| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Baby Registry
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:03 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I loved having a stroller from the very beginning because we had bad luck baby wearing and it took me a LONG time to figure out carriers that worked for us. Since I had such baby wearing issues, the stroller was a lifesaver for me since it meant I could get out of the house easily. Lydia was pretty good with a stroller as an infant though, and I know many babies aren't.

Chiveggie, we loved California Baby Super Sensitive body wash and shampoo. It's not too expensive if you get it at Target and comes in a nice big 19 oz pump bottle (plus as a bonus, it's a great face wash to remove eye makeup since it's tear-free).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:57 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thanks for the info.
i sent my husband the chicco key fit frame thingy link. it looks like it has the benefits of a travel system (click carseat onto stroller and go) but isnt huge, bulky, and expensive.

can you use any chicco car seat with it or just specific ones?

my husband was reading last night info on travel systems vs strollers and needing to have it right away and one site said it depended on what season you had your baby in lol. it said for winter babies the travel system was great for when they are infants because you can just take the car seat off and plunk them in the car. but for spring babies you had the luxury of not freezing your baby while taking them from stroller to car seat so it wasnt 100% necessary to get the travel system.

was kind of a good point to think about though im sure there are work-arounds for everyone (ie just carrying the car seat) plus it depends on where you live!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:13 am 
Semen Strong

Well the City Mini comes with a car seat adapter as do many other strollers, so you can just plunk the car seat on without having to transition the baby out of the carseat into the stroller, you have that benefit with a regular stroller as well.

I got a travel system for my shower and that thing was so bulky, complicated and heavy I made my husband come with me to consign it so I didn't have to carry the thing. My City Mini can be opened and closed one handed and is so light I can lift it with one hand. I did a ton of research and at the end of the day am so happy with the City Mini. I got mine in their January sale too - they transition from 2012 to 2013 models now and you can get them at approx $30 discount. I really was so grateful for something I could use one handed because you juggle so much

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:30 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

we are splurging on a city select. It has an adapter for the car seat, and then an adapter to make it a double stroller too, along with the "riding board" for an older kid to stand on. Hopefully it will be the only stroller we'll have to buy, which is good since it is $$$. (well I'm sure we'll acquire a cheapo umbrella stroller at some point later too)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:58 pm 
Semen Strong

Oooh! Adaptor to make it a double stroller sounds SO useful!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:51 pm 
***LIES!!!***

We didn't use a stroller for months and now use it so extremely rarely (I used it today! haven't used it in months!). We definitely only wore her for a really long time, unless we were going somewhere in the car and she fell asleep in the carseat - we'd transfer her into a universal frame before we wound up buying a stroller (the universal frame was a hand-me-down with one bum wheel, but it was plenty good enough for a long time).

Malka loves Tofulish's stroller - she climbs into it every time we see it and also every other CitiMini we see. I HATE our stroller - it's a Peg Perego - I DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT ONE. It is so freaking cumbersome. I am perpetually irritated by it and then irritated with my husband for talking me into it in the first place! I did like our Peg Perego carseat, though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:22 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

so i found out last night that 95% of the big items on my babies r us registry are no longer available.
i cant even explain how irritated i am.
ive been looking through amazon today for crib bedding and it's all coming back to me that in the beginning we werent even sure what the point of the bedding sets were because half the crepe that comes with them we dont even want but i had found a really cute forest friends one that i liked so we just went with it.

now that the one i actually liked is unavailable im back on the "what's the point" bandwagon.

what do you actually NEED for a crib?
i dont want a dust ruffle, i dont know what a diaper stacker even is, the quilts can be cute but like what's the point?

i feel like a few different fitted sheets you need and then some sort of something to go over the baby. non-fitted sheets dont seem to exist so some sort of blanket?
my due date is May so it will be warm but on the other hand i have no idea when we will actually start to use the crib as i know the baby will be in our room with us for quite awhile (we registered for a cosleeper)

And then there is the whole stupid issue of crib bumpers. It looked/sounded like a good idea to me. I mean it would keep the baby from getting its arms and legs stuck in the rails right? So the one that matched our forest friends crib bedding set was stupidly expensive so I told my husband if no one bought it for us we would just buy a plain white one. but now in another thread I see Tlish wrote that they can actually be dangerous?!?!?!?
If I register for some sheets and some blankies I should be covered right? I don’t really need all the bells and whistles and matchy matchy stuff.
And just a complaint: the pack n play we registered for was super cute and also had a forest animal theme and THAT’S unavailable now too!!! I loved that damn thing!!

