Keep the iphone 4 77%  77%  [ 23 ]
HTC Desire X 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Samsung SIII mini 17%  17%  [ 5 ]
Sony Xperia P 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 30
 Post subject: Choose my smartphone
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:03 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I have a 2 year contract with T-Mobile which has to be renewed before the 18th. I currently have an iphone 4 with a fancy data plan which no longer exists. I can update the contract to reflect their current offerings or, based on my usage, choose one of the Android phones listed in the poll. (If I get a new phone, I would gift the iphone to my dad.) WWPPKD? (Halp!)

Annoying iphone things that I can continue to live with:
- different media player for my wmv and not-iTunes-friendly songs
- no gchat or easy google interface
- annoying iphone mail app (because I prefer to keep everything in the cloud, etc. etc.)
- Apple's map app; seriously?

Post subject: Re: Choose my smartphone
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:10 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I voted for either keeping your iphone or going for the samsung. My advice is, whatever you do, DO NOT GET A SONY! That name used to stand for quality, but my first smartphone was a Sony and it borked up constantly, plus at a certain point, it stopped taking a charge. I figured it was because I got it second-hand (from a friend who gets a new smartphone every year, so it was only a year old). But when I started to google looking for advice, I found out that all the problems I was having were really common and when people sent their phones to Sony for repair, they were told there was nothing wrong with them and they wouldn't fix the problems.

I don't know anything about the HTC, but I'm really really happy with my Samsung. It's a different model, but everyone I talk to who has a Samsung seems happy with it.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:17 am 
Level 7 Vegan

basically keep the iphone, since there is no "why the hell does everyone need a smartphone?" enviorment, child labour, bla bla bla

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:37 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've only ever owned a Galaxy S III Mini (my 1st smartphone), but I love it. It's really easy to use, and I love the swipe feature (except when it doesn't want to spell swears). I didn't really dig the other Android phones I tried out when I was shopping for a phone. And I tried an iPhone once and didn't really love it, which is why it took me so long to get a smartphone in the first place. I mean, your mileage may vary since you're already used to the iPhone.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:00 am 
Keepin' It Seal

I voted keep the iPhone. mostly because I wouldn't want to re-learn how to do everything. And a couple of things that might make it easier to keep the iphone, if you choose that route: it's not perfect, but you can gchat on the Vtok app. And there's a google maps app that you can use instead of apple's default one.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:07 am 
Inflexitarian

Keep the iphone 4. That's what I've got, and I've looked into switching to non-Apple products, but the Apps aren't as good. My mom offered to upgrade me to the iphone 5, but the iphone 4 still seems totally awesome to me.

And yeah, it's better for the environment, slave labor, etc. to use the heck out of your electronics.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:27 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I have found that, by and large, app stability just isn't the same on android. Plus, I find people who go from iPhone to android take a long time to be pleased or aren't at all. My mother in law has a nice Samsung one but when I use it or reply to texts for her it drives me nuts.

I've never been an iProduct zombie and my first smartphone was the early early Htc but build quality was crappy and apps never worked with it because I couldn't update to new versions of android. But I love my iPhone.

I use talkatone for gtalk and also have downloaded google maps.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:50 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

If you can find an Android phone with the newer version of Android (Jelly Bean) the functionality you can get out of Google services is just incomparable to what you'll get on iOS. I use a Galaxy Nexus (GSM version) that I bought off the Google Play store and I love it. Only drawback is the battery life isn't as good as the iPhone, but GMail, Gtalk, calendar, & GVoice integration, and my lock-screen notifications are just too good for me to ever give up. There is a lot more app parity now than there was in the past between the two systems so I don't think that should influence your decision as much as it would have 2 years ago. Temple Run 2 and WWF work just as well on both.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:59 am 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

Keep your IPhone.

I just got my first smartphone at the beginning of Feb and since I didn't know what I wanted, I played around with both an IPhone and an Android(that family members owned), and I liked the IPhone much more. And I was vehemently against getting an IPhone and would have preferred anything else, but since I was being added to my brothers plan, rather than getting my own, I didn't have a ton of options, but now I'm really happy with it.

Also, I was teaching my aunt how to use her Android the first time I ever saw it, so I wouldn't be worried about relearning how to do things, if you choose to change.

One last thing to think about, how much would you be spending if you got a new phone, or would you be able to get one for free with your plan? Only something to think about since when I was getting mine, the 4 was free, but the 5 was $100. And I'm cheap, so I went with the free one.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:59 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

If you want to be able to customize the look of your phone and add widgets and stuff to your phone then go to Samsung, if you are a sort of tech-y / tech savvy person.

