| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Vegan Doc Martens are back!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:58 am 
Not NOT A Furry

So I've had my oxfords for awhile, but I hardly ever wear them. I'm really wishing I had bought the boots instead. I've been thinking of getting the cherry ones but the color seems like it might clash with a lot of my wardrobe, so now I'm considering selling mine and buying the black boots instead. (The idea of having both the black oxfords and the black boots seems excessive to me.) I really wish they would come out with a brown colored boot that's vegan.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:41 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I want high heels! Or wingtips!
I've had my boots for just over a year and they still wear and look great. But seriously , I'd buy another pair or 2 if they offered more styles. It's so annoying to see my omni friends gripping floral or high heeled docs that aren't available to vegs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:24 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I've had mine for just shy of a month now and they're the comfiest things that have ever graced my feet. I've worn them almost every day and they have been a godsend in this awful rainy weather that the UK has had for the last month. I haven't had any sort of rubbing at all/ no blisters etc. I love them so so much.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:16 pm 
Tofu Pup

just got back from LA yesterday and stopped at "Posers" on Melrose who are a Doc Marten dealer and they had lots of vegan models. In the classic styles they had the 8-hole (ox blood, purple and black) and the 3-hole gibson (black). They also had the mary janes and a cool high top canvas shoe too. I got the 3-holes and love them. Strange though, my last pair of leather Doc Martens (bought them over 15 years ago before I was vegan) are a size 7 and these are size 9! So I would suggest trying them on if you haven't worn DMs in many years. These are the best looking vegan boots I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:03 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

My bf got me these for Xmas. Vegan and cute! http://instagram.com/p/TzBKwAqSte/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:14 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

blisslikethis wrote:
I tried these on recently at the DM store while in Portland, they were cozy and looked well constructed but it was disappointing to glance around the store at all the cute styles and colors and then having exactly two boring vegan options. The Cherry Red is not really red but an awful, cheap looking brownish color. I am still deciding on whether or not to get a pair in the black.

The reddish brown is what I am eyeing because I usually wear brown boots (from veg shoes) but the boot color for my uniform is reallly supposed to be cordoban, which is a reddish brown! Wheeeeeeee I could maybe wear them to work!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:53 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Can anyone whose got a pair of the vegan Doc boots comment on the breathability or lack thereof? From what I can gather the synthetic material Docs use is not breathable (unlike the Vegetarian Shoes materials which are) so no problem this time of year but could get real sweaty/stinky in the warmer months.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

JimXVX wrote:
Can anyone whose got a pair of the vegan Doc boots comment on the breathability or lack thereof? From what I can gather the synthetic material Docs use is not breathable (unlike the Vegetarian Shoes materials which are) so no problem this time of year but could get real sweaty/stinky in the warmer months.

My feet get pretty warm, if not super sweaty, when I'm wearing them inside with thicker socks. I don't really wear boots when it's warm out though, so it hasn't been an issue.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:58 am 
Huffs Nooch

OK thanks, kind of what I feared. I'm gutted 'cos I'd love some DMs but I think £115 for shoes that aren't breathable is pretty cheeky & makes the vegan version inferior to the leather boot even though it's more expensive. Given that so many other brands can get their hands on breathable stuff like Lorica hopefully DM will cotton onto this sooner or later.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:07 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

pazzmore wrote:
Strange though, my last pair of leather Doc Martens (bought them over 15 years ago before I was vegan) are a size 7 and these are size 9! So I would suggest trying them on if you haven't worn DMs in many years. These are the best looking vegan boots I've ever seen.

Wouldn't a British size 7 be somewhere around a US size 9?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:15 am 
Huffs Nooch

Bit of an update 'cos I may have moaned unfairly - I contacted DM to enquire about the 'Felix Rub Off' material used in their vegan footwear & have been told that:

Quote:
Due to the construction of the material and the air pockets in the stitching, this is a breathable material.

