| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1335, 1336, 1337, 1338, 1339, 1340, 1341 ... 1900  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:25 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i just was about to post an almost instantaneous response to something on FB and realized that I couldn't because it would lead to questions, which would lead to me responding with info that always makes everything screech to a halt and leaves everyone uncomfortable. Normally I just avoid the subject to avoid these situations.
My little thing is an aspect of my life, something that will never go away or be forgotten, but something that i can push down without integrally compromising my own identity [most of the time, anyway].

What just occurred to me is that if I feel so awkward with one small thing, how do people stand it when they have to keep entire faces of their identity squashed for so long? When they can't comment about the most natural, instinctual parts of their lives without the whole world stopping, horrified.
I tell you, I used to think that I was a relatively open-minded person when it comes to personal diversity and tolerance. But i never thought about how huge and demeaning it must be to feel like this about something like one's sexuality, identity, family history, preferences, politics, etc that is so integral to identity. To have to squash that all the time, to hesitate to respond with one's real opinions. I've got a friend who was top-secret-undercover gay for almost all his life, just recently has he become semi-public at the age of 50. It boggles my mind to think about how hard that must be.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:45 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

torque wrote:
i just was about to post an almost instantaneous response to something on FB and realized that I couldn't because it would lead to questions, which would lead to me responding with info that always makes everything screech to a halt and leaves everyone uncomfortable. Normally I just avoid the subject to avoid these situations.
My little thing is an aspect of my life, something that will never go away or be forgotten, but something that i can push down without integrally compromising my own identity [most of the time, anyway].

What just occurred to me is that if I feel so awkward with one small thing, how do people stand it when they have to keep entire faces of their identity squashed for so long? When they can't comment about the most natural, instinctual parts of their lives without the whole world stopping, horrified.
I tell you, I used to think that I was a relatively open-minded person when it comes to personal diversity and tolerance. But i never thought about how huge and demeaning it must be to feel like this about something like one's sexuality, identity, family history, preferences, politics, etc that is so integral to identity. To have to squash that all the time, to hesitate to respond with one's real opinions. I've got a friend who was top-secret-undercover gay for almost all his life, just recently has he become semi-public at the age of 50. It boggles my mind to think about how hard that must be.

Message me sometime when you get a chance and we can talk more about this <3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:09 pm 
***LIES!!!***

sweet_potato wrote:
I'm more concerned about dengue fever at this point.

Make sure you bring real mosquito repellant. Deet works, most of the other stuff does not. Don't dick around with herbal nonsense. You can also prewash your clothes in a repellant wash for extra coverage. My sister had dengue when working in Bolivia. It super sucked.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:36 am 
Chip Strong

Ranty rant to follow.

So two (possibly three) of my current roommates and I have decided to find a place together for next year. I'm super excited, because it's just really tense and uncomfortable for me with the other two roommates (my ex and someone who use to be my best friend... enough said). However, one of them found this adorable little townhouse and is now just set on us renting it. But, I'm really not feeling it, two of the bigger reasons being it's way farther off campus than I wanted to be and it's over my price range. If it was a good deal, I wouldn't mind being so far off campus, but there are plenty of apartments closer that work out cheaper per month than that place. Plus, it has gas heating, so it's going to be freaking expensive to heat in the winter. We're currently living on the fourth floor of an apartment building, so we stayed pretty warm without having to use our heat this year, so I don't think she realizes how much heating actually costs... When she forwarded all of us the leasing info, I noticed it said credit history and income 3x the rent amount were required, but she emailed them and they said they make an exception for students... So now I have to be the bad guy and tell her I don't want to rent this place.

I've emailed a few apartment complexes though that have apartments that are cheaper and closer, and I'm hoping they get back to me in time so I can be more like, "Look at these places! They're a way better deal! And closer!" instead of just seeming like a butthead.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:19 am 
Discovered unobtainium

You have your budget. Tell them it is firm.

I was in a similar situation. They decided to subsidize my rent in order to get it anyway vs different place or different roommate.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:38 am 
Chip Strong

Yeah, that was my plan. The good news is I had emailed the leasing agent about utility info (since being able to afford it was contingent on how much they'd be), and she emailed me back after I posted that and said they'd be $100+ per person/month, and I'm pretty sure that also puts this place over all our limits.

It's funny though, last year she was the one who didn't want to pay $30 extra a month in order to get the room she wanted, but now she wants to rent a place that'd be $150 more every month than we're paying now. Um, okay?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:01 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

YOU PEEPS. I'M GOING TO BE AN AUNT.

