| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Favorite Furniture Sites? New + Vintage + Unfinished, ETC
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:17 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

We just moved into our apartment, and the space needs some flair and functionality. Right now, it looks like an overly spacious dorm room with a nice kitchen, but it's actually a studio with plenty of space for functional and interesting pieces. Our main go-to is Ikea, of course, but that is for convenience (we both have hectic schedules + a puppy + prefer internet shopping). The cost is generally a major plus for us as well, but that is not to say that we would not pay more if we liked something even more than the generic stuff of Ikea.

I have no clue where else to look. Thinking of Gothic Cabinet Craft( but I don't have time to stain and finish a piece of furniture, let alone the space to do so) and Ikea, and my dad, well his wife works at a furniture chain store but things don't jump out at me there, so I just don't even bother anymore.

I was wondering if you have any places you like to go to when you're looking for something with a simple, clean design but also paired with functionality and preferably sound ethics (environmentally friendly products [could be reclaimed would or recycled plastics or something even more creative], workers are paid good wages, animals aren't harmed [not sure in what way other than the rainforest deforestation this would apply]). These pieces don't have to be ones that will be passed down forever, but keep in mind we're probably looking for pieces that can transport well to the next place we live without also putting us down for a lot of money.

We need:
dinette or small kitchen table + chairs (bonus if it has drawers!),
room divider (eyed one at Ikea that functions as a bookshelf+magazine rack, etc),
possibly curtains + curtain rod,
window seat cushion.
Lamp suggestions and anything else, like rugs, towels, etc would be awesome if you know of something really cool and remarkable.

Thanks if you have any suggestions at all!

P.S. Ebay will kill me if I have to look. So. Much. Stuff.

Post subject: Re: Favorite Furniture Sites? New + Vintage + Unfinished, ET
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:29 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I shop around on Wayfair when I need home goods, although I've never ordered any furniture from them (but might very soon!). They sell items from a bunch of different companies and designers on there, so there's a pretty good selection and price range. I can't really speak to any of the ethical issues, though, since the items are coming from so many vendors.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:37 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

sorry but ebay or craigslist is my go-to! with ebay you can save some advanced searches making sure to put several key words for what you are looking for, and also words that shouldn't be in the search results. then run that search every other day or so when you have some down-time. maybe this is only worth the effort for vintage pieces you might save a long time. craigslist is about as bad, but I got a great (vintage) couch for under $200, and they have desks o'plenty. At least with used stuff there's no worry about labor and environment standards.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:57 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

also if you need space saving things check out this fascinating video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nljmEUeLbY
maybe get a guest bed in there too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:18 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

that room looks crazy! so functional

we're getting an ikea table, but still need everything else. any pointers for cool dishware + flatware and the aforementioned stuffs?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:00 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I have found really amazing vintage dish and flatware sets in midwestern thrift stores... unfortunately it's more of a crapshoot in New York, but worth a look before blowing a bunch of cash on new stuff? Like maybe the Housing Works in Chelsea would have stuff like that?

If you're going to Ikea anyway, they have dishes and stuff that are reasonably priced and attractive so it's worth a browse.

If you don't mind buying stuff off the internet, there are loads of daily deals sites these days that sell housewares with interesting designs. I've bought interesting plates and kitchen stuff off Fab.com a couple times, though be forewarned that they don't ship lightning-quick. Anyway, the sales change daily but they often have "ethical" designers so it's worth checking day-to-day.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:57 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

fauxfrancais wrote:
I have no clue where else to look. Thinking of Gothic Cabinet Craft( but I don't have time to stain and finish a piece of furniture, let alone the space to do so) and Ikea, and my dad, well his wife works at a furniture chain store but things don't jump out at me there, so I just don't even bother anymore.

Gothic Cabinet Craft is a good place...they will finish the piece for you in whatever color you want. I have a dresser we bought from them more than 25 years ago (wow!) and it's still doing great.