| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Silk iced latte
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:28 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I saw Silk Iced Latte at the grocery store a few days ago in vanilla and mocha flavors. Has anyone tried these? I'm not a big coffee drinker but it might be nice to keep around for an occasional cup.

Post subject: Re: Silk iced latte
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:30 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I saw that in target! it was cheap too! Really curious if it is good. And how long the expiration date is. That would be a nice convenience item to have around (I don't have many) esp in the summer time

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:54 pm 
Nailed to the V

I bought this immediately when I saw it, I had to! The taste is instant coffee + vanilla soy milk. Nothing exciting, not too great, but okay. It seems to have the same shelf life as soy milk in general. I'm sure I'll finish it off before it goes bad.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:34 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

didn't Silk do coffee-flavored soymilk quarts years ago? is this basically the same thing?

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:50 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

What bugs me about this product is that it basically has no calcium, even though it's mostly soy milk. I drink a latte because they're a good way for me to get my calcium in for the day, so I was excited to see this product until I looked at the nutrition panel.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:51 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
didn't Silk do coffee-flavored soymilk quarts years ago? is this basically the same thing?

I think it's different because this is caffeinated, which I don't think the old one was. Though I could be wrong. Silk is not my favorite but I really want to try this!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:58 pm 
Nailed to the V

dakini wrote:
EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:

I think it's different because this is caffeinated, which I don't think the old one was. Though I could be wrong. Silk is not my favorite but I really want to try this!

You would think, but I remember that tasting way better. I think that was more like coffee flavor added to soy milk, and this "iced latte" deal lists coffee as the first ingredient.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:30 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

karichelle wrote:
What bugs me about this product is that it basically has no calcium, even though it's mostly soy milk. I drink a latte because they're a good way for me to get my calcium in for the day, so I was excited to see this product until I looked at the nutrition panel.

Ugh, I didn't even look at the label!
I had the mocha, it isn't worth the price (over $4 here!). It somehow doesn't taste enough like coffee or chocolate for me. I actually prefer chocolate silk + instant coffee (and I don't really even love that).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:33 pm 
Tofu Pup

It's $4.70 here, but I got them @ a significant discount so I bought 6 of the "Vanilla" flavor. Each 8oz glass should contain about a shot of coffee.

[*]It doesn't list the amount of caffeine on the ingredients list, but keep that in mind before you accidentally have a glass after 6pm. It will keep you up till about midnight unless you're resistant to the effects of caffeine.

[*]Carrageenan & Gellan Gum are 2 ingredients that are very noticeable in this drink. I have a somewhat sensitive palette, so I noticed something almost immediately. Those two are used primarily as thickening agents.

[*]The contents should be chilled to at least 40 degrees F & agitated by a good shaking before you pour it into a glass.

Still haven't finished the first container. I should have 4 shots left in it.

For the price they're asking, the flavor should be INCREDIBLE, but it's below average.

I've mixed my freshly brewed roasted coffee with soymilk & I prefer my concoction over this manufactured version any MORNING.

It would be nice if they could create a "Egg Nog" flavor, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

If anyone else has any other questions about this, I have 5 more unopened 64oz containers I'm probably going to experiment with over the course of the next week.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:44 pm 
And you never will.

I bought some of the vanilla when I saw it, and after tasting one mouthful promptly took it back to the store and got my money back. I don't know why, but I thought it was disgusting. Everything about it tasted really artificial, and I'm hardly a snob about stuff like this (I drink instant coffee!). Anyway, yeah. I wasn't a fan.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:00 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

It's a cool idea but at over $4 a carton and with these less than rave reviews I think I'll pass.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:03 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

coupons.com has a $1/1 coupon for these things. http://utnuoz.cpns.cc/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:10 pm 
Tofu Pup

I would totally agree with the "artificial taste".

[*]This is how Silk describes this product..... "Be your own barista with smooth, refreshing Silk® Vanilla Iced Latte. A wholesome blend of Silk soymilk and espresso from premium Arabica coffee beans, our Iced Latte is deliciously dairy-free, with no artificial sweeteners, colors or flavors and no high-fructose corn syrup. Coffeehouse-quality taste, conveniently located in your home fridge."

Natural doesn't mean much of ANYTHING in the food industry. It's a very broad term, I'm sure most of the members of this forum are well aware of.

