| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Daiya Slices!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:13 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

ndpittman wrote:
Tofutti frozen pizza reminds me of classic frozen pizza or something, like Stouffer's.

it's exactly like the pizza they served when I was in elementary school. I want to eat it on a little sectioned tray with applesauce and some gross canned carrots and peas.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:42 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Quarantined wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
Tofutti frozen pizza reminds me of classic frozen pizza or something, like Stouffer's.

it's exactly like the pizza they served when I was in elementary school. I want to eat it on a little sectioned tray with applesauce and some gross canned carrots and peas.
Yeah, I love that shiitake. I like to chop up some of those Dominex frozen eggplant slices and put it on top with a few shakes of black pepper and basil. So trashy; so good.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:43 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Yeah, tofutti is good if you want the cheap pizza experience. I'm excited for the mushroom and garlic pizza because that's a little different and I never really liked the tofutti cream cheese (but cream cheese was never my favorite thing anyways), so maybe i'll like this one. There is a strawberry cream cheese by the 'Vegan' brand that I like, but it just tastes like spreadable yogurt.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:55 pm 
WELFARIST!

I am definitely not a fan of rice crust for pizza and the Amy's vegan pizza is so sad. That pizza costs double what I'd have to pay for one bag of daiya yet it's tiny, doesn't taste very good and has a light, barely noticeable dusting of daiya on it. I will go with my cheaper-to-equally expensive home made pizza that has almost an entire bag of daiya on it and a kickass crust. Also not a fan of overpriced, tiny pizzas.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:06 pm 

I buy the tofurkey pizzas about once every 28 days, and i've only had the teeny Amy's vegan pizza once because that's all I can get here. I agree that it was kind of sad, definitely not worth turning the oven on for.

There's a GF company called Ian's that has a vegan french bread pizza, Mejier carried it for about two months and then stopped, even though I was purposely buying them a lot to make sure they stayed. They were no Stouffers french bread pizzas, but they were still pretty good and had a good amount of cheese.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:17 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Wait, the Ian's french bread pizzas are vegan?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:25 pm 
WRETCHED

Yeah, I bought one not that long ago from Giant. They remind me of the toffuti pizzas kind of. I like the cheese on it better than Daiya, I think the box said they use Galaxy shreds.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:28 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

ndpittman wrote:
Wait, the Ian's french bread pizzas are vegan?

yeah, I've seen them at Stop and Shop in Somerville, I think some Whole Foods might carry them too. They're not that great, pretty skimpy. Last time I had one was a few years ago and I think then it was made with FYH, but not sure what cheese they use now.

ETA: I just looked it up and they just list it as soy cheese in the ingredients so it's definitely not Daiya, not sure if it's their own recipe as I'm too lazy to go google FYH's ingredients to compare.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:31 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

linanil wrote:
Yeah, I bought one not that long ago from Giant. They remind me of the toffuti pizzas kind of. I like the cheese on it better than Daiya, I think the box said they use Galaxy shreds.

doh totally missed your post about the cheese shreds.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:53 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I love the Ian's French bread pizzas. I've only ever seen them at the discount grocery store around here (have seen other Ian's pizzas at WF, but only the pepperoni ones), and haven't seen them in a while. I went through a phase where I ate one (or I guess one box. . . so two mini pizzas) for lunch every day and never got sick of them. Boooo. . . now I really want them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:00 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Meijer quit carrying the Ian's French Bread Pizza when they rearranged their organic and GF frozen sections and combined them into one. There is currently an empty shelf in this section and has been for over a month, and I did notice that they have re-added the Amy's Spinach non-dairy GF pizza that they also quit carrying, so I'm hoping one of the things that will be filling the empty shelf is the Ian's French Bread Pizza.

They are also out of the Amy's vegan mac and cheese at the moment. :\

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:33 pm 

See. our Meijer wasn't super-vegan-friendly for a long time, like they had Boca and MSF and that shiitake, but then they did that combo section and added a lot more Amy's products and Gardein (and the Ian's pizza) and started carrying So Delicious coconut products again, but they immediately dropped a few. They replaced the So Delicious with forking LACTAID ice cream and only kept the sandwiches.

Sometimes the person who stocks the frozen section mixes the vegan Amy's mac n cheese and the regular GF ones together and I have to dig for a vegan one.

But anyway, soon i'll be moving to a Mejier-less place, but they carry Daiya at the Kroger's so i'm actually hoping the slices and stuff will push out those nasty Veggie Shreds and company.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:55 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

linanil wrote:

Which Giant? I need to investigate this further!

