| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Which Batman movie was better?
Batman Returns 61%  61%  [ 19 ]
The Dark Knight Rises 39%  39%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 31
 Post subject: Re: Which Batman movie was better?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:21 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

mrsbadmouth wrote:
See, when I told Brian to make a PPK poll and he resisted I told him, "Think of what mumbles is going to say." Thanks for not letting me down!

And thanks to you MBM for helping to make it possible!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Shy Mox wrote:
Vantine wrote:
People have been complaining about dark and broody comics since the 80's. People also hate any changes made to any superhero that occurs after they start reading the book.

The Killing Joke is hardly light fun. George Perez completely rebooted Wonder Woman after Crisis. Things change when you are dealing with corporate owned characters.

Also, ever since As Good As It Gets I've wanted to punch Jack Nicholson in the face.

I don't mind changes, I actually really looked forward to the New 52. Yes, changes are made, but some things are staples. They got more serious, but they kept some of the camp that makes it really enjoyable. Wonder Woman was more serious after Crisis, but she was still fighting Nazis with a gorilla army and her mother had flaws, but not a baby killer. I feel its getting way more misogynistic lately, which is saying something, probably as backlash of the increasing feminist critique.

What I try to remember is how Marvel defined their company before Disney bought it. (I read an annual report.) Basically, they were a repository for licensed characters that they tried to churn into something profitable.

Did you read the critiques of the new 52 comics? Catwoman and Starfire in particular was mentioned as being particularly awful.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:49 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Vantine wrote:
Shy Mox wrote:
Vantine wrote:
People have been complaining about dark and broody comics since the 80's. People also hate any changes made to any superhero that occurs after they start reading the book.

The Killing Joke is hardly light fun. George Perez completely rebooted Wonder Woman after Crisis. Things change when you are dealing with corporate owned characters.

Also, ever since As Good As It Gets I've wanted to punch Jack Nicholson in the face.

I don't mind changes, I actually really looked forward to the New 52. Yes, changes are made, but some things are staples. They got more serious, but they kept some of the camp that makes it really enjoyable. Wonder Woman was more serious after Crisis, but she was still fighting Nazis with a gorilla army and her mother had flaws, but not a baby killer. I feel its getting way more misogynistic lately, which is saying something, probably as backlash of the increasing feminist critique.

What I try to remember is how Marvel defined their company before Disney bought it. (I read an annual report.) Basically, they were a repository for licensed characters that they tried to churn into something profitable.

Did you read the critiques of the new 52 comics? Catwoman and Starfire in particular was mentioned as being particularly awful.

Yeah, DCwomenkickingass is probably my favourite blog, I recently decided to just stop buying DC Comics because it really feels like its getting worse, and there's a lot of good women friendly comics coming out of Vertigo, Image and IDW, so why not just buy them instead? Its pretty bad that a recent reboot of a Liefeld creation (Glory) was far more feminist than Wonder Woman is right now.

I used to never read Marvel and I just assumed there aren't better because they have so few women titles, but I wonder if they're trying to get out of that. They're coming out with romance novels about She Hulk and Rogue to try and entice women readers, and I've gotten into Red She Hulk recently.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Shy Mox wrote:

Yeah, DCwomenkickingass is probably my favourite blog, I recently decided to just stop buying DC Comics because it really feels like its getting worse, and there's a lot of good women friendly comics coming out of Vertigo, Image and IDW, so why not just buy them instead? Its pretty bad that a recent reboot of a Liefeld creation (Glory) was far more feminist than Wonder Woman is right now.

I used to never read Marvel and I just assumed there aren't better because they have so few women titles, but I wonder if they're trying to get out of that. They're coming out with romance novels about She Hulk and Rogue to try and entice women readers, and I've gotten into Red She Hulk recently.

What they did to Starfire is really horrible.
I bought Frank Thorne's Red Sonja, some of Warren Ellis' stuff, and whatever Paul Pope has done for Marvel. Other than that, I only read what I got for free. The mutant-angst of the 90's was just beyond what I could tolerate.
Have you ever read the groovy mod Wonder Woman comics? (She ditched her costume for awhile. I love them. I also love, love romance comics. I never have read a lot of superhero comics.)
I feel as if all attempts to get women to read comics generally fall flat on their face.

But I do think that the recent video games get Batman better than any of the movies I've seen. Why couldn't I vote for that?

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3