Apparently forest animals are NOT COOL anymore:-(

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:32 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

- a few different crib sheets
- a waterproof mattress protector
- some blankets or swaddle sacks or whatever

That's pretty much all you need (well, you don't need the mattress protector but it's nice). Those matchy-matchy bedding sets are kind of ridiculous.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:33 pm 
***LIES!!!***

No regular, loose, over-blankets for newborns - they're a SIDS/suffocation hazard. You can use receiving blankets for swaddling, though, or blankets specifically made for swaddling. Also, you're right, no crib bumpers, same reason. You just need fitted sheets at the beginning, blankets for swaddling, and various sufficiently warm things for the baby to sleep in especially if they're not well-swaddled through the night. There are these sort of sleep bag outfits made for the purpose - they have arms but the leg part is just a sleeping bag. Alternatively, a onesie with pants and booties/socks or a one piece outfit with foot coverings. You want them to be warm enough that they don't wake up from being cold, but not too warm, because it's also a SIDS hazard (ugh). A fan in the room would be a good thing.

All that being said, Malka slept naked from go and continues to do so. But she was in our bed, which is super warm all year. We also always have a fan blowing over our bed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:08 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ok thanks for the info. it's ridiculous they try to sell you all this crepe you dont need. we didnt even really want to register at BRU but 95% of the people coming to my shower will be my extended family and i cant really do anything outside the box for them.

as it is it was a big ginormous huge controversy yesterday when someone tried to find the high chair (another now unavailable item.....)

i think we already have a few different fitted sheets on the registry and one waterproof mattress pad.
im gonna delete the bumper all together and not replace it with a different one.
i think we have a couple sleepy sacks and swaddle blankies on there but i will double check.

thanks for the info! this is really hard for me because i know ZERO about babies!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:19 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I say get plenty of fitted sheets. Also the swaddle blankets - there are a few brands out there so maybe try a couple - I think these things are awesome! felt like we didn't need them as much with our first, but this baby really responded well to being swaddled. They are kind of expensive so a good item to get as a gift.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:41 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Pinko wrote:
- a few different crib sheets
- a waterproof mattress protector
- some blankets or swaddle sacks or whatever

Yep, this is basically all we had/have. We used swaddle blankets in the beginning and then switched to sleep sacks. Oh, we also have one of those mesh bumpers.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:40 pm 

yeah, for her bassinet I have two waterproof mattress covers and three fitted sheets, and I think I've got the same for her cot when she moves into it. I use muslin wraps for swaddling, and just use one of those over her as a 'blanket' because it's too hot for anything else. I have four muslins and that's always been enough [with two in use at all times, one for swaddling and one on her bed].

Tofulish wrote:
... I did a ton of research and at the end of the day am so happy with the City Mini. ...

So pleased to read this - I have one of these and like it so far but haven't had to use it much seeing as she's so little!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:48 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I have 4 crib sheets and two waterproof pads. It makes it really nice because I make his bed with one waterproof pad then a sheet, then another waterproof pad and a sheet. That way if an accident happens in the middle of the night I just peel off the top sheet and pad and his bed is still made. (cribs are a Pain to make-up because the mattresses have to fit so snugly to prevent suffocation hazard that you practically have to pull the mattress out of the crib to put the sheet on.)
We swaddled our guy - first with the receiving blankets from the hospital and then when he outgrew those we bought some of the large linen ones which were great!

We JUST, now at 7.5 months, got a bumper. I didn't want one when he was a tiny babe of course for the suffocation risk, but when he got mobile I was getting up multiple times a night to rescue him when an arm or leg was stuck in the bars. Since you are supposed to remove them when they can pull-up - which will be soon for us - I just went to the thrift-store and bought one for $1. We also use pacifiers at night - so the bumper helps keep those in the crib too!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:39 pm 
***LIES!!!***

annasrobbie wrote:
I have 4 crib sheets and two waterproof pads. It makes it really nice because I make his bed with one waterproof pad then a sheet, then another waterproof pad and a sheet. That way if an accident happens in the middle of the night I just peel off the top sheet and pad and his bed is still made.

