| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 691 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sweet dreams (advice/questions about kid sleep)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:28 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We didn't have a routine with grey for a long time. I kind of wish we had started earlier, we really started around a year. When he was about nine months he would never go to sleep and it was awful. Once we started he is so much easier to get to bed. I think it depends a lot on the kid though. Grey is easy to get down for naps and bed most of the time. In fact, when it gets to be bed time, even if he is playing and having fun, I just ask if he wants to go to bed and he will climb up the stairs, go to the bathroom to brush his teeth and then cooperate when I change his diaper and pajamas, we read, sing and then he takes a bottle and goes to sleep. It's great. I think before we were letting him get too tired and over stimulated and he didn't have any cues to go to bed. I also think that now that he can mostly understand what we are saying it is so much easier.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:02 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

DEG wrote:
I will say, 8 may be a little late for such an itty bitty. If bedtime is that hard, try starting earlier.

oh, I should clarify, I'm working solidly from [around] 8 till midnight on getting her to sleep, but have been trying to get her down since somewhere around 5. She will often go all afternoon without sleeping.

We had our first home visit from Plunket on Thursday and they recommended trying to get her to self-settle more during the day as that might help her to stay asleep better in the evening, as I can often get her to sleep but she will wake soon after putting her in her bed. I think that sounds much easier said than done, and I won't leave such a tiny baby to cry so we might just keep going to bed at midnight : )

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:23 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

My kids were never good self soothers when they were babies, so I'm not sure how others did it. I do know for my daughter, swaddling was invaluable. I still had to rock her to sleep, but if she was swaddled, I could put her down and she'd stay down. My son was the worst about napping. He would nap really well if I held him, but would not nap in a crib or even a swing. But, he would sleep in his crib at night. Babies are weird sometimes. I also never got the don't nurse all the way to sleep thing. My son just would fall asleep nursing. There was nothing I could do about it.

What is your current routine? How do you get her to sleep now? That might give some clues of things you can try.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:45 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

posted in teh totally wrong thread sorry

Last edited by LisaPunk on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:59 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

nevermind sorry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:21 pm 
Semen Strong

I almost don't want to post here for fear of jinxing myself but L is now having one solid 2-3 hour nap in the afternoon and it is bliss.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:43 pm 
***LIES!!!***

That's great!!!

I think Malka is finally getting used to her bed - between the exhaustion of travel, the jet lag, being tired because she's apparently teething, etc., she has not been so hard to put down the past few nights in the 8:30-9:30pm range. We totally ditched the "routine" (p.s. we've been doing our routine since she was like 2 months, so I think for some kids it really just doesn't help) and just put her down when she seems tired and let her play and be crazy until then. We moved pieces of the routine to different parts of the day - toothbrushing happens in the early evening, for example (and I am now holding her still to brush her teeth, so that makes her pretty worked up), and bathing nowhere near bedtime. Last night it took me about 20 minutes of laying down with her in the dark and being silent for her to go to sleep. No crying! She woke up around 2:30am (I was still awake - am still jetlagged and just a mess sleepwise) and I went down to lie with her and finally fell asleep myself, and then didn't wake up again until near 9am. So pretty good!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:08 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

woo for reliable naps Tofu! and Ariann, I too believe that not all kids need a wind-down routine at bedtime. I so hope you continue to have luck with bedtime at a decent hour!

so for about 5 days, I've stopped taking S into our bed at her initial wake-up (anytime between 11pm-1am, after going to bed in her crib at 9pm). I just really want a few hours of sleeping without her! I let her cry for a few minutes when she wakes up, but it usually escalates so I go, get her out of the crib and sit on a really uncomfortable bench near her crib and nurse her for a few minutes. The first few times she was a little disturbed because I've never done that before, but now she seems to get it - I nurse for like 5 minutes til she seems satisfied, lay her back down (on her tummy, that's her new thing), pat her back a couple times and it seems to work! Not much crying, and mostly of a very tired half-hearted nature. Also, we are using a white noise Iphone app and hopefully that is helping with the various cat noises etc. Once she wakes again around 3 or 4am, I just grab her and lay her down in our bed and we all seem to go back to sleep pretty easily. Whew!

I'm ok with this although it doesn't solve the problem of what H can do if I'm out somewhere for the first wake-up. And he recently confessed that he really likes sleeping with her and would be willing to do it for another year! Of course, he's not the one who has to nurse her, sleep in uncomfortable positions and worry about her falling off the bed because he sleeps through all of it, but I thought it was sweet.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:55 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

DEG wrote:
What is your current routine? How do you get her to sleep now? That might give some clues of things you can try.

we don't have a routine as such, but when she is tired I swaddle her, feed her if she needs it, and rock/shh her till she calms down [if upset] or falls asleep [if calm].

I tried doing the self-settle thing and was amazed that she would actually fall asleep [and stay asleep!] herself when put down awake, sometimes the first time I put her down [but not often]. So day time naps [which weren't a real problem] are easier, but we are still often not going down for the night till ~midnight.

I just had our second visit from Plunket this morning and was recommended to do an evening bath/feed/bed routine and see if it helps, so I'll give that a go.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:01 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

The whole bath, bottle, bed is our routine too and it really seems to work - he knows what to expect and goes along without too much of a fuss usually!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:06 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Okay, I'm totally going to jinx this, but it's been three nights in a row, with Freya in her own bed, ****sleeping*** the whole night through. Even two nights ago when she was all snuffly from a cold, she just rolled over and sighed/moaned and would go back to sleep. It is absofuckinglutely incredible! So, tonight is the fourth night and we shall see. I'm really a bit scared to post this because then I have in mind that she's going to start waking up 7x's/night again. Whew. I hope too, that it's not that she's just tired from the cold.

