| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Stay Classy San Diego
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:33 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

May the deployment pass quickly, Annak!
Mr. Sz is finally coming home this weekend after a year overseas.
It will be over before you know it!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:45 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Annak- I could do a weekday meetup depending on time, and my 3 year old would be with me, so you wouldn't be the only one with a kid. I can't take my 5 year old there though, so we can only go when she is at school.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:54 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I'm down to meet up whenever I'm in town. I'll be traveling for the next two weeks, but don't have any plans till June after that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:30 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

My sister just told me Veggie Grill is coming to UTC.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:16 am 
Huffs Nooch

Hey everybody,

Next year I'll be doing an external rotation for veterinary school at the San Diego Zoo, but I'm not sure where the best place to look for temporary housing might be. Craig's List isn't giving me any good leads. If anyone knows a better website to check out, I'm going to be in San Diego for just 3 weeks next March. I don't really intend to start ironing anything out until later this year, but I'm applying for travel scholarships and I'm trying to calculate out a budget for room & board for application purposes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:27 am 
Nooch of Earl

For just 3 weeks, I would consider a Residence Inn or ExtendedStay type place. You might be able to find a short-term sublet or vacation rental closer to Hillcrest or North Park, though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:37 pm 

Since the thread has been bumped: Whoa. Donuts and beer at TigerTiger, totally awesome.

Camuscando: Welcome in advance! Will you have transpo? Hillcrest and North Park are great and within easy bicycling to the zoo. A bit farther east will be less expensive. Maybe check the San Diego Reader?
http://www.sandiegoreader.com/classifieds/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:46 pm 

So, this is coming up this weekend. I'll be in Palm Springs, but I thought others might be interested.
https://www.facebook.com/events/291294711002322/

If you don't feel like clicking the link, it's the Spring Veg Festival, Sat Apr 27 from 3-7pm at Hess Brewing 7955 Silverton Ave #1201.

Facebook wrote:
Join fellow vegans from throughout San Diego for a Shindig featuring food, drinks, and music at the #1 ranked (vegan) Brewery in the county!

Southern Fried Vegan will be there with a very special menu for the occasion. (Menu Details are coming)

Stephanie's Bakery and Cafe will also be there offering up Shindig special treats.

The Yes Team will be on hand playing incredible music.

50/50 Raffle for Compassion Over Killing

Plus More!!

Event starts at 3pm.
Music starts at 4pm.

Dogs are welcome!

Brought to you by San Diego Veg Festival
and Southern Fried Vegan.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:37 pm 
Huffs Nooch

~Sz wrote:
Since the thread has been bumped: Whoa. Donuts and beer at TigerTiger, totally awesome.

Camuscando: Welcome in advance! Will you have transpo? Hillcrest and North Park are great and within easy bicycling to the zoo. A bit farther east will be less expensive. Maybe check the San Diego Reader?
http://www.sandiegoreader.com/classifieds/

No transportation, but I'm considering having my bike shipped if the area is bikeable. Will check out the link. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:05 pm 

camuscando wrote:
. . .if the area is bikeable.

San Diego is getting more bikeable by the day!

Here's a bike map: http://www.icommutesd.com/bike/bikemap.aspx There is some download you need to view the interactive map but you can also scroll down to .pdfs. Also, I'm sure they will mail you a nice hard copy map; there's a link there somewhere. The bike shops here also have the map.

While there are not many separate dedicated bike-only paths that are useful for commuting, the bike lanes and bike routes are definitely improved. We now have a couple of green lanes and some sharrows on main east-west routes (El Cajon Blvd; Adams Ave) which connect North Park to points east (where living is a bit cheaper.) Lots of people commute by bike in this area and you'll see plenty of groups of riders on weekend mornings out and about the town.

The San Diego Bicycle Coalition is an active advocacy group that also has some info: http://www.sdcbc.org/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:47 pm 
Nooch of Earl

My husband's been hit on his way to work, and a good friend of ours got run over by a bus while cycling in to work. Ugh.

Hubby still commutes by bicycle (well, when he's around, he's deployed now) and it makes me worry like crazy. We got spoiled living in Amsterdam, where the idea of what constitutes a bike lane is fundamentally different.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:55 am 
WRETCHED

I arrived last night and convinced my parents to take us to Native foods. It was pretty good and we plan to go back. My stepfather didn't complain much except he likes humongous portions.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:44 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

yay native foods! your family lives in north county, right? that's so awesome for you!

