| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Hearty Vegan Meals for Monster Appetites
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:34 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

We just made the Five Cheese Baked Mac & Cheese and OMG! It's so creamy & delicious. We both loved the Walnut Parmesan topping & the tofu ricotta.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:20 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I am still loving this cookbook and using it so much :) The other day I made the meatloaf (I think it's called I Would Do Anything for Meatloaf) and we both loved it--made the asparagus and mushroom gravy to go with it as the recipe recommends. The texture of the meatloaf was perfect--toothy yet still savory and hearty, and did not fall apart at all like some lentil or nut loaf recipes do.

With the leftover loaf we had, I sliced it up and used some leftover fry coating mix I had from making their fried 'chicken' recipe to batter the slices and pan fry them. I used the fried slices to made sandwiches and we devoured that too!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:25 am 
Inflexitarian

hopshackgirl wrote:
I am still loving this cookbook and using it so much :) The other day I made the meatloaf (I think it's called I Would Do Anything for Meatloaf) and we both loved it--made the asparagus and mushroom gravy to go with it as the recipe recommends. The texture of the meatloaf was perfect--toothy yet still savory and hearty, and did not fall apart at all like some lentil or nut loaf recipes do.

Well, you may have just sold me on this book. I've been longing for a meatloaf recipe that actually has a good texture (not mushy or crumbly) for ages!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:29 am 

quark wrote:
Well, you may have just sold me on this book. I've been longing for a meatloaf recipe that actually has a good texture (not mushy or crumbly) for ages!

For real, it was perfect! I highly recommend this book--if you like hearty, savory meals even just occasionally I think you'll find a ton of things to try. There is a recipe for a breakfast scramble bowl with gravy and tater tots that we still make practically every weekend!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:15 pm 
Nailed to the V

Whoa, the Ultimate Patty Melts are so good! We went to the trouble of making all the components: Garlic Onion Mayo, Smoky Pub Cheese, the patties, and then we used Green Monster Rolls from the Vegan Sandwiches book. It was the best lunch I've had in a long time. Lots of work, but well worth it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:04 am 
Saggy Butt

Has anyone else made the Go Bananas Bread? There didn't seem nearly enough mixture for the 2 loaves the recipe says it'll make. I've ended up with 2 very flat loaves. :(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:14 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I picked up this book while we were on vacation, and now that I'm flipping through it I am super bummed. I cannot stand cream cheese, sour cream, or yogurt, and it seems like the vast majority of these recipes call for those things. And I won't deep fry anything, I always look for ways to bake recipes that call for frying. But I'm going to flip through this thread for recommendations before I write this book off completely, it seems to be well loved in the ppk universe!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:12 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

There are lots of recipes that don't call for those things! They don't really taste like themselves once they're mixed with stuff though. It's definitely not a health food book. Check out the recipes with the low fat icon. Or low cal? I can't remember, but they're in there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:23 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Thanks, creep, I got some great ideas for recipes to try from reading the recs in this thread. I don't mind using oil when I'm cooking, I just tend to prefer baked foods to fried. Before I was vegan I never liked cream cheese or sour cream either, so I'm perhaps extra hesitant to use them in recipes. But I will be brave and give it a go! I'm especially interested in the breakfast bowl a few people have mentioned. : )

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:55 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

dakini wrote:
I picked up this book while we were on vacation, and now that I'm flipping through it I am super bummed. I cannot stand cream cheese, sour cream, or yogurt, and it seems like the vast majority of these recipes call for those things. And I won't deep fry anything, I always look for ways to bake recipes that call for frying. But I'm going to flip through this thread for recommendations before I write this book off completely, it seems to be well loved in the ppk universe!

This is one of my favourite cookbooks even though I don't have access to cream cheese etc. and never deep fry things. There are many recipes you can make!

