| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5420 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144 ... 217  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:31 pm 
Tofu Pup

I currently have 2 books on the go. I tend to do that a lot. One fiction, and one non-fiction. They are:

1. Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick
2. Vegan for Life by Jack Norris

Overall they are both quite enjoyable thus far.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:53 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
Just started Damned by Chuck Pahliuk (sp)

Just finished One Flew Over the Cookoos Nest and 1964 by Stephen King

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:27 pm 
Impressive boner

Talulla Rising by Glen Duncan. (I'm taking a break from Fat Chance by Robert Lustig, I can only take so much science at a time.)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:19 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Clover83 wrote:
I currently have 2 books on the go. I tend to do that a lot. One fiction, and one non-fiction. They are:

1. Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick
2. Vegan for Life by Jack Norris

Overall they are both quite enjoyable thus far.

i've read both and they are fantastic. enjoy!

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Finished Why Have Kids? - I really liked it. Now I'm reading a book about swearing. It's surprisingly boring, but I'm not that far into it, so hopefully it'll get better.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:59 pm 
WELFARIST!

leonardo wrote:
But there were a number of times I remember laughing at out during the reading of Pnin.

Speak, Memory is occasionally delightfully humourous. Nothing laugh out loud, but definitely amusing in parts.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:06 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Snuff by Terry Pratchett.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:59 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i finished 'the debut' by anita brookner. interestingly, all the characters are not really likeable but i kept wanting to keep reading to see how things turned out. i do recommend it.

currently chose to re-read the 'housekeeper and the professor'

am wondering if anyone has any suggestions.... i really like fannie flagg and i have immensely enjoyed reading 'three grapes and a cold biscuit' and 'back when mary alice was a blonde' by robert hastings. anyone have any quirky southern fiction (or otherwise?) to recommend to me. with both authors, i just love the characters in the stories, nothing out of the ordinary really happens, it's just good stories about ordinary people making their way through life in small-town america.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:25 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm reading Code Name Verity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:05 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

bookwormbethie wrote:

am wondering if anyone has any suggestions.... i really like fannie flagg and i have immensely enjoyed reading 'three grapes and a cold biscuit' and 'back when mary alice was a blonde' by robert hastings. anyone have any quirky southern fiction (or otherwise?) to recommend to me. with both authors, i just love the characters in the stories, nothing out of the ordinary really happens, it's just good stories about ordinary people making their way through life in small-town america.

You might like Anne Tyler's novels, most of them are set in Baltimore though the very early ones are set further south. I would recommend pretty much any of them except the last one or two haven't been as great.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:22 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I just got back into Throne of Jade the second book in the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik. I really like them, but there are some boring parts that get me totally out of the zone. I reread Name of the Star and then read The Madness Underneath. Ugh, that series is so good! I kind of wish I didn't know Maureen and just read the series when it was all over! Instead I end up reading them before they even come out and then I have SO LONG to wait till the next one.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:35 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Quarantined wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:

You might like Anne Tyler's novels, most of them are set in Baltimore though the very early ones are set further south. I would recommend pretty much any of them except the last one or two haven't been as great.

yes, i've heard of her.... i read 'the accidental tourist' and i adored it. i tried a couple of her other titles but did not enjoy them :( do you have any specifics of hers i should seek out?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:02 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

bookwormbethie wrote:
Quarantined wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:

yes, i've heard of her.... i read 'the accidental tourist' and i adored it. i tried a couple of her other titles but did not enjoy them :( do you have any specifics of hers i should seek out?

Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant is one of my favorites. Of the very early ones, I like the Tin Can Tree and If Morning Ever Comes. Most of the others I've read so long ago, I can't remember specifics, but I feel like I liked most of them except the last two, The Beginner's Goodbye and Noah's Compass, that I remember pretty clearly being bored by.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:26 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Finally finished 11.22.63, it's the first time a Stephen King book makes me cry! Awwwwww to the ending.

Now I started "Eats, Shoots and Leaves", a book about punctuation. It has a panda on the cover! One of my colleagues lent it to me because I am such an annoying perfectionist when it comes to grammar and punctuation.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:38 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Stone by Adam Roberts. Rather strange SF, very very readable. (Still making up my mind whether that's good or bad.)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:45 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

"Salt, Sugar, Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us" by Michael Moss.

It's not about demonizing some foods and exhalting others, and the author clearly states that the causes of obesity and disease are more complex than just eating too much of those ingredients. It's more about the corporate food giants' goal of getting as many people addicted to processed foods as possible, with absolutely ruthless emphasis on exploiting the more vulnerable segments of the population for their gains. It's fascinating!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i wouldn't suppose anyone would have a copy of 'the story of the stone' by barry hughart in actual paperback or hardback form they would like to sell to me?!
http://www.amazon.com/The-Story-Stone-B ... 0385246366

Last edited by bookwormbethie on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:22 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

@quarantined, thank you for the book title suggestions! off to look them up......

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:09 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I finished the last Wheel of Time book! I feel so sad now! There is a book-shaped hole in my heart now that will never ever ever be filled. *sniff*

If anyone has a fantasy series recommendation, it would be much appreciated!!

My book club is reading Cleopatra this month. So far, I'm not really into it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:13 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i was blown away by the entire 2001 Odyssey series by arthur c clarke. also, his stand alone book 'songs of a distant earth' is fantastic!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:20 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

couroupita wrote:
I finished the last Wheel of Time book! I feel so sad now! There is a book-shaped hole in my heart now that will never ever ever be filled. *sniff*

If anyone has a fantasy series recommendation, it would be much appreciated!!

My book club is reading Cleopatra this month. So far, I'm not really into it.

The book I posted about above is fantasy-ish. It's alternate history - the napoleonic wars with dragons and it's about a british navy captain who captures a ship with a dragon egg on it and his relationship with the dragon. It's pretty great, despite some boring parts, but if you're more of a history buff then those parts might be more exciting to you.

::ETA:: um, maybe it would help if I told you the name of the books! The first one is called His Majesty's Dragon and it's by Naomi Novik.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:30 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

ijustdiedinside wrote:

The book I posted about above is fantasy-ish. It's alternate history - the napoleonic wars with dragons and it's about a british navy captain who captures a ship with a dragon egg on it and his relationship with the dragon. It's pretty great, despite some boring parts, but if you're more of a history buff then those parts might be more exciting to you.

::ETA:: um, maybe it would help if I told you the name of the books! The first one is called His Majesty's Dragon and it's by Naomi Novik.

Sounds awesome!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:34 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I got tired of all the unicorn wonder and whimsy, so I got In Cold Blood by Truman Capote.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:10 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Ooohhhh bookwormbethie, you made me remember that I wanted to ask the PPK about a book I am desperately searching for ages! Sadly I don't have the one you're looking for though.
New thread for books exchanges/searches!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:56 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Moon wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:

Sounds awesome!

I thought it was cute, but it didn't compel me enough to pick up the rest of the series. Then again, I'm not really a fantasy reader. When I do read fantasy I tend to read the humoristic kind (such as Terry Pratchett).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5420 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144 ... 217  Next