| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Anti-Depression/Sadness Activities
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:04 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

couroupita wrote:
annabazoo wrote:
@ torque: that is so awesome about your co-worker. Obviously it's terrible that you were in such a bad place, but it is comforting to know that there are people out there who will go out of their way to help a fellow human.

I'm going to add cleaning to my handbook. I don't enjoy cleaning, but it's pretty easy to disinfect the bathroom. And then i can look at it and be like "yay i did something!"

If you haven't already, check out Un-fuck your habitat. There's an app as well. One day when I was feeling down I clicked on the random 5 min challenge (on the app) and it told me to wipe down my bathroom counter and put away the clutter. Another was to make my bed. I was like, um....are those things to be proud of??? But I got off my duff, did them, they were easy, and I felt a little better.

Thank you so much for the app suggestion. It's exactly what I need right now. My apartment is a disaster, and I've been so stressed/anxious/SAD riddled that I just don't have the motivation to do anything about it. The Random Unfucking Motivations sound a lot like what I title all of my alerts/alarms.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:37 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Right!? I have a good feeling this is going to change my life.

ALSO, The Cosby Show.

ETA: Is it not on the iTunes App store?

ETA2: Unfilth Your Habitat, HA!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:58 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I can tell the difference in my mood most strongly when I take some time to care about how I look, wear makeup, do something to my hair, etc. It is necessary for me feeling good about myself, but sometimes I don't do it if I'm not going to leave the house or something, which is a problem. Then I will never start my day.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:29 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I need that app! Pity my cc is maxed out. Boo me!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:01 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Unfuck Your Habitat sort of reminds me of FlyLady, which is another good site about organization, though some of the tenets of FlyLadyism are not necessarily applicable to my life (getting dressed does make me feel more productive, but wearing shoes inside my apartment all the time would probably just start a war between me and my downstairs neighbors)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:05 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Limone wrote:
Unfuck Your Habitat sort of reminds me of FlyLady, which is another good site about organization, though some of the tenets of FlyLadyism are not necessarily applicable to my life (getting dressed does make me feel more productive, but wearing shoes inside my apartment all the time would probably just start a war between me and my downstairs neighbors)

I quite liked the basic idea of Flylady, but eventually I couldn't bear the cloyingly patronising tone of the site, and the assumption that everyone is a happily married stay at home mum (and a martyr). I also didn't like the neverending religious overtones. Unfuck your Habitat is basically Flylady without the yuckiness, which is why I like it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:15 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Yeah, that aspect of the site is weird. There are some good tips on there but you have to read between the lines a bit to make it tolerable.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:46 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

That UFYH site is great! I started doing that today. I tidied up one of my kitchen presses that hasn't closed properly in over a year. So proud of myself. Also went and picked up all the rubbish in my ensuite and divided it between recycling and rubbish bags and took all the clothes and socks. I done them in 2 separate 20/10's. Later today I am going to go back to it with the hoover, spray cleaner and some clothes. Looking forward to it being nice and tidy. It's definitely given me a little boost because my house has gotten so cluttered and messy with me being mentally unwell for so long.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:42 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Thank you guys for this thread! Lots of good ideas here. When I'm really super depressed, it's so hard for me to do anything, but I need some of these reminders. The worst part is that most of the "activities" require the prerequisite of taking a shower and that is always the biggest, craziest hurdle for me when I'm down. Even though I know, beyond a doubt, that I will feel better after taking a shower, the whole idea is "just too much."

That is my goal for the coming weeks. Just to take a shower. Maybe I don't end up drying my hair and it looks like shiitake. Maybe I don't wash my hair at all. But I just need to get in there.

(reading that makes me feel so insane, but depression is just like that sometimes.)

Another hurdle? Getting myself to be okay with taking the time for myself. Depression and my ADD usually leave me constantly behind on school/work tasks so that I never feel like I "deserve" the rest and self-care. For example, last night I was reading "Writing Down the Bones" by Natalie Goldberg and thinking about how much I love writing and how good I feel afterwards, but then I thought: "If you're going to do any writing, you need to work on your master's coursework. Something that matters." Then I feel bad, don't do any writing, AND don't work on my master's stuff. Vicious cycle. I need an alarm that goes off when I start thinking like that!