This is *brilliant*. I think we might do this on Malka's bed now that you've given us the idea! Shockingly, we've gotten away with one fitted sheet and one mattress cover so far on Malka's bed - in the unfortunate event of puking, she winds up moving into our bed. In the event of pee-throughs, we put down a light receiving blanket over the sheet and she's fine for the rest of the night.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:30 pm 
Chip Strong

Ariann wrote:
annasrobbie wrote:
I have 4 crib sheets and two waterproof pads. It makes it really nice because I make his bed with one waterproof pad then a sheet, then another waterproof pad and a sheet. That way if an accident happens in the middle of the night I just peel off the top sheet and pad and his bed is still made.

This is *brilliant*. I think we might do this on Malka's bed now that you've given us the idea! Shockingly, we've gotten away with one fitted sheet and one mattress cover so far on Malka's bed - in the unfortunate event of puking, she winds up moving into our bed. In the event of pee-throughs, we put down a light receiving blanket over the sheet and she's fine for the rest of the night.

The double-made bed is a home birth trick. :) It's good for both giving birth in your bed, or having your baby sleep in your bed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:18 pm 
Nailed to the V

The crib bedding set we have came with:

- 1 sheet (We use it and also bought 3 spares. We probably could have gotten away with one spare since we didn't move Finny up to the crib until he was 3 months and my husband and I had figured out how to prevent diaper leakage by then).
- diaper stack (I actually like this because it allows us to have some diapers hung on the side of our changing table where we can reach them without having to look away from the baby. If you don't have a changing table, then this item would be useless).
- wall decorations (Still haven't hung these)
- quilt (Really just for decoration. My husband re-purposed it as a soft playmat for the floor).
- mobile (Finny loves the mobile and it looks cute)

So basically, the only thing we needed was the sheet, but we do use some of the other stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:09 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

I had my baby shower this past weekend and it went pretty much as I expected gift wise. We got a bunch of the big stuff we needed which was awesome and then 80000000 onesies and swaddle/receiving blankies and nothing else. Like literally not a single bib. Hahahaa.

So we have a bunch of stuff to return and some stuff to buy. How much of this stuff is actually necessary and how much of each do we NEED. Im trying to keep it simple.

*bibs (10?)
*crib sheets (3?)
*pack n play/cosleeper sheets (3?) apparently the pack n play and cosleeper sheets are the same size so I can use it for both
*boppy pillow and cover (im thinking one extra cover? Maybe 2?) I know the boppy pillow isn’t a “necessity” but I think I want one
*bath towels/hoodie bath things (2?)
*mattress pads (1-2 of each type? Ie crib and cosleeper/pack n play)
*wet bag for disposable diapers (2?)
*changing pad????—we registered for a changing pad and a couple covers because we didn’t get a changing table and didn’t receive any of it. however my husband put together our pack n play last night and the one we got comes with a little bassinet type thing and if you flip it over it’s a little changing area. I kind of think we’ll just use that???
*tub—we didn’t get a baby tub but I guess we will need one at some point? seems like for infants you just lay them on a towel and sponge bathe them but at some point after the cord stump falls off you can put them in a tub
*bottles/nipples—I got 2 packs (of 3 I think) of bottles and one pack of 3 extra nipples. We are going to attempt breastfeeding and I am not returning to work so I think this is more than enough?
*shopping cart cover—that thing you see babies sitting in in a grocery store shopping cart. Do people like these?

Then I just have a general diapering question. What do people put poopy diapers in before you have enough to wash them? my MIL this weekend was asking me. she said they used to have a “diaper pail” and I said I honestly had no idea and I had neglected to think that far ahead :-P I know there are the “wet bags” but I guess those might be more for when you’re out and about? What do people do?

Am I forgetting anything? Seriously all we got was clothes and swaddle blankies and one basket of bath toiletries.

Thanks!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:56 pm 

*bibs (10?)
We have at least 10 bibs [probably more] and I often have one in her bag, one by where I feed her in her room, one by where I feed her in my room, and at least one in the lounge at all times. Some days all 4-5 of those need to go in the wash at the same time, so I'd say 10 is a good start. Also, I assume I'm going to use them more/need to wash them more often when she's actually eating, so yeah..

*crib sheets (3?)
I have three sheets for her bassinet and two waterproof under thingies. I could have made do with just two sheets, but we've hardly had any leaking nappies and she's not very spilly. Three is probably the lowest safe number!