Pretty much all the vegan cheeses make my husband sick, so it's up to me to buy and eat them all. I still big puffy sparkly heart Cheezly, but I'll take whatever I can get.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:34 pm 
WRETCHED

designedtobekind wrote:
linanil wrote:

Which Giant? I need to investigate this further!

Pretty much all the vegan cheeses make my husband sick, so it's up to me to buy and eat them all. I still big puffy sparkly heart Cheezly, but I'll take whatever I can get.

I think either along Father Hurley should have it but this one was Father Hurley and Middlebrook. I think the Father Hurley/355 Giant may have more vegan stuff though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:54 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

so when do these new daiya products come out?

i was gonna say i wanted a tofutti pizza to try and then i remembered ive had them. do not like.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:11 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Tofutti pizzas are super gross, except when they are delicious.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:15 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

dammit you guys, i am making a nice dinner tonight and now all i want is french bread pizza.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:15 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

lavawitch wrote:

which is every time you eat one!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:24 pm 
WRETCHED

Yeah the tofutti pizzas are what you buy when you want gross tasting pizza, and I say that in a good way. I've only tried them once though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:26 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

They are weird that way. I've had them when not expressly in the mood and had trouble choking it down. Then, when craving the hell out of one, it's like the best thing ever. They definitely need to be overbaked.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:04 pm 
WELFARIST!

lavawitch wrote:

This pretty much sums up Toffuti pizza.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:09 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

mrsbadmouth wrote:
See. our Meijer wasn't super-vegan-friendly for a long time, like they had Boca and MSF and that shiitake, but then they did that combo section and added a lot more Amy's products and Gardein (and the Ian's pizza) and started carrying So Delicious coconut products again, but they immediately dropped a few. They replaced the So Delicious with forking LACTAID ice cream and only kept the sandwiches.

Sometimes the person who stocks the frozen section mixes the vegan Amy's mac n cheese and the regular GF ones together and I have to dig for a vegan one.

But anyway, soon i'll be moving to a Mejier-less place, but they carry Daiya at the Kroger's so i'm actually hoping the slices and stuff will push out those nasty Veggie Shreds and company.

We have one Meijer that is more vegan friendly than the other. When the vegan mac & cheese first appeared, I honestly thought it was because someone had ordered the wrong thing to restock the GF mac & cheese and I bought 4 of them thinking it would be the only time I would ever see them. They have been a regular item since then..there were 6 one day a couple of weeks ago and then 2 days later there were NONE. Now the natural foods store across the street is almost out of them too. (And I had to pay $5 each for two of them on Wednesday. Yes, had to...it was a mac and cheese emergency in our house and not on my part, and said party deserved it, so I bought it.) Obviously it's a popular product in this area, which I find interesting. Maybe the GF/DF kids. The other Meijer has the frozen products, but not as much of the shelf stable stuff (Organicville salad dressings and such), and NO tofu or Lightlife at all.

Our Krogers/JayC have gotten weird with Daiya. They don't all carry shreds now...a couple have nothing at all and another couple of them only carry the cheddar wedge. There are 2 stores that carry the shreds in two flavors and 2 wedges.

My vegan friendly Meijer carries almost the entire Schar bread line in the GF aisle so that is awesome. I'm also hoping for their new frozen bagels to come into the empty shelf in the freezer. As far as I know they are the only vegan GF premade bagels out there now.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:25 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Insufferable Vegan got to taste the daiya slices at the Natural Products Expo.

Quote:
I am sorry to say that I cannot be so positive about the new Swiss cheese singles, nor the Provolone. These tasted nothing like Swiss or Provolone, and I mean not even a tiny amount. They were both pretty flavorless, with a chalky, powdery texture. No wonder they were serving them only in sandwiches, with bread and lettuce to hide the nastiness (though when I asked for a piece of each of them plain, they obliged me). I really have no idea why Daiya decided to release these when they’re clearly not good enough yet but oh well, at least the pizzas are killer. The pizzas, by the way, are coming in August, while the cream cheeses and new Swiss, Provolone, and Cheddar slices all arrive in April.

Full post here.

I don't care, I'm still buying it. It's gonna get smothered in russian dressing reubens any way.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:53 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Well, everyone has different taste in vegan cheese. I want so bad to like Teese, but it tastes like puke flavored tofu to me, and Insufferable Vegan likes Teese. So I will still try the Daiya slices as soon as I can find them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:55 pm 
WELFARIST!

Agreed (but I like Teese)! I always like to try new vegan stuff on my own regardless of the negative feedback from others.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next