[*]These are the ingredients used in their "latte" drink that gives it that oh so good taste.... (Coffee Extract, Soymilk Natural Flavors, Gellan Gum, Dipotassium Phosphate, Sodium Citrate, Carrageenan).

I'm pretty skilled in the kitchen, but it's going to be challenging to "mask" the artificial flavorings.

This product is designed to cater to anyone who's likes "INSTANT coffee" that needs a quick caffeine fix with a soy milk base.

The coffee extract has no "freshly roasted" flavor whatsoever.

The strongest flavor you will notice is the "artificial vanilla", if you've had the fake v-extract, that's EXACTLY what this drink tastes like.

[*]It's NOT coffee house & it's not delicious. It's actually kinda gross the more I think about it.

I have 2-8oz shots left now out of the 1st container.

5 - 64oz unopened containers left.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:25 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I like it okay? And I hate a lot of the flavored holiday milks because of the nasty stevia taste. It's still cheaper than Starbucks and if you're only drinking coffee drinks for the caffeine like me, it doesn't matter if it's not as good or fancy.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just drank this. It's not comparable to any actual coffee drinks I buy, but I think it was pretty good. Tastes just like chocolate milk mixed with cheap coffee and that's all I expected.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:32 pm 
And you never will.

I wonder if the mocha one is better than the vanilla? Has anyone tried both and can compare?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:36 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I wish they had just individual serving size. I like the mocha okay but not enough to buy a whole thing again.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:37 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I haven't seen the vanilla one around here yet!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:13 am 
Tofu Pup

The vanilla isn't good. It's too hard to MASK the artificial VANILLA flavoring. I'm going to try to finish another 64oz container today. I'll have 4 remaining if I succeed in keeping it down.

I don't think I'm going to ruin any good ingredients to fix the flaws I find in this "all natural" product.

If you're craving this latte type drink I would highly recommend you make it yourself.

Just brew some of your favorite freshly roasted coffee & instead of using milk, use the regular SILK.

So far I prefer their REGULAR soy milks so much more.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:46 am 

If you don't like it, i'd probably use it in a smoothie or something. I've put a shot of coffee into a green smoothie before, so then I have to put in some creamer because greens + coffee is kind of bitter, so I think that actually will mask the vanilla flavor.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:11 am 
Tofu Pup

I'm trained in classical French techniques, so I know how to CORRECT food related issues.

This is a product that was created for a certain consumer. I only bought 6 of them because it was a great deal & I drink coffee latte type drinks several times a week.

Like they say K.I.S.S = Keep It Simple Silly.

I don't like the taste of the "silk latte" at all, but I'll just drink it straight instead of wasting it. I have 5 of them left & will finish ALL of them.

I'm DEFINITELY not buying this product again unless they create an EGG NOG edition.

I wouldn't ruin coffee by mixing it in there to "purposely" mask the vanilla flavoring, but since I do have 8 cups left from yesterday's morning brew, I'll try it out to dilute the sweetness of the product.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:13 am 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

mrsbadmouth wrote:
If you don't like it, i'd probably use it in a smoothie or something. I've put a shot of coffee into a green smoothie before, so then I have to put in some creamer because greens + coffee is kind of bitter, so I think that actually will mask the vanilla flavor.

Oh, that's a neat idea! I might try that.

I think I might keep one of these at work, once I've tried it to see if I like it or not. I can't have a coffee maker in my classroom, so I have to rely on instant coffee and a water boiler, and my instant coffee always separates from my soy milk in a really weird way that grosses me out. So, if this doesn't separate and semi-curdle when I pour it in my cup, it's already better than what I have!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:06 pm 

YKT wrote:
I'm trained in classical French techniques, so I know how to CORRECT food related issues.

I think Steve Martin said it best when he said, "Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me!"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:31 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

is it milky enough to be used in baked goods?

also, ice cream needs to be intensely flavored, because the colder something is, the more difficult it is to taste them. (but i guess you know this already.) anyway, try cooking it down a bit and making ice cream with it. (p.s. i'm a fan of aroy-d's coconut cream as an ice cream base.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:57 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

YKT wrote:

I'm DEFINITELY not buying this product again unless they create an EGG NOG edition.

They do every holiday season.

I mean, it doesn't have coffee in it, but they do nog every holiday, so if these lattes sell well, they might do nog latte in a carton? It seems unlikely, though.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.