| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Comfortable vegan friendly walking/work shoes
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:05 pm 
Tofu Pup

I have never had luck finding a work shoes that is comfortable for being on your feet all day. I know I'll probably have to break down and spend a pretty couple of pennies, but I was wondering what your suggestions might be. I work in a hospital and recently started a new position as hospitality/room service delivering patient trays, menus, stocking floors, picking up said items and I work a 12 hour shift for 3 days straight. What are thee most comfortable shoes for wide feet you could suggest? I hate reading reviews because they always throw you off and you don't wanna' wear a shoes for a whole day not to be able to return it. I have a crappy selection of retailers in my town also. Thanks for reading this even if you cannot help me.

Post subject: Re: Comfortable vegan friendly walking/work shoes
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:23 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Are you allowed to wear sneakers? I love Brooks running shoes. I usually wear Addiction or Ariel (Beast is the men's version). They are motion control for overpronaters, so they offer a lot of support and have a wide toe box. The Addiction walking shoe is leather though (running version isn't).

Otherwise, I really like my crocs for that sort of work. I wore them when I was a server. The were wide enough with a bit of arch support. Plus I could just rinse them off, which was super convenient. I got the plain clogs, no holes or anything. Not terribly fashionable, but definitely comfortable when you're on your feet all day.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:09 pm 
WELFARIST!

I love, love, love Earth shoes. They're expensive and ugly as hell but they're the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn and my work requires me to be on my feet for hours.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:17 pm 
Tofu Pup

Thanks for the input you guys. I saw Ariel somewhere online in my search, but don't remember which shoe. Crocs are definitely super comfortable, but I wear shoes like that out hardcore. I need to put a pedometer on. I swear I do at least 10 miles in a shift and I'm not a nurse. I get mixed reviews on Dansko and their rather pricey, but do have vegan options. They just have to be nonslip or I need to be able to slip a shoes for crews cover over them. I have tried the shoes for crews Frogz and they were kind of awful, but I have bad luck with inserts. I'm a mess. I'll search for the brands suggested for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:25 am 
WRETCHED

I have wide feet and I've walked all day in my Dansko's without a problem. I'm not someone on my feet all day though but nurses do wear them so it may be worth a shot.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:25 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yeah, I have a pair of vegan Danskos and they've lasted me a year and a half at my job. I'm up and about some days fairly often and I've never had issues with my feet with them on. For non-slip, I'm not sure, but I really like them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:45 am 
Seagull of the PPK

when i was teaching HS, and now that I spend a lot of time in factories, i always wore danskos. i've found they're pretty good and my feet are difficult at best. i bought them when i noticed that all of the surgeons who worked on my daughter wore them (and she had at least half a dozen) and i figured they'd be good for me if i was on my feet all day too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:01 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I think Sanita has vegan versions now, too. (They're basically Dansko's but a different brand.) I've heard some people prefer them to Dansko and vice versa. I'd imagine they're good about non-slip as a lot of kitchen people wear them, too. I think hubby preferred Birki's though (the Birkenstock rubber clog). I can't imagine wearing them out, but if you've worn out Crocs, they might not be a good option either.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:56 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I've had a pair of crocs for about six months now and I've definitely worn them out. I'm planning to splurge on Danskos next.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:17 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

My orthopedic surgeon recommended Danskos to me after foot surgery and they are great! They aren't the most fashionable looking shoes ever, but they offer great support and I find them pretty comfortable. I have a pair of the Volleys and a pair of the Vedas.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:34 am 
WRETCHED

ndpittman wrote:
I think Sanita has vegan versions now, too. (They're basically Dansko's but a different brand.) I've heard some people prefer them to Dansko and vice versa. I'd imagine they're good about non-slip as a lot of kitchen people wear them, too. I think hubby preferred Birki's though (the Birkenstock rubber clog). I can't imagine wearing them out, but if you've worn out Crocs, they might not be a good option either.

I have wide feet and I found the Sanita's to be a bit more snug.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:30 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

I am supposed to but don't have to wear nonslip shoes for work. The only vegan options in the 4 or 5 catalogs available to us are Crocs (NO) or Danskos. I don't mind the look of the Danskos, but I've rolled my ankle a lot in the last few years, and with as much as I run around the store, I am too paranoid that I'll fork up my ankle for good.

I ended up ordering some New Balances that everyone else has. Most people I know love them, but they're too...big, bulky, high or something for me. This is the website where we order NBs through work. I have the Black/Black 573s. A little googling confirmed what I was told, that they are vegan. I believe all of the styles on that page are, but you might want to double check.

