| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 607 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: What did you make for your baby/toddler to eat today?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:05 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Clean out the fridge Tofu scramble and these sausages

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/s ... age-links/

Which apparently are like crack for toddlers based on her reaction.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:31 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Butternut wrote:
Clean out the fridge Tofu scramble and these sausages

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/s ... age-links/

Which apparently are like crack for toddlers based on her reaction.

:D
My homemade sausages were like the gateway food to solids with Raygold. He didn't really eat much unless I made the sausages, and then he would gorge himself.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:16 am 
Semen Strong

Ha! I'll have to try them! Thanks for the recommendation!

We had waffles and tofu scramble for brunch and lentils for dinner. She also had a big smoothie for dinner, which she asks for by saying "Nana!" and then making Vitamix sounds.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:35 pm 
Semen Strong

Leela must be going through a growth spurt, because she is eating SO much. Its so funny how its feast or famine with her.

She loves the Trader Joe's organic pre-cooked lentils, and has been eating them by the spoonful.

Breakfast was lentil scramble (lentils, butternut and zucchini) on Ezekiel toast with about a half cube of avocado and nooch. She finished that and then asked for a smoothie, which she had a few tablespoons off (and now refuses to have any more so that is fun).

Lunch: TJ's masala burger (Surprised me bc I thought it was too spicy for her), broccoli and corn muffins, with added lentils on the side, which she pulled out of the fridge and is eating.

Dinner: Probably more lentils and more avocado on corn tortillas.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:15 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Zeph is eight months now, and he's really working on his pincer grip, so I feel like it's getting quite a bit easier to feed him different things. Today is kinda meh, because we've been using up every last bit in the fridge and haven't gone grocery shopping for a while. (Later today though! Time to stock up on everything.) So!

Breakfast: cereal and a bite of toast.
Lunch: pear oatmeal. He absolutely LOVES this. I have never seen him eat so fast!

Dinner will probably be the tofu scramble with greens I meant to make last night but didn't.

[-Also, I love reading what everyone else feeds their kids! It's so interesting. I think I'll have to try those sausages with Iz. He is super picky, even though he's tried so many things over and over. Not a fan of green anything (except occasionally broccoli), sauces, or things mixed together.]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:31 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

What I made for kai today:
Oatmeal with strawberry applesauce
Pinto bean loaf with weelicious veggie nuggets (used egg replacer + a bit of mustard instead of egg wash)
Moose shaped pasta with tomato sauce & melted daiya + avocado cubes

What kai ate today:
3 bites of oatmeal
1/4 cup happy creamies snack
2 small bananas
Pretzel chips

Arrrgh.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:47 pm 
Semen Strong

L had lentils and avocado for dinner and then asked for pasta. So I made her a second dinner bc she seemed hungry. And then she had a bite or two and I was left with the decision of whether to eat it or chuck it. So I ate it. This is probably why I'm having a hard time losing weight.

I probably consume 1,000 extra calories of leftovers a day.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:06 pm 
Semen Strong

Breakfast: tofu scramble (tofu, peppers, apples and kale) on a pumpkin seed Ciabatta roll (had a few bites) and a smoothie (had a bit)
Lunch: TJ's dumplings (ate 2) and green beans.
Snack: Speculoos cookies and milk
Dinner: Mushroom pasta

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:02 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Zeph had:
for breakfast - a few tastes of peanut butter banana oatmeal. Not too interested, just wanted to play instead.
lunch - Two small pieces from my spinach/daiya quesadilla and part of a banana.
dinner - probably a few bites from my bowl - a roasted broccoli, cauliflower, chickpea bowl with lemon-tahini sauce.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:01 am 
Semen Strong

Yesterday: Oatmeal and dried fruit with almond milk (not so interested)
Lunch: Trader Joe's Mandarin Morsels over brown rice with added broccoli
Dinner: Veg News Mac & Cheese, which was a total hit.
Snacks: Flax tortilla chips with Cheese sauce, celery, freeze-dried bloobs

Today for breakfast we had fried potatoes and lentils with chard and she is loving it. We get the TJ's prepared lentils and she'll just house them.

I think I might make a big batch of Veg News cheesey sauce, that stuff is delicious and an easy way for us to add fat.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:19 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Tofulish wrote:
So I ate it. This is probably why I'm having a hard time losing weight.

I probably consume 1,000 extra calories of leftovers a day.

I read somewhere once, and they were probably talking about baby weight, how you should never eat any food off of your kid's plate....yet I end up making the same decision as you daily. Oh well! I always think about that as I'm doing it though, haha.

My little guy is sort of sick, but has mainly just been exhausted and not hungry. He had some strawberries, grapefruit, and cereal for breakfast, and has been asleep now since noon ( and we got up after 9!). We are having pizza for dinner with sweet potato purée and kale pesto, so try and convince him to a) eat and b) eat something that isn't fruit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:02 pm 
Semen Strong

Your son is so cute! Sorry he's feeling sick and I hope he feels better soon! Pizza is an awesome diner! This is our go to if L is sick: http://www.theppk.com/2010/12/chickpea- ... h-cabbage/

If this is useful, I'm now trying to take Lavawitch's advice from another thread, and boxing up leftovers right off the stove. We share one serving, and if she wants more, then I open up the container and give her a wee bit. And I've been cooking stuff that is heavy on the veg/lower cal and just adding extra fat to her portion -avocado, coconut oil etc.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:16 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

hey someone in this thread had some luck using weelicious for ideas (Aubade, maybe). If anyone can point me to specific recipes they've tried from there, or online elsewhere, I'd love it. All the ones I seem drawn to are eggy but both my kids are voracious these days and I feel like we need to mix it up more.
and Tofulish, that VegNews mac-n-cheese is hands down the winner for us and we've tried a bunch of different recipes! I don't bake it though, and I use a variation (from Bittersweet Vegan I think) that swaps the Earth Balance for canola oil and adds nooch.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:30 pm 
Semen Strong

Yes, I doubled the sauce bc idji posted to in a thread and cut the oil (1/4 cup EVOO for a double portion) and left out the breadcrumbs, and it was SO good! I tried baking it in muffin tins which was a fail, prob because of all the veg but it was really tasty.