*pack n play/cosleeper sheets (3?) apparently the pack n play and cosleeper sheets are the same size so I can use it for both
see above re: sheets - if it's something you'll use often, three is probably a good number

*boppy pillow and cover (im thinking one extra cover? Maybe 2?) I know the boppy pillow isn’t a “necessity” but I think I want one
Not a necessity but I really like mine, I do find it makes getting comfy while feeding easier. Mine didn't come with an extra cover but it's been pooped on and milked on [a lot] so my mum made me a spare cover. Definitely get at least one.

*bath towels/hoodie bath things (2?)
We just have one, it's fine. Most days I just hang it up to dry and use it again the next day. Sometimes she pees on it so I wash it, otherwise I just wash it a few times a week.

*mattress pads (1-2 of each type? Ie crib and cosleeper/pack n play)
Is this waterproofing? If so, we have two for bassinet and two for the cot [which she's not in yet] and I think that's plenty.

*wet bag for disposable diapers (2?)
I just have a few little bags that came with some of the cloth nappies I bought. Unless it's some fancy thing, you'll probably want at least two so if the first one is still all gross inside you can go out again with the second one.

*changing pad????—we registered for a changing pad and a couple covers because we didn’t get a changing table and didn’t receive any of it. however my husband put together our pack n play last night and the one we got comes with a little bassinet type thing and if you flip it over it’s a little changing area. I kind of think we’ll just use that???
We don't have a change table either, have used a changing pad [no cover, I just lay an old [from the 80s old] cloth nappy over it] on her cot. Is the pack and play thing padded or is it just plastic? I'd want something soft-ish to lay her on, but if it seems nice enough you probably won't need a changing pad.

*tub—we didn’t get a baby tub but I guess we will need one at some point? seems like for infants you just lay them on a towel and sponge bathe them but at some point after the cord stump falls off you can put them in a tub
Oops. We bathed her from the day after she was born... she's pretty much longer than her tub now though [at 3 months] so it's a rather *splashy* experience at the moment! Anyway, ours is just a basic cheap plastic one, works fine.

*bottles/nipples—I got 2 packs (of 3 I think) of bottles and one pack of 3 extra nipples. We are going to attempt breastfeeding and I am not returning to work so I think this is more than enough?
Six bottles is heaps if you're going to be breastfeeding, the only thing I'd say is are the two packs the same? We struggled [and still struggle] to find a bottle she will accept. I have four different types of bottle, a Medela one [that came with my pump], an Avent one, a Tommee Tippee one, and a Nuk one - seems the Nuk works best but it took a long time to figure that out!

*shopping cart cover—that thing you see babies sitting in in a grocery store shopping cart. Do people like these?
don't even know that this is, sorry!

Then I just have a general diapering question. What do people put poopy diapers in before you have enough to wash them? my MIL this weekend was asking me. she said they used to have a “diaper pail” and I said I honestly had no idea and I had neglected to think that far ahead :-P I know there are the “wet bags” but I guess those might be more for when you’re out and about? What do people do?

I just have a bucket on the floor in my laundry for the covers, and a big bucket in the sink for the cloth nappies themselves. Works fine for us!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:09 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Thanks! yeah I meant waterproof mattress pad for the crib/co-sleeper/pack n play. I should have specified cause for a regular bed there is such a thing as just a mattress pad. Now that I think about it im not even sure what the point of it is other than it goes on top of your mattress and under the fitted sheet (adult bed so im sure they make them for cribs too).
I was thinking 2 packs of bottles was a lot too so im gonna take a look at what sizes they are (maybe they are different?) and possibly return one. since im not returning to work I wont really have much of a need to pump and store especially over THREE bottles!
Ill have to look at the changing thing from the pack n play but just when I glanced at it last night it looked like something I would at least put a towel over for comfiness but otherwise was doable.
Here’s an example of the shopping cart cover thing:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.js ... d=11459404
definitely a newer type item but I see people with them a lot. Not a necessity but a nice convienence. Ive seen people some how put car seats on top of grocery carts too but im not sure how they secure them so that makes me nervous.
The wet bag is nothing fancy. It just looks like a drawstring bag. Im sure someone crafty could make them themselves. Here is an example
http://www.amazon.com/Swaddlebees-Diape ... 2RKXT5CXWD
im thinking 2 in case you need to wash one. it looks kinda small so that’s why im thinking it’s more for travel.
Thanks for all your suggestions! That was really helpful! I better stock up on bibs!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:22 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

