| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7642 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258 ... 306  Next
 Post subject: Re: What nail polish are you wearing?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:01 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I need some mani inspiration... what should I wear? I have almost every non-glitter Butter color, and a bunch of Zoyas - mostly in grays and blacks...

Currently, I have BL's Two Fingered Salute on:
http://www.vampyvarnish.com/wp-content/ ... Salute.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:05 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

mrsbadmouth wrote:
I usually forget to even attempt to match clothes to polish, but I think anything blue, green, yellow, or purple will work.

So ORLY changed their bottle design, they switched them out at Sally's and my first thought was 'WHAT DID THEY DO WITH ALL OF THOSE OLD BOTTLES?!'

I thought the same thing! As soon as I noticed that all of the bottles changed, I ran to the clearance rack to see if I was about to have a REALLY good day. Alas, it was not to be.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:48 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

baps wrote:
Kitteh get yourself some nail glue. cut out enough tea bag paper to fully cover the split then put it on and paint on the glue thinly. buff it down if it's too rough. then base coat and colour... etc. it's pretty easy. It should last a few days before you have to redo it.

ndpittman wrote:
Kitteh: I randomly read this last night-- http://veganclaws.com/2012/09/06/fixing-a-break/

Also, you are amazing. The Life in Outer Space mani kills me.

I'm glad to know that I wasn't the only one to google the new Orly bottle. I kind of like it though. Kind of Euro?

Thanks, ladies! I can't get to the shops til this arvo, so I'm just trying to be careful until I can have a go at patching it. And baps, I'm glad you mentioned re-doing it, I was wondering if it would grow out or if I would have to re-do it when I remove the polish I put on top.

I was just going to cut it off and file my nail short but I really want to try out water marbling today, and it'll look weird with one short nail, so I am determined to fix it.

nd - I showed the author and now she's going to try some nail art for her book launch (it's one of my fave books of 2013!)

Nicole - Two Fingered Salute is nice, it's going on my to-buy list. What about Jaffa?

Zelavie - I love that your day would have been made by polish being on sale! Hopefully they do a clearance soon.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:49 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

funny that people are suggesting the nail polish in silver linings playbook is zoya kelly (or some similar dark grey)... when i saw it, i thought it looked more like something along the lines of zoya storm (dark with some sparkle). they didn't zoom in on it much, but you could see it often enough that i kept trying to get a look, heh. i do have zoya kelly, though! maybe i'll have to take her out for a spin. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:32 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I haven't seen it but now I'm curious!

It would be funny if it turned out to be one of the CG Hunger Games polishes...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:59 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

i was bored & sick yesterday and did 3 different coats of glitter....then forgot i had to wash the dishes...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:58 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

The base of these nails is ChiChi Can't Buy My Love, the pink petals are Zoya Maya, the stems and most of the hummingbird is done with L.A Colors Art Deco striper in Bright Green plus there's some L.A Colors Color Craze Sea Siren on the wings, the yellow centre of the flower is the orangey version of L.A Colors Color Craze Shock, the black outline is done with a Glam Nails nail pen and the tips and tops were sponged with Barry M Mushroom.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:41 am 
Level 7 Vegan

amazing!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:02 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

cool!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:17 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Kitteh! You slay me woman! Love that one.

I'm wearing Butter London Wallis this week and love that it looks like Fort Knox and Wallstreet had a baby. Having the DHL guy comment on my nails was the highlight of my week. Beat getting a crappy-fitting "custom measured" skirt from eshakti...hands down!

ba da bum!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:58 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Pedicure: WnW 'rock n roll"...it is pretty watery and it turned out like crepe. I will live with it for a few more days.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:17 am 
Ninja Master

Awesome, Kitteh. I love it.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:17 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I have a question for you longtime Zoya users. Is it true that once opened the polish only lasts 24 months? I just saw that on their FB page. It's scaring me because I always thought nail polish lasted forever. I've never had a bottle dry up on me. The only way I lose a bottle is when I drop it on the floor. I have so many Zoya untrieds (some will be a year old in April) and I keep buying more.

Does anyone have Zoyas older than 2 years that are still usable? It also said they last 3-5 years unopened. But I always open every bottle whether I use it or not, just to look at it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:35 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I definitely have some that are older than two years that are still totally fine. I feel like that's just one of those things that companies have to say or something.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:15 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Regarding shelf life:
http://www.scrangie.com/2008/12/restori ... -most.html

Ecxept, toulene is one of those nasty ingredients... Zoya also sells (toulene free) polish rejuvenator, so I'm sure that even if there were some changes over time it's not the end of the world.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:26 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Thanks you guys. It kind of makes sense that companies feel they have to say that. If nothing else it's good business.
I've bookmarked the "restoring polish" page, that's really helpful. I've seen the renew drops on Zoya's site but haven't tried them. I try to avoid toulene too.

