| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Americans
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:48 pm 
A Bad Person

Am I the only one watching this? I really like it! I have some fascination with the KGB and the cold war, and this show is fairly good at pulling off the paranoia aspects of undercover work. It's not quite up to BSG/Cylon levels yet but that took a while to develop too. I'm watching it on Hulu, so I'm on an 8 day delay, but I was certain Nina (the Soviet secretary) was going to get caught in episode 5.

And it was already renewed for a second season! So the Jennings at least have to survive whatever is coming.

Post subject: Re: The Americans
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:49 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I'm watching and really like it!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:04 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

I like it too. They don't make paranoia like they used to.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:21 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

They are filming some of it in my neighborhood! Every so often we get notices along the lines of "There will be several explosions tonight. Don't worry about it".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:54 pm 
A Bad Person

Explosions?!? LA LA LA LA LA LA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:15 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

We watched the pilot and were really, really turned off by the rape flashback scene so we took it off our watch list.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:26 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I'm watching it too! I really like it and am stoked that it's been renewed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:46 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I just saw the pilot tonight. My boyfriend has been talking about it for a while, and he really likes it. I have to say, I'm intrigued - I'll definitely watch more of it

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:49 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I love it! I have to say, though, I appreciate that FX runs the 3-minute episode recaps because sometimes I have no idea what's going on.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:34 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I'm liking this show too, but I admit I get confused about who is who because of the main characters popping up in different disguises, pretending to be CIA and whatnot. (That's kind of embarrassing so I'm gonna go ahead and just say that I have poor eyesight so facial features are easily forgettable for me.) And I sort of like that Keri Russell is the more hardcore loyal to the motherland character.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:00 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Audrey, sometimes I can't tell it's the dude when he's in disguise too, I think they put a little more effort into making him look different, Keri Russell just looks like herself in a wig.

I really liked the long chase scene set to 'Tusk'. I also like to point out all of the shiitake they couldn't get away with today, like if Keri Russell was trying to dig a box out of the woods in 2013 there would be some crasshole instagramming the foliage behind her.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:09 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I'm watching it too. A little too realistically violent for me, but the writing and acting are so good I'm sticking with it. (I hate, hate, hate all the shows about serial killers. I just cannot watch them.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:36 pm 

Audrey wrote:
I'm liking this show too, but I admit I get confused about who is who because of the main characters popping up in different disguises, pretending to be CIA and whatnot. (That's kind of embarrassing so I'm gonna go ahead and just say that I have poor eyesight so facial features are easily forgettable for me.) And I sort of like that Keri Russell is the more hardcore loyal to the motherland character.

i think that's cool, too! it's much more intriguing for a woman to be the one to care less about her family and be more committed to the cause. i feel like she'd definitely ditch her kids if she needed to, and that's really interesting to watch in a messed up way. poor kids! they are just props!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:11 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

mrsbadmouth wrote:

I really liked the long chase scene set to 'Tusk'.

Yeah, I thought that in the pilot they made really good use of late '70s/'80s music and I wish they would do that more.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:13 pm 

one scene i got pretty confused about in the pilot was when they showed keri russell first starting out in 1960 and now it's 1981 and i just had a hard time suspending my disbelief that she was now 21 years older! but if she was 17 when she started and now she's supposed to be around 37/38, i guess it makes sense. She's 36 in real life.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:41 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

ijustdiedinside wrote:
one scene i got pretty confused about in the pilot was when they showed keri russell first starting out in 1960 and now it's 1981 and i just had a hard time suspending my disbelief that she was now 21 years older! but if she was 17 when she started and now she's supposed to be around 37/38, i guess it makes sense. She's 36 in real life.

Yeah, I had a problem with this too.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:50 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Yeah, I don't understand why they don't use tv magic to make her look younger in the flashback scenes. There's makeup and there's this thing you can do that's like a temporary 'face lift' with tape and strings that are really easy to hide under a wig. I know in a lot of comedies they purposely just stick the actor in a bad wig for flashbacks because it's funny, but for a serious show they could just try to make her look a little younger.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:29 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

This week's episode was soooo stressful.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:53 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I haven't read this thread because I don't want to spoil anything for myself, but I just bought the first two episodes and am hooked. I too have a fascination with cold war stuff and I loved the first episode soundtrack and Keri Russel's highwaisted Jordache jeans. It's doing a pretty good job of trying to be 80s.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:48 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Just found this thread when I decided to search for one.

I've really gotten into the show - was disappointed with the departure of a minor character last week where I thought there was really interesting potential. But they seem to be keeping it interesting. I like that the actors appear to actually speak decent Russian (if slooooowwwwly) and are presumably native speakers, and the "have to blend in and never speak Russian!!" is a nice cover for the American accents.. There are just so many directions they can go.

I do wish that they would commit a little bit more to it being a period piece. It took me most of the pilot to figure out that it was going to take place in the early '80s, not present day. The hair, clothes, and makeup just don't look dated enough to me. It seems like they're not willing to commit enough to the characters not looking stylish by modern standards or something. Yes, there are the high-waisted Guess jeans...but what else? Where are the bad perms and teased hair? And with the guys, they just...don't seem to be trying at all.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:59 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

I think I'm in love with Margo Martindale. Kind of bummed that she won't (maybe?) be back next season.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:02 pm 

that season finale was kind of super great, right? Is margo martindale their handler? If so, yeah she's awesome.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:36 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

Yeah, it was really good! They're doing a good job of humanizing the spies without celebrating them--the scene where Claudia talks about meeting Zhukov as the CIA guy bleeds out on the floor was a perfect distillation of that.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:48 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

mumbles wrote:
I think I'm in love with Margo Martindale. Kind of bummed that she won't (maybe?) be back next season.

Ooh, do you watch Justified? That's where my love for Margo Martindale began. She played a central character in season 2 and she was just incredible. I'm glad to see Graham Yost continue to utilize her and give her interesting roles.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:02 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

I haven't seen that yet, although I might have to now. I did just notice that she played the American tourist in the last segment of Paris, je t'aime, the only reason to watch that movie.