| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Whole Grain Vegan Baking
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:55 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Looks good! Not sure what to make though. Post suggestions!

To address a concern someone had in the upcoming cookbooks thread, there are a lot of recipes that call for multiple types of flour.

Post subject: Re: Whole Grain Vegan Baking
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:34 pm 
WRETCHED

That is a shame, I think I'll pass then. Thanks for the feedback creep.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:38 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

My copy arrived yesterday! There are a lot of different flours. It will be fun to experiment but it might get pricey.

I think I'll start with with some muffins!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:44 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I was hoping for lots of different flours! I've been experimenting with non-wheat baking/brunching/&c.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:14 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

maybe I will finally use my grain/flour tub for my vitamix and make all the special flours??
I can't wait to get my copy!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:23 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

ameyfm wrote:
maybe I will finally use my grain/flour tub for my vitamix and make all the special flours??
I can't wait to get my copy!

Oooo, if you do, let us know how it goes! I mean, I make oat and almond flour in my tiny food chopper thing just by chopping oats and almonds very fine but I've never used anything like the flour jar or ground up anything else like, say, quinoa (do you rinse it first???) for quinoa flour.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:07 pm 
Nailed to the V

I wonder for quinoa flour, if one would just do a swirl in the food processor (like oat/almond).

mine shipped! :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:48 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I've done a quick read through--very pretty book! I'm excited and inspired to go back stuff now.

The flour thing isn't too bad. This book mostly uses the "usual suspects" like white whole wheat, WW pastry, spelt, and oat flour. Those are probably easy enough to find anywhere with a reasonable gluten free section. I picked up barley and corn flour at WF today; they were both fairly cheap. I know I can't find those at Giant or Wegmans, but if I run out, there look like plenty of recipes that just call for the more standard types. They do use maple syrup, coconut oil, etc, but I didn't expect a whole grain baking book to be inexpensive to cook from anyway. Subs for coconut oil are given in some places. They do not use EB, so that's a plus for people who can't get that.

My biggest limitation with this book is going to be all the soy yogurt they use. Lots of the recipes need anywhere from a couple tbsp to 3/4 cup. Unless I want to bake with blueberry or strawberry yogurt, this will severely limit the book for me. It would have been nice if the ingredients section discussed a possible sub or two. Maybe something with soft or silken tofu would work instead? Maybe Celine or Tami can chime in here; I know yogurt access is difficult for a lot of us, especially lately.

They give ingredient amounts in cups and weight, which is wonderful! My kitchen scale is DOA, but eventually I'll replace it. I don't know why all baking books don't do this. Kudos to Celine and Tami.

What looks good (that I can have and/or can reasonably get ingredients for): I'm flush with yogurt after my trek to WF so I have lots of options right now

Lemon spelt scones, chocolate cherry scones, chocolate stout spelt donuts, raspberry spelt Danishes, breakfast pie pastries, lemon ginger rolls, triple onion dill muffins, savory spinach loaf, carrot cashew loaf, apple spelt loaf, blackberry allspice muffins, pita bread, pretzels, mushroom arugula savory pie (!!!!), chickpea rabe calzoni, oatmeal sandwich bread (this looks cheap and easy! Will try first), pull apart cinnamon bread, English muffin bread, bread bowls!, sun dried tomato foccaccia (this uses pumpernickel flour), noochy crackers (yes please! Seems cheapish and easy), pesto knots (uses ume plum), spelt crusted quiche (tahini in the crust--yum!), roasted veggie tart, hazelnut shortbread, almond plum crostatas.

So, yeah, basically I want to bake the whole book.

I didn't mention cookies, cupcakes, etc because I have no desire to eat whole grain cookies or brownies. They might be good, but they usually just make me want "the real thing." if you are into that though, the recipes look great.

I appreciate that this isn't some weird healthy baking book with no sugar, oil etc. Some recipes look healthier than others, but it looks nice a fabulous mix of everyday, practical, and decadent stuff.

(I'm a hater so I didn't list it, but this book has a recipe for Biscoff donuts)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:08 am 
Saggy Butt

lavawitch wrote:
My biggest limitation with this book is going to be all the soy yogurt they use. Lots of the recipes need anywhere from a couple tbsp to 3/4 cup. Unless I want to bake with blueberry or strawberry yogurt, this will severely limit the book for me. It would have been nice if the ingredients section discussed a possible sub or two. Maybe something with soft or silken tofu would work instead? Maybe Celine or Tami can chime in here; I know yogurt access is difficult for a lot of us, especially lately.

