| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: What do you do?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:03 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm a leadership consultant to big companies. I used to be the man (ran an office of a big management consulting firm) but I still work for the man. I work for my toddler, too, he's the real boss of the house. Also, I'm a board member of the local SPCA, and the local symphony orchestra. Yes, I'm twice as old as most of you youngun's.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:46 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Every time I see this thread, I think, "Who is your daddy and what does he do?" But that's probably too creepy for a spin-off thread.

I am edging closer to being funemployed!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:38 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I work in a public liberry.

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Every time I see this thread, I think, "Who is your daddy and what does he do?"

Our mom says our dad is a real sex machine.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:57 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

elouise wrote:
I work in a public liberry.

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Every time I see this thread, I think, "Who is your daddy and what does he do?"

Our mom says our dad is a real sex machine.

You beat me to it!!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:16 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I am the sole employee of an entertainment attorney. I harass scumbag record companies, license songs for film and TV, draft artists' agreements, review royalty statements etc. And I'm the office manager (ha by default) and bookkeeper too. I definitely work for The Man, but in this case it's a kickass 82yr old man who loves music, theater and art.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:36 pm 
Chard Martyr

Audrey wrote:
I am the sole employee of an entertainment attorney. I harass scumbag record companies, license songs for film and TV, draft artists' agreements, review royalty statements etc. And I'm the office manager (ha by default) and bookkeeper too. I definitely work for The Man, but in this case it's a kickass 82yr old man who loves music, theater and art.

That sounds like a pretty cool job!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:30 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

vijita wrote:
Audrey wrote:

That sounds like a pretty cool job!

I agree!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:45 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I support 4 ladies with developmental disabilities in a group home. Pretty soon I'm also going to help part time at a vegan restaurant on a voluntary basis.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:27 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I'm a tech at a long-term care pharmacy (basically: glorified data entry with the added fun of deciphering doctors' handwriting). I am planning on enrolling in an online MLIS program this summer/fall so I can become a librarian.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:09 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Mostly i just go to school. I'm an art history major. I do a lot of other things, though. Like, you know, eating and stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:40 am 
Tofu Pup

I am funemployed at the moment, but I work for my county's Board of Elections as a temp (so I get to be funemployed between election cycles). I forking love it, even though everyone, temp and perm, is overworked and underpaid. And the voters...oh, the voters. They're interesting, I'll give them that.

I've been there since August of 2010, and while I would like a full-time job, I'd really miss it. I can't explain why I love it so much, I just do, despite the fact that I know I will never actually be hired for a permanent position (no degree and no connections to make up for the degree-lacking).

"Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat."" - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:34 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I am no longer a kept woman! I now make sure planes don't fall out of the sky. You're welcome!

Basically, I do configuration management (roughly, making sure things are designed and planned coherently, making sure that everyone impacted by the plan knows about it and takes it into account, and making sure the plan is put into application as agreed) for the mechanical systems part (mostly piping: hydraulic controls, fuel, AC, water and waste, bleed air... ) for one of the newest designs of a large European aircraft manufacturer. Maiden flight planned... this year hopefully.

It's been interesting to go from a very small employer (<10 people) to a very large one (>50,000 people). Both are interesting in different ways. For those who don't know, my background is in Mech E and project management.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:02 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

aelle, you rule.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:07 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I agree, this has been super interesting!

I work at an economic justice non-profit, mostly doing research and policy work, but we're a small office so everyone does a little bit of everything. It's a great job!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:09 am 
Grandfathered In

(Nonfiction) book editor and (when we can't afford to pay someone) author.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:29 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I do research to develop methods to determine (1) if equipment (like pumps, motors, computers and electronics, or electronic transformers) has a fault, (2) what caused the fault, (3) how much longer can the equipment run before the fault is a failure, and (4) what can we do to extend that time (like run at a lower speed). I love it, but I've never figured out how to explain it in a way that sounds interesting to anyone else ..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:56 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

radioactivegan wrote:
I do research to develop methods to determine (1) if equipment (like pumps, motors, computers and electronics, or electronic transformers) has a fault, (2) what caused the fault, (3) how much longer can the equipment run before the fault is a failure, and (4) what can we do to extend that time (like run at a lower speed). I love it, but I've never figured out how to explain it in a way that sounds interesting to anyone else ..

