| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tell me about Zumba
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:14 pm 
A Bad Person

So my running partner and I are back into running regularly again, and we do so at the campus gym. We've been joking around that we're going to do Zumba one of these days, but we're actually going to do it. So what are we in for? I don't know anything about Zumba except that it's like aerobics. Do I need equipment? Can I do this in a t-shirt, jogging shorts, and running shoes?

Post subject: Re: Tell me about Zumba
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:18 pm 
WRETCHED

It is a dancy type class, you can certain do it in regular gym clothes and no equipment needed. I say go for it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:27 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yeah, it's based on Latin dance and there's no equipment. It's very high energy and pretty fun. If your gym/instructor is anything like any of the ones I've gone to, be prepared to get some attention for being a guy. Also, it helps to get a spot where you can see the instructor if you're not familiar with the moves.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:28 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Running shoes might not be a good idea if there is deep tread. The flatter, the better because you will probably some moves that involve pivoting. Have fun! Oh and new people tend to hide in the back but you're better off right next to the instructor so you can see/hear.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:25 pm 
Grandfathered In

My coworker does Zumba and really likes it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:46 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Can mbm record this? Please?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:08 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Zumba is *everywhere* here, in every gym, community hall, church hall, empty random shed... and sounds like my personal forking nightmare.

What I mean is, you are clearly super-rad if you're going for it. There are a bajillion videos on YouTube and it all seems like normal gym clothes. And terrifying.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:23 pm 
A Bad Person

Kelly wrote:

She can not, because this is at the campus gym, which doesn't allow guests and she's not a student!

Thanks to the rest of you for filling me in! I may use my Vibrams for this because they're flatter (much flatter!) than my running shoes. And the room it's in is very small. The whole gym is very small. The track is a 1/12 mile track! Losing count of how many laps I've run is a common occurrence.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:06 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I forking love Zumba. You just need regular clothes. It's a ton of fun, really high energy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:51 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I love zumba! If you do it frequently you might want to buy split-soled dance shoes or trainers as they're more supportive on your foot arches, but you definitely don't need anything other than sneakers/plimsolls to start with.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:05 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

brian wrote:
Kelly wrote:

She can not, because this is at the campus gym, which doesn't allow guests and she's not a student!

Thanks to the rest of you for filling me in! I may use my Vibrams for this because they're flatter (much flatter!) than my running shoes. And the room it's in is very small. The whole gym is very small. The track is a 1/12 mile track! Losing count of how many laps I've run is a common occurrence.

Where can we file a protest because MBM cannot record it? I think that is a violation of our rights.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:17 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I was conned into attending Zumba with a co-worker who totally LIED when she told me that you don't need to be coordinated to attend the class. The class I attended was about 45 minutes of non-stop mostly Latin flavor "dance" type moves with a bunch of squatting and leaping about thrown in. About half-way through class there was some kind of secret signal and everyone produced those belly dancing hip scarves with the jingles and danced with those awhile too. After they broke out the hip scarves the rump shaking hit an all time high. Everyone seemed to be having a tremendous time, except for my nearest neighbors who I kept colliding with. I hope you enjoy!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:57 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Vantine wrote:
brian wrote:
Kelly wrote:

Where can we file a protest because MBM cannot record it? I think that is a violation of our rights.

No one wants to see this more than me. I want to show him some zumba videos when he gets up, but i'm a little worried he'll be scared out of doing it.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:09 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I just went to my second class, and let me tell ya, it will wake up muscles you forgot about. Most runners don't work their adductors enough; all the lunges will make you acutely aware of them a few days out. Also, how are your knees? Modify the moves if you need to. But as mentioned above, maybe you should be most worried about the jingly hip scarf things.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:42 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I went to zumba for the first time in ages last night and it just about killed me, especially as it was a super-slippery dance studio floor. Definitely a good work out! (I'm sure controlling the moves so you don't go slamming into people provides good resistance training!)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:38 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Oh man, I love me some Zumba. So much fun and I sweat buckets when I do it. I got a box set for Christmas one year and some of the dvd's are so hard, the dancing is non stop and fast!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:13 pm 
Inflexitarian

I love it! Some instructors at my gym are lame and it's very slow and geared towards older people.

This is one of my favorite instructors!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:32 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I love Zumba. For Realsies. Plus personally I don't know if it's my location or what, but instead of mostly Latin music we get Pop music, which I find a little but funner. With one instructor when she plays "Drop It Low" you are doing different squat positions, and boy do you feel it the next day.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:57 pm 
Inflexitarian

AlmondMilkJoy wrote:
I love Zumba. For Realsies. Plus personally I don't know if it's my location or what, but instead of mostly Latin music we get Pop music, which I find a little but funner. With one instructor when she plays "Drop It Low" you are doing different squat positions, and boy do you feel it the next day.

My favorite instructor uses mostly pop music too. Most of the other instructors use all the Latin music which is okay but it's not my favorite and lots of times it's not as good a workout.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:06 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

So, I did a little Zumba at home last night. I am so pathetically uncoordinated. It was a lot of fun though!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:57 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

AlmondMilkJoy wrote:

I have Zumba Core for the Xbox Kinect and it has Drop It Low, and it's a fun routine! Good song to do Zumba to. I'm a Zumba fan for sure. It burns a lot of calories and is fun... but hard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:53 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I've never done Zumba and I have 0 coordination and I can't dance. Will I look ridiculous if I go to a group Zumba class at my gym? I'm worried it's going to be full of pro-Zumba people and I'll be flailing all over the place and they will scowl at me.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:03 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

lobsteriffic wrote:
I've never done Zumba and I have 0 coordination and I can't dance. Will I look ridiculous if I go to a group Zumba class at my gym? I'm worried it's going to be full of pro-Zumba people and I'll be flailing all over the place and they will scowl at me.

Hmm it's very high impact and very fast. I'm like you, but I've done the same routines over and over, so I can do a decent job... and I only do it at home. I don't think I could ever do it in a class. I've tried dance classes at a gym before and I made the biggest fool of myself. I had two instructors actually laugh at me and thank me for coming, because I amused them so much.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:16 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

lobsteriffic wrote:

I'm pretty much in the same boat coordination- and dance-wise -- I took a few dance classes in college, but was too nervous when it came to partner dancing so never really got much practice. Additionally, I am not very fit and my commitment to daily exercise is extremely variable. However, I love Zumba and have been going to a class about once a week for about a year.

I think a lot can be instructor dependent, so I encourage you to give it a try if you can without committing to the class. My instructor doesn't do a ton of complicated moves, only rotates a couple songs in and out of the playlist each week so you can get a chance to learn various songs by doing them multiple weeks in a row, and really makes it fun and low stress. It is more like an aerobics class than a dance class - the emphasis is on moving and having fun rather than doing anything perfectly. Knowing a few basic Latin steps is helpful, but definitely not required. There are also high- and-low impact versions of most steps -- my instructor often demonstrates the low-impact version before moving to the high-impact one.

As long as you keep an eye on the people around you and the instructor, you should be able to follow along enough to avoid collisions, which is really the only thing that should merit a scowl in my book.

As an aside, the Zumba fitness core game for Xbox Kinect is pretty good for those who don't always want to go to the gym.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:30 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Thanks for the input! My gym has drop in Zumba classes so I can easily try it out once and if I embarrass myself too much I can just not go back to class.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com