Soy yogurt is a huge issue for me, although the books I've seen it most used in are the Celine and Joni ones, usually in baking recipes. There's a long list of stuff I've been meaning to make that needs yogurt, the odd times I have baked with yogurt I've used the Sorta Yogurt recipe from Complete Guide to Substitutions.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:37 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

darksideknitter wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

Soy yogurt is a huge issue for me, although the books I've seen it most used in are the Celine and Joni ones, usually in baking recipes. There's a long list of stuff I've been meaning to make that needs yogurt, the odd times I have baked with yogurt I've used the Sorta Yogurt recipe from Complete Guide to Substitutions.

In order to access unsweetened plain soy yogurt in the rural area where I live, I have to special order it by the case at my local green grocer. A case contains six 24 oz tubs of the stuff. I do it, but, where there are only two of us here, that constitutes A LOT of yogurt to wade through. Though I have tried various recipes for home soy milk yogurt making, I have yet to find one that results in a very good end product.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:27 am 
WRETCHED

Thanks LW. My concern was that I have a bag of WW pastry that has lasted me 3 years or so :) I don't bake much but I have an interest in whole grain baking and even if I up my game in baking, I can imagine having a bunch of half used bags of flours. It'd be less of a concern in a recipe only called for 1 or 2 types of flour because then I could concentrate on certain recipes. It definitely sounds geared more towards those that are frequent bakers which isn't me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:32 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

I dunno. I am pretty exited about the book. I don't buy many new cookbooks these days. Most seem to feature the same recipes over and over. This book is different. Many of the recipes are very inventive, unique and I appreciate the creativity. I also appreciate the use of different flours. I like to bake and I love to experiment with different flours.

Disclosure: I was a tester.
I don't have much time right now but I'll post some pics of what I tested later.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:40 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Hi all! Just butting in to respond to lavawitch's question about soy yogurt:

lavawitch wrote:

Absolutely, you can replace it with the same quantity of soft silken tofu. I rarely find any sort of soy yogurt here either, and I can't believe we didn't think of noting that as a possible sub somewhere in the book. D'oh. I'll make sure to have it added in the next printing round, so thank you for pointing it out.

I know not everyone is a fan of amazon, but they carry a lot of those flours at an affordable price, so keep that in mind if you're in the States and if you're okay with shopping there. For example, a set of four bags of Bob's Red Mill barley flour is available for under 10 bucks. And it keeps really well in the freezer, I've had some in there for over a year and it's still feeling peachy. And delicious.
We actually made it a point to stick to using a variety of whole grain flours that aren't too costly, keeping in mind also that we didn't want to only use whole wheat flour, whole wheat pastry flour, or even whole spelt flour because it would have gotten boring pretty quickly. Especially since one of the reasons for this book was to discover the wide array of whole grain flours available out there.

I've cut down on my internet time a lot and have gotten really bad at checking in here, so if anyone ever has a question that requires an urgent response, please feel free to get in touch with Tami or me directly. But I'll try to be better at making sure that all questions get answered right here too. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:19 pm 

About the barley flour - I think you could try using regular ww flour. But the thing is, barley flour has less gluten than wheat flour. So it might produce slightly different results.

These are some of the recipes I tested. I hope they are all in the book. I haven't got my copy yet.):

Allspice Berry Muffins (no yoghurt, recipe calls for whole wheat pastry flour, whole spelt flour, oat flour, tapioca flour - I am pretty sure you can substitute more whole wheat for the spelt and cornstarch for the tapioca)

Savoury Chipotle Corn Muffins (recipe calls for apple sauce or yoghurt, corn flour and spelt flour. I can find corn flour at South American or Asian crocery stores, but that is in Germany)

Brownies (These are so good! They look a bit dry in the pic but they are not. They call for white beans. I am definitely not a fan of bean brownies. But that's probably because most of them have been healthyfied to death. These are actually made with fat and sugar. They call for coconut sugar and whole spelt flour. I had no problem with substituting regular white sugar for the coconut sugar.)

Speculoos donuts (These are decadent! Call for whole wheat pastry flour and yoghurt. I used regular whole wheat flour)

Tortillas (These are super awesome, soft and easy to make. Call for while whole whear flour, whole spelt flour, fine corn meal. I used regular whole wheat flour instead of white.)

Garam Masala Muffins (Call for whole wheat pastry flour and barley flour. I don't have access to ww pastry flour and usually use all purpose or regular ww instead.)

Berry Swirl Mini Coffee Cakes (My picture doesn't do them justice. I kind of messed it up. Recipe calls for yoghurt and whole wheat pastry flour.)

