| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Crispy meringues with Miyokos marvellous flax foam!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:12 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Haha, bubbling away here too! And i'm not far from sydney. Do let us know how it goes.

Post subject: Re: Tunnock's Teacakes/ Cornelie's cookies...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:36 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

barefoothippy wrote:
If you're making Tunnock's teacakes you wouldn't need to par-cook the meringue first in order to coat it in melted chocolate as Loomi thought - they are made by creating a chocolate shell first, then filling it with meringue after it's cooled! You can buy moulds(molds) specifically designed for this, the silicon ones are best as you can just pop the finished choc out without fear of breaking it :) When the meringue is in the choc shell you seal it in with a biscuit(cookie) dipped in more chocolate and turn it rightside up and out of the mould when it's set.

Hopefully I'll have some time over the weekend to try these 'meringues' - I've only ever used flaxseeds for sprinkling or making hairgel (with the 'mucillage'!). Exciting!!

Epic first post. I need these.

Also, I need to actually find whole flaxseed. This country seems to only have the milled seed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:01 am 
Not NOT A Furry

When I tried the soft meringues they didn't fluff, I think I followed the recipe accurately. Any ideas what I might have done wrong? I didn't wipe out the bowl with vinegar as suggested....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:01 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

My guess would be that it was not quite cooked down far enough. It's hard to know the first time you make it when to stop cooking. However after you've got it right once it's easy.

There is a simple way around this, though. Freeze it then let excess liquid drain off as it defrosts, and whip it when still a bit frozen. The foam will whip up faster and better whether it's cooked down enough or not, as you are getting rid of excess liquid anyway.

Though i've usually defrosted at room temp, i did it slowly in the microwave yesterday and the liquid seemed to drain off in the same way.

It should still whip without the vinegar, it just seems to whip much better when i use it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:36 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

So, thanks to Loomi, I will resume experimenting with baking with my flax seed meringue goop! I first started experimenting with this 25 years ago. Back then, I only used "natural" sweeteners, such as brown rice and maple syrup, fruit juice concentrates, date syrup, etc. I was unsuccessful getting it to hold up under heat in souffles, meringues, etc., and therefore determined that it was only for cold applications. I have never really experimented with heated applications since. I'm grateful for this sort of "collaboration" that leads to better and better ideas and methods! I think sometimes we all get stuck in thinking that something is just so, and it takes another set of eyes to get us beyond that. Thanks again, Loomi!

I now think there might be a way to get it to hold up under heat for savory applications, such as souffles. Will report back on that. It's funny how this 2-year-old post on my blog that no one seemed to notice is suddenly getting so much attention. Guess I have Loomi to thank for that as well!

By the way, the goopy seeds can be used to make great flaxseed crackers. I usually add a half-cup of almond flour, garlic, herbs de provence, sea salt, then spread them out on a silicon sheet and bake them at 300 until crispy. They don't have the "hippie" taste of a lot of raw food crackers (sorry if I offend any hippies out there!). They go great with my cheeses!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:13 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

River over at Wing It Vegan made the meringue during Mofo
wingitvegan.blogspot.ca/2012/10/a-vegan-meringue-topping-and-chocolate

I really want to attempt angel food cake this weekend!

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:47 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

daisychain wrote:
Also, I need to actually find whole flaxseed. This country seems to only have the milled seed.

Daisychain (hello fellow Irisher!) you might have seen it in healthfood shops etc. as 'linseed' - same thing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:29 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Maggie Muggins wrote:
I really want to attempt angel food cake this weekend!

This is the first thing I thought when I saw vegan egg whites that can make meringues. I've been craving angel food cake like crazy - time to experiment!

Of Capsicums & Things."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:33 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

tigerpants wrote:
daisychain wrote:

Daisychain (hello fellow Irisher!) you might have seen it in healthfood shops etc. as 'linseed' - same thing.

Oooooooh! Didn't know that! Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:46 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Well thank you Miyoko! It's so great that you shared the recipe freely, and that you ever thought of whipping flax goo - it's such unpromising looking stuff, but that is part of the magic. I would never have thought of it.

Using flax in this way is so appealing, i think. As Isa said on Facebook (thanks Isa!) whipped up egg replacer doesn't quite cut it. This doesn't require anything obscure or expensive that needs ordering online and is as 'natural' (whatever that means) as non-vegan meringue. Makes egg-whites seem a little less 'special'.

You are right, sharing information leads to new things, so thank you. I think this is something where the more peoples that play around with it, the better. There's so much stuff that would be interesting to try. And just to get the process/ recipe for basic crispy meringue refined for guaranteed success ( relatively speaking, of course) would be great.