You both eased my mind :-) I did a pedi tonight and wasn't planning to use Zoya but considered it because I had all these visions of it drying up on me...lol. Anyway I went ahead and did a pedi w/ Diamond Cosmetics "Not Your Hum Drum Plum" topped with LA GIRL Glitter Addict Eutopia.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:27 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I think I've had some Zoyas longer than that and so far so good (knock on wood).

mrsbadmouth wrote:
So ORLY changed their bottle design, they switched them out at Sally's and my first thought was 'WHAT DID THEY DO WITH ALL OF THOSE OLD BOTTLES?!'

I went to a Sally's today and saw the new bottles and that was my first thought too! Where are they, and can I buy in bulk on sale?

I did buy a CG Merry Berry for $2.69 and a tiny Orly that looks like Zoya's Rory for the kid for Easter.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:13 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Thanks, lovelies! I showed the author and she seemed really happy :) I'm hoping to start my nail polish blog this weekend!

Baaaaaps! How do I remove the tea bag patching I did? I googled it last night but mostly I got info on removing acrylic nails, and their suggestion is to soak nails in acetone. I didn't do a very good job with my patching and it's made my nails a bit lumpy looking but it's stayed on for over a week now and doesn't soften when I remove my polish. Thank you!

BookLuster - I'd always thought polish just lasted forever, perhaps ending up a bit thick, but I didn't know about Zoya's shelf life. I've had my Zoyas since 2010 and they seem fine :)

For these nails I used Barry M Matte White then I taped them off and added Orly Liquid Vinyl. I used a Glam Nails Nail Pen in red for the line and another, baby blue, for the tear drop

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:33 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I don't know if it was just certain Sally's or what but over President's Day weekend they had big boxes up at the counter full of Orlys. One box was polish and the other was treatment coats. You could pick one free with any $3 purchase. I was there one day and wanted to go back numerous times. They told me they would be there until they were gone because they had to get rid of the old bottles. So when I went back there was no sign of them and the person working that day said she guessed they were all gone. But they had a LOT and there's no way they all went. This Sally's is very small and doesn't get much traffic. So I don't know what happened to them. I was already planning which ones I wanted to get. The day I was there I got a full size Naughty for free and I bought China Glaze Cast a Spell and Blue Bells Ring on clearance that was also 50% off.

Appifanie and Kitteh, glad to hear your Zoyas are still going strong :-)

Kitteh, I've been catching up on this thread and am blown away by all your book nails. Not just the nails which are beyond amazing but also all the books you read!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:42 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Book Luster wrote:
Does anyone have Zoyas older than 2 years that are still usable? It also said they last 3-5 years unopened. But I always open every bottle whether I use it or not, just to look at it.

welp, i bought my first zoyas in march 2011, so i guess we're about to find out. i'll let you know if they suddenly dry up or explode or turn into a goopy mess, but i sure as heck hope that was just CYA language from them and not based on anything in reality! i've got something like two dozen of their bottles hanging out here, and i'm counting on them lasting me a good long while. some of them do that separate-y thing if they sit there too long, but after a good shake they're still totally fine.

the renew drops from zoya are great; i use them for the anchor/armor all the time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:45 am 
Ninja Master

Kitteh soaking in acetone or polish remove with it in will remove the glue. soak a cotton pad in remover, put on the nail and wrap in foil. leave it 10 mins and it should gently scrape off.

Ps, this wrapping method works on stubborn glitter polish too if you ever have problems removing it.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:48 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Thanks, Baps! I want to take them off because it's been a while, I will give that a go when I get home.

Book Luster wrote:
Kitteh, I've been catching up on this thread and am blown away by all your book nails. Not just the nails which are beyond amazing but also all the books you read!

Thanks, BL! I take it from your name you read a lot, too? Do you read YA? Are you on Goodreads?

Also, I've started my new nail blog, I need to work out some of the formatting, the design I went with has mucked up the usual blogger layout, and I'm just posting old manis at the moment but it's finally up and the header was done by Amanda :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:16 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

gah, so cute!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:27 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

book luster! there's a sally's near me that's new and never busy. I have to go look.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:41 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Bluedawg-thanks for the tip about renew. I'm putting it on my next Zoya order. Anchor and armour (my very first ones) are on the way to me. They are out there in "smartpost" world somewhere.

Kitteh-I used to read voraciously but it's been a casualty of my anxiety :-( Trying to find my way back to books. I do enjoy some YA and I might (???) have signed up on Goodreads. But I didn't fill out a proper page and now it's been completely neglected anyway.

Appifanie-good luck at Sally's. Crossing my polished fingers for you...lol.

I did a mani for my man's bday. Starry Night by Diamond Cosmetics and Soulmate by Sinful Colors (bought prior to PETA taking Revlon off their list). Have those on alternating hands with an accent finger done in each color. Topped with an indie glitter of hearts and small iridescence specks. Did this because one of the gifts I got him is a star named after us, so they are supposed to be space-like love nails. Gah, I already see 2 chips. So annoying....off to touch up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7642 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258 ... 306  Next