This morning, I walked in just before 6 and she didn't say a word, just excitedly signed "boobies" over and over. Heh.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:06 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

whoa my god long-sufferin' mama, yaaaaaaay! (NO JINXIES!!)
we had a fantastic night a few days ago where S stayed in her crib from 9pm-5am with one short 5minute nursing session next to the crib. I was in heaven. But the rest of the weekend wasn't so great and last night was terrible because her nose and mouth are just a constant run of liquid, and she'd sleep a few minutes and then start writhing around in pain!! A quick discussion with my mom just now informed me that the tooth which I see poking thru the gums is an eyetooth which is supposed to be very painful. Poor little pumpkin!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:36 pm 
And you never will.

After Sunday night's horrible vomit-fest, I totally forgot to post that the night before poopiebaby slept through the night for the second time ever! Like, TEN HOURS without asking to nurse! And then, last night (wait for iiiiiiiiiit.....) he did it AGAIN!!! We're now talking about maybe getting him his own bed!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:04 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Refinnej and poopie, those are amazing breakthroughs! I hope it lasts!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:34 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm having trouble getting Raygold to not sleep with me. He sleeps in the same room as Mr Crabby and Beetroot at first, but always wakes up in the middle of the night and either just makes his way to where I sleep (the living room -- I love Japanese futons, I can sleep wherever the fork I like!) or cries for me until Mr Crabby helps him get to the living room.

I don't mind sleeping with him (I actually like it because he's so cuddly and warm), except I need to get him sleeping without me before I have this baby because I heard it's unsafe to co-sleep with both a toddler and a newborn and I just think it would be easier all around if it was just me and the n00b.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:47 am 
Nooch of Earl

Yes, Refinnej and Poopie I'm so happy for you both, it sounds like you've had some of the toughest slogs.

Violet was sleeping pretty well until we went to Japan, and now, even though she's finally back to California time, she's waking up a *lot* and spending most of the night in bed with me again, AND waking up super early as well. The last bit could have something to do with days getting longer--do summers generally mean less sleep for babies? DO NOT WANT.

Anyway I'm hoping that giving it a little more time will get things back where they were before we left, but she's been getting bored very easily around the house and it just feels like...too much.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:27 pm 

pb, that is great! I've thought often of you and one of my friends who has a two year old with much the same disposition....happy as a clam during the day, but can't sleep worth beans. Knowing that y'all survived helped a little. So glad to hear that Peter may be turning a corner!

Freya woke once last night and I offered boob as she's still unwell. We both ending up sorta falling asleep cuddling after that, then woke up and cuddled a bit more before putting her back in bed. All in all a little over an hour in her room, so not bad. Not sure what to expect tonight. Her cold is loosening up some and she's coughing a bit more. Not too bad still, but enough that it annoys her, and every now and then (maybe like 3 times today), she'll get a hunk of phlegm (gross) and it really scares her. :(

Here's hoping that it lasts while she heals and we can build on this. Woot!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:39 am 

Aaaaand we're back. Time for a nap, alone, before k goes to work.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:36 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Raygold has slept with Beet in the green room without me for 2 days in a row without waking and coming in to my room in the middle of the night. This is a new record!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:36 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Yay for making room for new babies!

Last night I had to rock, shush, cuddle Malka to sleep. She became hysterical when I moved. She didn't even try to escape from bed, just sat up and held on to me for dear life, which she never, ever does except for maybe 10 seconds after a bad fall (and then wants to be put down again). It was really weird. We actually rocked in the glider together, which we haven't done in many, many moons.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:34 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I wasn't expecting to do this today, but we've taken the side off Walter's crib, so he's loose in his own room (with the door shut). This morning I went in to get him and he was sitting in the rocker (how did he get there?!) and then at nap time I watched him swing his leg over the side, so that was the end of that. He is not happy and keeps telling us his bed is broken. He was banging at the door for about ten minutes but now it's ominously quiet...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:59 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Day two of Carlos' Shrunks bed for naptime and instead of taking over an hour, it took 15 min to get a nap going! I hope he sleeps more than 15 min this time.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:43 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

kimba wrote:
Day two of Carlos' Shrunks bed for naptime and instead of taking over an hour, it took 15 min to get a nap going! I hope he sleeps more than 15 min this time.

And it was a nap success! Over an hour. What a difference it made for his mood. We had our fun boy instead of Saturday's expert in torture.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:29 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yay, Kimba!

Raygold has slept with Beetroot all week. I usually sleep with them at first (I usually fall asleep getting the to sleep and then try to drag my sorry asparagus out of bed to get things done) and then make my way into my own bed, where I can be a big fat lump in peace. Now if I could just get Raygold to stop poking my mole (he used to poke it while he breastfed, but now he pokes it so much, it is getting sore) and get Beetroot to fall asleep faster (it takes him 20 minutes or more), everything will be perfect.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:57 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Something crazy happened! Silas asked to move to his own room. We coslept/bedshared/(whatever the proper term is) until he was around 3ish? And since then, he's been in his bed in our room. We've asked a few times, but not recently, if he wanted to sleep in his room eventually and he's say "Yes! But not yet. I'm not ready for that yet.". So then out of the blue he tells us "I'm gonna sleep in my own room now. Can you help move my bed in there? I sleep there at night now.", so we did and he slept until 7:30 this morning (usually up closer to 6!) and woke up so happy and pleased with himself. So amazing to watch their independence grow!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 691 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 28  Next