Souffle would be fantastic, can't wait to hear about your experiments!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:08 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

So my next batch of meringue:
This time i thought i'd see if i could make softer meringues, or at least soft on the inside, maybe a bit like pavlova. Soft meringue toppings ( for pies and such ) often have a lower sugar to eggwhite ratio, so i gave that a go. This also meant that foam was firmer, and could hold a shape better than previous versions. Unfortunately when they went in the oven they settled back to being rounded mounds, one sheet they actually flattened quite a bit. I started these out at 110C, which was probably the cause. Perhaps if i'd started lower they would have held a bit better, i don't know.

Also i added more cream of tartar, after looking at various recipes, so probably this helped with the firmness of the foam. It did change the flavour of the foam a bit, but it wasn't particularly noticeable after cooking.

Knowing that i was going to keep them softer i knew i would have sticking issues. So i greased some foil and dusted with cornstarch (often recommended for pavlova) but they seem to have still stuck pretty badly. I think perhaps with softer meringue that's not going on top of something ( like a pie, biscuit/ cookie or whatever) that edible wafer paper stuff might be worth a try. I'll get some next time i'm somewhere that sells it.
Anyone have any other ideas for something to bake on that they might not stick on so much?

Anyway one of the baking sheets from this batch coloured slightly from the higher heat, which actually gave them a nice flavour.

Anyways, what i used was -

185g flax goo
130g white sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
Few drops of vanilla ( didn't seem to affect the foam)

Some of them we did eat while still soft and chewy in the centre. Some i left in the oven (turned off) overnight, as meringue recipes often recommend. The next day they'd actually become sort of softer and stickier. I blame this on the warm, rainy and humid weather here (apparently it's bad for making meringue). But it was fine, i just put the oven on at about 90C for a while and let them cool in there. But i might have left a little too long as they ended up completely crisped. But delicious :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:48 pm 

I interned at a bakery and they used the goo for egg whites in their vanilla cake. They just soaked the whole seeds in hot water for ten minutes then strained. I don't remember the ratio and I would love to try this for my favorite lemon cupcake recipe. Would you suggest using the same amount of goo as the whites (2/3 cup for example)?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:09 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Gee, i don't know, i've not tried it in cake yet. I'd imagine a 1:1 replacement would be a good place to start. Do you have a link to the recipe, or something similar?

I'd be a bit concerned that the flax foam would collapse under the higher heat used for baking cake. After a while at 90C - 100C (194F - 212F) it seems to 'set' and tolerate higher heat. Not sure how that would translate to your recipe.

That is very interesting about the soaking in hot water. I tried this and it was a bit watery to whip well. But i wonder if it would have worked better if i'd frozen it, drained it and then whipped. I'll give it a go sometime. Anyway, i really recommend freezing the goo then draining it, it really concentrates it and makes it whip better.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:29 am 

No, unfortunately I don't. :( they used the goo straight up without whipping it first. The batter was such a weird and light texture. That's interesting about freezing! I'll have to play around!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:29 am 

And thanks for all your info!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:15 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

You are very welcome! And yes, do play around, it is so fun to see a bit of brownish goo transformed into a great cloud of beautiful white foam.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:06 pm 
Kale Wreath

Thanks so much for posting about this!

I have this week (and maybe many more) off and am now on a mission to create macarons (and possibly pavlova...) using the flax meringue recipe as a base. Today was my first attempt, and it looks very promising!

I made matcha macarons, using all of loomi's tips as well as ways to avoid common macaron mistakes that I read up on. I whipped in some xanthan gum when I added the cream of tarter, and I couldn't contain my excitement - it whipped up into a marvellous voluminous peaks of loveliness, even when I added 1/3 cup of sugar! (more so than the tester meringue I did last night using the original instructions) I might try pavlova tomorrow using the same technique because it looked really perfect for that.

The macarons themselves had the perfect taste and texture, but I think the mixture was too thick after I added the almond meal and stuff - unfortunately a few of them cracked and only some formed feet. They were actually not quite flat enough (which is the opposite problem from what most of the vegan macaron recipes seem to have). Next time I'll put in a little less xanthan gum. All in all though, I consider it pretty successful for a first try, especially for someone who has never made any kind of macaron in her life.

I tasted the mixture before baking and it reminded me of marshmallow fluff.

I would post pictures, but you'd probably rather see a more perfected version, without cracks and uneven sizes (I'm working on piping more uniform mounds as well).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:04 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

awesome! Thanks for sharing, sounds like a really promising attempt!

I've never had a macaron in my life, maybe that will change some day :)

I really have to give the xanthan gum a go, it sounds like it might be the thing that will stop them flattening when other stuff is added. Might be good for 'holding up' pavlova too.
A little later today, when time allows i will post about some pistachio meringues and black sesame meringues i made. The black sesame were particularly flat; next time i will try some xanthan.

