| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Vegan Desserts by Chloe Coscarelli
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:43 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

The pistachio pots de creme were a huge hit with my mom. I think my problem with them was completely my blender's fault. The texture wasn't creamy enough. The flavor was good and it presented well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:57 am 
ugh

I've put a hold on this book at the library, woo!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:57 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I made the mojito chocolate chip cookies from the recipe posted on VegNews, just because I thought they sounded weird and I wanted to see. They tasted exactly how I expected, kind of like here's flavor #1, here's flavor #2, here's flavor #3, but the flavors didn't meld well. Then I gave them to omnis at work and they looooooved them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:28 am 

Dave the Cat wrote:
I made the mojito chocolate chip cookies from the recipe posted on VegNews, just because I thought they sounded weird and I wanted to see. They tasted exactly how I expected, kind of like here's flavor #1, here's flavor #2, here's flavor #3, but the flavors didn't meld well. Then I gave them to omnis at work and they looooooved them.

Good to know. I think I have to make them because they are intriguing. I don't have high expectations for them, but I like making things that are different once in a while.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:48 am 
Nailed to the V

I really want to try the mojito cookies, too, but I'm afraid that nobody in my house will eat them, so I'll be left with a whole batch of these "weird" cookies all to myself.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:19 pm 
Saggy Butt

I was super excited with anticipation for the coconut sorbet with cashew brittle recipe in this book, but now it's arrived I see she uses bought coconut sorbet. :(
I see the Pina Colada recipe made it in from her website, which is also made with coconut sorbet, I've been dreaming about these cocktails for a long time. I'm googling now for a simple coconut sorbet recipe to make myself.

My other pet peeve about the book was the Mud Pie, which lists store-bought coffee ice cream, the version I'd previously seen on her website listed store-bought ice cream or as an alternative she included ingredients and directions for making the ice cream yourself.
It's not that I'm a greatly opposed of store-bought, but I just can't buy coconut sorbet or vegan coffee ice-cream where I live. The option to make it myself is a huge boon then.

Grump over, I am in love with the book, I want to try everything at least once. I'm apprehensive about the pumpkin pie and pumpkin cinnamon rolls, as much as I love pumpkin I'm not sure how my family will cope presented with pumpkin in a sweet form. The Holiday Trifle has given me pause to think, I'll need to sub something for the cranberries. Maybe cherries they can be tart which is what I understand cranberries are.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:27 pm 
Saggy Butt

I just had a pumpkin spice latte. It was yum! I halved the recipe, and I don't even know whether I used the amount of sugar called for, but it was nice to be able to sweeten it to taste without also adjusting the strength of the pumpkin and spice. I always think coffee houses make their pumpkin lattes too sweet, but if you ask for less sweetness, you also get less pumpkin spiciness. It was also way more healthy with real pumpkin in it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:50 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i made the raspberry mousse cupcakes. overall they were soooo yummy.
i had mousse fail that i talked about in the kitchen forum. basically i didnt fully how long i needed to chill the coconut milk to get enough coconut solids (i still dont fully understand but next time i will try overnight). so my mousse never set up but everything tasted great.
the cupcakes came out super moist and fluffy and yummy. the cupcakes even had a mousse flavor to them.

i will definitely make them again!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:17 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

The first recipe I made was the chocolate hazelnut gelato and it was really good, will make again!

Can't decide what recipe to try next, lots I want to make but maybe the lemon poppy seed muffins.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:42 pm 

I made the blondies and they are so good!! I get what people are saying about the greasiness, but mine came out a dry greasy - if that makes sense. Like I can tell they are full of earth balance and they're heavy - but the grease isn't getting all over my fingers. I made the recipe just as written with the exception of the rum. I couldn't find dark rum so I used light rum. I will definitely make these again.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:58 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the chocolate chip cookie pie earlier, crust and all. It looks INSANELY good.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:15 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Does this book use a lot of flax and/or Ener-g?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:20 am 
Nailed to the V

PoesiePie wrote:
Does this book use a lot of flax and/or Ener-g?

