| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146 ... 211  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:50 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Ive read those. I've read all the usual suspects, I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:29 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Then give this a try: http://de.scribd.com/doc/53788877/The-Shiny-Narrow-Grin
Not your typical vampire novel. Hardly any vampires (apart from metaphorical ones). Lots of young mods. Great writing. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:49 am 
Nailed to the V

VeganinBerlin wrote:
I really struggle with translations. Mostly they annoy me, but if I never read any I'd be seriously missing out.

I totally agree with you. I try to read each of the different translations of the great Russians and they are all quite different from each other...kinda like varying the spices with the same ingredients.

There is a cool movie that may interest you called, "The Woman with the 5 Elephants" about a women who translated the five major Dostoevsky novels into German. It presents the methods and pitfalls of translating the Russian language.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:16 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I had a slew of stuff I've had on hold at the library come available all at once, so in the last couple weeks I've read:

- The Aquariums of Pyongyang by Kang Chol-Hwan (finally!)
- the first Maisie Dobbs mystery (meh)
- State of Wonder by Ann Patchett (loved)
- Operating Instructions by Anne Lamott (liked a lot)

Now I'm reading The Dog Stars by Peter Heller. I like it. I heard a lot of complaints about the writing style, but so far it's not really bothering me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:36 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Jonny Guitar wrote:
There is a cool movie that may interest you called, "The Woman with the 5 Elephants" about a women who translated the five major Dostoevsky novels into German. It presents the methods and pitfalls of translating the Russian language.

Interesting. Yes, Russian is tricky. Though in their own way I suppose all languages are. Some pairs of languages might be trickier to translate between than others. I've occasionally asked Russian speaking friends about which translation I should read.

Oh and the names... I'm a librarian and I've actually gotten the question "How do you transliterate Dostoyevsky* to English?"

* or Dostoevsky it varies

Last edited by fruitbat on Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:37 pm 
WRETCHED

I've been reading Laura Ingalls Wilder. I started on Farmer Boy yesterday. I've finished Little House in the Big Woods and Little House on the Prairie. After reading Little House on the Prairie, I'm survived her family survived.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:40 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I found my junk food. Jeanine Frost has a new series. I can't really recommend it, but it is entertaining. Once Btten or something like like; very unmemorable title.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:14 pm 
Nailed to the V

fruitbat wrote:
Interesting. Yes, Russian is tricky. Though in their own way I suppose all languages are. Some pairs of languages might be trickier to translate between than others. I've occasionally asked Russian speaking friends about which translation I should read.

...or sometimes it ends in an I instead of Y.

I agree. There are lots of parts in movie when they are discussing the different possibilities that certain sentences were trying to say...sometimes they would argued and discussed on small sentence for 10 minutes at a time.

I usually go to http://www.fyodordostoevsky.com/forum/ and read up on which translation offers what when I am reading a new Russian work; though I sometimes like the ones that are not rated highly. It is a good forum (not very active thought) for discussing the major Russian authors and getting recommendations, or introductions to authors not on you radar.

As for your Japanese literature, I don't have a lot of experience in in; however, recently I finished The Women in the Dunes by Kobo Abe and it was well worth the time. Very surreal and Kafkaesque. I had seen the old black and white movie years ago and was really happy to discover the novel at the local thrift store.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:20 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

lavawitch wrote:
I need a good junk food vampire book or series. It doesn't need to have redeeming features beyond entertaining me for an hour or two.

I know you already found one but I'm trying to get people to read Bloodshot by Cherie Priest. Only two books, there's supposed to be more and she might have just not written more yet, but I heard its just not popular enough :( Which is sad because its junk I feel good about. No shame whatsoever.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:26 am 

Jonny Guitar wrote:
...or sometimes it ends in an I instead of Y.

Standard Swedish transliteration is Dostojevskij (actually if it ends in -sky in English you can expect it to end in -skij in Swedish sice it is -ский in Russian).

Jonny Guitar wrote:
As for your Japanese literature, I don't have a lot of experience in in; however, recently I finished The Women in the Dunes by Kobo Abe and it was well worth the time. Very surreal and Kafkaesque. I had seen the old black and white movie years ago and was really happy to discover the novel at the local thrift store.