Thanks again!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:00 am 
Kale Wreath

I've never had a meringue in my life, haha.

I hope the xanthan gum does the trick for you, I think a little bit goes a long way. Looking forward to hearing about/seeing the pistachio and black sesame meringues, those are two of my favorite flavors. I'll be dreaming about pavlova tonight!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:44 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Yes indeed xanthan is powerful stuff. Aaah, pavlova dreams :)

Pistachio and black sesame are favourites of mine, too. I think Meringue is a great base for ingredients like these, the flavour comes through really beautifully; unhindered by anything that has much 'substance' and the crisp airiness is lovely with these heavier/ denser ingredients, if that makes sense. Both of these were really tasty.

For the pistachio meringues i used:

140g flax (after defrosted and drained)
115g sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
Pinch salt
60 g ground, sifted pistachios
Slightly less than 1/2 tsp vanilla.

The pistachio and vanilla got added right at the end, mixing on low speed. Perhaps i should have folded in the pistachio as it did slacken the meringue a bit.

I started out the oven at about 90C, then increased to 100C after about 40mins, then about 110C for 1/2 hour. These temps have worked best for me so far, but perhaps the addition of other ingredients (xanthan or starch) would allow for higher temperature?

some of them i sprinkled with the bigger pistachio chunks i sifted out. Here is a picture-

For the black sesame meringues:

120g flax
130 g sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
45 g ground black sesame, mixed with 20g almond and 2tsp cornstarch
Pinch of salt

The black sesame was pretty clumpy after i ground it, so i mixed in the almond and cornstarch. This helped a bit, but it was still quite clumpy. I should have sifted it, i think, but my only suitable sieve was otherwise engaged.
I tried folding in the black sesame mix but due to its clumpiness i ended up mixing on low, which deflated things a bit.

These were really good, but they flattened out a lot, though still very airy and light. Also i think i left them in the oven a little long, as you can see they colored a bit.

Here is a pic of the underside. The black sesame sunk a little below the upper surface.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:31 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I wonder if this would work as a replacement for egg whites in royal icing? Or do you thing the amount of sugar would ruin it?

Please can you stop the noise, I'm trying to get some rest from all the unborn chicken voices in my head.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:45 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Well i have zero experience with royal icing. But as far as i can tell the purpose of egg white in royal icing is to make it set hard, not provide volume, so i don't think the sugar would be a problem.
Vegan royal icing made with n.d milk seems to be common, but apparently it doesn't set as hard as the eggy kind. I think it quite probable that using the flax goo would be an improvement on that. But there are other vegan recipes around that use egg replacer or cornstarch and xanthan (see here http://theppk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2925) which probably work better than the milk kind. Flax goo would have the advantage of not having any raw starchy taste, and may set harder than any vegan recipe...so for all i know it could work brilliantly. Or not. Tell us if you try!

Sometime i will try a meringue buttercream with flax goo. I think the one called 'french meringue buttercream' (according to wikipedia. Not to be confused with 'french buttercream') would have the best chance of working. It's uncooked and is now rather uncommon due to fear of raw egg : )

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:17 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Haha, I was thinking about the meringue buttercream too, maybe we can get it to work! I will definitely experiment with the royal icing, I've been using a recipe that adds glucose and it works just fine, but it's thick and difficult to pipe without getting a cramp in my fingers. I will definitely let you know what happens!

Please can you stop the noise, I'm trying to get some rest from all the unborn chicken voices in my head.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:45 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I tried some plain meringues with xanthan, and it worked beautifully! They really kept their shape well and had i been bothered to pipe them they would have looked rather nice, i think. Maybe next time. Anyway i think the added xanthan will make the meringue much more suited to stuff like pavlova, pie topping etc. where the meringue needs to hold its shape.

I used-
135g flax goo
120g sugar
About 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
A few pinches of xanthan

I started the oven at 90C, then increased the heat after about half an hour. But i think these ones might have held up to higher initial heat.
Definitely best to use the xanthan sparingly, it doesn't need much and i think if too much were used it would be too gummy and not get crisp.

Soooo when i have time (hopefully soon!) i'm gonna make a very serious attempt at pavlova : )

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:06 am 
Tofu Pup

This week I made meringues wit agave sirup instead of sugar. For 1/3 cup of flax I used 5 tablespoon of agave sirup. I baked them at 100 C for 30 minutes, then at 110 C for another 30 minutes and then at 100 C with fan for 1 hour. After that they were still soft, but I left them in the oven ang in the morning they were crispy :-) Next time I will bake them shorter.

As far as their taste is concerned, they are flaxy. It is ok for me, but my daughter doesn't like them.