| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Women and Comics
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:44 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Vantine wrote:
pandacookie wrote:
And she still writes the graphic novels, just autobiography and not the same characters.

I love her stuff. I've got a few autobiographical graphic novels in the pile, I will dig them up.

I really liked Fun House but wasn't as fond of Are You My Mother. That ended up being a bit too much like a therapy session for me.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:40 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Shy Mox,
Have you heard about the women-only X-Men book that is shipping in April? It's written by Brian Wood who I really like. I might actually buy a Marvel Comic!

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2013/01/1 ... er-coipel/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:49 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

If we're talking webcomics, I really love Kate Beaton's Hark! A Vagrant.

I think my favourite lady artist would be Amy Reeder. I was sad she had such a short stint at Batwoman, and I think she did a good job with portraying Supergirl as a young teenager, instead of oversexualizing her. Last Halloween though she had a one shot at Image called Halloween Eve, which was really cute, and Vertigo came out with a one shot called Ghosts, where she illustrated a short comic called Wallflower, about a woman who leaves her family as she joins the women's rights movement in the second wave. It was written by Cecil Castellucci and the prose is good, but I think most of the story is very much dependent on Reeder's art.

Its really unfortunate DC has such a bad marketing job. Sword of Sorcery got cancelled pretty quickly and I can't say I'm surprised, it seems like a really girly story written by Christy Marx (creator of Jem), but to assure people its manly they had a Beowulf backup story taking up a lot of space, so if you're reading it just for Amethyst its a shiitake deal. So all that's left on the writing team is Ann Nocenti, who I have mixed feelings about as in Womanthology she talked about how to succeed you need to give men what they want, and Gail Simone. Who is awesome and tries her best but I have a feeling editorial really reins her in. I miss Rucka, he actually managed to sneak in a hint in the previous continuity that Wonder Woman is queer.

Vantine wrote:
Shy Mox,
Have you heard about the women-only X-Men book that is shipping in April? It's written by Brian Wood who I really like. I might actually buy a Marvel Comic!

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2013/01/1 ... er-coipel/

I have! I'll definitely be checking it out.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:00 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Gail Simone will be at Megacon in Orlando this year. I think she is so smart and hilarious.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:18 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

mrsbadmouth wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:

Sadly though, looking through the comics I have, not many are written by women. I don't collect that many, really just Buffy and it's spin offs, which have some women working on them and Adventure Time and it's spin offs, which also have a good mix.

Yeah, same here. Overall I find the 'nerd' subculture to be just as sexist as the rest of the world, so it doesn't surprise me that it's hard to find decent female characters.

I bet you would both really like the Batgirl reboot. It's written by Gail Simone and is very Buffy-esque, which is why I love it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:55 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

She Hulk.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:02 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I just got into comics. Currently I'm really into Saga and Demon Knights. As for the usual superhero stuff… I'm at the point where I'm concerned whether I like Wonder Woman and Batwoman, or just Rucka.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:43 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I usually follow the writer. If it's not awful I hang on so that I can keep up with the storyline but I'm not a collector so I will drop a book in a hot minute if the writing is awful.

Rucka has written some novels, by the way. You might want to check them out.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:46 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Vantine wrote:
I usually follow the writer. If it's not awful I hang on so that I can keep up with the storyline but I'm not a collector so I will drop a book in a hot minute if the writing is awful.

Rucka has written some novels, by the way. You might want to check them out.

Did I mention Rucka's Queen & Country back there, too? I'm going to again, since they're so good. There are some collections available. They're great spy stories with a sympathetic female protagonist. I reread the first couple of stories recently and was reminded of how good they are.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:20 pm 

Oh, sweet. My library has Queen & Country, so I'll be picking that up tomorrow. Almost forgot: Do I start with the graphic novels or the books?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:31 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

For Q&C, I'd read the graphic novels. I haven't read the text-type books at all, so I don't know if they're retellings or what, but he wrote them after the comics.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:22 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

TinLychee wrote:
I just got into comics. Currently I'm really into Saga and Demon Knights. As for the usual superhero stuff… I'm at the point where I'm concerned whether I like Wonder Woman and Batwoman, or just Rucka.

I read the first issue of Saga and I was super intrigued, but I had a feeling something terribly depressing was going to happen to the parents.

Also, Gail Simone writes a great Wonder Woman! The Circle is one of my favourites, and revisits WW's origin. Batwoman 1-7 was good to me, but the current arc is really meh and I think Williams really did not utilize Wonder Woman's cameo at all. I was really excited because, hey I ship it, but it wasn't a magical friendship story, it was just Wonder Woman getting weepy about how much better Batwoman is.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:49 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Shy Mox wrote:
I read the first issue of Saga and I was super intrigued, but I had a feeling something terribly depressing was going to happen to the parents.

I picked up the first collection, and yeah, it does, but it's more like depressing things happen around them and to other people they meet and know. It's really intriguing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:27 pm 

Shy Mox wrote:

Also, Gail Simone writes a great Wonder Woman! The Circle is one of my favourites, and revisits WW's origin. Batwoman 1-7 was good to me, but the current arc is really meh and I think Williams really did not utilize Wonder Woman's cameo at all. I was really excited because, hey I ship it, but it wasn't a magical friendship story, it was just Wonder Woman getting weepy about how much better Batwoman is.