Today we had breakfast lentils and potatoes over toast and EB. She ate some of the lentils, none of the toast. I love toast like its donuts, so I ate hers.
For lunch we had TJ's dumplings and broccoli in a sunflower butter sauce (1 Tbsp sunflower butter, 2 Tbsp soy sauce, 1 tsp sugar and no oil) and I made the Masala veggie burger as well. It was so good.

I am at a loss for dinner though!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:57 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Tlish, are those the Thai vegetable dumplings in the green bag? Dahlia LOVES them and I actually fed a little of one to Sierra and she nommed it too. A little surprising because they're kinda gingery but yum.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:54 pm 
Semen Strong

They are so good! They have 80 calories a piece (not counting the oil you use to fry them), so now that I'm tracking my calories, I can't just fry the whole bag in oil and eat them with abandon like I used to. Stupid knowledge. It has also ruined TJ's (and really all) falafel for us, which used to be a staple - each ball has 100 calories, and that is the baked ones. Apparently trying to fatten up Leela put more weight on me than even breastfeeding could take off!

We ended up with the Fat Free Vegan Cabbage Soup - Lentils, potatoes, cabbage, carrots, all around yum.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:02 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

For the 2 year old I watch, sometimes I'll make a little tupperware container of all his leftovers/rejected food from the day and put it in the fridge. Then when it's snack time I give him the mix n' match plate and if he doesn't eat it then it goes in the trash. While I don't eat his food for a couple of reasons (mostly not vegan and higher calorie content than I'm interested in), I do feel bad about wasting it especially since I'm not the one buying it. Obviously I separate out hot/cold foods btw.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:15 pm 
Semen Strong

That is a fantastic idea! THANK YOU!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:04 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Tofulish wrote:
Your son is so cute! Sorry he's feeling sick and I hope he feels better soon! Pizza is an awesome diner! This is our go to if L is sick: http://www.theppk.com/2010/12/chickpea- ... h-cabbage/

If this is useful, I'm now trying to take Lavawitch's advice from another thread, and boxing up leftovers right off the stove. We share one serving, and if she wants more, then I open up the container and give her a wee bit. And I've been cooking stuff that is heavy on the veg/lower cal and just adding extra fat to her portion -avocado, coconut oil etc.

Thanks!

Boxing up leftovers is a good idea. I do the same with adding extra fat, although it usually ends up on mine too, doing it separately would be better for me, haha.

He stayed with Dad this morning....I don't think he ate anything (Dad just came back from Afghanistan and they are still getting to know each other again). It made me never want to leave the house again. Oh he ate a baggie of cereal and raisins in the car.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:15 pm 
Semen Strong

Wow, so glad that his Dad is back. It must be stressful getting a 2 year old to get used to their father, with no memories or real understanding to be able to fall back on. Sending you lots of good thoughts for that transition.

We did tofu scramble for breakfast, which she didn't eat, and had plain lentils instead. Then for lunch she had baked beans on toast (sans toast) and then for dinner we had pasta with broccoli in a garlic sauce and she housed the broccoli and ate some of the pasta and chickpeas that I added for extra protein. She also had a banana coconut smoothie as a snack and some crackers and leftover soup in between her meals.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:28 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I was eating the kids' leftovers for a while, but lately, I've been feeding them to my husband (who is both a string bean and a human garbage disposal).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:25 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Yesterday:

Breakfast: Matzoh Brie (from Vegan Brunch), a million strawberries

Lunch: Didn't eat it, but was served Mediterranean Lima beans (from V'con) and roasted sweet potatoes

Snack: A banana and more strawberries

Dinner: Broccoli soup w/ matzoh farfel

I'm searching for some new toddler-friendly veggie-centric meals. Most of our meals center on beans or pasta and I want to switch it up.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:53 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Breakfast: pb&j on whole wheat English muffin, banana, a few peas
Snack: blueberries, more banana, multigrain square cereal
Lunch: brown rice with chorizo Seitan and steamed broccoli, strawberries, blueberries, a few more peas, and some plain coconut yogurt
Snack: crackers with crock cheez
Dinner: about a quarter of a vwav veggie burger, some ketchup, even more peas and some applesauce

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:32 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Since Kai started center daycare I've been planning his lunches to match up what they serve on the meal plan as much as possible. Here's this weeks menu:

Mon: lentil rice balls, sauce for dipping, spaghetti, zucchini
Tues: chickpea salad sandwich (in shape of dinosaur), peas
Wed: Daiya quesadilla w/ refried beans, corn
Thu: Mac n Geewhiz (wagon wheel shaped pasta), green beans
Fri: Pizza bagel, peas

We'll see how much he eats!

I also got him some chia seeds in individual packets that you can add to stuff like oatmeal. Each packet has 2 g protein plus a bunch of calcium and iron. Hopefully this will go over well!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:46 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Sounds delicious! I'm curious to see how the chia seeds go over. We might have to try that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 607 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 25  Next