Have your stepdad get the nachos next time? They are ridiculously huge and SO good!

::edited::

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:51 am 
WRETCHED

Yeah, they are in north county. My stepdad was drooling from seeing someone who got nachos near us. He was also impressed with the raw salad but I doubt he'd like that :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:33 pm 

Welcome! How long are you in town for?!?!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:07 pm 
WRETCHED

We are here for a little over a week.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:21 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Would anyone be interested in splitting a bulk order of soy curls? I am coveting this giant bag:

http://www.amazon.com/Butler-Soy-Curls- ... =soy+curls

And it would put the price at less than half of the individual bag. But 12 lb is a LOT of soy curls, so I'm interested in splitting it since I'll probably be moving next spring and otherwise I'll be padding my glassware with soy curls when the time comes. I live in Normal Heights but could probably arrange a reasonable drop-off point. The cost would be (including the amazon shipping cost), assuming I'm calculating this right, $7.83/pound - less than what they charge for an individual 8oz bag, so it's half as much that way.

ETA: forgetting sales tax, if there is any here on food, so maybe a little more. I'm not trying to rip anyone off or make a profit, I just want soy curls at less than $8/bag.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:02 pm 

I am interested in trying soy curls but not sure about committing to a large amount.
Everyone raves though . . .

Linanil! I am on your coast while you are on my coast!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:11 am 
WRETCHED

I figured I'd report back as we are now home once again :) We went to Native Foods 4 times I think. My stepfather (total omni) was a fan. My husband thought it was a little salty but we aren't used to eating out so much. We went to Lotus Cafe and we weren't really a fan, it was ok but definitely not a place I'd choose to go with other options. We went to Ranchos for breakfast before going to the airport which I like Ranchos already but nice to have a breakfast option. Also, we went to Plumeria, which is a vegetarian Thai place (in/near Hillcrest? - I'm not too good about distinguishing areas in SD proper). My stepfather was also a fan of Plumeria. I'd love to go back there because it is nice to have multiple options at a Thai place and they clearly marked vegan items/options on the menu.

Also, it has been many years since I've been to Hillcrest but driving around the area, I really liked it. I told my husband that if we move back, that seems like an area to look at to live in. One of his primary concerns is having my parents just drop in if we live close by but that would be far enough to prevent that on a regular basis.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:57 pm 

Hillcrest is very awesome but also quite pricey. Our realtor wouldn't even show us any places there back in 97. I do love it though, everything I love is there. (Whole Foods and Indian food.) (And Landmark theatres and the area's very best farmers' market.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:42 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Lotus Cafe is my son's favorite restaurant, but that's because he is obsessed with car washes and you can sit and watch the car wash while you eat. (He is 3.) I always get a tiny bit sad when he chooses there. The food is ok, but with how rarely we go out to eat, I prefer something a bit better than ok.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:40 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
I heard Lotus was actually closing, cant say I am surprised as it tasted like vegan cafeteria food...although their super dense yummy peanut butter cupcake was stellar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:51 pm 

HEY ADAM! It was so fun to meet you at Monkey Paw! Did you try the sandwich?!?!?

Those waffle fries were awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:40 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
~Sz wrote:
HEY ADAM! It was so fun to meet you at Monkey Paw! Did you try the sandwich?!?!?

Those waffle fries were awesome.

Hey Sz. It was fun to meet you too. That sandwich ruled. I never did the beer pairing because I gobbled my sandwich down so quickly. Definitely a cool night and the rescue got some money for it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:58 pm 

Not food-related, or even vegan-related (except that there's a vegan in the show), but I couldn't think of another place to post it.
I'm in a show! "Miss Kitty's Wild West Revue" at the Diversionary Theatre, Aug 15-18. The theatre is just down the street from Plumeria, so you could even make it a dinner and a show sort of evening. The show is fairly vulgar comedy with partial male nudity, so if that's not your thing, I totally get it. But if you know someone who might enjoy it, I'd be much obliged if you could pass the info on.

FB Event Page: https://www.facebook.com/events/153968978127261/

Tickets: https://web.ovationtix.com/trs/cal/33385/1375401600000

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next