I read the first volume of The Circle and was pretty lukewarm about it. I know the return of the Diana Prince alter ego wasn't Simone's fault, but it doesn't do anything for me. So far her relationship with Tom seems to be all about him (this could just be my handicap of being a newcomer and having no idea of who Nemesis is or why I should care). I know this is a petty personal preference, but I thought she talked about herself too much. In a visual medium like a graphic novel, I just find it a lot more appealing to learn about her from her actions and character interactions than from lots of narration boxes.

I did like the alternate look at Amazon culture/WW's origin and who doesn't love seeing her beat up Nazis?—plus everyone I've talked to adores this run—so I'll give it another chance.

I agree that Saga has the potential to turn out depressing, but I also agree that it feels like most of the bad things happen in the world around them.

Picked up Volume 1 of Q&C from the library. Damn this is thick, but looks awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:41 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

Just in case anyone is interested, the Living in Sequence exhibition at Poe Park in The Bronx is having a Women in Comics panel this weekend.

More information...here.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:26 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I picked up the first volume of Saga finally! Still feeling nervous for Alana and Marko, but I'll pick up the second volume next time I'm at the comic book store.

So the all female X-Men was the best selling comic in May! Two issues are out now and its pretty good. Like not only is it written well, but there's not much brokeback and other issues.

Red She-Hulk is getting cancelled, which is sad, and I don't think Captain Marvel is long for this world either. Journey Into Mystery is also being cancelled. Fearless Defenders is pretty good, although low on the Top 100. It has some bad art in it but overall I really enjoy it, I hope it ends up being like Marvel's Birds of Prey.

Also Greg Rucka has a new series called Lazarus, set in a dystopian future. Also very good!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:37 pm 
Nailed to the V

pandacookie wrote:
I really liked Fun House but wasn't as fond of Are You My Mother. That ended up being a bit too much like a therapy session for me.

Amen. I loooooved 'Fun Home,' and... ... Survived 'Are You My Mother?' So many therapy sessions and dreams. I wonder how differently the book would have been written if her mother were 1) deceased or 2) not reading and editing drafts. Though I did think it was funny that her mother said the book had "too many threads." It does!

Has anyone read Castle Waiting 2 by Linda Medley? I read the first book and liked it alright.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:42 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Vantine wrote:
A lot of stuff is published directly to graphic novels so I would say yes! Have you read Finder by Carla Speed McNeil?

Yessssss this is the series I was coming into this thread to talk about. I have never, ever been so completely blown away by an author/artist's imagination and talent. Well, okay, maybe I have, but the point is that Finder is EPIC. The complexity and thorough completeness of the world she has created is just overwhelming. I cannot recommend this book enough to everyone I meet.

And maybe I have a tiny crush on Jaeger.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:23 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I love the hell out of Finder. I think Finder is what got me back into comics back in the late 90's...

I keep thinking I should get that tattoo, or some variation...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:15 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Read some Finder webcomics!
http://www.lightspeedpress.com/?webcomic_post=001

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:43 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Vantine wrote:

I.... THANK YOU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

oh how have I missed this thread!

people I really like, who haven't been mentioned: Faith Erin Hicks, Lucy Knisely, Nicole J Georges, Lynda Barry, (100 demons), Erica Moen, and if we go slightly off topic in to animation: Natasha Allegri, who is responsible for Bee and Puppycat, and was also responsible for the character design on the gender-swapped episode of adventure time!

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:11 am 
Nailed to the V

booberthefraggle wrote:
oh how have I missed this thread!

people I really like, who haven't been mentioned: Faith Erin Hicks, Lucy Knisely, Nicole J Georges, Lynda Barry, (100 demons), Erica Moen... ...

For those who haven't seen it yet, Erika Moen has a new-ish blog for reviewing sex toys in comic form. Sounds promising, eh?

http://www.ohjoysextoy.com/

Obviously, this is NSFW, unless you're in the sex toy biz.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:25 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Vertigo just released a one shot horror anthology called The Witch's Hour, most of the stories are women-centric, but I think the best one was The Witch's Work by Annie Mok and Emily Carroll, which stars a transwoman dealing with memories of abuse (comes with a trigger warning but its really not graphic or anything).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:47 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

It's nice to see a more positive effort made in comics to highlight that yes there are women in comics, and yes, quite a few of them are great.

Saw some people mentioning Saga, Fiona Staples are is GORGEOUS. I love how she hand letters Hazel's dialogue into the art. Makes it look beautiful. Plus it's so nice to have Vaughn writing a long-form sci-fi series again. Y:The Last Man was an exceptional comic. I met Pia Guerra last year and she was lovely.

I'm quite looking forward to Pretty Deadly by Kelly Sue Deconnick, Emma Rios and Jordie Bellaire. Looks like a lot fun, and all three are insanely talented people.