Wholly Noochy Crackers (These are a whole wheat version of Celine's very famous Cheesy Quackers. They call for Spelt flour and ww pastry flour. More ww flour is a good substitute for the spelt.)

Cracked Wheat Pan Rolls. (These are so soft! I love them. Call for cracked wheat, ww flour, whole spelt flour, gluten):

Sesame Granola (Pretty addictive and very easy to make. Calls for rolled rye flakes, old-fashioned oats, rolled spelt flakes, brown rice flour. I think all kinds of flakes would work here. Even using only oats would probably work.)

Jam Bars (These make a great snack. Call for brown rice flour and whole spelt flour.)

Apricot Cardamom Coffee Cake (This is great for Christmas season! Calls for oat flour, barley flour, ww pastry flour.)

Here are some sample recipes from the book (please note that minimal changes were made to the recipes which were actually printed):

Whole Grain Burger Buns
Hazelnut Shortbread Fingers
Tartelettes au Citron
Caraway Onion Bread
Almond Plum Mini Crostata Pies
Caramel Nut Barley Squares

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:41 pm 
WRETCHED

Thanks Mihl. I'm not a very experienced baker so I'd feel nervous not doing a recipe as written and also I'd be nervous about buying a bunch of flours knowing that I'd only bake fairly infrequently. I wouldn't have an issue buying 1 or 2 other flours but obviously whole grain baking would encompass a wide variety of grains, I just didn't expect a single recipe to have multiple grains in them. That is a good thing about previewing recipes though so you can tell if the book is for you or not :) I do want to try the Caraway Onion bread as it seems fairly easy and I have the ingredients.

Sounds like a great book for frequent bakers though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:48 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Linanil, most of the extra flours come in small bags, so as long as you have fridge or freezer room, that's not a huge issue. I've had some of my flours for a year and they still look, smell, bake fine. I keep them in airlock containers in the fridge.

Also, given the size of the bag, if you baked a few things with, say, oat flour, that would use up the little bag.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:51 pm 
WRETCHED

Ok this is a stupid question, are you supposed to keep grains in your fridge? :) I don't have freezer room but I never thought grains were supposed to be stored in your fridge. Does this go for VWG too?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:59 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I do not keep all purpose or bread flour in the fridge because I know I'll use them up. I have big airlock containers for those.

Everything else goes in the fridge so I don't have to worry about freshness. Flours will eventually go rancid. Also, this eliminates any bug issues.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:11 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Adding that I keep the small bags (about 4 cups) in two inch high flat rectangular air lock plastic containers. They stack up in the fridge so they don't actually take up huge amount of space. I have five kinds of flour stacked on my top shelf, in a little less than the space two soy milk cartons would take.

If we didn't have the extra fridge, I couldn't do it though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:23 pm 

linanil wrote:
Ok this is a stupid question, are you supposed to keep grains in your fridge? :) I don't have freezer room but I never thought grains were supposed to be stored in your fridge. Does this go for VWG too?

I keep all my flours at room temp. I think it's only an issue if the germ isn't removed. (Or if you have bugs.) The germ is pure fat, mostly unsaturated and spoils easily.The germ is removed from all refined flours, like AP. WW flour might have it. (I don't know about Northern America. In German ww flour, the germ is usually removed. So it keeps pretty well.) Vital wheat flour should keep well at room temp, too. At least I never had issues and that stuff sometimes sits in my kitchen for over a year.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:27 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Mihl wrote:
These are some of the recipes I tested. I hope they are all in the book. I haven't got my copy yet.

These all look fantastic! I might have to break my cookbook budget.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:32 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

lavawitch wrote:
Linanil, most of the extra flours come in small bags, so as long as you have fridge or freezer room, that's not a huge issue..

I've also been able to get one cup here, two cups there in the bulk section at WF when I haven't been sure if it's something I'll like. If you have one close to you or a natural foods type store it might be worth poking about!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:51 pm 
Nailed to the V

Mihl, it looks like most of those recipes made it into the book. Sadly, I don't see the Tortillas or the Berry Swirl Coffee Cakes in my index. The pictures are amazing!! Thanks for the feedback and flours list for each one too.

I already have big plans for the Caraway Onion Whole Wheat Bread. It's totally going to be a part of our St. Patty's Day dinner!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:53 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

The tortillas are there. I think the coffee cakes are too; at least something similar.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:13 am 
Nailed to the V

Oops, I didn't see them before. Yeah, there's a streusel berry muffin that looks similar. Maybe that's them?