Good news, now all I need to do is convince myself I can justify spending £115 on a pair of boots!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:43 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I have a few friends that have the vegan docs and they all love them and no complaints of sweaty feet!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:42 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I've really been thinking about getting a pair, but I'm having flashbacks to the breaking in period and bleeding heels.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:48 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

You won't have that with these, they are soft! I had a pair way back in the day that I just couldn't wear they were so uncomfortable. My husband got his pair at Amazon I think for $85 bucks or something. In the store they were 40 or so bucks more. His are super comfy he says.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:09 pm 
WRETCHED

I never wore Doc martens but the oxfords remind me of the Skechers I used to wear in college. I like the t strap ones but I don't know what socks i'd wear with them!?

Although the purple and cherry red oxfords are tempting. As for boots, I'm not sure I could rock them well.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:49 pm 
WELFARIST!

I'm reviving this thread because I recently bought a pair of vegan Docs and so far the experience has been pretty terrible. When they first arrived, the first thing that struck my mind was how cheap they felt. I'm almost afraid to wear them or tug on them too hard because it feels like I'd tear the boots. I'm also having massive issues with sizing. I'm generally a 9.5 but I read that these run large so I bought a 9. When I tried them on they wrinkled a lot on the sides, the front was snug against my toe area but it felt like there was a lot of room in the back of the boot, and when I walked it felt like my boot was mainly staying on because of being tied so tightly to the ankle. The shoes would lift up and slip down as I walked. My boyfriend suggested getting gel insoles and then trying them again so I did. Now they feel tight on the toe part/front part and it's too painful to walk, and only the left foot still has the boot slipping down while I walk, the other one feels fine in the back. It's been extremely frustrating. I really need quality vegan boots and Docs would be great but I'm about ready to just send them back and say fork it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:14 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

i have been wearing my 14i a lot (when it is not hot!), no issues, love them and apparently others who stop me do to!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:35 pm 
Nailed to the V

My partner has a pair of vegan Docs. They split open on the side, and the sole came undone after he wore them about six months.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:43 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Mr. Shankly wrote:
I'm reviving this thread because I recently bought a pair of vegan Docs and so far the experience has been pretty terrible. When they first arrived, the first thing that struck my mind was how cheap they felt. I'm almost afraid to wear them or tug on them too hard because it feels like I'd tear the boots. I'm also having massive issues with sizing. I'm generally a 9.5 but I read that these run large so I bought a 9. When I tried them on they wrinkled a lot on the sides, the front was snug against my toe area but it felt like there was a lot of room in the back of the boot, and when I walked it felt like my boot was mainly staying on because of being tied so tightly to the ankle. The shoes would lift up and slip down as I walked. My boyfriend suggested getting gel insoles and then trying them again so I did. Now they feel tight on the toe part/front part and it's too painful to walk, and only the left foot still has the boot slipping down while I walk, the other one feels fine in the back. It's been extremely frustrating. I really need quality vegan boots and Docs would be great but I'm about ready to just send them back and say fork it.

I think they are a little bit wider since they're unisex. I have to wear thicker socks with mine, for sure. Insoles might help, but if you don't like them, you don't like them.

As far as quality though, I got mine when the vegan docs were first released (again) and have been wearing them with regularity and they don't look particularly worn, and nothing has broken.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:44 pm 
Chip Strong

I've been wearing mine eight hours a day, five days a week and they look almost new, except that I need to clean them. I'm surprised that people are saying they feel cheap and are falling apart. Maybe there was a bad run, or maybe some of the colors or styles are better made than others (mine are black)?

I will admit that they don't seem to breathe well at all, especially now that the weather is getting warmer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:52 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Derp edited because I should've read the rest of the thread!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:36 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I also got my Docs (shoes not boots) when they first were reintroduced too and the quality seems fine to me, even compared to the Vegetarian Shoes shoes that I had before the Docs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Mine are also black 8-eyelet boots, probably first run, in awesome shape, if we think that makes a difference in quality.