| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:32 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I've had this book since right after it came out, and still haven't made anything... any suggestions for a must-try recipe? I feel like every veggie burger I've ever made totally crumbles and falls apart, so I'm hoping to find something that will stay together! I'm having a friend over next weekend for dinner and we're going to make burgers (whatever recipe I end up choosing from this book), sweet potato fries, and make various dipping sauces!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:28 pm 
Nailed to the V

Bagel Buns! They are soo nice and chewy and awesome fresh from the oven.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:20 pm 

Does the chipotle sweet potato burger recipe make 6 or 8? I'm trying to meal plan but I'm not at home, so don't have my book... Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:45 am 

Does anyone know if it would work to bake the edamame burgers, rather than pan fry? I want to make a batch and freeze the leftovers, and baking seems a bit less labour intensive.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:04 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

VeganMeredith wrote:
Does anyone know if it would work to bake the edamame burgers, rather than pan fry? I want to make a batch and freeze the leftovers, and baking seems a bit less labour intensive.

You can bake them, it just makes them dry out a bit. I would brush them with a little oil before baking, and then bake them covered in a foil tent at 350 for about 20 to 30 minutes (depending on how thick you make your patties), flipping half way through and uncovering for the last 5 minutes of baking.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:48 pm 

joni wrote:
VeganMeredith wrote:

You can bake them, it just makes them dry out a bit. I would brush them with a little oil before baking, and then bake them covered in a foil tent at 350 for about 20 to 30 minutes (depending on how thick you make your patties), flipping half way through and uncovering for the last 5 minutes of baking.

Thanks so much Joni!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:10 pm 

VeganMeredith wrote:
joni wrote:
VeganMeredith wrote:

Thanks so much Joni!

The burgers turned out sooo good! We didn't have tin foil (forgot to pick some up) and we baked them for about half an hour, flipping half way through. They may have been a bit drier than usual but we didn't find them overly dry, we put some chipotle dipping sauce on top, plus sauteed onions, mushrooms, spinach and tomatoes on top. So good! Plus sweet potato fries on the side :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:44 pm 
Nailed to the V

I just rented this from the library and I've spent the past hour pouring over it while my teacher lectures on GIS mapping.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:47 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

MMmm. I'd pay attention to the GIS. If you are good at that, your job options are pretty wide open. It's a well paid, shortage field.

I live near the Geospatial Intelligence Agency. Tons of job openings there; they recruited heavily at my school.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:25 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just got this in a swap, and I have the bacon burgers on the list for this week, but I just saw the pizza burgers and OMGZ. Has anyone made those?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:18 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

creep wrote:
I just got this in a swap, and I have the bacon burgers on the list for this week, but I just saw the pizza burgers and OMGZ. Has anyone made those?

I've made the pizza burgers! They were pretty good.

Can't believe I haven't tried those bacon burgers yet though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:01 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The bacon cheeseburgers were great. They reminded me a lot of the patty melts in Hearty Vegan, which are our favorite burgers ever. Why are they called cheeseburgers though? There's no cheese sauce or anything. The nooch in the mixture, maybe?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:49 am 
Ninja Master

I wasn't struck on the bacon burgers, because i thought they were really sweet! I might try making them again though without the maple syrup.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:30 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I cut the maple syrup a bit because everyone here said they were sweet, but I did have to add a splash of water, because the mixture ended up a little dry without it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:01 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Are these really the best veggie burgers? I've only ever had maybe two in my life but I much prefer veggies on their own or in other things, but my boyfriend LOVES burgers! He came back from a trip raving about Chicago's Karyn's veggie burger that now I feel that it's inevitable for him to ask about some soon. He likes them with a good bite but not too mushy. Any tips, or does this book really fit the bill?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:40 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I really love this cookbook. The variety of burgers is great, I have no trouble finding the ingredients, and if you're not a burger person you can chops the leftovers up for a burrito or wrap filling.

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:25 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

VeganMeredith wrote:
Does the chipotle sweet potato burger recipe make 6 or 8? I'm trying to meal plan but I'm not at home, so don't have my book... Thanks!

Has anyone made this? Does it really call for a whole can of chipotles in adobo sauce? I love spicy, but using a whole can would make it inedible for me. If it does, what can I use to replace all the chipotles and sauce? I mean, maybe I can use one chipotle and/or a LITTLE bit of the sauce, so there would be a whole can worth of liquid/solids to make up for...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:03 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

fauxfrancais wrote:
Are these really the best veggie burgers? I've only ever had maybe two in my life but I much prefer veggies on their own or in other things, but my boyfriend LOVES burgers! He came back from a trip raving about Chicago's Karyn's veggie burger that now I feel that it's inevitable for him to ask about some soon. He likes them with a good bite but not too mushy. Any tips, or does this book really fit the bill?

My husband eats mostly vegan, because that is what I cook, but for things like meatballs and burgers he is skeptical. He compares too much to the original instead of allowing the vegan version to be what it is, if that makes sense.
Anyway, having thrown out that background info, the grilled All American Burgers (TVP, mushrooms, VWG) were deemed a success. I haven't yet made a "straight-up" veggie burger yet and don't know if that is what you are specifically referring to, but my 2 cents is that the All American was meaty, not mushy, and held together well being grilled.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:55 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Good to know, thanks guys! We were discussing the need for a new cookbook, this might be it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:03 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

Angelina wrote:
VeganMeredith wrote:

Has anyone made this? Does it really call for a whole can of chipotles in adobo sauce? I love spicy, but using a whole can would make it inedible for me. If it does, what can I use to replace all the chipotles and sauce? I mean, maybe I can use one chipotle and/or a LITTLE bit of the sauce, so there would be a whole can worth of liquid/solids to make up for...

I did them in testing and a lot of testers thought they were way too spicy with a whole can. You could do however many you wanted with no subs and be fine. I don't think the burger would suffer without all the extra. I don't remember what liquid is in them, but add slowly to make sure they don't get too mushy and they should be ok.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:45 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Yeah, I should just say that a lot of the recipes for this book were tested a very long time ago, quite a few years before the book came out, and I know for a fact that Joni smoked back then so a lot of the recipes are heavy on spice and sweetness. There's one with a ridiculous amount of scotch bonnets in. So if you think a recipe looks like its going to be too spicy or too sweet just add in less of whatever it is and it should still work.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:55 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We had a bunch of zucchini in our CSA, so we made the zucchini mushroom burgers. I was a little skeptical, because there's not a lot of seasoning or fatty ingredients, but they turned out really good, especially topped with vegenaise and marinara. They're a little on the softer side, and not very typical "burger" tasting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10