No, it doesn't! If I recall off the top of my head, there's absolutely no Ener-g in the book, and I'm pretty sure there's no flax either. She relies on more natural methods for binding, which is another reason I think her recipes are so accessible and even omni-friendly. It's a great book!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:31 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Great, thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:41 pm 

masuphl wrote:
Dave the Cat wrote:

Good to know. I think I have to make them because they are intriguing. I don't have high expectations for them, but I like making things that are different once in a while.

They just came out of the oven. YUM! Not weird at all, like you said. I love the flavors together.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:09 pm 

masuphl wrote:
masuphl wrote:
Dave the Cat wrote:

They just came out of the oven. YUM! Not weird at all, like you said. I love the flavors together.

I meant that the flavors are what you would expect, like you said. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:38 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I made the blondies but think I baked them too long cause they ended up quite dry, I should of checked at about 20 mins or so because that probably would have been enough in my oven. Nice with ice cream though!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:47 am 
Saggy Butt

I made the Frozen Mocha Latte this afternoon, just perfect! It's stinking hot in my corner of the world at the moment, so a very icy yummy drink is a boon. Added advantage was it wasn't as sickly as sucking down the pre-vegan versions I used to live on in previous summers.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:35 am 
Saggy Butt

So far I made three items from this book. The first was the pumpkin cinnamon rolls. This recipe is also on her web site, where I initially got it. On the web site, it also uses cranberry sauce in the filling. I skipped it. Other than that, its pretty much the same. These were awesome. I ended up putting the pan to rise near our fireplace while we had a fire and these things turned out huge. Not sure if that really helped but it was much warmer there. They do take a bit of time to put together but are so worth it.

Next up was the molasses cookies. Very good and quick to make. Would be a great cookie for someone who doesn't want chocolate (though I can't imagine that). You can really get the molasses flavor. Do not skip or skimp on the sugar coating. This made it very crunchy out the out side but moist inside. They looked so pretty that these are cookies I would bake to give away to family.

Yesterday I made the pecan squares. OMG these are incredible. I did not read the recipe that close that said you had to place in the fridge for 8 hours. We had less than that but we could not wait. These are very sweet so a small piece goes a long way. For the crust, I used half spelt flour to give it some nutritional value. The crust was very good and had a nice, hard, but crumbly texture. The topping was so delicious. I had to stop my husband from eating it while it cooled. Despite the recipe looking involved this was one of the easier recipes to make. It came together very quickly. And I can say....they are great for breakfast too. :-)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:26 pm 
ugh

I tried to make the salted caramel cupcakes and it was a fail. They spread out over the cups and then sank, and the bottoms were very oily. I know my leaveners are fine (I've been baking pretty frequently lately), my oven temp was fine and I didn't open the oven early, so I'm not sure what I did. Overmixing? I rarely have any trouble with cupcakes though so it was an unfortunate surprise. They were in no shape to go to the potluck as intended but they taste good so I suppose it wasn't a total waste.

I was really happy to find that the cupcake recipe was actually for a dozen and not 18 like the recipes in her last book, until I looked at some of the other cupcake recipes - I saw recipes for 14, 16, and 18 cupcakes. 18 is annoying but I can work with it - 2/3 of everything for a dozen isn't so hard, and no trouble at all if I'm making 3 dozen cupcakes obviously - but 14?! What's up with that?

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:19 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Just bought this book yesterday. Made the ginger molassas cookies. They are hands-down the best ginger bread cookies EVER! I was short on molassas by a couple tbsp. so added a couple extra tbsp. water to make the dough come together. I made them big (made 22 instead of the 34 it says it makes) and cooked a couple extra minutes. A little crunchy on the outside and soft and chewy in the middle. I ate 2 and had to quickly put them away so I wouldn't be tempted to eat anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:01 am 
Saggy Butt

I made the Chocolate Raspberry Shake this afternoon, there is only one brand of vegan choc ice cream here. I don't know if it was that, but it wasn't a very chocolatey shake like I was expecting. Not a win, I think I'll try making my own choc ice cream and try again before I completely write it off.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:29 pm 
Tofu Pup

b.vicious wrote:
I tried to make the salted caramel cupcakes and it was a fail. They spread out over the cups and then sank, and the bottoms were very oily. I know my leaveners are fine (I've been baking pretty frequently lately), my oven temp was fine and I didn't open the oven early, so I'm not sure what I did. Overmixing? I rarely have any trouble with cupcakes though so it was an unfortunate surprise. They were in no shape to go to the potluck as intended but they taste good so I suppose it wasn't a total waste.

