 90s. I blame society.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:58 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Tough decision, but I went with Batman Returns. Those movies (and the animated series, and the comics) defined Batman for me, so I can't betray that. Also, I like Super Troopers! It's dumb, violent, sci-fi fun! AND I thought Batman Forever wasn't bad! Jim Carrey as the riddler, people! Batman & Robin was terrible, though but the Dr. Freeze one-liners score it some points. "Cool party". Hyuk hyuk.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:01 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

the frank miller books are plenty dark and broody, and i think he would also blame society, but, you know, 80s society. i haven't picked up a new comic book since i feel sick, so i don't know how rapidly the tide turned, but nolan didn't instigate the shift.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:22 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

I think Frank Miller would probably just blame liberals.

80s Frank Miller might have blamed society.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:34 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i guess that's what i meant.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:54 pm 
WELFARIST!

yeah, I mean I never really watched the CBale Batman movies but I tried to watch one once and I was all since when does Batman take hisself so seriously? Didn't these people see the campy sixties TV show? And since I never saw H Ledger's performance as The Joker but I kind of remember thinking at that time when I heard he was nominated that no performance in a Batman movie should ever be nominated for an Oscar. It doesn't seem right. No one turns in a PERFORMANCE in a Batman movie. Costume design, muzak, maybe. I always thought that was weird. But not to say anything about his performance itself becuase I know nothing about it, I just thought the venue odd. Another sign that it's taking itself too seriously. But then I curse myself because I'm supposed to be a creative person who is all about reconceptualizing things and thinking outside the box and reframing ideas. But I sort of balk at a serious-toned Batman, any way you slice it. My mind can't see how it's pull-offable it seems like a square peg in a round hole. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:20 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i've always seen bruce wayne/batman as sort of a broken guy, but that's what made him interesting. those elements were stronger in the early (like, 1940s) comics, and they seem to have gotten lost somewhat when the comic and the (very campy) show started feeding into each other in the 1960s, but by the time i read my first batman comics (1970s and 1980s issues that i stole from my uncle) the stories were leaning more into that darker place. he struck me as an outlier in the DC world in that there were so many antiheroic aspects to him, and i loved that. i'm a marvel girl in general, though, so i could be wrong about the depth of other DC characters.

this is not to say that i didn't LOVE the batman tv show. i watched reruns of it for at least an hour every day when i was a kid. my great-grandmother gave me a robin squeaky toy when i was five or six, and i took that thing everywhere.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:41 pm 
WELFARIST!

Everything I know about Batman, I know from pop culture. I've never actually read the comic. Just remember the show when I was a kid but I don't think I ever sat through an episode, only got a sense of it and saw the first Schumaker films (or at least one. I might have seen the one with Danny Devito and Arnold Schwarzenneger? And Drew Barrymore? I might have napped through that).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:58 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

acr wrote:
the frank miller books are plenty dark and broody, and i think he would also blame society, but, you know, 80s society. i haven't picked up a new comic book since i feel sick, so i don't know how rapidly the tide turned, but nolan didn't instigate the shift.

For Batman, but since the Nolan films did so well and it made Batman their most profitable character, all the superheroes are getting more dark and broody. Like Wonder Woman now will stab someone with a bottle for insulting a friend she just met, and it turns out the Amazons aren't utopic immortals but man-hating murdering rapists who kill male babies, until Hephaestus offered them weapons if they sold the babies to him as slaves. The new Superman movie is going to be Nolan-esque serious too. DC has gone absolutely crazy making everyone dark and broody.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:21 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

People have been complaining about dark and broody comics since the 80's. People also hate any changes made to any superhero that occurs after they start reading the book.

The Killing Joke is hardly light fun. George Perez completely rebooted Wonder Woman after Crisis. Things change when you are dealing with corporate owned characters.

Also, ever since As Good As It Gets I've wanted to punch Jack Nicholson in the face.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:05 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

All of the Batman movies are terrible/wonderful

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:16 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Vantine wrote:
People have been complaining about dark and broody comics since the 80's. People also hate any changes made to any superhero that occurs after they start reading the book.

The Killing Joke is hardly light fun. George Perez completely rebooted Wonder Woman after Crisis. Things change when you are dealing with corporate owned characters.

Also, ever since As Good As It Gets I've wanted to punch Jack Nicholson in the face.

I don't mind changes, I actually really looked forward to the New 52. Yes, changes are made, but some things are staples. They got more serious, but they kept some of the camp that makes it really enjoyable. Wonder Woman was more serious after Crisis, but she was still fighting Nazis with a gorilla army and her mother had flaws, but not a baby killer. I feel its getting way more misogynistic lately, which is saying something, probably as backlash of the increasing feminist critique.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:01 am 
Ninja Master

Batman & Robin was a massive festering turd. But I loved Batman Forever. Mainly because I love Jim Carrey.

Christian Bale's STUPID batman voice makes the new films really annoying.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:25 pm 

baps wrote:
Batman & Robin was a massive festering turd. But I loved Batman Forever. Mainly because I love Jim Carrey.

it was also his Terminator voice...hes a dildo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:29 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

The Jack Nicholson Batman film is the only one I never watched all the way through. I got bored.

Both of the most recent films were quite good. Heath Ledger redefined the Joker, but I still like Arkham Asylum/City's Joker better (Harley Quinn's presence is mandatory; she's probably the most interesting, and least inconsistent character out there, thanks to her recent creation). Recent Film Bane was a lot better than Old Film Bane, but he was still not quite Bane. All Catwomen are fairly different; she's been around since 1940, and this one was fairly interesting and I liked how they worked a gimmicky character in without her appearing gimmicky.

I think I liked Rises best. Both films had more plot holes than a shark has teeth, but the coolness of TDK comes from Health Ledger's performance but I think Rises stands up better all round.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:48 am 
Ninja Master

Adam Crisis wrote:
baps wrote:

it was also his Terminator voice...hes a dildo

Agree whole heartedly.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast