| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 95  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:02 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

hugs tofulish. you are not the worst parent ever <3 i pretty much have to hug/hold zaffy every single time i brush her teeth and she screams like a mortal kombat fatality o_O babies don't like it, but having dental surgery when you're a baby is worse by far i'm sure.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:09 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Oh, poor Layla! Yes, I agree with md. Better to brush.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:34 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I had to hold Silas to brush his teeth every single morning and night for over 2 years AND he still needed dental surgery. Pissed me off so badly that I looked like a mom who didn't brush, after going through torture to do so every single time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:35 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks! She just vomited again, and bc she had a fall earlier today and now has had 2 bouts of vomiting with no fever, I am worried. Our ped said that most likely its the stomach flu that every one has, but that if she has persistent vomiting, go to the ER. And ideas on how to know if its the bug or a concussion? She has no instability, no blown pupils, tracks fine or other signs of a concussion that I know of....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:58 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Yow, baby with stomach flu!! *hugs*

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:34 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Hoping it's the stomach bug! I always have to restrain Malka to brush her teeth, she just chews on the brush if left to her own devices. I don't have any confidence in the quality of my brushing work, though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:54 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Just to agree with what's already been said, I think the tooth-thing is totally genetic. My dad would brush his teeth about 5x longer than I would with a special brush and he would also brush them in the morning and it seemed like every time we went to the dentist, he had a cavity. I didn't even go to the dentist for 3 years once (couldn't find a reasonably priced one and couldn't be bothered) and didn't even brush my teeth some nights in college (and rarely do in the mornings) and I never have cavities. I have one tiny filling that came about a few months after someone gave me the motherload of Hubba Bubba gum in 7th grade that I chewed constantly for months -- I always chew gum on one side of my mouth for some reason and that's the side with the cavity and ever since then I have avoided sugary chewing gum (and now hard candy and similar sweets) like the plague.

I also only brush my kids' teeth once a day (before bed) and never after a bedtime nursing session and my kids' teeth are fine.

So if you guys are brushing like maniacs and still have kids with cavities, don't beat yourself up over it because it's almost undoubtedly genetics. ...Unless you are letting your kids chew sugary gum. ;p

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:51 am 
Semen Strong

Thank you for the kind thoughts. She threw up 5 times during the night, but this morning seems like her normal happy self.

I have no idea what that means. If she had a stomach flu wouldn't she still be puking and have a fever? Does that mean it was a concussion but I now no longer need to worry about it? Obvs I will continue to monitor her, and see how this goes, but I'm confused.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:13 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Poor Leela. I hope it's all behind her now.

I've definetly seen vomiting without fever or any chance of concussion plenty of times, so I'd assume its some kind of bug.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:56 am 
Semen Strong

Thank you! I am so perplexed! The stomach bug that everyone seems to have seems to be lasting a long time, has associated diarrhea and fever, but its good to know that. I'm so happy and relieved that she isn't throwing up any longer.

I read that concussions are temporary, so maybe it does make sense that she would vomit and then heal up and it would be over? But then I worry that maybe I am missing something. I did the head injury checklist last night - her pupils dilated when checked with a flashlight, both the same size, no lethargy, no instability, no irritability, no swelling by her fontanelle, and she is back to her sweet, happy self. We're hanging out home and relaxing and hopefully we are out of the woods.

I find sick babies super-confusing!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:19 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Oi, I'm glad she's a bit better! Fwiw, I wouldn't use the lack of fever as a clue necessarily. People are just different.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:32 am 
***LIES!!!***

I never have fevers with stomach bugs and Malka hasn't had any fevers, even when really sick. Doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Could it have been something she ate?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:39 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've only seen concussions in older kids and it's been super obvious that something was really wrong. They just don't act like themselves. I've seen so many kids really slam their heads (competitive soccer, ugh) and be totally fine.

Did Leela have an abnormally hard fall?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:00 am 
We So Excited

Hugs to you and Leela, Tofulish! I would think a concussion would have the other symptoms. It might be different with babies, but I've had stomach bugs without fever, just vomiting.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:48 am 
Semen Strong

Thanks! Friday, I really hope you didn't get her tummy bug! I'm fine and I guess that is what was throwing me - I would have expected that if she caught a bug, I would too. We had such a lovely day yesterday, and thank you so much for coming over! I hope you're doing okay and don't catch whatever she had!

And the fall was so dumb. I was putting her over the babygate, lost my footing, crashed into the babygate and knocked it off its anchor, so it then collapsed under me and onto her. Luckily, I was able to catch myself so she just got the weight of a light wood gate on the back of her head (while her forehead hit the hardwood floor), instead of getting my weight on top of her. I didn't think it was a big deal until she started vomiting, and even that was just one episode, so I thought it was because of the super-fun and overwhelming day capped off by some tooth brushing. But then she threw up again, and again and again, so I got a bit freaked out.

