| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116 ... 169  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:25 am 
Impressive boner

Lying in bed with a migraine whilst BG sang the imperial march outside the bedroom door. Told him to stop, which he did for a minute, then he started again. I told him to stop again, then 10 minutes later he started again. His Dad had a talk to him and put him on the naughty step. Now I have the forking imperial march stuck in my head.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:34 am 
And you never will.

Woken up at 12:40 (20 minutes after going to sleep) by being vomited all over. It just had to be pasta and marinara, didn't it? Now I'm up with a very sick little one, washing sheets and duvets because we don't own a second set, and trying to teach a 2 year old the finer points of puking into a container.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:36 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Urgh. Sorry to hear that, pb. Freya just now sick here (on the day we're supposed to have a playdate and her vax), but thankfully no puking. Hope he feels better soon.

P.s. I know what we're *not* having for dinner.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:46 am 
Naked Under Apron

poopiebitch wrote:
Woken up at 12:40 (20 minutes after going to sleep) by being vomited all over. It just had to be pasta and marinara, didn't it? Now I'm up with a very sick little one, washing sheets and duvets because we don't own a second set, and trying to teach a 2 year old the finer points of puking into a container.

OMG, what a terrible way to wake up. I can always tell when Beetroot is going to puke because he gets fidgety and says weird things, "It smells like cheese!! I have to get out of here—blaahhhhhh!" Bathing kids and doing laundry in the middle of the night sucks!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:57 am 
Semen Strong

I feel your pain PB!

Leela had diarrhea all over our bedroom carpet. I'm cleaning it with vinegar and baking soda but the whole room stinks of shiitake. Its probably the tail end of her puking spell on Saturday, which was not helped by the fact that after explaining to her Dad that we needed to give her bland easy to digest food like bananas, toast and apple sauce, he decided that he was going to give her a chocolate covered chocolate donut when he took her while I caught up on sleep.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:09 am 
Nooch of Earl

Oh PB that sucks!! You're a better mom than I am, I probably would've just slept on the couch (floor, whatever) and put off doing the laundry!

*hugs* TLish, Have you thought about going to the grocery store and renting one of those carpet steamers? That sounds like a tricky thing to clean up without something like that.

I'd forgotten all about the horrors of baby stomach bugs. Yikes!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:32 am 
Semen Strong

I think I'm going to try the enzymatic cleaner we use on the dog poo accidents in our house, if the vinegar and baking soda doesn't work.

I was thinking (in the should I eat this? thread) that maybe it was from old (2 day old) rice.... Its literally the only likely culprit. Babies are so weird - sensitive to some food but apparently able to eat non-food items and dog food with no ill-effects

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:49 am 
Naked Under Apron

I've found a cheap-vodka/water mix + tea tree oil and maybe a squirt of Dr Bronner's soap is great at being a natural 'Febreze' and de-stinking things on a smaller scale.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:51 am 
Semen Strong

That is fascinating! Do you need vodka in it (could I use say white vinegar?) and what are the proportions you use?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:30 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Tofulish wrote:
I think I'm going to try the enzymatic cleaner we use on the dog poo accidents in our house, if the vinegar and baking soda doesn't work.

I was thinking (in the should I eat this? thread) that maybe it was from old (2 day old) rice.... Its literally the only likely culprit. Babies are so weird - sensitive to some food but apparently able to eat non-food items and dog food with no ill-effects

You have to be very careful with rice. Its one of the foods that needs to be put in the fridge as soon as possible.

"Uncooked rice can contain spores of Bacillus cereus, bacteria that can cause food poisoning. When the rice is cooked, the spores can survive. Then, if the rice is left standing at room temperature, the spores will germinate into bacteria. These bacteria will multiply and may produce toxins (poisons) that cause vomiting or diarrhoea. Reheating the rice won't get rid of these toxins."

quoted from this site: http://tna.europarchive.org/20100929190 ... amcooking/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:48 pm 
Semen Strong

I had no idea! I've eaten left over rice for as long as I've lived on my own, and never had any issues - I generally make a double portion and just let the second cool enough and then put it in the fridge. But after the unfortunate events, we are going to have fresh rice from now on. Man, diarrhea is gross.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:00 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I remember when I learned about this in my food safety classes. My eyes were really big with surprise about this rice subject! A friend of mine makes her own sake or some type of rice drink and she's telling me how to do it and I'm just shaking my head "no no no no no no" and thinking about the bacteria. We eat leftover rice sometimes but I do try to only make enough for the meal. Its easy enough to cook a fresh pot the next night for leftovers.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:32 pm 
And you never will.

