| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Earth Balance Tastes Weird Now
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:46 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I picked up two containers of the soy free EB for holiday baking. Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:01 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

jdfunks wrote:
I picked up two containers of the soy free EB for holiday baking. Fingers crossed.

The last 3-4 tubs I've purchased of the soy-free have been totally fine. I think they fixed it!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:50 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

apparently i go through a 45 oz tub in 2 months WITHOUT using it for baking. good to know. (i do love toast)

so i took one for the team, and got another big tub. i've been using it for toast, and it seems fine. i'll let you know how it acts in cookies. (the outside of the cookie should protect the flax oil on the inside from getting too hot and becoming denatured. but then there's a large relative surface area on cookies as opposed to cupcakes and such.) :-/

here's the code on my tub: nov 05 13 M7 20:51

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:03 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

All the stuff I've had has tasted bad from the start. It didn't go bad in baked goods.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:09 am 
And you never will.

Every time I see this thread I get scared. I seriously go through 2-3 pounds a WEEK and would be so royally screwed if the stuff I'm buying started tasting bad.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:34 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I might have to move to memphis...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:51 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i've been lucky so far with my EB buttery sticks. however, i did buy another pack a couple of days ago, fingers crossed the flax in it has not gone rancid!

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:18 pm 

so how is your earth balance lately? i'm going to buy another few tubs this weekend, and i want to know if i need to taste it before heading home. (i also want to pass the news along to cookie bakers at the cookie brigade whether they should still avoid it, since PAX east is in 2 weeks.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:35 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm only buying the soy free right now since it tastes better. I bought a regular tub from whole foods last month and it was gross.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:48 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

well i bought some whipped a day or so ago, haven't opened it up yet, but i believe you clarified that the whipped doesn't have the flax seed oil so then there is no chance for rancidity.

i haven't went though my EB sticks yet, but i did notice, that i wasn't having problems because at least 2 different times my lot numbers were exactly the same. i guess i don't really use a lot of EB sticks. the baking recipes i use tend to naturally use oil..... fingers crossed this issue has been resolved.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:49 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Most of the time I use Becel's vegan margarine instead of Earth Balance in order to avoid trans fats, so I was very confused today when I saw Earth Balance advertising its products on its website as having no trans fat. I mean, the trans fat content is written right on the containers I see in the stores!

By searching further, I found out that Canada (where I live) doesn't have the same regulations as the US concerning trans fats. So in the US, Earth Balance is allowed saying its products have no trans fats, but in Canada, they must indicate there is trans fat if there is at least 0,1 g of it by portion. Which means Canada considers even 0,1 g to be cause for concern (which fits with what I read before to the effect that trans fat is dangerous even in very small doses).

Just an explanation in case someone else gets confused like I was :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:46 am 
Tofu Pup

Does anyone know if this problem has been resolved?

I moved to Europe 2 years ago and have been missing Earth Balance. I never had any problems with it and usually got the original in a tub, though sometimes whipped or soy-free.

My sister is now visiting Florida and I wanted to ask her to bring back a big batch of the original buttery sticks, plus a variety of the various tubs. I can't really remember now the difference in taste between them all, or the differences in how they react to different recipes! But now I'm worried since she'll be buying in bulk, so that's a lot of money and effort to waste is the product tastes rancid. Anyone had more recent experience with this?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:39 am 

the original in the giant tubs taste perfectly fine, and i also got an original in the smaller tub, and that also seemed fine.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:47 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Is that stuff going to travel ok? does/doesnt it need to be refrigerated? I'd also worry about traveling with it in the heat...she wont be allowed it in her carryon (its liquid-y ish so i dont think it would be allowed on), and if it is in her luggage is it going to end up soft and smushed and or meltling all over other stuff? if shes sticking it in her luggage i would put the buttery sticks in leakproof tupperware but still potentially be prepared for a mess, and i would make sure the tubs are individually ziplock bagged and maybe rubber banded and taped shut. id still be concerned about them getting beat around though and ending up opening up or such and you losing your eb into the zip loc bag. could make a mighty mess. eb is really tasty but have you tried the vegan butter recipe on vegan baking.net? its pretty tasty too and could save a lot of hassle and mess..?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:15 pm 
Nooch of Earl

We had relatives bring EB sticks to Holland for us a bunch. The outside temperature is usually really cold in flight, so the checked luggage seems to stay cool. I had them freeze it first, then stuck it in the freezer except for one box at a time. Never had any kind of a problem.

Of course, this was in the days before the flax silliness. My guess is, if it was OK before the plane trip it will probably be OK afterwards if it's frozen and maybe stashed in one of those zipping soft cooler bags in checked luggage.

I couldn't stand the sunflower oil margarine that was so ubiquitous, so it helped.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:35 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

MJ0911 wrote:
Does anyone know if this problem has been resolved?

I moved to Europe 2 years ago and have been missing Earth Balance. I never had any problems with it and usually got the original in a tub, though sometimes whipped or soy-free.

My sister is now visiting Florida and I wanted to ask her to bring back a big batch of the original buttery sticks, plus a variety of the various tubs. I can't really remember now the difference in taste between them all, or the differences in how they react to different recipes! But now I'm worried since she'll be buying in bulk, so that's a lot of money and effort to waste is the product tastes rancid. Anyone had more recent experience with this?

Thanks!

for me, the past couple of tubs of regular (not whipped, not organic) EB have been fine. bought a big one and a little one. haven't bought the sticks in awhile since, as super carrot mentioned to me, the texture/consistency of the butter in the tub is nicer than the sticks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8