He also wrote The Face of Another so I would expect surreal. It's actually been a while since I read any Japanese literature. I'm afraid I read way too much British/American. I don't even read Swedish literature! I may have to challenge myself to find a few domestic books that interest me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:01 am 
Tofu Pup

I am reading some magazine about fitness.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:27 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I was in desperate need of a fun and easy read, so it's Redshirts by John Scalzi.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:35 am 

lepelaar wrote:
I was in desperate need of a fun and easy read, so it's Redshirts by John Scalzi.

Is it good? I've seen that and thought it sounded like fun but I'm on no book buying right now...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:08 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

fruitbat wrote:
lepelaar wrote:

Is it good? I've seen that and thought it sounded like fun but I'm on no book buying right now...

I'm enjoying it so far.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:38 am 
Nailed to the V

I'm reading Jules Verne: Propeller Island (in English). The whole floating-island idea is fun, but it's not really a good story. It's like "Everyone expected B to happen. Then it did. Nobody expected C to happen, but I'm telling you, reader, all about it so you won't be surprised. Look out, C is about to happen! Then C happens." It's been so long since I read anything else of his, I don't remember if this is typical of Verne.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:37 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I just started Lark and Termite by Jayne Anne Phillips. I'm not far enough in to have much of an opinion yet other than the writing is beautiful. I hope I become engaged with the story as I get further into it.

The last book I read was Lovely, Dark and Deep by Amy McNamara. It wrecked me. I don't know if it was that good, but it has some really beautiful phrases, and described depression really, really well. Like to the point where I thought I should not be reading it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:08 am 
Tofu Pup

I have recently finished two novels that I would highly recommend to you. They are:

1. Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick
2. The Paperboy by Pete Dexter

I enjoyed both of them immensely. I will more than likely see the movies for both of them, although I'm sure they will not be as good as the book. Movies from books almost never are.

Happy Reading!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:21 pm 
Nailed to the V

Today, I bought the Adventures of Augie March and was all excited to start in on it; unfortunately, I got caught in a torrential downpour and my backpack filled up with water and soaked my new book.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:14 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I'm reading this dutch children's book "Het Akropolis Genootschap en De slag om bladzijde 37" and I really like it. I love these "weird" Dahlish kid's books.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:54 pm 

I just finished A Farewell to Arms and started All the Pretty Horses and Jodi Picoult's The Storyteller.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:54 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Clover83 wrote:
I have recently finished two novels that I would highly recommend to you. They are:

1. Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick
2. The Paperboy by Pete Dexter

I enjoyed both of them immensely. I will more than likely see the movies for both of them, although I'm sure they will not be as good as the book. Movies from books almost never are.

Happy Reading!

i also read silver linings playbook, it was awesome.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:27 pm 
Grandfathered In

Just finished A Single Shot by Matthew F. Jones (moody, dark, suspenseful, sad) and We the Animals by Justin Torres (powerful, melancholy, but the ending felt totally tacked on).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:39 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just finished Stone by Adam Roberts (great reveal!) and a lot of Clark Ashton Smith stories... Picked up The Woman Who Died a Lot again, which has been sitting on my shelf since its publication... I didn't know it was possible to "not be in the mood for Jasper Fforde", but apparently that's just what happened to me when I first tried to read it. Now it's a lot more fun. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:57 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I always get so much reading done on holiday! I finished the impressively boring book about swearing. The last chapter was getting into Freudian psychology, so I was like Zzzzz, skip to the end. Then I read the new Camilla Lackberg, The Lost Boy. It was pretty much what I expected (which is a good thing). Then I read Code Name Verity, which was so so good. Now I'm reading Unwanted, which is another Swedish crime/police novel. I'm not sure about it yet. I'm about 1/4 of the way through, and some of the main characters are really unlikeable. But it's an easy read, so I'll probably finish it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:01 pm 
Saggy Butt

Right now I'm reading House of Leaves, which is very avant-garde and deeply unsettling. I have to take several days off each time I pick it back up because it's so creepy. Really good though, I would definitely recommend it.
Also reading Rebel Buddha which is good--I like it better than What Makes You Not a Buddhist. Rebel Buddha seems to have a more positive tone. I also found the constant very time-specific (2009 or so) pop culture and political references in WMYNAB to be really distracting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146 ... 211  Next