I second recommendations for seeing a friend and hanging out. I'm pretty isolated here and only have one friend outside of work colleagues, but when I get to see her and just talk/drink tea/go to thrift shops, I never ever regret the time I spent doing it. I always feel better and more alive. I've been reading a book about ADHD and one of the tips for coping with it is to make sure you get regular "connections" with people - conversations with friends, hugs and snuggles from your partner, etc. It seemed a little hippy dippy when I read it, but it made so much sense when I reflected on how I felt after spending time with friends or having a skype chat with someone back home.

So take a shower and hang with some frands!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:12 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

pickledtreats: I think that is a fine goal! I definitely had a spell where if I got out of bed and took a shower, I counted it as an accomplishment.

The weather is starting to turn here, so I actually ran outside this weekend! I didn't get much else accomplished besides running and showering, but I'm still counting it as a win. I did tidy the living room a little, and I got to check one thing off my To Unfuck list.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:24 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I find forcing myself to make the bed and take a shower both help my state of mind when I'm going through bad days. If nothing else gets done, those two things still make the day a win.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:53 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Doing my makeup and hair (even when it feels like a 'waste'), texting a bunch of friends/family just to say what's up (and then I get a ton of responses at once and it feels nice), cooking something tasty and nutritious, honestly caffeine perks up my mood but I know that can be problematic for some people. Usually if I can get myself outta the house things will look up.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:16 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I've been making myself make my bed and washing the dishes before I leave for work in the morning. It is making me feel like I am more "together."

Also, I downloaded the unfuck app yesterday. My house is still out of control thanks to my depression phase lasting forever so it is helping me to get things down.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:12 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

My depression makes me forget what activities I can do to get out of the funk. Does that happen to anyone else? Then I remember something I did in the past that made me feel better or I find my list of things to do to clear my mood. Exercise or moving always helps me. And getting out of my own head. Too much thinking while coping with depression always leads to doom and gloom for me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:14 pm 
Nailed to the V

Sometimes when I'm sad I listen to this song.. because at the end they repeat "You're feeling a little sad tonight, but you'll be alright."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:30 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I love Unfuck Your Habitat! My bed has been made for three days in a row now and somehow that makes me proud (and actually does make my room look a lot better.)

Recently I got into Zentangles. I'm really out of practice with drawing, and it frustrates me whenever I try to draw and I'm not as good as I used to be, so art actually makes me more frustrated and depressed. But I really like Zentangles, its like doodling so I'm having fun, but its challenging enough that it has my undivided attention, especially when I'm learning a new tangle.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:04 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Peri wrote:
My depression makes me forget what activities I can do to get out of the funk. Does that happen to anyone else? Then I remember something I did in the past that made me feel better or I find my list of things to do to clear my mood. Exercise or moving always helps me. And getting out of my own head. Too much thinking while coping with depression always leads to doom and gloom for me.

This is exactly what happens to me. It's why i made this thread, so that when i am sad i have something to tell me to do things. Depression is like an evil bug that just wants to make you worse and worse, so once it gets you a little bit it does its best to keep you there.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:29 am 
Nailed to the V

http://offerupthedeep.tumblr.com/post/47513883449/21-tips-to-keep-your-shit-together-when-youre
21 tips to "keep your shiitake together when you're depressed."
Some of these are pretty good.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:12 am 
Nailed to the V

My SO dragged me out to play tennis the other day. If I'm honest I always though the whole exercise helps thing was a bit of crepe but...it did help! I had tO get up proper early, and I usually sleep really late, and it was actually fun! I've been trying to get up earlier recently. Sometimes it's hard because then the day seems so long and hard to get through...but I don't feel so muggy as I do when I sleep in.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:45 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I find having a shower, putting on make up and blow drying and straightening my hair with the straightening iron helps. Especially the repetitive motion of straightening my hair, seems to smooth out the rough spots in my mind as well.

Also, driving. I don't own a car right now, but we are lucky enough to have our best friend living near us who will lend us his car for a few hours when needed. Although he doesn't ask we usually give him gas money. Something about being able to turn on the radio a bit loud and the focus that driving requires. I think also the feeling that I am escaping, I can imagine that it's my car and I'm going to pick up dh and we are going to drive very far away.

These things don't make the depression or sadness go away, but they provide a nice distraction and keep me out of the very dark corners of my mind.

When I'm having a very bad day I find it helps to let go of some of my chores, such as leaving the bed unmade or a few dishes unwashed.

Funnily enough exercise can be hit or miss with me. Sometimes it makes me feel better, but for only an hour afterwards. Sometimes working out regularly can make me feel good for weeks. Sometimes it just robs me of what little energy I have and I end up feeling worse.