LisaPunk we use a big garbage can (the metal kind with the pedal to lift the lid) for the diapers. It has a plastic barrel liner which gets kinda stinky but if the lid's closed, it's fine. I suppose you could just use wet bags but you'd need a decent-sized one and the idea of juggling a dirty diaper while you try to unzip the bag doesn't appeal to me (but probably lots of people have other suggestions for that.)

oh but I'm specifically talking about for cloth diapers and you mentioned disposables so maybe never mind. I do know that my brother and his wife used to shake out the poop from disposables when possible and then they used to wrap the whole thing in some kinda duct tape and toss it in their regular garbage!

also - if you are intending to breastfeed, I highly highly recommend the Brest Friend over the boppy - stupidest name ever, but that product made my life SO much easier/comfier. I'm sure most people would say they never needed anything like that, but I'm lazy and enjoyed having something to lay the baby on instead of having to support her with my arms for hours at a time! it's really the main thing that made my bringing Sierra to work for 5 months doable, but even if you just like to be at a computer a lot, it is really handy.

I think a changing pad is super useful. The ones that come with Pack-n-Plays will probably be fine at first but I think as BabyPunk gets bigger and more mobile, a larger more stationary pad is helpful. Ours is on top of my dresser right beneath the shelf we keep our assembled cloth diapers on. But you can use those pads anywhere, a bed, the floor, whatever. They're not too expensive I don't think, and 2 covers is probably good.

we used a cheapie plastic baby tub that goes in the regular tub for Dahlia but she always hated it (it has since found new life as a laundry basket). So for Sierra, the one thing I asked for was that silly Tummy Tub thing...I just loved the idea of it and the ridiculously cute ads/pictures for it. Yes, my sister-in-law paid $40 for a glorified plastic bucket but I love it and, most importantly, Sierra does too. Part of the niceness is she is secure in it and less susceptible to her shoulders etc getting cold because it's pretty deep. But you can just go for a regular tub too, the Puj brand ones seem to be very popular.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:26 pm 

yeah, I personally wouldn't use that shopping trolley thing, but it sure looks comfy for babies! Do you plan to babywear at all? I just pop westiebaby in my wrap when we have to go to the shops, works for us.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:45 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Audrey, I meant cloth diapers. it's highly possible I said disposable when I meant cloth. im due in exactly a month and my brain is complete mush.
I just remembered I have a big plastic Tupperware bucket with a lid down by the washing machine that I used to use for guinea pig fleece when I had them in both sides of my cage and would change both sides at a time. now it just sits there. that might be a good poopy diaper spot. I mean plastic isn't ideal as it might absorb stink more but I can clean it.

I will look up the breast friend thing tonight! thanks for the recommendation!

oncewewerewesties, yes! going to do baby wearing. I have two carriers. a peanut shell sling and a moby. I forgot about the moby cause I just got it at my shower (ok I guess I did get stuff other than onesies and blankies). I was thinking the peanut shell would be bad because the baby would just keep whacking into the handle of the shopping cart but the moby might be perfect.

I think the other thing I just thought of is I tend to leave the shopping cart places and wander off to get stuff like in the produce dept especially and im obviously not gonna wanna do that if I have a baby sitting in my carriage so maybe Moby wrap is the way to go.
or maybe I should just break myself of that habit since I always leave my purse and wallet sitting in the shopping cart ive wandered away from which is just an idiot move :-P

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:44 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I have the Brest friend and the bobby and I love the brest friend and never used the bobby (after trying both). You want at least two covers for a nursing pillow (use one while one is in the wash). I love the fuzzy covers but maybe that's not good for summer.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:11 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Are the bottles for if breastfeeding doesn't work out, or for expressed breast milk? I ask because some bottles are much better for encouraging good breastfeeding than others. Two different LCs who I trust very much recommended Dr Brown's standard bottles to me. Wide mouthed nipples might look more like a breast superficially, but the narrow neck of standard bottle nipples mimic the shape your breast takes when baby is latched on well (ie baby takes in your nipple plus a lot of areola). I like that they aren't too pricey and are available in glass.

Last edited by helbury on Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next