The soups and stews are wonderful and I often make big batches of the mulligatawny soup and the lentil and bacon pot o stew. The mulligatawny can be made without yoghurt. The patatas bravas frittata is great, even if you don't use the cheese. The chorizo and potato lasagna bake is very delicious and doesn't call for anything you mentioned. I love the TVP pepperoni on pizza and use it quite often. Oh and those walnut parmesan sprinkles, they are addictive. And there is the absolutely wonderful parmigiana recipe! Even if that was the only recipe I had ever made from that book - it would still be worth the money. It's exactly like the parmigiana we used to make pre-vegan. It is so good! And no store bought ingredients called for. And you can bake the eggplants instead of frying them.

And of course Celine's desserts. They are just amazing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:15 pm 
Huffs Nooch

dakini wrote:

I'm not a big fan of those items either, but I will go out of my way to use them in certain recipes. From this book, for example, I love the PB and OM Muffins, which call for yogurt. This is my favorite muffin recipe, ever, and the only fat in the recipe is peanut butter.

I think this book has an interesting mix of recipes, with some being a bit more decadent than others. I might not reach for it everyday, like I do AFR, but it has some unique recipes. I really like the massaged kale recipe, Kale with a Kick, and the Kale Bagels and the Chocolate Stout Chili, among others.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:53 pm 
Nailed to the V

KrisB wrote:
dakini wrote:

I'm not a big fan of those items either, but I will go out of my way to use them in certain recipes. From this book, for example, I love the PB and OM Muffins, which call for yogurt. This is my favorite muffin recipe, ever, and the only fat in the recipe is peanut butter.

I think this book has an interesting mix of recipes, with some being a bit more decadent than others. I might not reach for it everyday, like I do AFR, but it has some unique recipes. I really like the massaged kale recipe, Kale with a Kick, and the Kale Bagels and the Chocolate Stout Chili, among others.

KrisB, all the recipes you mentioned are pretty great, I agree. I just dusted this book off the other day to make the Peanut Butter Pretzels and the Easy(or Creamy? Can't remember) Cheesy Sauce. Both are pretty awesome. Especially used together!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:20 am 
Huffs Nooch

Oh, Beethecookie, I have to try the Peanut Butter Pretzels!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:23 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I tried the funnel cake a few days ago and it ended up tasting eggy.... Wasn't a big fan. I think it was probably my fault, though. No idea what went wrong though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:31 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Buuuuump.

I made the tofuevos rancheros for brunch this morning. The sauce was SO GOOD. The "egg" part was pretty much the same as the "scrambled eggs" in the breakfast bowl recipe, iirc, and was also good.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:41 pm 
Nailed to the V

How funny, I used this book today too! I made the Garlic Knots; delicious! Except I realize now that I suck at forming dough knots so mine turned out more like Garlic Pinwheels. So good.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:42 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Love Child wrote:
The beefy cheesy mac is my new favorite food! It reminds me a bit of my mom's meat sauce with ground beef and tomato and cream and cheese in it which I loved when I was omni. But this is actually tastier!

I made this recipe because of the recommendations, and I liked it, but I didn't love it because I don't love the taste of turmeric, and they call for enough that you can taste it, and not just see the lovely colour. So if you're like me, add half the turmeric.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:34 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

The sweet and salty oatmeal granola is too good. I was going to have it for my breakfast this week but my mother and I can't stop eating it. It will probably be gone by Tuesday.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:41 am 

I bought this book ages ago but am yet to make anything from it because every recipe that appeals to me has some ingredient you can't get over here (soy curls, dairy-free sour cream, pumpkin puree, tempeh, masa harina flour for example). I think I need to re-scan it though and just make something else. The pictures in this book are just beautiful.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:40 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Rosie wrote:
I bought this book ages ago but am yet to make anything from it because every recipe that appeals to me has some ingredient you can't get over here (soy curls, dairy-free sour cream, pumpkin puree, tempeh, masa harina flour for example). I think I need to re-scan it though and just make something else. The pictures in this book are just beautiful.

The Roasted Broccatato soup is great

π

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:03 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Rosie wrote:

You can make your own sour cream and depending on the recipe soy curls and tempeh could be replaced with another protein. I have a couple recipes that I replace tempeh with commercial "sausage" patties crumbled up, for example.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6