I was really happy to find that the cupcake recipe was actually for a dozen and not 18 like the recipes in her last book, until I looked at some of the other cupcake recipes - I saw recipes for 14, 16, and 18 cupcakes. 18 is annoying but I can work with it - 2/3 of everything for a dozen isn't so hard, and no trouble at all if I'm making 3 dozen cupcakes obviously - but 14?! What's up with that?

I had the same problem with the Salted Caramel Cupcakes. They all sank in the middle and looked very greasy. I tossed them and made a batch of the golden vanilla cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. They were delicious with the salted caramel frosting.

I tried the Chocolate Beer Cupcakes with Irish Whiskey Buttercream tonight. Same problem, although not quite as severe. I checked the cupcakes after 15 minutes, and they looked OK for the most part, although a few had dimples in the middle. Three minutes later, they all had dimples in the middle, and when I took them out of the oven after testing, they all sank in the middle, but not as badly as the Salted Caramel Cupcakes (I didn't feel quite so compelled to throw these away). I went ahead and frosted them (filling in the holes). Both the cupcake papers and my cupcake tin were on the greasy side.

I'm a little disappointed. I bought this cookbook after making some of the recipes from Chloe's Kitchen, including the Mocha Almond Fudge Cake, which turned out beautifully. I'm hoping someone else will try a few of the cupcake recipes and see if it's the recipe or human error. I certainly could be doing something horribly wrong--but the VCTOW cupcakes turned out fantastic after the epic fail of the Salted Caramel Cupcake greasebombs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:55 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i made the mint cookies n cream cupcakes last night and im really disappointed in the frosting.

this is the second cupcake recipe i have made from this book and both times the cupcakes themselves came out super duper amazing. they rose nicely they were moist they tasted awesome. the first ones had more of a ganache style topping.

this one the frosting was literally shortening, powdered sugar, extract, milk, crushed oreos.
i know it says "non hydrogenated shortening" but ive never seen shortening that expressly says that. so i by the crisco sticks cause that's what's available.

the frosting literally tasted like almost nothing but a mouthful of crisco. bleeecchhhhhh.
even my husband was like "yeah it's a bit greasy"
i only put a little peppermint extract because i made something totally different once with it and used what the recipe called for and ended up wtih cookies that tasted like mouthwash so im afraid of the peppermint extract. i added in some vanilla extract to make up for the lack of peppermint. otherwise i followed the directions exactly. i know i could have added more sugar but it was like 8:30 and i had been in the kitchen all day and i just wanted to eat some damn cupcakes.

it also made a TON of frosting. the batter was supposed to make 16 cupcakes, i think i ended up with 14 so maybe that's why i had a bit more frosting. i dumped a whole bunch of the frosting and will probably scrape a bunch off the cupcakes i have left. it wasnt horrible eating it with the cupcake (as opposed to tasting it plain) but it definitely wasnt like super great either.

again the cupcakes themselves were yummy just the frosting was gross.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:36 pm 

I made the chocolate beer cupcakes with Irish whiskey frosting for St. Patty's Day and they came out great. (No dimples or greasiness). I brought my leftovers into work today and my non-vegan coworkers are asking for the recipe. I did make a slight modification to the frosting -- I used 3/4 c. spectrum non-hydrogenated shortening and 1/4 c. of earthbalance in place of the 1 c. of shortening called for in the recipe. I also used an extra tsp. of whiskey because my frosting didn't taste boozy at all without the extra.

As a note, the cupcakes took the maximum baking time (22 minutes). I did not open the oven door at all until they had baked for 18 minutes (the minimum time).

Photo: Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next