My brother and his partner are already brainstorming baby names. They want to add a second name that can be used for other genders as well, so that their child can later choose to use the other name. Also, baby clothes request in all colours except light blue or pink (combinations okay). They also asked me to knit booties and a onesie with cape. This child will grow up playing RPGs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:20 am 
Saggy Butt

Ariann wrote:

Make sure you bring real mosquito repellant. Deet works, most of the other stuff does not. Don't dick around with herbal nonsense. You can also prewash your clothes in a repellant wash for extra coverage. My sister had dengue when working in Bolivia. It super sucked.

Yup, I'm all covered! They gave us a good guide as to how to prepare and what to expect. It's just a little scary because it's so new, but I'm really excited for this opportunity and know that everything will work out just fine. Thanks for all of your suggestions, everyone :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:22 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

One of our students has applied for her University finance, through the official government site. Her application has come back with "The gender for this person does not match the details given" (regarding her father). What the fork? I can't believe they are allowed to say that! I am so angry. I think in this case it's just a mistake but there could be things this student doesn't know about her father, and as long as the loan company know what he earns, his gender is fork all to do with them. I am going to complain but I don't yet know who to.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:42 am 
Shopped till she dropped

No wonder I'm so freaking tired and it's dark as fork this morning -- I forgot about daylight savings! I use my phone as a clock and alarm, so I didn't notice until this morning when I saw it was 6am on the coffee maker. Never enough sleep.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:53 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I know! It was really rainy this morning so I was sure it was just one of those dark fluke mornings until I got in my car and saw the time my body thought it was.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:54 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I HATE DAYLIGHT SAVINGS. I could not get myself out of bed this morning.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:09 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Yesterday evening I was in the living room with my bf, and out of the blue I stood up, took off my pants, went to the kitchen and opened the fridge. My bf was perplexed by the order of these occurences...

(I simply keep my skin lotion in the fridge and wanted to put some on my legs.)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:28 am 
WELFARIST!

Phoenix wrote:

My brother and his partner are already brainstorming baby names. They want to add a second name that can be used for other genders as well, so that their child can later choose to use the other name. Also, baby clothes request in all colours except light blue or pink (combinations okay). They also asked me to knit booties and a onesie with cape. This child will grow up playing RPGs.

This makes me so happy! And congratulations!

Another daylight savings hater, here. I fell asleep super early last night and then woke up at 6 for sexytimes with the manfriend, then back to sleep for a little while but I had a terrifying nightmare and then when it was time to get up, it was all dark and shiitake outside and my body was like NO.

Also, I had the best weekend, you guys. I feel like I always have the best weekends these days. Happy happy happy.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:38 am 
WELFARIST!

Douglas Adams fans, go Google something!!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:29 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

allularpunk wrote:
Douglas Adams fans, go Google something!!

<3 <3 <3 The Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster!!!! <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:48 am 
Saggy Butt

Phoenix wrote:

This is so awesome! But haven't you seen The Incredibles? NO CAPES!

(Kidding, that sounds super adorable).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:49 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

parkerk wrote:

Haha, a friend just reminded me of that scene. I'm going to make the cape removable, so it's more like a gala uniform. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:56 am 
Saggy Butt

Phoenix wrote:
parkerk wrote:

Haha, a friend just reminded me of that scene. I'm going to make the cape removable, so it's more like a gala uniform. :)

Whew, ok good. Seriously, that movie has ruined capes for me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:57 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Week off work has commenced! I started it off good by heading straight to the bank after work and applying for my loans and credit card to be amalgamated and the cc to be cancelled. I should know next week if it is approved. Hopefully it will because my monthly repayments will be a lot less.

Got home from work and done a huge walk in the woods. Lexi had a great run around as I had let her off the leash for the first time in forever.

Now I'm curled up on the sofa enjoying some me time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:36 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I just tried Tofurkey deli slices for the first time today and they are pretty good! I have been eating them straight out of the package all day. I was always afraid to try them, because the one time I tried Tofurkey roast, I thought it was super gross. But I guess slicing it really thin makes it a million times better.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:38 pm 
WRETCHED

I've never tried tofurkey slices but I love the tofurkey roast.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:41 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Phoenix wrote:

Congratulations!

I thought of you today when I saw this: (octopus teapot) http://pinterest.com/pin/13229392627997927/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:43 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
I just tried Tofurkey deli slices for the first time today and they are pretty good! I have been eating them straight out of the package all day. I was always afraid to try them, because the one time I tried Tofurkey roast, I thought it was super gross. But I guess slicing it really thin makes it a million times better.

cool! i kind of live on tofurkey slices. hickory is my favorite and, here's a tip, if you want a breakfast sammich with bacon you can fry up a few hickory slices and slice them into bacon strips and they totally do the trick!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:02 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Veg_Eric wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

Congratulations!

I thought of you today when I saw this: (octopus teapot) http://pinterest.com/pin/13229392627997927/

Awww, pretty! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1335, 1336, 1337, 1338, 1339, 1340, 1341 ... 1900  Next