If you simply want your phone to work to place calls and send texts and don't care about customization then stay with iphone (if you like your iphone now).

I have always been an android user. I considered switching to iphone this time around but after having all the customization and widgets on android, i found the iphone to be very boring - nothing to customize/play with on the phone. I went with the Galaxy Note 2 and I am very happy with it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:21 am 
Married to the wolfman

I love my iPhone, but if I was going to move to something else, I'd move to Samsung. Best Android phones out there.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:16 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i was able to dl a google maps app onto my iphone recently. i think they sort of gave up on their apple maps failure. not 100% sure though.
i also dont really use the google maps on my phone unless really in a bind. since most of the time i need navigation is in my car i use a gps so i dont run down my phone battery

i also agree. dont buy sony. sony sucks.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:18 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

also if you're at all techy and like to play with stuff and customize it then i would get an android rather than an iphone.

it's way easier to root an android rather than jailbreak an iphone.

i dont really care about that stuff so i love my iphone but my husband and all his nerdy friends have rooted androids

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:44 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

VeganinBerlin wrote:
basically keep the iphone, since there is no "why the hell does everyone need a smartphone?" enviorment, child labour, bla bla bla

If you have a cell phone, or any electronic device, you are using these materials. Nobody wants to mine to worst offending minerals in their own precious countries, so everybody looks the other way. The biggest problem is not electronic devices but forked up political and social will.

I can't my references on this right now because my Weebly is down, but ~60 of the wordl's coltan is in the DRC. That means that 40% is everywhere else, including Montana, Canada, Venezuela, Australia, etc. I think China has some too. It isn't mined anywhere because nobody wants to build the facilities and it isn't profitable because DRC and Rwandan coltan is CHEAP. Right now, if you own a company that is manufacturing medical equipment, cell phones, computers, or almost anything else, you have to buy your tantalum and rare earth minerals where they are actually being mined and sold.

But, the world markets can get these elsewhere if prices go up.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:01 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

As much as I get a kick out of my iPhone4, I wish I had stuck with my old motorola bare-basics $20/month cell phone.

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:13 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

lavawitch wrote:
VeganinBerlin wrote:

If you have a cell phone, or any electronic device, you are using these materials. Nobody wants to mine to worst offending minerals in their own precious countries, so everybody looks the other way. The biggest problem is not electronic devices but forked up political and social will.

I know and I have a really bad conscious about it. If my 3 year old mobile stopped working, I'd get a used one.

So because it's politics fault that child labour exists, we can just buy more and more electric devices we don't need? After I read this amazing book on the congo last year I can't get the sentence out of my head, that in almost all cases when you hold an electric device in your hand, you got African blood on it. I just always hope the things I own will keep a long time because finding good used electronics can be a pain in the arse.

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:24 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

No, not at all. I'm a gadget geek, but I'm still using my four year old iPhone. I'll keep using it until the battery is completely gone. When I get a new one, I'll send my old one into a recycling program.

But we can do something concrete about this issue without the unrealistic idea that people will stop consuming what they don't really need. We can mine this stuff in Montana and Idaho in the US, and we can do it using modern environmental safeguards and fair labor conditions. We just don't want to. We have to choose: do we want to trade off our own environmental concerns for child and slave labor and disregard of the environment in Africa?

And it isn't just electronic devices that we use: it's practically everything that runs our society. Medical equipment is a other big one. Just not upgrading our cell phones etc doesn't actually do much to solve the problem. Recycling our devices would help, but most people don't even do that.

It's one of my big peeves that people focus on DRC coltan like we NEED it. We don't. Sure, it's the largest deposits in the world, but it's not freaking all of it.

Another sad fact is that anytime discussion of mining elsewhere crops up, environmentalists mobilize and try to shoot it down. We can't have it both ways.

Of course it's sort of moot anyway: no company is going to mine now DRC sources in order to lose money. Prices would have to go up.

This is realistic, however. There are already fingerprinting techniques available that can tell exactly which mine the minerals came from. This is already being used to some extent to sift legit African coltan from conflict coltan. A similar process helped mostly end the reign of "blood diamonds." Which leads me to another big peeve: everything coming from Africa is not conflict, tainted, or bad, for forks sake. The media does a lot to perpetuate this.

Haha. Sorry. Soapbox and geology geek topic of mine.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:28 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

It's not in your poll, but I just got a Nexus 4 through TMobile yesterday and holyfreakingcrap I am in love. I never knew how awesome a smartphone could be until now. I would suggest checking it out. Having Google Now is just so neat.