Sound like the kind of person my husband and brothers in law would love talking to, so don't be a downer. And you enjoy it, so who cares what other people say! BAH!

Anyway though, does that make you an engineer of some sort or?? Do you have an official title?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:07 pm 
Chard Martyr

I'm considering a career change (mainly for money, but also because it's more complementary to my skills) and have a phone interview on Tuesday about a potential job. Nervous! But shiitake, my generation sucks! When I was a kid I always thought you go to astronaut school and then fly in space for the rest of your life. Now you go to school (for years, in my case) with aspirations, only to find yourself reinventing the wheel constantly and trying to tell yourself you haven't failed, you are just transferring those skills.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:14 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm a pilot in the military, but mostly I do paperwork. Sometimes make Power Point presentations. I also go to meetings. It's very glamorous.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:30 pm 
Married to the wolfman

vijita wrote:
Now you go to school (for years, in my case) with aspirations, only to find yourself reinventing the wheel constantly and trying to tell yourself you haven't failed, you are just transferring those skills.

Do I hear you on that.

I forget what I was last time I posted in this thread but I'm a grad student in software engineering right now. My current specialization is in computer networks... it's been my area of interest since I was an undergrad a million years ago. But? Maybe I've just been academically focused on networks for too long or maybe I'm just over it, because I'm just... not feeling the magic any more.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:23 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I'm an attorney at a tiny nonprofit co-op law firm doing divorces and other family stuff. I am occasionally intrinsically satisfied by it, but having no support staff, benefits, and an unstable paycheck are very draining, as are many of my clients. I'm trying to move more into representing children's interests but we will see...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:28 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

you know, i've just become a partner in a consultancy ("Education Director") but i think i was significantly happier just working as an anonymous, sleep-deprived autonomaton translator. Now i'm just an antisocial translator dressed up in fancier clothes, drinking more caffeine, stomping around in clickety clacking heels and and pretending to be a sociable Go Getter and Corporate Dragon Lady when I'd really much rather be translating technical reports of electric motors and their faults (hi radioactive vegan! your work is my favorite kind of job).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:20 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm a critical care nurse in a busy community hospital Intensive Care Unit; I take care of people on life-support (ventilators, powerful IV vasopressors and inotropic drugs, and other very intense means of intervention), and I respond to cardiac/respiratory arrest emergencies throughout the hospital.

It's awesome. I get to work with the biggest brains in the medical field and the smartest and most passionate nurses, I get to be meticulous and thorough (satisfies my type-A personality), and I get to fuss over the sickest of the sick. Patients and families are always grateful, no matter the outcome, which is nice. Most days, I get my adrenaline rush. Other days, I'm wrist-deep in poop. It's really hard work, and it's emotionally and physicall exhausting, and I hate working nights and Christmas, and I hate working 13 hours without a break, but I love love LOVE my job and I'm so glad that George Clooney made me wanna be a nurse.

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:24 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Moon wrote:
radioactivegan wrote:

Sound like the kind of person my husband and brothers in law would love talking to, so don't be a downer. And you enjoy it, so who cares what other people say! BAH!

Anyway though, does that make you an engineer of some sort or?? Do you have an official title?

Moon - thanks for the encouragement! I'm a nuclear engineer with a little bit of reliability engineering thrown in for good measure (I think my title is technically Scientist II, but I'm not really sure what that means outside of my lab). Most of my research lately is focused on applications in nuclear power plants.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:02 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

I'm an interpretive park ranger.

This time of year I'm answering questions @ the Visitor Center and doing programs in schools.

Over the summer I lead hikes and educational programs and do campfire programs, as well as answer questions in visitor centers. Sometimes I even get to just hike and see if anyone has questions.

This year is possibly going to have a lot less fun stuff though, funding stuffs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next