| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1323, 1324, 1325, 1326, 1327, 1328, 1329 ... 1769  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:05 pm 
Impressive boner

It was meant only to act as an illustration of Gulliver's previous post. Apologies for any offense unintentionally caused.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:11 pm 
***LIES!!!***

What does spazz mean in the UK? I know the other two.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:18 pm 
WRETCHED

Yeah, I understood you were doing an illustration, like before, bugger still doesn't make sense to me as a swear word but I take your guys word for it :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:18 pm 
Mediocre Tart

linanil wrote:
I think spazz is offensive enough here that it wouldn't be used as a word, unless you didn't care about being offensive.

Except that spazz does not appear to come across as offensive to Americans? I know it's been used before by Americans here with no issue and I know it gets edited out of American tv shows when they are shown here (Buffy, for instance) and I know that Fezza and I at least have posted about issues with its usage...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:25 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

Yeah, can someone explain spazz? I've never heard it used as an expletive or something offensive. I believe that it's true, I'm not questioning that, I'm just asking for some clarification, because without understanding, I can almost guarantee that I will use it unthinkingly because it doesn't register in my mind that it's anything other than just a generic word.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:33 pm 
WRETCHED

I've heard people use spazz in the same way they use rhubarbed and even mimic someone rhubarbed doing it. I don't know if I've heard it in ages though, maybe I do and don't realize it?

Unrelated, my husband introduced me to something called the 'harlem shake' which is apparently a dance craze that started due to making fun of someone who was crippled. I was horrified when I looked it up, but he didn't know any of that when he told me.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:43 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Huh, that's weird. I've only heard "spazz" used to mean that someone is a dork or a klutz.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:43 pm 

linanil wrote:
I've heard people use spazz in the same way they use rhubarbed and even mimic someone rhubarbed doing it. I don't know if I've heard it in ages though, maybe I do and don't realize it?

Aaahhh, that makes sense. I can see how that could be the origin of the word, but it didn't occur to me. Thanks!

Quote:

Unrelated, my husband introduced me to something called the 'harlem shake' which is apparently a dance craze that started due to making fun of someone who was crippled. I was horrified when I looked it up, but he didn't know any of that when he told me.

I hated the Harlem shake already, but jeez, can the world stop being horrible dicks for just like five minutes?! Cripes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:46 pm 
Mediocre Tart

DarthCupcake wrote:
Yeah, can someone explain spazz? I've never heard it used as an expletive or something offensive. I believe that it's true, I'm not questioning that, I'm just asking for some clarification, because without understanding, I can almost guarantee that I will use it unthinkingly because it doesn't register in my mind that it's anything other than just a generic word.

I understand that in the US it's used to describe clumsy behaviour or somesuch ("OMG, I was such a spaz!! I spilled my drink down my front and fell arse over tit down the stairs!!" Or whatever), but here it's pretty pejorative... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spastic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:46 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

'spaz' comes from 'spastic'. calling someone spastic is not nice.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:51 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Wait what's the source for the Harlem shake thing? Not that I don't believe it, but I feel like every big Internet thing gets some offensive origin tie in later for the sole purpose of killing it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:53 pm 
Mediocre Tart

it's far nicer to call someone a croissant, in all honesty.

(mind you, croissant can be a term of affection here, so that's probably not the best example...)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:57 pm 
WRETCHED

Fee wrote:
Wait what's the source for the Harlem shake thing? Not that I don't believe it, but I feel like every big Internet thing gets some offensive origin tie in later for the sole purpose of killing it.

It is possible its not true but when I went googling for it, I found a few references to that.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:44 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I swear I'm going to stop being so frivolous with money this month. So far, off to a really bad start.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:52 pm 

interrobang?! wrote:
DarthCupcake wrote:

I understand that in the US it's used to describe clumsy behaviour or somesuch ("OMG, I was such a spaz!! I spilled my drink down my front and fell arse over tit down the stairs!!" Or whatever), but here it's pretty pejorative... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spastic

Very informative! Thanks!

I've used "spazz" often to describe myself when I'm having a day where I just keep doing clumsy or silly things or whatever, so I'm used to the non-offensive version, but now that it's brought up, it totally makes sense where it comes from. Bummer.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:14 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Both my computers are now beyond my ability to fix them. 8 your old imac is freaking out. It might be partially solved with a new psu, but I'm not finding energy to do another complete tear down. Ugh.

I need to print crepe for work and can't. We can't install on work laptops, so my printers won't work.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:01 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I took a walk today and say a 55 gallon drum next to the local high school. It was black with a blue label that identified it as 100% tahini, but it was just sitting under an air conditioner. Anyways, moral of the story is that I want to hang out with who ever first acquired that drum.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:47 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Veggie photographer paid an unexpected visit on Thursday night because I was poorly, he came from his parents bearing a gift of their home made soup (his mum is veggie and the soup is vegan, whoo!). We snaffled it with tiger bread slathered in pure, frigging awesomepants boyfriend! (his parents are lovely to me too!)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:12 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I love the word spastic. I know it has a very different connotation in Scotland, etc. But I always think of it in relation to colon. A spastic colon. And the pejorative use of the word is not the original meaning. It is to my knowledge a medical type term that is used to describe muscular conditions. I use it as a descriptor of an action. Spastic dancing, in which one was jumping about and waving around wildly. And to me that would be a compliment.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:20 pm 
Mediocre Tart

eta: (interestingly, this was banned by the BBC when it first came out... and used in the opening ceremony to the Paralympic games last year)

Last edited by interrobang?! on Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:27 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Ive been watching Dateline for four hours and I'm now obsessed with Keith Morrison.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:36 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Context makes a big difference here. That song is funny because the artist is a person with disabilities talking about his own experience. That doesn't make it funny or acceptable for nondisabled people to appropriate the language being reclaimed by people with disabilities.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:57 pm 
Mediocre Tart

choirqueer wrote:
Context makes a big difference here. That song is funny because the artist is a person with disabilities talking about his own experience. That doesn't make it funny or acceptable for nondisabled people to appropriate the language being reclaimed by people with disabilities.

Oh, I agree. I just find it interesting that it was banned by the BBC here back in the day. My uncle Joe had severe cerebral palsy. He couldn't move from the neck down, pretty much. He could barely communicate with anyone but my dad and grandparents. He died in his 40s and it broke my wee heart as he was the best uncle I ever had. The larks we had zooming around the streets of Edinburgh on his electric wheelchair...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:48 pm 
ugh

pandacookie wrote:
I love the word spastic. I know it has a very different connotation in Scotland, etc. But I always think of it in relation to colon. A spastic colon. And the pejorative use of the word is not the original meaning. It is to my knowledge a medical type term that is used to describe muscular conditions. I use it as a descriptor of an action. Spastic dancing, in which one was jumping about and waving around wildly. And to me that would be a compliment.

The pejorative use of the word "rhubarbed" isn't the original meaning, either.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:54 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I am aware of that too. And I will continue to use words that I enjoy that aren't used in a pejorative way.

Panda With Cookie

Reply to topic  [ 44225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1323, 1324, 1325, 1326, 1327, 1328, 1329 ... 1769  Next