I wear a pair of Merrill Barefoot Pace Gloves. I like that they're really low clearance, and they look enough like a lot of the approved non-slip shoes that I can get away with them. But they are not non-slip.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:03 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i have found my crocs to be surprisingly not really great in terms of nonslip (except for when they were spanky new).
the danskos are really fantastic for that but they are *high*, and if you're not used to wearing high shoes (and it sounds like you don't like to, even worse) i think the potential for screwing up your ankle is pretty significant. i find they make my feet feel great but they are muscle-wise like wearing a pair of heels. I have to get a new pair (i am still using the pregan pair from 8+ years ago) this year, and much as i think the current vegan selection of black danskos is ugly as dog butt (am i looking in the wrong place??) i will be buying a new pair, i spend a lot of time in factories and on slippery granite floors and Will Not Fall On A Wet Floor Again If I Can Help It Thankyouverymuch.
Can you add a sole to your shoes, or some sort of sticky thing to the sole, that will make them nonslip?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:39 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

torque wrote:
i have found my crocs to be surprisingly not really great in terms of nonslip (except for when they were spanky new).
the danskos are really fantastic for that but they are *high*, and if you're not used to wearing high shoes (and it sounds like you don't like to, even worse) i think the potential for screwing up your ankle is pretty significant. i find they make my feet feel great but they are muscle-wise like wearing a pair of heels. I have to get a new pair (i am still using the pregan pair from 8+ years ago) this year, and much as i think the current vegan selection of black danskos is ugly as dog butt (am i looking in the wrong place??) i will be buying a new pair, i spend a lot of time in factories and on slippery granite floors and Will Not Fall On A Wet Floor Again If I Can Help It Thankyouverymuch.
Can you add a sole to your shoes, or some sort of sticky thing to the sole, that will make them nonslip?

If you want something that is the same as the eight year-old pair of danskos you have, you'll want to buy a pair of Sanitas. Sanita is the original company that made Dansko; the stuff under the Dansko label isn't the same (still good but not great). Unfortunately, all of the Sanita vegan options look like technicolor dog butt.

To answer the above question, I looovee earth shoes for walking but they weren't so great on the job when I worked at Trader Joes (lots of running around, breaking down pallets, etc...the negative heel just threw me off for that kind of work). If Keen still makes vegan options, they're comfortable for running around (but a little flat for walking)...I may not be the best person to offer suggestions. I have really narrow, flat feet. Usually, finding a shoe that isn't too wide trumps the arch support.

Now that I think about it, I might just hate all shoes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:27 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

It's been a few years but I thought J-41s were really great when I had them, and I walk a lot more than most people I know. They make some vegan versions.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:31 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I'm with the Dansko crowd. I wore a pair of vegan danskos at my bakery for over a year until they just got disgusting, but they were insanely comfortable. I would suggest putting some coat over the top if you work with food because they get dirty quick.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:44 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I work in healthcare and alternate between crocs Neria Work and Merrell Pace Gloves. I probably don't do as much walking as you, but I've had the crocs for a few months and there are no signs of breakdown. I did have to order a full size up, but they are pretty wide.

If you decide on any Merrell shoes, get ones that come in wide because they definitely do not run wide. Mine are regular width and I had to hack the lacing system as it didn't open enough to fit comfortably over my instep, and my feet aren't really all that wide--I do have a high/thick instep. I'm also not too happy with the longevity -- there is a hole the sole and I've had them for about a year and a half, wearing them about every other day.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:19 pm 
Saggy Butt

I just got the two pairs of Merrells I ordered in the mail today. Super cute, and I love that they clearly mark the vegan shoes on their website. I'm going to NYC for a few days and hope these will be comfortable for walking around in all day. Finding shoes is, for me, the most challenging part of being vegan, so I'm really happy I found these. Now if only I could find comfortable, low heel pumps....

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:22 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

torque wrote:
I have to get a new pair (i am still using the pregan pair from 8+ years ago) this year, and much as i think the current vegan selection of black danskos is ugly as dog butt (am i looking in the wrong place??) i will be buying a new pair, i spend a lot of time in factories and on slippery granite floors and Will Not Fall On A Wet Floor Again If I Can Help It Thankyouverymuch.

I wish they made vegan Mary Janes! The Jades were my favorite and were perfect for my feet and back. I am a big fan of clunky thick soled shoes, though, and not into the sneakery ones they have right now.