Oh man Tofulish, I am so sorry. I hope both of our babies are over the yucks now.

I sat up with poopiebaby until 6am. He continued to vomit every 45 minutes (almost clockwork), 8 times in total. At the end it was just water/breastmilk and dry heaves. Poor baby. I got everything washed and dried and managed to make the bed and lay down a towel, and as soon as he stopped puking long enough to fall asleep on me I decided it was time to lay down. Thankfully he slept 5 straight hours after that and seems fine this morning. We're sticking to toast and applesauce so far, but I think it's over.

Now I'm just trying to get the tomato sauce vomit off his precious white bear that he sleeps with every night. It says surface-wash only, but I already put it in the washer on delicate last night with some enzyme cleaner and hopefully it will survive a wash :(

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:02 pm 
Semen Strong

I hope Poopiebaby is feeling better.

Today we have butt squirts. They are the worst. Especially because someone doesn't like wearing her diaper. Mostly I feel like her poop doesn't smell, but this stuff is nasty. Uggh I feel like I have earned one poopfree day.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:37 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I had no idea about rice! I've always eaten leftover rice with no issues and I often make extra rice to use the next day in fried rice. Luckily I don't think I've ever fed Malka leftover rice (she's not that big of a rice fan anyway).

T, I hope the squirts stop soon! I'm amazed that L's poops don't smell. Malka's are practically radioactive. Malka has just become obsessed with taking off her diaper. We confine her to the kitchen when she's pants-less; luckily there haven't been any accidents yet.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:00 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Tofulish wrote:
That is fascinating! Do you need vodka in it (could I use say white vinegar?) and what are the proportions you use?

I do 50-50 with the vodka/water. Vinegar works, but not nearly as well, in my experience (I use vinegar instead when I use my carpet shampooer (because it's cheaper) and not vodka). Plus, the booze helps it dry faster. Rubbing alcohol might work, too, but I don't know -- I haven't been able to find it here. Anyway, for spot cleaning (and upholstery, but do a wee spot-check first), I recommend vodka, for larger tasks, vinegar.

Slightly OT: One time I cleaned the whole house with this cheap vodka from Aldi's and then drank the last shot or so, only to discover it was a really nice vodka. I guess it had even won an award or something and I assumed it was crappy because it was so cheap! Now, I use "value vodka" from the grocery store for cleaning (also good for de-stinking vintage clothes and clothes that have been in storage that you don't want to wash) and drink the stuff from Aldi's.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:00 pm 
WRETCHED

I've known about rice but we still eat leftover rice, we usually don't go beyond 3 or 4 days though. I think a lot of the problems happen in places where they leave rice out all day long then use it for fried rice the next day. We cook it, cool it, refrigerate it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:04 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Sooooo....What about rice cookers? I mean, mine will cheerfully keep rice warm for a couple of days. Is it unsafe to eat after a certain point? Yikes.

My vent: we had an AWFUL music class today. I mean, the class itself was fine. We normally go on Thursday evenings and have a grand ol' time, but I tried to do a makeup at 10:15, which is butting against her normal naptime plus she woke up early, probably a big part of the disaster that ensued. Well, unlike the yoga studio location we usually go to, this was held at a music studio (like for lessons) and she was trying to scale the piano bench to get to the ipods/pens/lesson plans/etc. on the piano, climbing up on chairs, behind baby gates to get to the drums and such, stealing other kids' shoes, you name it.. And then of course it was "bring out sticks, but only let the kids have sticks while they're sitting" day, which of course works SUPER well with V under normal circumstances...so I'm taking sticks away from her, which results in tears and stealing sticks from elsewhere that I then have to take away again 30 seconds later... and then it was parachute day, only the rule was that kids couldn't sit on the parachute and of course then I'm dragging her off of climbing on top of it every 10 seconds.