She does seem completely fine now! Not even a bit tired from a long night of vomiting. Toddlers are so resilient.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:59 am 
We So Excited

No, I've been fine. That fall sounds scary--glad she's doing better.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:59 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I wonder if it was some kind of food poisoning. Beetroot gets barfy a couple times a year for no apparent reason (so I assume food poisoning of some sort -- I am a bit sensitive to that myself, but usually, I just get the shiitakes).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:10 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Yep, Violet had something like that once, where she threw up a whole lot from right after dinner time until early morning (it was sad, she'd be sleeping and then wake up to puke!) - the only thing we hadn't both eaten was this coconut water I got her at Starbucks that she guzzled down, so I assume it was probably that. She was fine the next day!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:16 pm 
Semen Strong

Leela throws up so differently from the way an adult pukes! I guess all babies do it this way? Spoilered for grossness

Spoiler: show
She didn't seem sick at all, but then opened her mouth and vomit just poured out of her nose and mouth like a fountain, while her eyes were open wide and she was trying to scream. It looked like something out of the Exorcist. But then when she is done, she seems fine again and goes about her business until it hits again. At night she would just open her mouth vomit on everything, roll over and go back to sleep. When I throw up, I feel really queasy before and there is way more effort devoted to throwing up, and I feel gross after.

So much to learn...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:36 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i think there's a lot of variation in puking, from kid to kid and from vomit to vomit (cause, food in belly, other conditions, acidity, phase of moon). FC almost never vomited, even as an infant (seriously, maybe 5 times before her 5th birthday), but her sister had GI problems, and not only did we work with the GI experts, we became GI experts. There were times when Sweetie Pie just opened her mouth and everything sort of gently oozed out, and other times when she could hit a target at 5 meters. There were times when it was accompanied by pain, and times when she didn't even seem to notice she had vomited at all. [vomiting and then smiling is quite disturbing.] we had doctors tell us in several situations that X, Y or Z were impossible, only to have SP do the behavior IN the doctor's office and I think all we really know for sure is that the learning is pretty much endless.......

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:16 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Tofulish wrote:
Leela throws up so differently from the way an adult pukes! I guess all babies do it this way? Spoilered for grossness

Spoiler: show
She didn't seem sick at all, but then opened her mouth and vomit just poured out of her nose and mouth like a fountain, while her eyes were open wide and she was trying to scream. It looked like something out of the Exorcist. But then when she is done, she seems fine again and goes about her business until it hits again. At night she would just open her mouth vomit on everything, roll over and go back to sleep. When I throw up, I feel really queasy before and there is way more effort devoted to throwing up, and I feel gross after.

So much to learn...

Not that this is in any way helpful, but I have seen grownups throw up this way before too! *shudder*

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:25 am 
WRETCHED

If normal cleaning methods don't work, I'd try an enzyme cleaner like anti-icky poo.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:30 am 
Married to the wolfman

I find the sharing of disease between family members so curious. Both the kids have had some horrible colds in the past year that only one of them (and neither parent) got. I'm not generally susceptible to food poisoning, but a few months ago I got it-- E had eaten literally the same foods, and he's a kid so you'd think he'd be more at risk, but he didn't get it. It's very odd.

The scenario where the baby gets food poisoning and you don't is more likely though, because she's smaller and thus wouldn't need to eat as much of a contaminated food as you would to get sick from it.

Anyway, I hope L is feeling better (and that you don't have to deal with much more puke in the near future).

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:32 am 
***LIES!!!***

An update on family craziness: I wrote my mother a long asparagus email detailing my feelings and some expectations from her, had my sister and husband edit it, and finally sent it last night. We is on the west coast for another month and then coming back here for Passover. Email seemed like the most likely way I could say my piece in full, but now I am anxiously awaiting a response.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:42 am 
Semen Strong

coldandsleepy wrote:
I find the sharing of disease between family members so curious. Both the kids have had some horrible colds in the past year that only one of them (and neither parent) got. I'm not generally susceptible to food poisoning, but a few months ago I got it-- E had eaten literally the same foods, and he's a kid so you'd think he'd be more at risk, but he didn't get it. It's very odd.

The scenario where the baby gets food poisoning and you don't is more likely though, because she's smaller and thus wouldn't need to eat as much of a contaminated food as you would to get sick from it.

Anyway, I hope L is feeling better (and that you don't have to deal with much more puke in the near future).

From your mouth to God's ear! I am hoping this morning's poopfest was the final salvo of this thing making its way out. I have discovered that I mind vomit so much less than diarrhea. I learned a ton from the "Should I eat this" thread - I had no idea that old rice could pose health risks. Its about the only thing that L ate which was even a little old, so lesson learned there.

Good luck Ariann! What does your mother normally do with stuff she doesn't like? My mother would have just disregarded the email, not replied to me, gossiped about it to everyone in the family and then acted like she had never read it and denied ever receiving it. Fun times. I hope that doesn't happen to you, and that you get the response you want.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 95  Next