| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: potential mousse fail
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:13 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i wanted to make the raspberrry mousse cupcakes from Chloe's Desserts and im pretty sure i already screwed it up. you have to make the chocolate mousse ahead of time and chill it for 8 hours.

its non dairy milk, chocolate chips, espresso powder (optional), coconut milk solids, and powdered sugar.

im 99% sure i screwed up the coconut milk part.

she says to chill the bowl you are using and whisker for 10 mins ahead of time and then the coconut milk in the recipe just says "chilled" it doesnt say for how long or how much actual coconut milk solids you need.

she very specifically says to skim out the solids and DO NOT get any of the milk even if you have to leave some of the solids behind cause any of hte milk will kill your mousse.

i refrigerated the can of coconut milk for like 10-15 mins cause i had to actually go buy a can.

i skimmed the solids out and then i took some that in retrospect im thinking maybe wasnt "solid" i didnt get any of the milk but i got some mushy solids.

anywho it says to beat the solids with the powdered sugar until fluffy. that shiitake never got anywhere remotely near fluffy. it was just liquid.

is my mousse dead? i completeed the whole thing and its in the frig chilling but i dont think its gonna set up. i tried adding more powdered sugar in but it didnt help much and i didnt want to add too much cause i feel like at a certain point it just starts to taste like powdered sugar

Post subject: Re: potential mousse fail
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:35 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Hmmm! Not sure... But if it doesn't set, maybe you could freeze it?

Ice cream?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:43 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I've never made this particular recipe, so I'm not sure how to salvage it, but I would say for next time, try to chill your coconut milk overnight. That's what I've always done with recipes like this!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:30 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I find coconut milk so unreliable when it comes to firming up, not firming up, etc. I always buy the coconut "cream" (still liquid) with the highest fat content possible out of all available, and then chill overnight. Even then, there's generally some clear liquid at the bottom (which you don't use), and sometimes it doesn't firm up at all.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:39 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I've found it works most reliably when chilled for over 24 hrs. Which seems excessive. Then i put my whipping bowl over a bowl of ice.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:43 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Oh and i'd reckon it might still work, sort of. Maybe it'll be less moussey and more ganachey - ie just less airy. I don't have the book though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:34 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

from the sound of it i didnt have nearly enough coconut solids.
i just scooped a little off the top.
i got another hour before i check on it. it's supposed to be the frosting for the cupcakes so it will probably be more like a glaze!
i did taste it and it tasted good so thats good!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:36 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

See if it solidifies in the fridge and then whip it. I assume if you had melted chocolate in the mixture it would whip up very well until it was fully chilled. Next time use the mousse from the cupcake book. So easy, very few ingredients and perfect every time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:06 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

it definitely didnt set up properly. the first scoop when i took it out of the frig was ok then by the time i got to the 2nd scoop it had been out of the fridge long enough it was already melting.

i didnt feel like whipping it cause it was 9pm and i just wanted to eat it ;-)

i think next time i will chill the coconut milk overnight at the very least, maybe leave it in there for a few days. i also did not have the brand she recommended.

overall even though the mousse didnt set up the recipe was super yummy. the cupcakes came out super moist and yummy and the mousse tasted good too so ill probably make them again at some point