Ugh. So many mini-tantrums every time I'd drag her away from some hazard or another, so many hazards. (And I would love it if people would stop bringing their kids' damned toys to the class and I didn't have to police that too) Basically it was like one long tantrum for her while *I* did toddler music class. And paying $20 for the privilege. I'm so tired of going out of my way to do special stuff just for her and then having her shiitake all over it. I know she's not deliberately being difficult, but I'm just...tired of it. But if we don't go out and do anything then she's bouncing off the walls and going on a destructive rampage around here because she's bored. (Her latest favorite thing is pulling out a dining chair, climbing up onto the table that way, and spinning around on the dining room table. yay.)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:16 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Yeah. We are struggling with the boredom = destruction problem, too. Malka has recently learned to climb up on the kitchen table by herself, so that's pretty scary. She can pretty much climb everything in the house now, except possibly the bookshelves, which are all baby-gated for that reason.

I once left rice in the rice cooker overnight accidentally on warm and it was a giant mass of mold in the morning. I would not recommend eating stuff kept on warm in the rice cooker after several hours, even if it still looks okay.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:22 pm 
WRETCHED

I have a rice cooker but as soon as it goes off, I hit the off button and take the container out and put it on the stove to cool. Sometimes I'll leave it in there a little while to keep warm if I'm waiting for other things to finish cooking but I don't keep it on warm longer than an hour.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:34 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Ariann wrote:
I had no idea about rice! I've always eaten leftover rice with no issues and I often make extra rice to use the next day in fried rice. Luckily I don't think I've ever fed Malka leftover rice (she's not that big of a rice fan anyway).

Like a lot of food safety things, leftover rice tends to have the most deleterious effect on the very young and very old. Total bummer because cold, day old rice is delicious.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:34 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Well and what about sushi? I always heard to let it cool down to room temperature by, like, fanning it gently with a palm frond, not sticking it in the fridge. Inari are always so much better fresh at room temperature than out of the fridge, too.

After all the morning gedoe, I thought V would go down for a nap right away, she was certainly tired and I had to keep her awake in the car.. But no, of course not, as soon as I tried to get her to sleep she had her second wind, and then it was another hour. It's like they have some kind of radar for when you want to get something done. I'm not trying to negotiate an Israeli-Palestinian peace treaty or anything, I just need to make green rice krispie treats for a care package, assemble it, and mail that shiitake, then go pick up a present for my kinda-like-secret-santa-but-not-holiday-related secret person and deliver it surreptitiously. You know, the kind of thing that would've been maybe 2 hours worth of stuff to do pre-kid, but now I'll be lucky to get that shiitake done today. Probably I'll be lucky if I get the care package assembled, let alone mailed. It is SO frustrating. But first, getting lunch in me. Including leftover rice, so I'll probably have the shiitakes too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:40 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We eat leftover rice a few times a week. I always make a lot at once, refrigerate, then heat it up over the week. We've never had an issue. This is kind of amazing to me.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:27 pm 
Semen Strong

And the projectile vomiting is back! So now its definitely not the rice she ate on Saturday but a tummy bug. She hasn't eaten anything except a few bites of toast but then had some cashews and puked them all over the kitchen. And then I had to push the dog off eating the vomit.

Seriously, my life is soooooooooooooooooooooooo glamorous.

Now I'm kind of sad that I threw out a batch of brown basmati pilau because I thought it was bad.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:36 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oh, Tofulish that sounds awful. Vomiting is just the worst. :(

I read the rice thing maybe 4-5 years ago, but I too have eaten not-well-warmed-up rice for years and years. I lost a lot of weight earlier in my life and rice was a staple of my diet then.maybe 6 or 8 times a week I had rice. I never died. :)

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 4223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116 ... 169  Next